IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #25

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Authorities have said they’re close to classifying the case as a homicide but will not do so until the State Medical Examiner’s Office identifies the cause of death.

Investigators said they hoped the discovery of the girls’ bodies would provide evidence that furthered the case.

Smock, in an interview Friday, said he had no updates on the progress of the investigation. But he agreed that finding the perpetrators is critical for the town’s healing.

“I don’t think we’re going to see a full sense of closure until the person or persons responsible are brought before the courts and held responsible for their actions,” he said.

The past five months have been a struggle for Lyric’s and Elizabeth’s immediate and extended family alike, said the girls’ aunt Tammy Brousseau.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20121229/NEWS/312290063/?odyssey=nav|head

I feel so terrible for Wylma - I truly believe she will feel Lyric's loss more than anyone else:

Lyric lived with her grandmother Wylma Cook for much of her short life. Reminders of the girl are everywhere in Cook’s modest two-story home on Waterloo’s east side, from her art projects on the fridge to stuffed animals in the bedroom the two shared.

For Cook, night time is the hardest. That’s when she and Lyric would sit in bed, hold hands and talk. Lyric’s stuffed dog, Max, still rests on her side of the bed.

Cook said Lyric’s custom-made urn will bear a phrase the two used to share each night before falling asleep: “I love you, good night.”

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20121229/NEWS/312290063/?odyssey=nav|head

The urn. :( poor Wylma.

We have to call it a rumor because it came from FB. I had the link originally but the original FB page has since been combined with another page and you can't access the original.

Anyway...a gal whose son works at Fareway confirmed that her son had been questioned by LE twice regarding the girls stopping at Fareway and asking for directions to the lake.

She went into detail about her son being questioned and the other gal who was with her son also confirmed what she'd said.

I don't believe it to be made up. However...to make a long story short, yes it's rumor because of where it derived, however I'm considering it fact that the girls stopped at Fareway and asked for directions to the lake the day they went missing.

If the children needed directions to the lake, then it can't be true that Elizabeth regularly rode her bike to the lake or to Lake Avenue.

How awful. And who would look at a 13 year old as a lethal threat?

Even in this day and age of forensics at the molecular level, the most common way crimes are solved is still the same as it was in 1912 and 1812: someone talks where LE hears about it. Modern forensics can prove a theory to a much greater degree than back then but it's old fashioned talk between humans that points the way.

GrainneDhu, imo, it is a combination of forensics technology upgrades such as FBI CODIS, and tips from the American public, which is enhanced by the age of communication that effectively solve crimes. Especially when recidivist sexual predators & violent felons are involved.
Imo, when the antiquated close to the vest investigative strategies of the 1800 & 1900s are adhered too. The cases most often grow cold...

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/lab/biometric-analysis/codis/ndis-statistics/#Iowa

CODIS—NDIS Statistics

Measuring Success
The National DNA Index (NDIS) contains over 10,043,800 offender1 profiles, 1,307,300 arrestee profiles and 461,900 forensic profiles as of November 2012. Ultimately, the success of the CODIS program will be measured by the crimes it helps to solve. CODIS’s primary metric, the “Investigation Aided,” tracks the number of criminal investigations where CODIS has added value to the investigative process. As of November 2012, CODIS has produced over 195,600 hits assisting in more than 187,700 investigations.

Iowa

Statistical Information Total
Offender Profiles 76,019
Arrestee 0
Forensic Profiles 4,067
NDIS Participating Labs 1
Investigations Aided 1,024

Kansas

Offender Profiles 80,475
Arrestee 48,705
Forensic Profiles 4,692
NDIS Participating Labs 5
Investigations Aided 1,704

http://thegazette.com/2012/12/28/memorials-for-girls-is-fitting/

The Evansdale Chamber of Commerce has asked the City Council to declare July 13 of each year “Elizabeth and Lyric Day” in honor of young cousins Lyric Cook-Morrissey and Elizabeth Collins, whose bodies were found earlier this month after they had been missing since July 13.

Additionally, a host of possible permanent memorials was discussed at a recent Evansdale City Council meeting, with no decisions reached. The city’s parks and recreation board, which would have final say over any park initiatives, meets Jan. 7.

Another suggestion was a splash park, similar to Mark’s Park near the Riverfront Amphitheater in downtown Waterloo. That space is named after Mark Young, the son of Rick and Cathy Young who died in a March 2003 motorcycle accident.

The splash park idea was a favorite of Drew and Heather Collins, Elizabeth’s parents. “We basically spent our summers at Lost Island. They (Elizabeth and Lyric) loved going there,” Heather Collins said.

http://thegazette.com/2012/12/28/memorials-for-girls-is-fitting/

GrainneDhu, imo, it is a combination of forensics technology upgrades such as FBI CODIS, and tips from the American public, which is enhanced by the age of communication that effectively solve crimes. Especially when recidivist sexual predators & violent felons are involved.
Imo, when the antiquated close to the vest investigative strategies of the 1800 & 1900s are adhered too. The cases most often grow cold...

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/lab/biometric-analysis/codis/ndis-statistics/#Iowa

CODIS—NDIS Statistics

Measuring Success
The National DNA Index (NDIS) contains over 10,043,800 offender1 profiles, 1,307,300 arrestee profiles and 461,900 forensic profiles as of November 2012. Ultimately, the success of the CODIS program will be measured by the crimes it helps to solve. CODIS’s primary metric, the “Investigation Aided,” tracks the number of criminal investigations where CODIS has added value to the investigative process. As of November 2012, CODIS has produced over 195,600 hits assisting in more than 187,700 investigations.

Iowa

Offender Profiles 76,019
Arrestee 0
Forensic Profiles 4,067
NDIS Participating Labs 1
Investigations Aided 1,024

Kansas

Offender Profiles 80,475
Arrestee 48,705
Forensic Profiles 4,692
NDIS Participating Labs 5
Investigations Aided 1,704

But none of these modern methods will help identify a perp who is a first time offender with no DNA or fingerprints in the system.

Also, if a perp IS in the system but left behind no fingerprints or DNA at a crime scene, what good is all of this technology?

Modern techniques may prove the guilt or innocence of an individual, but a perp is often identified by LE through "antiquated" methods. JMO

I was thinking the same thing, Otto. Elizabeth would know how to get there if she went there regularly.

I have always doubted the report from the lawn watering man and his wife, where they said that Elizabeth rode her bike to their street every night and that she visited with people on the block.

If the girls asked for directions to the park, then I think that someone told them that something special was going on at the park. I really doubt that they all-of-a-sudden decided to go there on their own, especially if they didn't know how to get there.

They were headed away from the house and away from Fareway store when they were seen on video. The Fareway store appears to be about a block East of the house. Maybe they turned right/South on River Forest Road, went one block, rode East to the Fareway store and then headed South on Elmer.

I have never given much credence to the idea that Elizabeth was a frequnt visitor or bike rider to the lake or on the bike trail. I bellieve her family is correct when they say she did not stray far from home.

Not suggesting the witness regarding seeing her often beyond her boundaries is lying, just mistaken.

I have always doubted the report from the lawn watering man and his wife, where they said that Elizabeth rode her bike to their street every night and that she visited with people on the block.

If the girls asked for directions to the park, then I think that someone told them that something special was going on at the park. I really doubt that they all-of-a-sudden decided to go there on their own, especially if they didn't know how to get there.

They were headed away from the house and away from Fareway store when they were seen on video. The Fareway store appears to be about a block East of the house. Maybe they turned right/South on River Forest Road, went one block, rode East to the Fareway store and then headed South on Elmer.

I, too, always doubted the lawn-watering man's story. For one, eyewitness accounts are not the most reliable. Two, he could easily have confused Lizzie with another little girl. Three, I did not get the impression from Heather that Lizzie would be permitted to travel that far-and especially on a regular basis. If Lizzie was riding her bike that far, I think she would have had to be doing it without her parents' knowledge and permission. I can see her getting away with it once or twice, but had she disobeyed her parents on a regular basis(enough to have nightly conversations with people near the lake), I think she would've gotten caught. I don't see Lizzie being that kind of child, honestly.

So, basically, if we choose to believe this rumor, the girls were on a mission. They wanted to get to that lake. But why?

If they asked directions at Fareway store, the next question I have is, after arriving at Elmer/Gilbert (between 12:30-1:00), why didn't they ride into the parking area where there is a dock? Why go along Arbutus to perhaps cut across the grass (near the treed Maiden Lane area) to get to the SE tip of the lake? Given that the bikes were at the drainage gate lake, and assuming that the children put them there, then it really looks like they went through the gate, set down the purse and waited for someone or something. That takes me back to the shops along Brovan and the possibility that someone suggested that they go there for a reason that would be very interesting to two young girls ... lured with something - doesn't matter what.

I think IF the girls were headed to the skate park or the lake it was because they were lured there. The time they had to spare to meet this person would have been very short. I wonder if they knew this person had a vehicle an was assured that the bikes and girls could be returned to the Collins home in time using the vehicles.

IF the girls were lured I feel strongly that Lyric was the target and this person knew she would be spending the day in evansdale. My thoughts return again to the incdient a short time prior when Lyric and another cousin were MIA in Waterloo.

Elizabeth, I feel, would follow her older cousin's lead if Lyric reassured here this older, more adult person was okay and to be trusted as they were known.

IF the fairway rumors end up being valid (and again, that must be considered a rumor) then that would more firmly cement the notions that

A) the perp was known to at least one of the girls and luring had ocurred.
B) it is more likely that Lyric wass the primary target.
C) this was planned and forethought was involved rather than a spur of the moment act.

Just a theory based upon the rumor...Lizzie and Lyric, riding their bikes close to home(as they are supposed to) during their ride, they at some point converse with a person(s) who somehow got them to go to the lake. "Hey, I have a paddleboat at the lake. Meet me there!" Taking them in town may have been too risky, but the lake is more secluded. Girls agree to go to the lake, but discover they aren't sure how to get there. They go to the Fareway and ask for directions, perhaps even telling the store employees they were meeting someone there to ride a paddleboat. (Weren't LE originally looking for someone who may have been paddle boating on the lake that day?) girls race to the lake thinking they are going for paddleboat rides and boom. Perp lying in wait.

This is a possible route

Untitled-1.jpg

I, too, always doubted the lawn-watering man's story. For one, eyewitness accounts are not the most reliable. Two, he could easily have confused Lizzie with another little girl. Three, I did not get the impression from Heather that Lizzie would be permitted to travel that far-and especially on a regular basis. If Lizzie was riding her bike that far, I think she would have had to be doing it without her parents' knowledge and permission. I can see her getting away with it once or twice, but had she disobeyed her parents on a regular basis(enough to have nightly conversations with people near the lake), I think she would've gotten caught. I don't see Lizzie being that kind of child, honestly.

So, basically, if we choose to believe this rumor, the girls were on a mission. They wanted to get to that lake. But why?

The only reason I can think of for Lizzie being allowed to ride that far would be if she was visiting a friend. But Mr. C never mentioned seeing Lizzie stop at any particular house, just that she rode her bike on his block. So it doesn't sound to me like she was visiting anyone in particular.

Maybe Mr. C was mistaken about it being Lizzie who regularly rode on his block.

The only reason I can think of for Lizzie being allowed to ride that far would be if she was visiting a friend. But Mr. C never mentioned seeing Lizzie stop at any particular house, just that she rode her bike on his block. So it doesn't sound to me like she was visiting anyone in particular.

Maybe Mr. C was mistaken about it being Lizzie who regularly rode on his block.

I've thought about this very thing. As a parent, would I allow my daughter to ride that far at that age? I don't think so. I'm not sure if I'm overprotective, though. Would you allow it? It's a judgment call. But I think maybe Mr. C was mistaken. Do you have a gut feeling on this?

I also need to add that we have two RSO's and a drug dealer on our block, so I never let my son ride where I couldn't see him, so I may very well appear over-protective. One of the RSO's exposed himself to the kids at the bus stop and was known to rub himself up against the telephone pole in a sexual manner. :( sicko

I've thought about this very thing. As a parent, would I allow my daughter to ride that far at that age? I don't think so. I'm not sure if I'm overprotective, though. Would you allow it? It's a judgment call. But I think maybe Mr. C was mistaken. Do you have a gut feeling on this?

I certainly wouldn't let a child Lizzie's age ride that far alone, and Heather and Drew don't seem like the kind of parents who would allow that either. Heather said Lizzie never went that far from home.

Maybe Lizzie did it once or twice, kids will be kids, but on a regular basis? It doesn't seem likely to me.

IMO it's likely Mr. C was mistaken about frequently seeing Lizzie there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skelyatr