IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #28

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If the bodies haven't been released, perhaps it is because LE doesn't want the COD to get leaked. If it is something super obvious like a gunshot to the skull -- they don't want a mortician selling that story to the press. That is pure speculation.

Agreed. It may prevent a chip on a plea bargain table.

I think Tony said all he could say about it which is basically "If you think we've let this go cold you're under the wrong assumption". I am THRILLED to hear they still have 5 people working the investigation (more than I assumed prior to this meeting) and that the investigation is still very active, pursuing leads daily.:great:

He even said "keeping the investigation quiet is the BEST way to handle this case". There has to be a reason for that...I don't know what it is, but the fact that they've at least made SOME comments about the investigation leads me to believe they are still pursuing every avenue they can to find and bring the killer/killers to justice.

The only thing that kind of made me give the stink eye is his lack of comment when asked "Is a killer still on the loose?" I'm almost 100% certain he KNEW the reference was to Dan being off the street so he chose wisely to just say no comment. Even if he would of replied, I think he would have said something along the lines of "Until an arrest is made FOR THE MURDER OF THE 2 GIRLS, everyone should remain diligent in taking proper precaution to protect yourself and your children"...or something along those lines.

Don't know, but it has happened before. In the Shannon Mohr case, her parents pushed heavily on LE to not let the case go cold. Shannon's ex thought he got away with her murder until her parents demanded her body be exhumed and tested for succinylcholine.

I think the difference here might be that there was no doubt that the girls were murdered, so all possible causes of death would have been investigated. That is, I doubt that exhuming the bodies at any time would provide new information ... but who knows.

Five full-time investigators still working on the girls' murder case is encouraging. At least he said murdered. Refusing to comment if a killer was still on the loose is frustrating and I still feel like we are :banghead:. I am trying to be hopeful though, and maybe with the recent arrests, a big shakedown is about to happen and we will get answers. :please:

It sounds like out of the 100,000 people living in Evansdale, only 8 people were concerned enough to attend the meeting. That gives me the impression that the town is not up in arms about the police handling of the investigation.

It seems clear to me that ... what we already knew ... the meeting was not about releasing information about any particular investigation, police are doing their jobs and their investigations are geared towards arrests and successful prosecutions - not just identifying perps or making arrests.

"When asked if a killer was still on the loose, Thompson refused to comment.

Thompson said Tuesday's meeting was not about the Evansdale cousins, rather it was to "encourage open dialogue" with his constituents with matters concerning Black Hawk County residents.

When one of the eight people in attendance asked about the girls' murder investigation Thompson said it's important for people to remember that there is work going on behind closed doors.

"What happened here in Evansdale was a horrible thing, and we continue to expend every resource available - our genuine best efforts everyday - at trying to continue to pursue justice, not just solve the case, not just fix the problem, but to pursue justice, and that's critically important to us," said Thompson.

http://www.kwwl.com/story/21141508/...-will-not-confirm-if-killers-are-on-the-loose

"What happened here in Evansdale was a horrible thing, and we continue to expend every resource available - our genuine best efforts everyday - at trying to continue to pursue justice, not just solve the case, not just fix the problem, but to pursue justice, and that's critically important to us," said Thompson.

Wow. I find that very reassuring. I think he is sincere and earnest, and I think it's great that he is making these sorts of public comments.

It seems clear to me that ... what we already knew ... the meeting was not about releasing information about any particular investigation, police are doing their jobs and their investigations are geared towards arrests and successful prosecutions - not just identifying perps or making arrests.

"When asked if a killer was still on the loose, Thompson refused to comment.

Thompson said Tuesday's meeting was not about the Evansdale cousins, rather it was to "encourage open dialogue" with his constituents with matters concerning Black Hawk County residents.

When one of the eight people in attendance asked about the girls' murder investigation Thompson said it's important for people to remember that there is work going on behind closed doors.

http://www.kwwl.com/story/21141508/...-will-not-confirm-if-killers-are-on-the-loose

I think Thompson said what he needed to say, which is that the case is not languishing.

I'm somewhat surprised there were so few in attendance.

I hope this information is helpful to our local posters who have been concerned over a lack of LE communication.

It sounds like out of the 100,000 people living in Evansdale, only 8 people were concerned enough to attend the meeting. That gives me the impression that the town is not up in arms about the police handling of the investigation.

I agree with you - the small turnout IMO is an indication that most citizens are content to let LE take their time and do what needs to be done.

I know I'm opening up a can of worms with this statement, but . . .

I feel that LE's consistent refusal to comment on whether a killer is on the loose means that there is no killer on the loose. If LE felt the community was truly in danger of further child abductions/murders, it would be negligent of them not to state that. JMO.

I feel LE has had a suspect(s) in their sights for a long time. Maybe he/she is already in jail, or perhaps he/she is under constant scrutiny by LE.

IMO, something is taking place behind the scenes that we aren't privy to that has convinced LE there is no risk to the public.

I feel that LE's consistent refusal to comment on whether a killer is on the loose means that there is no killer on the loose. If LE felt the community was truly in danger of further child abductions/murders, it would be negligent of them not to state that. JMO.

I feel LE has had a suspect(s) in their sights for a long time. Maybe he/she is already in jail, or perhaps he/she is under constant scrutiny by LE.

IMO, something is taking place behind the scenes that we aren't privy to that has convinced LE there is no risk to the public.

That's my gut feeling, too. I think the "no comment" reinforces that idea, that there is stuff happening and he just can't talk about it.

I agree 100%. LE has a responsibility to protect and serve. When asked a direct question like that in a public forum, if there were a killer on the loose, they would have to say so -- it is their job to protect the public by providing that info.

Only eight people showing up for a town hall meeting tells me the people of Evansdale don't really give a crap about what is happening in their community. It doesn't tell me they are satisfied with LE's investigation at all. Well, maybe they are "satisfied" but it doesn't tell me that LE is doing a good job/is getting closer to solving the case. I think it actually says that most of them don't feel there is a killer on the loose.

Just a few rambling thoughts:

This is from an article back in December, after the girls' bodies were found:

People do not need to be paranoid, but they should be vigilant, officials have said.

“We've got two girls who for sure were abducted and we have not caught anybody, so I would say there should be heightened awareness,” Abben said.

http://dmjuice.desmoinesregister.com/article/20121216/NEWS01/312160054/1002

The public was advised to be vigilant but not paranoid, which seems like common sense to me.

From the same article, here is a comment from Tammy:

“I, in my heart, feel like it’s no one that we know,” Brousseau said. “But anything is a possibility. Statistics show that in a majority of cases, it’s a close family member of somebody who knew the family.”

BBM

I think the word "of" should probably be "or". JMO. Anyway, I don't know about you guys, but sometimes I feel one way emotionally ("in my heart") and another way intellectually. I wonder if Tammy's mind tells her the same thing her heart tells her?

O/T Sorry if this has already been posted:

Cedar Rapids Police have issued an Operation Quickfind for Brendon Martin, 14, of Cedar Rapids.

Martin was last seen at 1500 B Ave. NE in Cedar Rapids at about 9:30 a.m. on Monday (Feb. 11).

http://marion.patch.com/articles/op...ng-teen-last-seen-in-northeast-cedar-rapids#c

I can't find any follow up to this, so I don't know if he is still missing.

ETA: I've started a thread for him. IA Brendon Martin, 14, of Cedar Rapids last seen 11 Feb 2013 at 9:30 a.m. - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

IMO, something is taking place behind the scenes that we aren't privy to that has convinced LE there is no risk to the public.[/quote]
#################################################

BBM - This has been my feeling for a long time, too. I so hope it's not simply wishful thinking...

O/T Sorry if this has already been posted:

Cedar Rapids Police have issued an Operation Quickfind for Brendon Martin, 14, of Cedar Rapids.

Martin was last seen at 1500 B Ave. NE in Cedar Rapids at about 9:30 a.m. on Monday (Feb. 11).

http://marion.patch.com/articles/op...ng-teen-last-seen-in-northeast-cedar-rapids#c

I can't find any follow up to this, so I don't know if he is still missing.

Oh! I hope he is found safe and alive. He's a cute kid with a very sweet smile.

I was thinking the same thing: How can they hold the bodies until COD is released?

I wouldn't think they could...HOWEVER, like JamieinLA said, if the cause is obvious (like a bullet to the head :() the family would then know immediately and LE may not want that info out there.

I just don't know how long they can/would hold on to the bodies. But from what I'm reading from Heather's post I personally read it as it infers Lyric was already cremated. I'm sure it's just how I am reading it.

I don't know why, but I just have this little twinge of an inkling that something is getting ready to shake down big in this case. I of course could be fleeting on high hopes...but at this point, hope is all I got.:please:

BBM - Don't feel rained on... I, for one, share that inkling!

I've questioned myself as to why I come here day after day when there is no real news. I finally decided it's because this is where I want/need to be when the Big Breaking News of an Arrest happens.

I remind myself that, most likely, there won't be any leaks/hints leading up to that moment.

BBM - Don't feel rained on... I, for one, share that inkling!

I've questioned myself as to why I come here day after day when there is no real news. I finally decided it's because this is where I want/need to be when the Big Breaking News of an Arrest happens.

I remind myself that, most likely, there won't be any leaks/hints leading up to that moment.

:great:

That's why I'm sticking around too. Even if there aren't any breaks in the case, I'm all for hanging out and :deadhorse: on old stuff until something happens.

Doesn't bother me at all to hash and rehash the same things.

Speaking of rehashing...I believe we're due for either the paddle boat or wild pig conversation to be tossed back into the mix.

:floorlaugh::floorlaugh::floorlaugh:

I think Thompson said what he needed to say, which is that the case is not languishing.

I'm somewhat surprised there were so few in attendance.

I hope this information is helpful to our local posters who have been concerned over a lack of LE communication.

I, too, was surprised by such a light turnout. It's my guess, however, that had the subject of the cousins been on the agenda, there would have been more people there.

The comments made by Thompson renew my hope.

I don't know how much discussion took place at the meeting on other subjects, but did you notice that KWWL's written coverage was about the cousins only!?! (btw, thank you for that link, DaisyNae!)

I'd much prefer pigs and paddleboats to the endless debates about stranger, acquaintance or family member.

I agree, we will not be getting any new leads or information til an arrest is made or charges file if the party is already jailed.

I have suspected for a long time that LE has a suspect and that person may have been already in jail for some time or is under pretty heavy surveillance. MOO

Meanwhile, I lurk, awaiting the big announcement someday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhokilledBettie?