Found Deceased IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #37

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok - just saw on FB a gal from Evansdale posted that her friend was walking the nature trail Saturday and had two men approach her and ripped her coat but she took off running. These two men were reportedly dressed like police officers. Also stating Evansdale doesn't have foot patrol so to please be careful. Her post is public and was shared via a friend of mine - how can I get her post here? If it's a public post am I able to post her name or something?
She also states (in the comments) she reported it to the cops, described as Late 20's Early 30's and someone else stated they called the Evansdale police and they stated they'd heard nothing of it and want to investigate right away...she states "b***s***...the cops were notified."

Is there any way to get a link to her post here or is that violating TOS? :gaah:

Just makes me wonder what the heck two people dressed as police officers are doing on the nature trail approaching people! This would be a PERFECT explanation as to why L&L would have willingly gone with these two guys! They were dressed as COPS!!!

11 hours ago - WATERLOO | Police increase park patrols, seek help following trail attack ... The man attempted to sexually assault the woman, but she was able to fight him off.
http://wcfcourier.com/news/local/wo...cle_5ae648a8-5b1a-5a6e-9d27-7bf3a8100dd0.html

WATERLOO | Authorities are investigating the second attack along an area recreation trail in the past four months....

In the latest incident, a Waterloo woman told police she was on the running trail near Cedar Bend Park Wednesday when a man pulled the hood on her sweatshirt over her eyes and pulled her off the trail, said Capt. David Mohlis with the Waterloo Police Department.

The man attempted to sexually assault the woman, but she was able to fight him off, kicking at him. She fled back to her home and called police, Mohlis said. The attack was reported at about 5:40 p.m., he said.

<snipped - see comments>

From what I am seeing, there was an incident in Evansdale, on the nature trail by Hoochies bar, Saturday night, 2 males; and one in Waterloo, yesterday, also on a nature/bike trail, but just one suspect.

Crazy
I hope they get police decoys out posing as joggers. Evansdale isn't that big. This could be it.

I wonder why there is zero media attention (other than social media) being paid to the Evansdale trail attack.

Wow this might be a break. This is seriously how I expect it may have happened. They were young enough that two police officers may be trustworthy authorities.

I can't remember if when they found Klunder if they ever told if he had a cell phone. I lean toward he had a cell phone. I hope they took the home computer because I'm sure he probably had one. This is what haunts me:

"Investigators say they are also looking into whether Klunder could be linked to the slayings of two cousins, ages 8 and 10, who vanished last summer while riding bikes in Evansdale. In the 1980s, he lived at a residential treatment center for emotionally troubled children in Bremer County, where the cousins' bodies were found in December."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/22/michael-klunder-kidnapper_n_3321859.html

Have they followed up on other troubled children who are now adults that were at the same center as possible POIs?

I wonder if Klunder followed the cousins' case? I'm assuming he didn't show up on the tapes of either girls' memorial service. It's so frustrating that no one has been arrested in connection with the girls' murders. :sigh:

Thank-you for this post, as I have missed that detail completely about the residential treatment centre for emotionally troubled children in Bremer County.

Does anyone know the name of this place, when and where it operated, etc.?

Thank-you for this post, as I have missed that detail completely about the residential treatment centre for emotionally troubled children in Bremer County.

That would be Bremwood.

That would be Bremwood.

Wondergirl, we sleuthed and researched Bremwood in prior threads about 07/2013. The families and the patients of Bremwood would picnic at the 7 Bridges Park during visits.

Bremwood Lutheran Children's Home, in Waverly, Iowa
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...yric-Cook-10-Evansdale-13-July-2012-32/page21

Were they ever able to determine a cause of death?

And Id LOVE to know what evidence they had that excluded Klunder as a suspect

Were they ever able to determine a cause of death?

And Id LOVE to know what evidence they had that excluded Klunder as a suspect

rbbm.
"But now officials said they don&#8217;t believe Klunder could have been in the Evansdale area at the time of the cousins&#8217; abduction.

http://wcfcourier.com/news/evansdal...cle_647e7e0c-6ea1-5f71-80e8-8b56a9700c47.html
&#8220;We believe he was over near his home on the 13th of July, either at home or at work or traveling in between,&#8221; Smock said.

Smock declined to give specifics about how they nailed down his location.

&#8220;We identified his whereabouts, looked at a lot of other information that could tell us where he was. We looked at videos in this area to see if he was close by, if we could identify him here, what was going on with his life at the time, what his work habits were, where he was supposed to be,&#8221; Smock said.

Klunder&#8217;s name never came up during the initial investigation of the cousins&#8217; disappearance, but after the Dayton incident, law enforcement saw him as a lead because his history included ties to Bremer County, where he served time in a youth home, and his penchant for kidnapping pairs of victims."

Noting this important, imo. info.

http://wcfcourier.com/news/evansdale...6a9700c47.htm
"Statistically, only 15 dual abductions have been documented since the FBI started compiling offender data in the 1970s.

&#8220;Since 1974, the number of times that an offender abducted two girls at the same time and took them for whatever his purposes were was 15,&#8221; Smock said. &#8220;So since 1974, in 40 years, there were only 15 times in the whole country where this happened. One of those individuals was Michael Klunder, because he took the two girls from Charles City 20-some years ago.&#8221;

And did it more than once he also once abducted 2 toddlers and left them in a dumpster according to his history.

What you are looking for is a creature of opportunity:

-Most likely unknown to the victims
-Lives with parents, or alone, however may live within an arrangement
-Most likely single , though could be married or living with someone
-Social "marginal" most likely described as "weird"
-History of behavioral disorders
-He most likely was in the area where the girls were abducted for a legitimate reason (Lives/works etc..)
-If employed most likely in unskilled labor position, high likelihood of being unemployed at time of abduction
-Did not set out intending to abduct children, but opportunity presented itself
-Motive was most likely sexual
-Experienced some kind of triggering event prior to the abduction (Financial, Legal, Sexual, Work, Psychological etc..)
-Victims usually transported greater then .5 Mi from the abduction site (much further in this case)
-Will most likely have a criminal history including attempted or even successful abductions
-Criminal history will usually include crimes of a sexual nature most likely against children
-Victims were most likely killed within 1 , but probably 3 hours of the abduction
-Victim acquired through use of Con or ruse, possibly force , murder will often reflect similar MO in other attempts (earlier or later)
-Dump site familiar to offender (Area of comfort may live near this site as well)
-Victims often killed where they are found or within 200 yards of where they are found , barring a 3rd crime scene .
-May have returned to recovery site
-Most common cause of death is strangulation , blunt force trauma , or stabbing

Post offensive behavior

Would have an unusual interest in the case, will often alter appearance, or "Shed" items on their person or in their possession at the time of the crime (Ex clothing, vehicle etc..). If they kept items they may alter their appearance (Paint etc..)

-May increase use of alcohol , drugs or even tobacco post offense
-May have returned to the body dump site usually before the body is discovered , and to a lesser extend after
-May have left the area
-Possibly confided in someone
-More than likely followed the case in the media

HIGH likelyhood to re-offend (as a note Child abduction murderers tend to have a higher pre-disposition to becoming Serial offenders than those who are killers of adults)

What could be in someone's psychological makeup, besides an inclination to murder, to cause a perp. to apparently have a preference for attacking victims two at a time?
Wonder what, if any, commonality there may be between those particular perps?
imo.

Like I mentioned before, I wonder that since Klunder was in prison prior, if he could have learned how to "cover his tracks" such as having some else use his cellphone, credit cards etc. to show that he was in a different location. I wonder is LE looked into that?

"Police believe Klunder was in or near his home in Stratford when the Evansdale girls disappeared, Smock said.

"We never close the door fully, but we're very comfortable saying we're no longer interested in looking at him," Smock said."

What could be in someone's psychological makeup, besides an inclination to murder, to cause a perp. to apparently have a preference for attacking victims two at a time?
Wonder what, if any, commonality there may be between those particular perps?
imo.

In this case it most likely wasn't preference for multiple victims , so much as availability, or just situation, if one girl was there he most likely would have abducted just one , however they were there together, its possible he tried to entice 1 but for some reason both wound up being victims , its possible that he knew one could identify him if he didnt abduct her too, or something as simple as not allowing her cousin to go somewhere alone

As for Klunder Im not sure why he did, same rules could apply, but only he knew why

Like I mentioned before, I wonder that since Klunder was in prison prior, if he could have learned how to "cover his tracks" such as having some else use his cellphone, credit cards etc. to show that he was in a different location. I wonder is LE looked into that?

"Police believe Klunder was in or near his home in Stratford when the Evansdale girls disappeared, Smock said.

"We never close the door fully, but we're very comfortable saying we're no longer interested in looking at him," Smock said."

The only reason I wouldnt pursue the Klunder angle is because LE seems SO convinced he wasnt involved... But to be honest if that guy popped up on my suspect list , hes under a microscope till theres no avenue left to pursue in that case .

AS for having someone help cover his crimes, I would say unlikely, that leaves a witness, and to be able to have another do it unknowingly would be a stretch .

Klunder was a excellent suspect, and a rare one at that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member