IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #11

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Otto, the gate is right where the jetty is. My pic, with arrow, shows the curve I always felt TG was talking about.

Thanks ... The jetty is the drainage pipe, so it makes sense that there would be a gate at that area, however, there in no curve in the trail there. The trail is straight all long that stretch - parallel to the highway. Also, in the area where you have the red arrow, there is only a single fence. The double fence leaves the trail and seems to end about 100 feet to the east of the red arrow.

meyers_lake_fences.jpg

As a side note, the picture with TG and the officers is very interesting. My reading of their body language suggests they were not taking what he had to say very seriously. I don't know if this has anything to do with the fact that they continually stated they had no knowledge of this witness, but its something to consider.

It's possible that the location where he saw bikes on the trail is different than where the bikes were found at 4 that afternoon.

Thanks ... The jetty is the drainage pipe, so it makes sense that there would be a gate at that area, however, there in no curve in the trail there. The trail is straight all long that stretch - parallel to the highway.
Ollipop said that there is a little hill along with that curve and you can't see what's ahead until you clear it. I would think at bike speed you'd be to the gate area pretty quick after you cleared the hill and curve. moo:moo:

I originally thought that too, but for the cyclist to come around a curve, I think it has to be to the east. Also, I'm assuming that this photo was taken at the location of the bikes (cyclist and investigators)

meyerslakecyclist.jpg

Thank you Otto!! :rocker:

I agree, the reason for going at night probably was to be subtle and not garner the attention of the public or the media (so much for that lol). I do not think it could be a timeline reenactment because time of day, traffic, etc are all going to affect the outcome and what is possible at night may not be in day and vice versa.

JMO........ retrieving data from cameras they placed there.

Thanks ... The jetty is the drainage pipe, so it makes sense that there would be a gate at that area, however, there in no curve in the trail there. The trail is straight all long that stretch - parallel to the highway.

Yes! I have wondered about this. I have seen maps showing where the bikes were found by the gate, but can't see what would be TGs "blind curve"? Looks like it is straight as can be to me?

Thanks for the map/photos Otto! Great job--I so appreciate the visuals.

Nothing has really changed. It's no safer nor more dangerous to live in Iowa or to be a kid in Iowa than it was a month ago.

It's people's perception of danger that has changed.

And yet, if a child were killed due to being struck by lightning (roughly as likely as disappearing forever), there wouldn't be this level of panic over thunderstorms.

Statistically, children in Iowa are far more likely to die of drowning (half of them within 25 feet of their parent(s)) and yet there are parents who don't think swimming lessons are necessary.

Human risk assessment is a very strange thing.

Because a thunderstorm isn't a predator.

A thunderstorm is an act of mother nature.

Don't really see that comparison.

An abduction by a sexual predator is a thought out
planned out crime of evil against a defensive child.

JMO........ retrieving data from cameras they placed there.

interesting hypothesis. If so, wonder who or what their intended model was. Maybe creepy campers or fisherman, or regular lake visitors familiar with the trail and shoreline of lake? hmmm. Interesting hypothesis indeed. Thanks for the food for thought.

Here's an aerial map of Meyers Lake with Ollipop's photos inserted. I've been thinking that since Lyric was taught what to do if she ran into trouble, maybe she left a clue somewhere between the abduction and entering a vehicle. I wonder if her older brother would have some insight into what she would do. I wonder, if he were to walk between where the bikes were found and the pump house, would he find a clue?

meyers_lake_Collins_Cook.jpg

Do we have any pictures of the views right beside where the double-fenced area starts and ends, towards the lake? I'm particularly interested in the east, closest to Maiden and the grassy possible parking area.

I'm trying to sort out where the perp might have walked the girls. How did they leave?

And can someone please remind me which house was unoccupied and for sale (with a sign)? Folks would know that there'd be nobody in it to witness the walk to a vehicle, so they may have used it to shield themselves from view from other places.

I am starting to have Aunt Tammy withdrawals. At least SOMEBODY was talking!! JEEZ!! I'm needing an update!!

I don't think Aunt Tammy is going to give another interview. The reporters would ask questions about her children and family that she probably would not want in the nationwide media. IMO

Ok, now I am a little creeped out. I posted this a few days ago,

bike trail in george wyth - m4w - 30 (waterloo)

i passed by you we caught i contact, you were wearing a blue tank top and black shorts. you had glasses on. if this is you and you remember this happening tell me what color bike i have or something u noticed about me. i hope you see this cause i would like to talk to you

Didn't someone report that the girls had been visiting this Wyeth park in the weeks previous to the abduction?

If Lyric wore glasses, maybe this was directed at her?

I can't say it was for her or not but
My theory has always been that she had a stalker,someone that knew she rode her bike daily. The perp may have started up a conversation at some point earlier in the week while riding and said to meet him at the spot the bikes where found, to see his puppy or some other lure. Then down the path to his waiting car at the pump house. They wouldn't have told anyone cause they weren't allowed to go that far from home. Think what other time was she alone without supervision, I think it was planned earlier in the week sometime. I mean if the perp is out riding his bike daily and they are too. How small is the town and the chances of them bumping into each other

I notice Gilbert Drive becomes Deerwood Park Road and seems to lead to campground area. campground is approx 1- 2 miles from where the bikes were found on bike trail at meyers lake.

ETA I was focused on truckers and commuters but someone camping or a person with an rv would also fit my theory of abduction. hmm.

Sigh, so many possibilities, and still no girls. I really hope the FBI is right in their belief that the girls are alive.

Yes I agree Local LE have said that in many cases,

However... I have never heard the FBI say it.... They always hold things tight to their vest...

But what Tangible evidence would mean they are alive... :waitasec:

Taking a fast guess, and thinking if something very important was missing from the purse, like an epi-pen or inhaler ect., that might indicate a person is alive... hopefully.

Or a note?

Forgive me for not being up on the geographical layout of the area, but I have two thoughts:
1) if someone were laying in the path, pretending to be hurt, might the girls have gotten off their bikes and gone over the them? Then a second perp comes up from behind and they are cut-off?
2) since they have been reported as being seen on Lake Dr often - let's say they were "crusing" past a house - they may have been snatched right off the street (for instance, Lake and Evans), preps dumped the bikes on the trail to delay discovery, and away they went. Does that make sense? Perhaps it's already been suggested. Sorry, if so.

Because a thunderstorm isn't a predator.

A thunderstorm is an act of mother nature.

Don't really see that comparison.

An abduction by a sexual predator is a thought out
planned out crime of evil against a defensive child.

Deliberate or act of nature, the risk is about the same.

Actually, statistically the single riskiest thing parents can do is put their children in their car and drive them somewhere.

Yet most of the parents I've talked to who say they would never do this or they always do that for fear of a child predator have never considered taking a yearly driver refresher course (available for less than $100 in Iowa via many community colleges) so that their driving skills stay sharp.

I am always bemused at human risk assessment and what humans will or won't do in response.

OK, that pump house question was bothering me so I called the Evansdale Parks and Rec and Iowa DNR. I was told that DNR stocks fish in Meyers lake and the "pump house" is not that at all, it is a SEWER LIFT STATION. THe lady I talked to said it is maintained by the city and locked at all times, there is now way the girls could have gotten in there or perp did something there to hide the girls....

:tyou:

Thank you so much! I wasn't really thinking about the girls being hidden there -- although I certainly hope that LE would check -- I was curious about who would do any needed work at what we now know is a sewer lift station ( :tyou: ). That person or persons would most likely have knowledge of the Maiden Lane area.

:yesss:
Fantastic job with the pictures, otto! Thank you! Thank you, too, ollipop!

:tyou:

Thank you so much! I wasn't really thinking about the girls being hidden there -- although I certainly hope that LE would check -- I was curious about who would do any needed work at what we now know is a sewer lift station ( :tyou: ). That person or persons would most likely have knowledge of the Maiden Lane area.

:yesss:
Fantastic job with the pictures, otto! Thank you! Thank you, too, ollipop!

Yep, these persons and wanted to add that any local teens or locals who spent teen years in the area might also know of and make use of this little spot.

I am thinking it looks nice and secluded, and wonder if Ollipop or one of our other locals could offer up opinions on if this area is used by teens as a place to pull in and party, makeout or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammyb1025