IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #35

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Marilynilpa, the investigation status was changed from missing persons to abduction on Friday 07/20/2012; one week after their abduction. Either that same day or the next morning on 07/21/2012, investigators found “physical evidence” relating to EC & LC according to kcrg news. If correct, this leads me to believe that someone/the perp, was taunting them, imo. Whether it was a photo, ransom letter, or phone call, etc. Imo, something tangible was located or received for investigators to release this confident statement that EC & LC were still alive.

<sniped & BBM for focus>
EVANSDALE, Iowa - Investigators still wouldn’t say they had any new leads Saturday afternoon, but stressed that they were “confident” both Elizabeth Collins and Lyric Cook-Morrissey are still alive.
http://www.kcrg.com/news/local/FBI-...-Missing-Girls-Are-Still-Alive-163296976.html Story Created: Jul 21, 2012 at 2:49 PM CST
FBI spokeswoman Sandy Breault wouldn’t say what made them confident, even as statistics show that the longer someone goes missing, the less likely it is they will be found.

“We believe the girls are alive, and we are not discouraged by the passage of time,” Breault told reporters at the Evansdale Community Response Center Saturday.

Police will only say that “physical evidence” was found relating to the girls, but wouldn’t say if it was found by police, the dive teams or by the search dogs brought in to canvass the area near Meyers Lake, where the two went missing July 13/2012.

I agree that LE might have received a phone call, photo or ransom note that made them feel the girls were still alive. There had to be something, IMO, for them to seem so positive.

I agree that LE might have received a phone call, photo or ransom note that made them feel the girls were still alive. There had to be something, IMO, for them to seem so positive.

If I remember correctly, one of the parents had checked his/her voice mail and found a message from one of the girls, but it turned out to be an old one from before they vanished. We were wondering at the time if that could have been what made LE think the girls were alive.

If I remember correctly, one of the parents had checked his/her voice mail and found a message from one of the girls, but it turned out to be an old one from before they vanished. We were wondering at the time if that could have been what made LE think the girls were alive.

I remember us discussing that. Drew had a voicemail from Elizabeth, which was determined to be an old one he just hadn't listened to.

Even though it appears LE "dont have a clue", Im keenly aware that the following has occured in the past 18 months -

Several repeat felons have been incarcerated whereas previously they were able to run around Iowa unfettered;

The 100 house raid which is still largely overlooked

The involvement of the FBI and their expertise (continuing)

The fact we have clearly been informed the investigation is still active.

Life is not an episode of CSI. Alibis may exist which need to be broken.

If this is a Team Crime then multiply the work by x number of suspects all lying for each other.

I remember us discussing that. Drew had a voicemail from Elizabeth, which was determined to be an old one he just hadn't listened to.

Could it be possible that Drew actually did receive a new voice mail from Elizabeth ( or her captor) and LE decided it would be best to retract that information after all ?

Could it be possible that Drew actually did receive a new voice mail from Elizabeth ( or her captor) and LE decided it would be best to retract that information after all ?

That's a possibility. LE might have wanted to keep that info under wraps.

Wow... of course possible since we don't know all the facts.

ETA: and how upsetting and sad for him, if so.

The comment Breault made: "we are not discouraged by the passage of time" honestly ticks me off. That comment IMO means they had a solid reason to believe that whomever had the girls wouldn't harm them. Well guess what...THAT didn't turn out well. Did the perp feel that the FBI was taunting him and decided to prove them wrong? I have no idea...but that comment always rubbed me the wrong way. It's almost like saying "we aren't in any hurry with this investigation, the girls are fine and we're sure of it."

Why else wouldn't the FBI be discouraged by the passing of time? Time is of the essence in every damn child abduction unless they know WHERE they are and WHO they are with and have spoken to the girls themselves. :banghead:

Sorry...mini rant over ;)

The comment Breault made: "we are not discouraged by the passage of time" honestly ticks me off. That comment IMO means they had a solid reason to believe that whomever had the girls wouldn't harm them. Well guess what...THAT didn't turn out well. Did the perp feel that the FBI was taunting him and decided to prove them wrong? I have no idea...but that comment always rubbed me the wrong way. It's almost like saying "we aren't in any hurry with this investigation, the girls are fine and we're sure of it."

Why else wouldn't the FBI be discouraged by the passing of time? Time is of the essence in every damn child abduction unless they know WHERE they are and WHO they are with and have spoken to the girls themselves. :banghead:

Sorry...mini rant over ;)

Breault's comment has always bothered me, too. Of course I wouldn't have wanted her to say, "oh, gosh, we're giving up all hope because too much time has passed". But to say the passage of time didn't concern them seemed to go against all common knowledge about abducted children, i.e., how quickly they are killed after abduction. JMO.

Breault's comment has always bothered me, too. Of course I wouldn't have wanted her to say, "oh, gosh, we're giving up all hope because too much time has passed". But to say the passage of time didn't concern them seemed to go against all common knowledge about missing children, i.e., how quickly they are killed after abduction. JMO.

That comment more than anything else has contributed to my gut feeling that the person who committed this crime is someone far more evil and twisted than a plain old serial killer like Klunder...

I am not sure if LE saying they think the girls are still alive means they had evidence saying so. I think that as long as LE doesn't have forensic evidence to the contrary, they will always stay hopeful for the parents' sake.

I think a lot of LE might not feel comfortable saying that a missing child is probably dead, because most of them are killed within the first few hours, and very few are held alive for weeks, years, or longer, when the parents are still extremely hopeful that their child will come home. Although, of course there's a difference between saying you think the child is alive, and just not commenting at all about it.

That comment more than anything else has contributed to my gut feeling that the person who committed this crime is someone far more evil and twisted than a plain old serial killer like Klunder...

Let's not give that doof any more credit than he's worth...I guess if "serial killer" is a status. ;)
As far as we know he's only killed one person...he's been too damn impulsive and unorganized to get away with any of the others so I refuse to give him credit for being a serial killer. :blushing:

Let's not give that doof any more credit than he's worth...I guess if "serial killer" is a status. ;)
As far as we know he's only killed one person...he's been too damn impulsive and unorganized to get away with any of the others so I refuse to give him credit for being a serial killer. :blushing:

Okay, technically that's correct, although I think only the fact of getting caught kept him from killing yet again. How about "serial offender"?

I am not sure if LE saying they think the girls are still alive means they had evidence saying so. I think that as long as LE doesn't have forensic evidence to the contrary, they will always stay hopeful for the parents' sake.

I agree with staying positive for the parents, but for cryin' out loud there was NO sense of urgency, even from day 1. It took them a week to change the status to an abduction - which by the way, if they were doing serious investigative work and had any leads they were following outside of draining the lake they would have KNOWN the girls had been abducted - and never once showed any signs of a manhunt. I agree that they will follow where the evidence leads them, but if that's the case...it shouldn't have taken them a week to decide they'd been abducted...they would have already known.

A child abduction really shouldn't be the time or place for cat and mouse with the public. It's not a game.

There are lives at stake and if it's true that it takes a village to raise a child that same village should be utilized to help protect and assist in life threatening situations for those children if at all possible.

Good point about a "Suicide Letter" - I wonder if one was left by MJK?

I think a lot of LE might not feel comfortable saying that a missing child is probably dead, because most of them are killed within the first few hours, and very few are held alive for weeks, years, or longer, when the parents are still extremely hopeful that their child will come home. Although, of course there's a difference between saying you think the child is alive, and just not commenting at all about it.

True, and by itself it wouldn't mean much. But the whole pattern of the crime has a certain feel of some really evil person leading LE and the parents and family and everybody on an unbelievably cruel wild goose chase.

That's not evidence, I know, and I like to stick with evidence. But the case has felt off and twisted from the very beginning.

I never really thought about this before, but seeing Elizabeth's sisters on Facebook got me wondering. Many kids fear the bogeyman. How many kids have a legitimate fear? The bogeyman literally came and took their sister. I'm sure Heather and Drew do their best to reassure them, but if Elizabeth was taken from them and mom and dad couldn't stop that....???? On top of missing their sister, they have this fear to deal with. How heartbreaking. I'm sure there are many sleepless nights in the Collins household.

I never really thought about this before, but seeing Elizabeth's sisters on Facebook got me wondering. Many kids fear the bogeyman. How many kids have a legitimate fear? The bogeyman literally came and took their sister. I'm sure Heather and Drew do their best to reassure them, but if Elizabeth was taken from them and mom and dad couldn't stop that....???? On top of missing their sister, they have this fear to deal with. How heartbreaking. I'm sure there are many sleepless nights in the Collins household.

I agree Squeeze, I'm going to add Misty and Dan's son to that list too. How heavy can a heart be missing your parents and sister? As a teen? I worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Txwoman