IA IA - David Schultz, 53, Wall Lake, 21 November 2023 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's still like that. US 218 is still the main N/S route through Eastern Iowa and trucks are thick. Over in the area we're talking about, US 20 is the primary E/W route, same thing. But they're both well maintained now with nice wide shoulders. You're right, the idea of being unseen is laughable.

The route DS took was high visibility until he turned north on 71. That little stretch was the only opportunity where he probably wouldn't be seen in the middle of the night.
Thanks for the verification/upgrade on the road and traffic. As you say the end of ramp/stop sign is desolate (as far as I've seen and pics of) and dark. Also, US20 appears to be quite distant from the stop/intersection and elevated.
Passing heavy traffic on 20, either way would have to be concentrating to see any vehicles(truck-car) down there.
I believe this spot was selected for the "take control" of David. Who is most likely to hold a killing grudge against him, is familiar with this intersection, and the route he takes (only sensible one) from loading to delivery. Ideally would be someone who ran a load with or carefully followed in a car/pickup as he made the same load the day before.
If this is what happened; at this location, and the subsequent placing of the rig, it is not something set up on the fly.
There is some common denominator that built this. I think the discussion of the "cartel" involvement is too much.
But, say state level, county level, packer labor, loading help, etc, are all as probable and just as deadly in some cases.
Arms length, unknowingly handling drugs and then refusing more could well trigger reprisal at one of these levels.
Stretch to the overall operational personnel in the business and relatives could be able to mount the operation.
Logically, he is dead by now. No body, no where found, no manner of death, pretty well goes unsolved.
If unsolved; no insurance for many years, truck if in his name only cannot be sold (unless a will exists defining admin).
Lack of a logical motive and no body located defies us here and also LE to some extent.

Have there been any weird stories about Prestage Farms in the news? Searching the internet, can't find much but just wondering if locals know of any shenanigans flying under the radar?

I found it really odd how the sheriff points out that the hog pit was drained there, then back tracking and saying it was due to be drained that day anyway. Funny, that's not where my mind went at first when he was missing. Wonder why the sheriff found it necessary to point that out?

Have there been any weird stories about Prestage Farms in the news? Searching the internet, can't find much but just wondering if locals know of any shenanigans flying under the radar?

I found it really odd how the sheriff points out that the hog pit was drained there, then back tracking and saying it was due to be drained that day anyway. Funny, that's not where my mind went at first when he was missing. Wonder why the sheriff found it necessary to point that out?
VERY MUCH SO MOO**** I think this is because honestly as crazy as it sounds, theres an old saying hogs eat everything, so for me before knowing the details its easy to think he got into an altercation while loading someone maybe pushed him in the pit. Thats the only reason i think he mentioned it tbh that was one of my first thoughts until i saw it was baby pigs.

The only thing I can say is during the VERY early days of this investigation the amount of people calling for and demanding the pit to be drained was vast. We talked about it on the first thread here for page, so MOO he pointed it out to quiet the roars of the people who wanted the pit drained and to clear the suspicion which is fair for everyone if they did drain the pit and nothing was there. MOO

I’ve been wondering if LE has a POI and possibly waiting on testing to come back or a body before they can make a move. I’m assuming there’s been search warrants for DS’s phone and truck. Does anyone know of any others?

Strange to me, your mention of Prestage Farms. They were big here in North Mississippi on hog raising for several years. The closing of Bryan Bros Packing Co/ Sara Lee in West Point apparently eliminated their footprint in this area.
We are still big in chicken tho....
As an aside, I seem to recall some statement or reference to the fact this facility was being "emptied". Do not know if it meant shut down or a removal of all hogs, cleanup/disinfect/repair/remodel/ enlarge. etc. But it seems logical the pit would be drained at some point in this "overhaul". We did similar here in MS during broiler production. A complete empty, clean, rebed litter, new batch of chicks.

Strange to me, your mention of Prestage Farms. They were big here in North Mississippi on hog raising for several years. The closing of Bryan Bros Packing Co/ Sara Lee in West Point apparently eliminated their footprint in this area.
We are still big in chicken tho....
As an aside, I seem to recall some statement or reference to the fact this facility was being "emptied". Do not know if it meant shut down or a removal of all hogs, cleanup/disinfect/repair/remodel/ enlarge. etc. But it seems logical the pit would be drained at some point in this "overhaul". We did similar here in MS during broiler production. A complete empty, clean, rebed litter, new batch of chicks.
There is a large meat packing plant in Eagle Grove that was recently built. That is called Prestage Foods, not Prestage Farms if you look it up, but I believe they are the same company.

The facility where David loaded was not being shut down or remodeled. The pit was to be emptied soon. The manure pits in modern pig barns are normally under the barn and the floors have slots in them for the little piggy's waste to drain into the pit below. The pits are drained or emptied in the fall after harvest or in the early spring before planting and the manure is spread over the fields as fertilizer. Nothing strange about any of that IMO.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The investigation covered all points of his trip. Starting with were the baby pigs were picked up on a farm north of Eagle Grove. The farm was searched, and the manure pit under the hogs was pumped and drained.

“The pit has been pumped, that was scheduled to be pumped anyway,” said Sac County Sheriff Kenneth McClure. “So we learned that he made it, he loaded, and he left, so that kind of for us took the focus away from that immediate area.” Retracing last known locations of missing Sac County trucker

I live in Iowa. This case is extremely mysterious. For me, I keep going back to the semi. It wasn't going in the direction where the hogs were to be dropped off. It wasn't pulled over on the side of the road and it was not still running. Was it staged? Truck turned off and keys still in it. Wallet and phone left inside as well. An 18-wheeler parked in the middle of a paved highway with live hogs in the back would most likely be located quicker than being on the side of the highway. He wouldn't have wanted the pigs to be left alone for long. (Although, unfortunately for LE and the piglets that didn't happen) It's just something that I keep going back to. That semi. Curious what others think. Love this forum. This is the first time I have ever posted.

I live in Iowa. This case is extremely mysterious. For me, I keep going back to the semi. It wasn't going in the direction where the hogs were to be dropped off. It wasn't pulled over on the side of the road and it was not still running. Was it staged? Truck turned off and keys still in it. Wallet and phone left inside as well. An 18-wheeler parked in the middle of a paved highway with live hogs in the back would most likely be located quicker than being on the side of the highway. He wouldn't have wanted the pigs to be left alone for long. (Although, unfortunately for LE and the piglets that didn't happen) It's just something that I keep going back to. That semi. Curious what others think. Love this forum. This is the first time I have ever posted.
Welcome, @tilley1936!

Hi, I've read up on these threads and this story reminds me so much of the case of poor young Dylan Rounds, a hard working young farming man from Utah:

UT - UT - Dylan Rounds, 19, wkg on farm, “weird run-in” with a guy walking on gravel rd, no phone & CC activity, Lucin, Box Elder Co, 25 May 2022

All the same theories on whether he could have walked away from his life and family or self-harmed were raised. There were also a couple of strange recent events had happened to him, transpired to be complete red herrings. The searching and surveillance all came to nothing.

The sad fact of the matter is that young Dylan needed to slightly change his plans that day he was taken from this world in order to get his grain truck undercover and sheltered from rain. An older local man who lived on the edge of DR's property shot and killed Dylan and hid his body (never recovered to this day). This was not known for many months but the truth was finally 'told' when footage from Dylan's mobile phone camera was retrieved.

Going back to DS - sadly it is my opinion that something similar has happened to him. He was headed to his drop off and either someone with a grievance against him knew where to lie in wait -or- something happened at the drop off point IMO. Someone took over his truck, drove it slowly probably due to difficulty and abandoned it far enough away from the scene of the crime to cause confusion. I know people say that driving one of these trucks is impossible but I agree that local farming and livestock folk probably learn how to drive every type of vehicle from a really young age.

JMO but I don't think DS would abandon his family, would fail to deliver the pigs and in fact abandon the vulnerable livestock, or leave his personal possessions inc licence and cash, then leave his truck parked unlit dangerously where it could cause harm, injury, or even death. I don't believe any of that.
JMO but I suspect he fell foul of some totally random unpredictable circumstance which led to a dispute -or- this is personal and someone who knows him and his route knew where to lie in wait. I even wonder whether he had a passing incident with a fellow truck driver who was due to be at the drop off station with their load either before or after him? What do we know of this station and how many loads it took / was expecting whilst unmanned? Or whether even a member of staff was still around?

JMO MOO

Another day, another day without LE press conference, another day without an update from Sac County Sheriff's Office.

Personally I think this says something about the state of the investigation. This isn't receiving the attention a potential abduction would receive, nor even a missing person.

Yes, and I find that quite curious.
im catching up so forgive me.
this sheriff's dept doesn't seem to care about missing people. when the other guy went missing, they shrugged and told his sister, "he'll probably turn up in a pond in a few years." they did even less for him than they did for dave, and i believe he was found on a search FOR dave... beyond the searches that occurred however i am not sure any investigative process is going on here... but i still have 7 pages of reading to catch up on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Houndgirl2003