IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #27

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Manufacturing
Manufacturing is the largest sector of Iowa's economy, with $20.8 billion (21%) of Iowa's 2003 gross state product. Major manufacturing sectors include food processing, heavy machinery, and agricultural chemicals. Sixteen percent of Iowa's workforce is dedicated to manufacturing.[58] Food processing is the largest component of manufacturing. Its industrial outputs include food processing, machinery, electric equipment, chemical products, publishing, and primary metals. Companies with direct or indirect processing facilities in Iowa include ConAgra Foods, Wells Blue Bunny, Barilla, Heinz, Wonder Bread/Hostess Snack Cakes, Tone's Spices, General Mills, and Quaker Oats. Major non-food advanced manufacturing firms with production facilities in Iowa include 3M, ALCOA, Amana Corporation, Dexter Apache Holdings, Inc., Electrolux/Frigidaire, Emerson Process, Fisher Controls International, HON Industries, The HON Company, IPSCO Steel, John Deere, Lennox Manufacturing, Maytag Corporation, Pella Corporation, Rockwell Collins, Vermeer Company, and Winnebago Industries.

[edit]Agriculture

Harvesting corn in Jones County.

Ethanol plant under construction in Butler County.
Directly and indirectly, agriculture has always been a major component of Iowa's economy. However, the direct production and sale of raw agricultural products contributes only about 3.5% of Iowa's gross state product.[97] The indirect role of agriculture in Iowa's economy can be measured in multiple ways, but its total impact, including agriculture-affiliated business, has been measured at 16.4% in terms of value added and 24.3% in terms of total output. This is lower than the economic impact in Iowa of non-farm manufacturing, which accounts for 22.4% of total value added and 26.5% of total output.[98] Iowa's main agricultural outputs are hogs, corn, soybeans, oats, cattle, eggs, and dairy products. Iowa is the nation's largest producer of ethanol and corn and some years is the largest grower of soybeans as well. In 2008, the 92,600 farms in Iowa produced 19% of the nation's corn, 17% of the soybeans, 30% of the hogs, and 14% of the eggs.[99]

Mural in Mt. Ayr Post Office, "The Corn Parade" by Orr C. Fischer, commissioned as part of the New Deal.[100]
Major Iowa agricultural product processors include Archer Daniels Midland, Ajinomoto, Cargill, Inc., Diamond V Mills, Garst Seed Company, Heartland Pork Enterprises, Hy-Vee, Monsanto Company, Pioneer Hi-Bred International, and Quaker Oats.[101]

I'm not sure about specific industries, but there are a couple of major employers in the area - John Deere and Tyson Foods.

Here is some info about Evansdale - it lists manufacturing as a major industry (35%).

http://www.city-data.com/city/Evansdale-Iowa.html

Was sleuthing on the same page....scroll about 1/3 down the page. Nothing about farming???? Here's a little info from it:

• Manufacturing (35%)
  • Retail trade (12%)
  • Accommodation and food services (10%)
  • Transportation and warehousing (9%)
  • Administrative and support and waste management services (9%)
  • Wholesale trade (8%)
  • Construction (5%)
  • Metal workers and plastic workers (10%)
  • Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (7%)
  • Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (7%)
  • Material recording, scheduling, dispatching, and distributing workers (6%)
  • Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (6%)
  • Other production occupations including supervisors (5%)
  • Assemblers and fabricators (4%)

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Evansdale-Iowa.html#ixzz2INr1oIeT

I'm under the impression it is pigs #1 then corn.. good question..I will look again..I know I had this conversation with my grandson, when I was doing the scanner we took time to do a Iowa info search..

NO? Really? LOL:floorlaugh: j/k

Well yes really! I was surprised myself..this validates all hog conversation! :)

What was a guy from Ankney doing in Janesville? That's over a 100 miles. It was six counts so where did he gain access to victim..and how old was she? Most likely had some kind of internet communication and the girl was groomed and lured. Alot not being mentioned in the article.....that it took over a month to get out.

ETA: Drat. His lastest info wasn't given a citation #, so I can't find the details for a Fed Crime on 6/11/12. Probably the arrest warrant. No dispostion records found.

https://www.iowacourts.state.ia.us/ESAWebApp/TIndexFrm

So if this guy was wanted on 6/11 and was out of the country already, he couldn't have been around on 7/13.

ON 1/3/13, THE BCSO ARRESTED RYAN MICHAEL PORATH (34) OF ANKENY, IA ON AN OUTSTANDING ARREST WARRANT

http://www.co.bremer.ia.us/sheriff/press-releases.aspx

doing some searching it appears he may have lived in Janesville, IA at one time and/or family lives there. (right N of Waterloo)
A warrant was issued for him on 6/11/12, but no telling if he hung around the US for some time or fled the country right away? Not sure what date he crossed the border, that would be interesting to know.

Well yes really! I was surprised myself..this validates all hog conversation! :)

My childhood was spent in IL and my ggparents had a small farm. They had one pig named "Porcupine" that I use to pet all the time. Poor porkie turned into pork chops and fat back bacon tho. Pork farming is big there too.

doing some searching it appears he may have lived in Janesville, IA at one time and/or family lives there. (right N of Waterloo)
A warrant was issued for him on 6/11/12, but no telling if he hung around the US for some time or fled the country right away? Not sure what date he crossed the border, that would be interesting to know.

I read a link on one of the FB pages It was one of the TV stations it gave approx dates. December..rings a bell..

http://www.kwwl.com/story/20622839/...harges-in-bremer-county#.UPnaZGeGDJ0.facebook

Thanks for all the responses about major industry in the Evansdale area. When I first thought about this case, the fact that it happened on a Friday made me wonder if that day, Friday, could be more than a random choice. In my opinion, the fact that it was a Friday the 13th is secondary to the choice of Friday. If I were to read something into the choice of the 13th, perhaps the person that did this used that to terrorize the children prior to assaulting and murdering them.

It seems that this abduction and murder was very well thought out - planned. Many people have Friday's off - especially those that work a 10 hour work day, but they're the white collar crowd. Friday, in the summer, might also be a day that family is away for a few days.

There's been quite a bit of focus on sex offenders and other local criminals, but I'm also wondering if this could have been done by someone that is otherwise perceived as a great guy, well liked, someone with a promising future ... someone that has a very dark side that few people see.

I am going to look for it now bbL

Heck I am still looking I am on dial up I hope someone could remember where they saw it because I read it twice it really surprised me . The article did not mention LE accept the famlies would all meet to talk At the court house or State house the LE would be there .. . I'll find it it just slow I am still on dial up ; )

Warning - Graphic

I don't think these people in the video know that pigs can be very vicious when it comes to food and/or territory.

Are there wild hogs around the area where the girls were found? I remember someone mentioning coyotes possibly being around. Wouldn't any animal including vultures and small rodents be attracted to the bodies of the girls?

I know LE Abben seeming to be very upset at the thought of the parents viewing the girls' remains.

There are wild hogs making incursions into southern Iowa from Missouri, about 200 miles south of Waterloo. There have been occasional domesticated hog escapes from farms across Iowa but none reported in Bremer County. Most domesticated hogs that break loose take off for a few days and then circle back to where they came from, looking for familiar territory.

To sum up, no, wild or feral hogs are not a problem in the Cedar Valley area.

I'm curious ... maybe someone familiar with the Evansdale area knows the answer to this ... excluding agricultural industry jobs, is there any other industry in the area? For example, some places have agricultural and oil, others have tourism and filmmaking ... is there a second major industry in Evansdale?

Not in Evansdale, which is essentially a bedroom community for Waterloo.

Waterloo does have various manufacturing companies; John Deere is a big one but there are many other, less well known, companies as well. If you do a google on "iowa waterloo manufacturing" the top several hits give a good idea as to what is available.

I'm not local Otto, but I would think banking and investment would be high up there...because of the farming. $$$$$

That's more Des Moines than Waterloo. Des Moines has major insurance and other investment oriented companies.

Waterloo has banks, of course, but isn't considered a major financial centre.

:bump:

It makes me so sad having to bump for Lyric and Lizzie.

I pray that something happens in this case soon.

Heck I am still looking I am on dial up I hope someone could remember where they saw it because I read it twice it really surprised me . The article did not mention LE accept the famlies would all meet to talk At the court house or State house the LE would be there .. . I'll find it it just slow I am still on dial up ; )

I hope you're not still searching for a MSM link abt it being hunters that called the family, because I'm 99% sure you won't find one.

I did a search of the current thread and found where I had seen the statement that one time: it's on Page l

Who called the family was not under discussion at the time. And though this comment "they immediately called the family" confused me at first, I then realized that IMO the "they" referred to LE.

Not in Evansdale, which is essentially a bedroom community for Waterloo.

Waterloo does have various manufacturing companies; John Deere is a big one but there are many other, less well known, companies as well. If you do a google on "iowa waterloo manufacturing" the top several hits give a good idea as to what is available.

Bertch and Omega Cabinets are/ were considered major employers, especially before the housing bust. Now not so much. University of Northern Iowa is another major employer.

As far as Tyson, also another major employer, but with a high turnover, as is typical of meatpacking facilities. We've had many immigrants come to the area in the last 15 years or so. Bosnians in the mid 90s, then Mexicans and most recently Bermese. I forget how many different languages are spoken at Tyson. Not being judgmental, just a point of fact. They also employ many with a criminal history.

So sad...no arrest has been made. I pray there will be justice for the precious girls.

Looking at past cases, whenever the police suspected a person of murder but that person waswaiting trial on other charges, haven't the police typically waited for the outcome before arresting that person
on a murder charge? Is that proper procedure? This is about past cases, not talking about any present
Cases or anyone in particular. moo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members