IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #35

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
But it wouldn't have to be more than a couple of hours to have given him time to get to Evansdale and back. Especially if it was him and a partner.

I dunno. I never really thought it was him, but I'm not very comfortable with this outcome, either.

It wasn't Klunder.

Klunder was a mess. He got caught for every crime he ever committed. He was a loser in life and a loser in crime.

This is a LOCAL person with local knowledge.

I also believe this person/s is known to the girls.

Nothing else "fits". IMO.

Went to 7 Bridges today. Coincidence that it was Memorial Day - I just happened to be in the area. Did not get out and wall to the site. My daughter and her friend were already creeped out. There was someone else there with us, and as we were leaving, another car (gremlin) was coming down the dead end road. Don't think they were going there to pay their respects, but who knows.

Not sure how they would do this without spooking people away, but I really think LE should talk to people who hang out there. Clearly people go there to party. Anyway, my feeling is, too, that the person who did this is local to the Readlyn or Dunkerton area, but does also have knowledge of Evansdale.

I still think CF very well could be our guy.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

I'm surprised that they actually announced that they ruled out Klunder. I hope this means they are moving forward with the investigation and trying to find the killer.

Went to 7 Bridges today. Coincidence that it was Memorial Day - I just happened to be in the area. Did not get out and wall to the site. My daughter and her friend were already creeped out. There was someone else there with us, and as we were leaving, another car (gremlin) was coming down the dead end road. Don't think they were going there to pay their respects, but who knows.

Not sure how they would do this without spooking people away, but I really think LE should talk to people who hang out there. Clearly people go there to party. Anyway, my feeling is, too, that the person who did this is local to the Readlyn or Dunkerton area, but does also have knowledge of Evansdale.

Don't forget Denver either, my ex grew up there and him and all of his friends fished, hunted and partied out at 7 bridges. It has to be someone pretty local, I lived in Denver for several years and had never been there once- and I love to fish. Aren't there SO living just outside Denver?

Another thing to note...Smock is lead in this investigation. Waterloo is "assisting" which means IMO, that they are still focused on Evansdale being the link - aka Elizabeth's territory.

Is that because the crime actually occured in Evansdale? I'm not sure what determines who "leads" the investigation. It sounds like DCI, FBI, etc. are assisting, but since they crossed county lines I'm wondering if that is what allows more resources are expended or does it not matter?

Another thing to note...Smock is lead in this investigation. Waterloo is "assisting" which means IMO, that they are still focused on Evansdale being the link - aka Elizabeth's territory.

Is that because the crime actually occured in Evansdale? I'm not sure what determines who "leads" the investigation. It sounds like DCI, FBI, etc. are assisting, but since they crossed county lines I'm wondering if that is what allows more resources are expended or does it not matter?

I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. I emailed Tony Thompson once, and he flat out stated the Evansdale PD was in charge. You'd think since multiple jurisdictions are involved, the FBI pr DCI would be in charge.

I don't post much but I do read here every day. I desperately want the murderer of these precious girls found, arrested, tried, and put away ... off the streets. If I lived in this town, I would be terrified to let my kids play outside and I can't imagine how the parents who do have small kids there feel. I lie awake at night and turn the facts over and over in my head, trying to think like the killer but it's impossible for me. I can't even figure out the "why" for it, much less the "who" ... but i try. sigh
To add: I'm so glad that this case hasn't gone cold and they are still working on it daily. It's just so good to hear and see some kind of movement with it.

Don't forget Denver either, my ex grew up there and him and all of his friends fished, hunted and partied out at 7 bridges. It has to be someone pretty local, I lived in Denver for several years and had never been there once- and I love to fish. Aren't there SO living just outside Denver?

agree, nothing has every satisfactorily been able to remove CF from the top of my suspect list

I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. I emailed Tony Thompson once, and he flat out stated the Evansdale PD was in charge. You'd think since multiple jurisdictions are involved, the FBI pr DCI would be in charge.

The FBI almost never takes the lead in a case like this. They defer to local LE -- at least publicly. What's going on behind the scenes is another question entirely.

JMO
I think if a stranger killed these little girls they would have been found closer to home not 20 miles away.
Strangers want to put distance between them and the victims
They don't go to extremes to hide the bodies.

To me this was someone they knew.
JMO

don't be so sure of that and I speak from experience here. My friend was abducted, raped and murdered and the perp easily lived at least 18 miles or more away from where he hunted. He has since served his sentence, if you will.

http://www.ohio.com/news/dna-cracks-1981-murder-of-girl-1.167214

The FBI almost never takes the lead in a case like this. They defer to local LE -- at least publicly. What's going on behind the scenes is another question entirely.

I guess I can see where the FBI can't necessarily "lead" all abductions/murders due to varying circumstances, but my question always defaults to whether the investigators in charge of something like this are truly equipped and/or trained to properly investigate such a complex case.

I found this information really interesting regarding recent stats in Iowa (Dec 2013). I question the stats though...

http://www.humanrights.iowa.gov/cjjp/images/pdf/Child Kidnapping Report FY2014-Final.pdf

One interesting stat (to me) in the whole thing is that of the 17 kidnappings, only 5 used any weapon at all. I suppose that would account for familial abductions maybe? Where no weapon is needed to actually kidnap the child?

According to this,17 children in the last 10 years have been abducted in Iowa.
I question the stats though because it shows only 1 death. That's not right. I can think of 4 right off the top of my head (Kathlyn S., Evelyn M., Elizabeth C., Lyric M.).

My point is this - How on God's green earth are investigators in Iowa suppose to be experts on bringing these people to justice? HOW?

You can get hundreds of hours of "training" on these situations but unless you've investigated these types of crimes there is no way these tiny town sheriff's are remotely qualified to handle it. It's no fault of their own of course - it's no different than my boss coming up to me at my job and suddenly telling me "here, this is yours now" and it's something I had training on (likely months or years ago). Chances are, my first several times attempting I'm going to mess it up and learn the RIGHT way to do it.

But in a case like this, there are NO SECOND CHANCES.

I really hope the FBI is working right up Smock's butt on this...

re: weapon -- it's seldom necessary to use a weapon to kidnap a child. It's much easier to lure them with a ruse, such as finding a lost dog. Most kids are also taught to defer to adults, so they can be ordered around even when they should run.

I suppose technically it's not known whether E&L were kidnapped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unnamedTV