Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The purse is bothering me.
Little Elizabeth was known to take her purse with her as little girls do, but taking it just to hop on her bike for a quick ride before lunch, does not sit right.
If she was planning to go for a sneaky trip to the store, or if she was carrying something 'important" for Lyric, or planning a longer bike ride, maybe, otherwise??imo.
Something particularly symbolic and sad, about a little girl's pink purse, cast aside so callously, moo.

Remember there was a witness that reported a truck being parked on Arbutus Ave near where the bike trail crosses.
If the girls did go to the lake using the bike trail at some point, the perp could have followed them from the bike trail where it intersects with Arbutus to the dirt lane where the lift station is and on to the tree line where he grabbed/tricked the girls. Or, the girls could have come straight down Evans Rd which intersects with that end of Arbutus where he could have seen them. Either way there would be no need to transport the bikes.

Since we're throwing out questions - one thing I really don't understand and never have is how LE knew what direction they were riding. How do they know if it was to the lake, away from the lake, etc?

I just wanted to say a big thank you to all the posters who continue to post about this case and care the girl's killer is held accountable. It is hard to believe over two years have gone by already. It is even harder to think that the person(s) responsible are out there living their life when these innocent girls cannot. I hope one day soon to come here and see there is a breakthrough in the case.

Since we're throwing out questions - one thing I really don't understand and never have is how LE knew what direction they were riding. How do they know if it was to the lake, away from the lake, etc?
Well, they know it was westbound (?) on brovan, but yeah, technically you can still get to the lake either way. I don't think by them saying that it was "away" from the lake was particularly helpful. It really confuses the issue.

I have several varying theories....

1. perp kidnapped girls at the lake, they were lured by something away from their bikes & purse, willingly got into a vehicle and didn't realize the danger until it was too late, they were killed before they were reported missing and the killer was back in town in time to watch (or join) the searching

2. perp kidnapped girls w/in a block or so of EC's house, immobilized them, dropped their bikes at the lake, took the girls somewhere for privacy and kept them for a while, possibly kept them in fridge or freezer unit, then disposed of the bodies later at 7 bridges after the searching eased up

3. perp had a prearranged meeting with the girls at the lake, he/she was someone they knew and trusted

4. I'm pretty sure I have a fourth that I'll remember and add later. ;)

The longer this goes on w/o an arrest the more I think that the first few days cost this case an arrest. I'm sure the first thought was that they'd gone exploring and lost track of time, then that they'd drown and days later they decided they must have been abducted and started searching cars for reasons I don't understand, as it seems that it would have been much too late for that to be effective unless the perp confessed out of fear.

1. perp kidnapped girls at the lake, they were lured by something away from their bikes & purse, willingly got into a vehicle and didn't realize the danger until it was too late, they were killed before they were reported missing and the killer was back in town in time to watch (or join) the searching

2. perp kidnapped girls w/in a block or so of EC's house, immobilized them, dropped their bikes at the lake, took the girls somewhere for privacy and kept them for a while, possibly kept them in fridge or freezer unit, then disposed of the bodies later at 7 bridges after the searching eased up

3. perp had a prearranged meeting with the girls at the lake, he/she was someone they knew and trusted

The longer this goes on w/o an arrest the more I think that the first few days cost this case an arrest. I'm sure the first thought was that they'd gone exploring and lost track of time, then that they'd drown and days later they decided they must have been abducted and started searching cars for reasons I don't understand, as it seems that it would have been much too late for that to be effective unless the perp confessed out of fear.
Your theories are very similar to mine, with your theory #1 being my "favorite".

I really hope #1 is right, only because it sounds like it would've been quick. I liked it better when we had hope they'd be found alive. Since we know they weren't...I have pretty much the same theories, and same thoughts on an arrest. I can't believe it's been so long and no one's been arrested yet. Do they have no info? Not enough info?

My primary theory is very close to #1, except I think he went straight to either 7 Bridges or another private location, then dropped the bikes at the lake after he was done, possibly right under the noses of the searchers.

Was it ever said who found the bikes? I don't remember any more.

Does anyone remember how much time elapsed between the time they were last seen and when they were reported missing? I was just curious how much time the perp had to place the bikes by the lake if they weren't abducted there. Also, while we are advancing theories, does anyone believe some family members may have been involved? I read some earlier posts where at least one Sleuther was thinking that.

My primary theory is very close to #1, except I think he went straight to either 7 Bridges or another private location, then dropped the bikes at the lake after he was done, possibly right under the noses of the searchers.

Was it ever said who found the bikes? I don't remember any more.

A volunteer firefighter who was a volunteer searcher found the bikes. I don't know that his name was ever released.

A volunteer firefighter who was a volunteer searcher found the bikes. I don't know that his name was ever released.

Smart man, IMO. Seems like everyone who came forward to the press in this case was accused of being involved somehow.

I thought the bikes were found a few hours after the girls went missing? And if the story was right, TG had to swerve to miss the bikes pretty early on, when the bikes were laying across the path. I remember thinking that whoever did this probably didn't have time to go all the way to 7 Bridges and then back to the lake in time to stage the bikes. Not to say it couldn't have happened, it was just an early thought and part of why I thought it was unlikely the bikes were staged. I'm not really set on any theory though.

Smart man, IMO. Seems like everyone who came forward to the press in this case was accused of being involved somehow.

I thought the bikes were found a few hours after the girls went missing? And if the story was right, TG had to swerve to miss the bikes pretty early on, when the bikes were laying across the path. I remember thinking that whoever did this probably didn't have time to go all the way to 7 Bridges and then back to the lake in time to stage the bikes. Not to say it couldn't have happened, it was just an early thought and part of why I thought it was unlikely the bikes were staged. I'm not really set on any theory though.

Depends on which report you read as to what time the girls went missing. Here is just one report I had bookmarked:
http://iowacoldcases.org/case-summaries/lyric-cook-and-elizabeth-collins/

"The girls were seen at about 12:23 p.m. July 13 on Brovan Boulevard in Evansdale, and then spotted between 12:30 and 1 p.m. on Gilbert Drive not far from Meyers Lake.

Their bikes and Elizabeth’s purse were later found on a trail on the southeast corner of Meyers Lake about 4 p.m. the same day the girls went missing, but there was no clue as to their whereabouts.

The girls’ grandmother, Wylma Cook, told the press she last saw the girls riding their bikes near downtown Evansdale about 12:15 p.m. July 13."

I personally believe the bikes were at the lake the entire time.

Does anyone remember how much time elapsed between the time they were last seen and when they were reported missing? I was just curious how much time the perp had to place the bikes by the lake if they weren't abducted there. Also, while we are advancing theories, does anyone believe some family members may have been involved? I read some earlier posts where at least one Sleuther was thinking that.

Heather drove to the police station and reported them missing around 2-2:30ish if memory serves me right. But the girls were last seen approx 12:15 (by Grandma) and on Gilbert (by the lake) at around 12:30-1ish. So...they'd have possibly close to 3 hours from the last time seen before the bikes were located.

Not sure if links concerning this alleged child perp has been posted or not..

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/no-bail-for-5-state-crime-suspect-accused-of-child-rape/

"November 3, 2014, 12:33 PM
No bail for 5-state crime suspect accused of child rape"

http://www.bostonherald.com/news_op...country_rapist_held_without_bail_in_worcester
Lewis is accused of raping a 13-year-old girl this summer and then, after he was released on bail, ripping off his court-ordered GPS ankle bracelet and tossing it on his victim’s lawn Sept. 15 before going on the lam. Ten days later, Lewis allegedly returned to Southbridge and beat his stepfather with an expandable baton, handcuffed him in his basement and stole a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Cops said he also stole a 9 mm semi-automatic gun and 200 rounds of ammunition.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/no-bail-for-5-state-crime-suspect-accused-of-child-rape/

http://www.bostonherald.com/news_op...country_rapist_held_without_bail_in_worcester
Lewis is accused of raping a 13-year-old girl this summer and then, after he was released on bail, ripping off his court-ordered GPS ankle bracelet and tossing it on his victim’s lawn Sept. 15 before going on the lam. Ten days later, Lewis allegedly returned to Southbridge and beat his stepfather with an expandable baton, handcuffed him in his basement and stole a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Cops said he also stole a 9 mm semi-automatic gun and 200 rounds of ammunition.

Wow. What a monster. So glad he is finally off the streets.

What a peach. Ok, not to make light of this, but what's with the lawyer's eyebrows?

The purse is bothering me.
Little Elizabeth was known to take her purse with her as little girls do, but taking it just to hop on her bike for a quick ride before lunch, does not sit right.
If she was planning to go for a sneaky trip to the store, or if she was carrying something 'important" for Lyric, or planning a longer bike ride, maybe, otherwise??imo.
Something particularly symbolic and sad, about a little girl's pink purse, cast aside so callously, moo.
I dont know. Carrying a purse is just a "grown-up" thing to do. Riding around with the purse might have made her feel more mature. Sure, maybe they were hoping to see friends (pass them rapidly on their bikes) and she could have the purse and phone. Kids are kids. How many of us used to get off the bus and run, as fast as we could, to show kids how fast we could run. Or ride our bikes without "hands", etc..LOL.

We know the phone was in the purse, we don't know what else was in there, maybe she had money so they could buy something from the store?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member