IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #20

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would have thought the LE had already checked everything on any computers the girls and/or family had access to long before now.

Waiting to see what KWWL has to say. Why hasn't this come out on any other station or media?

http://www.kwwl.com/story/20025811/special-report

Gerard Meyers, Special Agent in Charge of the Crime Against Children's Task Force, has been a part of the investigation since the beginning.

"There was some information that we found on the computers but I'm not at liberty to speak to that. It was definitely a successful result, but it wasn't a smoking gun or we would have the case closed. But it's definitely resulted in a significant number of leads," Meyers said.

As to why it is taking so long, I don't know but I have some guesses.

For one thing, when I look at the size of my email folder, the thought of reading every single one of those emails is daunting. To say the least. If the girls didn't have an obvious email address assigned only to them, if they were using one of the web based email addresses (such as gmail), then it could have taken a while to even figure out that email address existed.

After combing through all the information on the computer, then investigators would have to track down all the people the girls interacted with online. The vast majority of those people would be innocent, of course, but they still have to be ruled out. Most of them would be easy to rule out but there's bound to be more than one who wasn't that easy to rule out.

And that doesn't even include forensic computing, where information that had been deleted is found and examined.

20025811_BG1.jpg

The ICAC Task Force was created to help Federal, State and local law enforcement agencies enhance their investigative responses to offenders who use the Internet, online communication systems, or computer technology to sexually exploit children. The Program is funded by the United States Department of Justice, Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention.

​​The ICAC Program is a national network of 61 coordinated task forces representing over 3,000 federal, state, and local law enforcement and prosecutorial agencies. These agencies are engaged in proactive investigations, forensic investigations, and criminal prosecutions. Learn how to become a member of the Task Force.

http://www.icactaskforce.org/Pages/Home.aspx

"There was some information that we found on the computers but I'm not at liberty to speak to that. It was definitely a successful result, but it wasn't a smoking gun or we would have the case closed. But it's definitely resulted in a significant number of leads," Meyers said.

The main focus of the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation's Crime Against Children's Task Force is investigating digital communication between children and potential abductors. Special Agent Meyer's department is trying to discover whether abductions in Iowa are part of a bigger problem - child trafficking.

"When I started back in 2004, I didn't know there would be any child trafficking in the state of Iowa," Meyers said. "I've been surprised in that regard."

http://m.kwwl.com/default.aspx?pid=...y/20025811/special-report?clienttype=rssstory

http://qctimes.com/news/local/crime...11e2-96cd-001a4bcf887a.html?comment_form=true
" Girls from Iowa are the victims of human trafficking, a crime that is on the rise globally, a local expert said during a presentation Sunday.

Educator Jane Hoffman is a member of Braking Traffik, an organization focused on stopping sexual and labor exploitation in the Quad-Cities. She presented “Human Trafficking” on Sunday afternoon at Bettendorf Presbyterian Church, 1200 Middle Road, Bettendorf. Forty people attended the session, which was open to the public, about the problem of human trafficking, particularly in the Quad-City area and Iowa region".

"In her presentation, Hoffman referred to domestic minor sex trafficking, saying that there are 2.4 million victims of human trafficking worldwide.

Many are runaways, she said, who often are spotted within 24 hours after they leave home. Many are “befriended” by men who do not tell them what they will be doing to earn food and shelter.

Hoffman showed a short film, “Do You Know Lacy?” featuring a real-life story about a girl was approached by a boy who learned her routines and made their meetings seem accidental. The girl skipped school to meet with the boy, who at first appeared to like her.He kept saying he needed money, and ultimately the girl earned money for him when he began “renting” her for sex, often forcing her to have sex with 10 different men in one night"

Bbm

I am speculating, but it kind of sounds like they met someone though the Internet, and LE was able to somehow figure out this person is involved in the trafficking business.

On trafficking or general predation and exploitation of children.

So what I have gleaned from this latest info:

LE suspects that someone one or both of the girls had some form of communication with online may be involved somehow in their disappearance or lead to info about what happened.

SUPOSITION: I know these girls are missed and loved by their families. And yes, runaways and "throwaway" kids are a much better target or business model for those in the business of trafficking or exploiting childen.

NOT POINTING FINGERS OR BASHING EITHER SET OF PARENTS HERE

Lyric has had a pretty topsy turvy life what with mom and dad having their past and/or present issues.

Lizzie's mom has had ongoing health issues.

Both of these factors could result in both girls being vulnerable to a skilled predator.

I am not saying that an organized trafficking swooped in and took the girls in some organized criminal endeavor. Based on this new information, I am willing to entertain the idea that this abduction was not some random crime of opportunity. Instead, it may be a matter of one or both of the girls lost enough in the shuffle of ongoing family drama to be vulnerable to a practiced predator/manipulator.

If you have access to the fb page, Kent Smock (LE in charge of the girl's case of Evansdale PD, I think) has posted. They have had this info for months. No new information. He's dispelling all the rumors (hmmm kwwl..) Someone should get him to come over here..

KS's fb link (it's not on there but the other fb private page)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/272135809553049/#!/kent.smock

Delete this if needed.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/272135809553049/

Thanks. I wondered that after reading that article last night.

Where are the girls? :(

NOT suggesting anyone sleuth this young man. I wonder if the girls had access to any computer, cell phone, game system, etc. that the teenage son of Lyric's father owned. Wonder if they ever came into contact with any of that young man's peers/associates?

I can't see anything in the article that suggests that Lyric and Elizabeth are in any way connected with child trafficking.

Regarding computer searches, it sounds like the computer was searched and all the people that were electronically connected with either girl have been checked ... but no smoking gun ... so no solid connection to their disappearance.

NOT suggesting anyone sleuth this young man. I wonder if the girls had access to any computer, cell phone, game system, etc. that the teenage son of Lyric's father owned. Wonder if they ever came into contact with any of that young man's peers/associates?

I had wondered back in July if any of his friends might have been involved somehow. It would make sense that Lyric could have become friends online with some of them (or even just one) who had less than savory contacts on there. I really see Elizabeth as a bonus to them because it doesn't sound like she really had her own access, and would probably have a harder time communicating with older people in text since she was so young. I know some intelligent 8 year olds, but most of them are not great typists.

Disappointing that this new "lead" is not so new, but great news that it was found at all I suppose!

It is a massive leap from "information" on the home computers to "trafficking". If they had found someone grooming Lizzie or Lyric, I dare say they would already be in custody...unless we are looking at a really high tech pedophile who can hide his tracks.

:dunno:

For all we know, they may have found something suspicious that another family member had looked up, like the chloroform search on the computer belonging to the Anthonys.

Proving who was driving the computer at the time is tricky.

:cow:

Dan's pretrial hearing is tomorrow. I wonder if it will be delayed again? The change of venue was denied but wasn't the judge going to poll jurors from other cases to see what they thought?

It will be interesting to see what happens tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member