IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #10

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
In the video the reporter says the road is blocked off, they have K-9 dogs, a flood light, and they are searching the cornfield row by row. Whatever it is, it is important enough to light up a cornfield at night and use dogs. I hope it is not bad news. :(

Sounds like a search for a suspect.

If it was a child who wandered into the cornfield, they'd put out the call for volunteers.

That happened earlier this summer, a four year old girl wandered into a corn field. They had volunteers to go through the first corn field and it was about 10 pm when they'd combed that field.

LE was about to call it a day but one of the volunteers noticed that the next corn field had been planted corn on corn (meaning that the stalks from last year were still on the ground). He reasoned that a barefoot 4 year old girl wouldn't go far on that footing, so he talked them into going into that field.

Within 10 minutes, one of the searchers heard a little girl calling "Daddy?" And there she was, just far enough into the second corn field so she couldn't be seen from the road.

They said some of those volunteers covered 8 miles or more in the search. And walking through a corn field is nothing like walking on your lawn. The footing is very difficult.

Such a happy ending.

That we know of. :confused:

I agree Cindersoot, things can happen in the seclusion of a cornfield here in Iowa. Who knows the girls could have gotten lost in a cornfield. Most fields are several acres if not a hundred acres or more...

I saw this on the news last night! My heart skipped a beat HOPING they weren't searching for these girls UNLESS someone took them to the middle of a cornfield, ran, and left them there (giving themselves time to get away) and MAYBE they will be found alive?:please:

I would hope that an Iowa kid would have the sense to know that if you just pick a row and keep following it, you will eventually come to the edge of the field, where there is likely to be a road. Don't keep crossing rows, you won't get anywhere that way.

Iowa was laid out on the Jeffersonian grid, where there is a road bordering every square mile. Most of those roads are gravel roads but if you pick a direction and keep following it, you will eventually see a house or another road. Keep going and eventually you will find yourself on hardtop, where it will be easy to flag down a vehicle.

So then I guess no parents showed up for this? Correct me if I'm wrong.

:fence:

I did see on KCRG last night a clip about this right before I fell asleep (not sure if there is a link on the website). There was a quick clip that showed Heather and Drew thanking everyone and talking about how having a child missing is strange...going from 4 to 3 children or something like that (paraphrasing) - sorry I was drifting off- but I do believe they were there.

Please remember the following when discussing the case:
Websleuths is a moderated forum. We strive to discuss cases in a friendly environment.

Things to know before you post:
Leave the snark -- and the rumors --at the door.
Treat other posters with respect.
Do not sleuth individuals who have not been mentioned in MSM either as persons of interest or as suspects by LE.
Choose the links you post wisely; don't link to sites which feature bizarre speculation, etc.
If you have questions or concerns about a post, alert on that post and contact a mod. Do not quote and/or reply to the post. If you do, and the post is subsequently deleted, your post is subject to deletion, as well.
If you have other questions in general, scroll to the bottom of the page and find "View forum leaders." There you will find a list of moderators available if you need to PM one.
Remember: you can disagree with a post and address it, but you do NOT attack the poster.

No one has been named by LE or MSM as a POI or suspect in this case.
The parents, whatever you may personally think about them, have not been named.
That means that they, and their families, their neighbors, and their friends and "associates," are not to be sleuthed or badmouthed.

Please continue here...
bumping this up. Again.

I remember that my mom did. She'd make us look at the clock ("Oh Mooooommm! We wanna go play!!!") and then she'd give us our time limit and have us figure out for her what time it would be when we'd done playing for X hours and minutes (usually around an hour and a half).

It just got to be routine and we hardly noticed it.

Also, if Grandma Cook has favourite radio or TV shows around that time, that could have anchored her memory.

I don't think anyone has mentioned it recently but I find myself wondering if she kept an eye out the front window, saw Elizabeth and Lyric every 5 minutes or so and then when she didn't see them for 15 minutes, that's why she started searching for them.

She was clearly assuming that they'd gone somewhere or were at a friend's house, something of that sort, because although she was searching, it doesn't sound like she was particularly worried.

Just expanding on your thoughts Gramma may also be more aware of the time since Heather has a medical condition which may involve medication needs or certain things that Heather needs to do at certain times for her health. Given Gramma was over there helping Heather and assisting with the kids she may have been conscious of the time because of the needs of the kids or Heather or the scheduled routine of Heather's household..

Underlined by me.
Reminds me of the HaLeigh Cummings case.
All the drugs and 'bad' acquaintances.
Jail times. Rap sheets, etc.
They're bashed here daily on our 'victim friendly' board but are not considered person's of interest by LE.
Ron has actually been cleared. <shrug>
Wonder what the difference is?

catching up on what I missed but wanted to say - Good Point!

The other common thought is "I'm not like those people, the ones you see if you google 'faces of meth'. Those people are losers and would have problems with drinking coffee. I'm different."

My stepson had problems with substance abuse and was ordered to go to AA (in violation of the Constitution but I wasn't about to point that one out to him!). He came back from the first meeting and said "I have nothing in common with those guys. They're all drunks!"

Words failed us.

There were some rough years there but he came through them and is raising his little girl and being a responsible member of the community now.

I am glad that your stepson is now doing well!

AA is not for everyone. Every meeting I went to left me stinking like ciggarrete smoke...even the non-smoking meetings were held in a building that was permeated by years of chain smokers. (Contrary to popular belief, not every alcoholic hangs out in bars and curses up a blue streak!)

Many of the people I met there had been sober for years and were still battling the urge to drink...I wanted to be rid of that urge, not fight it for the rest of my life! AA meetings used to be the only alternative for alcoholics trying to recover. Professional inpatient medical treatment is much more widely available now, and that is what worked for me.

Not bashing AA, the program is a valuable guide for those who truly want to recover. For me, finding strength through faith in God's grace is more helpful than AA meetings. I find opportunities to reach out to other alcoholics by sharing my experience whenever the subject comes up. You'd be surprised how easy it is to spot someone who needs help, once you've been there done that! :moo:

That's why I cringe a little bit when I see people doubting the sincerity of these parents who are at least trying to seek God. Recovery doesn't come easy, and personal stress makes it even harder. They are struggling but they are not hopeless!

I don't know what this means, can you please elaborate

It just that ..an archive of L & E's case. Pics, documents, articles, videos, etc. Good to have. I don't know if's linked at the beginning of the thread or in the Media Thread. I'd like to see Oillipops pics in the Media Thread also.

I remember that my mom did. She'd make us look at the clock ("Oh Mooooommm! We wanna go play!!!") and then she'd give us our time limit and have us figure out for her what time it would be when we'd done playing for X hours and minutes (usually around an hour and a half).

It just got to be routine and we hardly noticed it.

Also, if Grandma Cook has favourite radio or TV shows around that time, that could have anchored her memory.

I don't think anyone has mentioned it recently but I find myself wondering if she kept an eye out the front window, saw Elizabeth and Lyric every 5 minutes or so and then when she didn't see them for 15 minutes, that's why she started searching for them.

She was clearly assuming that they'd gone somewhere or were at a friend's house, something of that sort, because although she was searching, it doesn't sound like she was particularly worried.

I thought Granny C was at Elizabeths house and helping E's Mom.

Were these kids usually in this neighborhood and werre they usually together?

Did they play with any other children in the immediate area?

I don't know what this means, can you please elaborate

great place to track down those elusive links when you just know you read something and discussed it two threads ago but can't quite recall exactly where in the threads.

It just that ..an archive of L & E's case. Pics, documents, articles, videos, etc. Good to have. I don't know if's linked at the beginning of the thread or in the Media Thread. I'd like to see Oillipops pics in the Media Thread also.

Just wondering if there's a particular pic to be referenced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammyb1025