IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So glad they are out in the lake today. Hopefully this will find SOMETHING to assist.

God help those investigators if nothing is found. Personally it would make me question their competence if indeed nothing is in there. If I were the parents, I would be livid, and screaming from the mountain tops "I told you they weren't in there...look how much time this perp has had now?!!!" And I'd be shaking the shoulders of every officer saying "HELP ME - WHERE ELSE CAN WE LOOK?!!"

My heart does go out to them if indeed they had nothing to do with their disappearance.

Respectfully, I disagree. You have to rule out the elephant in the room, and that's the lake where the girls were found. I have no doubt they're running parallel investigations, but whether the girls and/or evidence is in the lake has to be ruled out.

@Pensfan

What an enlightening article on meth! This stood out to me "They would sell their children for money for the drugs."

This is a theory that I don't recall being discussed here on WS .... omg would this be a possibility here?

Remember the father is soon to go on trial for drug charges; one co-defendant had his pre-trial hearing on the SAME day the girls disappeared, the other this past Monday.

Name one better way to force somebody not to testify against you than kidnapping their child? This would explain the mom's sunny misdemeanor, as she knows who has her daughter.

Where does this clothing description come from? And why don't LE have it?

How would one find Sesame Street flip flops in a woman's size 9?

:waitasec:

MOO

I agree, Sesame Street in a size 9 is weird. Mom probably is confused on what the character really was IMO.

JT That is correct based on what police have said.
by Aaron Hepker - KCRG 11:49 AM
So they aren't looking for the bodies necessarily--but clues? Accurate statement?
by JT 11:49 AM
@Justme I do not know.
by Aaron Hepker - KCRG 11:49 AM
Did they ever check out Hanson Lake? The one below Meyers lake on the map.
by Justme 11:48 AM
Thank you Aaron and Chris for your coverage and pictures.
by grandmaof3 11:48 AM
@Aaron Thanks
by Kristina 11:48 AM
@Kristina to help assist authorities on the scene.
by Aaron Hepker - KCRG 11:47 AM
Iowa City and Cedar Rapids police are present? Why is that?
by Kristina 11:47 AM

http://wcfcourier.com/news/evansdale_search/

Great post....thanks button couldn't say it. :thumb:

Great post!!! I think you are absolutely right!!! My belief (after being on many of the Nature Trails here in the Waterloo/Cedar Falls area) I am pretty much convinced those girls were taken by a someone (may or may not have been someone they know) because it was an opportunity. They were in a portion of the trail that was "hidden". Meaning it couldn't be seen by people at the lake or hiway because of the trees and foliage. The girls were probably doing something they knew they shouldn't have been doing (playing at the waters' edge/have gone further then they were supposed to). When the person approached them they felt "caught doing something wrong and/or guilty" and then either went willingly or one was threatened and the other one went along so the one being threatened didn't get hurt. I feel the person then led them to a vehicle they had at parked at the grassy area at the end of the trail. I don't believe that this person necessarily was there to take a kid(s), but it became a perfect storm. No one could see, He/she was able to get the girls to comply, and as long as no one else came along on that trail they were scott free...just my theory.

Remember the father is soon to go on trial for drug charges; one co-defendant had his pre-trial hearing on the SAME day the girls disappeared, the other this past Monday.

Name one better way to force somebody not to testify against you than kidnapping their child? This would explain the mom's sunny misdemeanor, as she knows who has her daughter.

This is interesting. Is there a link as to what current charges DM is facing? I can't find info on this pending drug charge. TIA!

Okay, so the pre-trial hearing was on the same day which would have been a week ago. Assuming DM did not testify last Friday, why are the 2 girls still being held and why wouldn't Mom go fetch them if she knew where they were.

A better way to force somebody not to testify against you would be to kill the person who was going to testify imo not kidnap two innocents.

Respectfully, I disagree. You have to rule out the elephant in the room, and that's the lake where the girls were found. I have no doubt they're running parallel investigations, but whether the girls and/or evidence is in the lake has to be ruled out.

I totally agree with you on ruling out the lake. We don't disagree there :)

I guess what I was referring to was when Misty came out of the command center yesterday and said (paraphrasing) "they know nothing...they have nothing new". I would HOPE once this lake is drained either they find something, or have an update for the family as to what the heck they are going to do if nothing is found.

@Pensfan

What an enlightening article on meth! This stood out to me "They would sell their children for money for the drugs."

This is a theory that I don't recall being discussed here on WS .... omg would this be a possibility here?

I was discussing this with my husband the other night. Makes me sick to think about. But the reality is that people do buy kids......sick, sick people.

@Pensfan

I don't know but there have been cases here on WS where parents have done this for meth, one a four year old boy.

Has anyone found a picture of the shoes the girls were wearing? I have searched, but have been unable to find any flip flops that match the description of the ones Lyric is said to be wearing. Do we know which character? I have found similar ones for the little martian from Bugs Bunny and the Batman logo, but no Sesame Street ones.

I can not find the shoes online now but I know I bought the shoes she is describing for my nieces last summer. They came with a matching outfit and each of the flops had half of the characters face on them. When you sat them side by side it made the whole face. The outfits came in small, medium and large. My oldest niece was 11 then and has a bigger foot than me (I'm 35 and wear a 5) and the large fit her. I'm trying to get up with her mother to get a pic if she still has it but the flops were rather flimsy and cheap made so I'd be shocked if they lasted the whole summer season. I can't imagine riding bikes in those shoes either way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Pensfan

That was a comment by the retired police detective on JVM about meth users in general. They can become completely amoral when desperate for meth, high, or delusional. The family in this situation appears to be able to cook their own (criminal records), so it is logical to assume they would become not become this desperate. What they would stoop to when they are high is anyone's guess. :( This family does have supportive extended family and parole officers involved in their lives which helps every type of addict as long as the family is sober and non-enabling.

So glad they are out in the lake today. Hopefully this will find SOMETHING to assist.

God help those investigators if nothing is found. Personally it would make me question their competence if indeed nothing is in there. If I were the parents, I would be livid, and screaming from the mountain tops "I told you they weren't in there...look how much time this perp has had now?!!!" And I'd be shaking the shoulders of every officer saying "HELP ME - WHERE ELSE CAN WE LOOK?!!"

My heart does go out to them if indeed they had nothing to do with their disappearance.

Then wouldnt the police just ask you how you knew they were not in there?

I question it . If my kid was missing I would want it checked and rechecked and checked again.

Do you know how many times people check the same location for lost keys? I check everywhere 3 times for keys. I think after they drained the lake I might want them to scrap off the layer of mudd that was under the water.
If Misty does not know what happened how can she say they are not in the lake ?

Huge Huge redflag that may mean absolutely nothing.

Can someone please help me out with this?!
The dogs DID trace the girls scent to the lake, correct?
Then why are MC and DM, and some posters, doubting they were there?? Lyric's parents insisting they were not there?

Having a criminal record is one thing, having multiple charges for drugs, cooking meth, etc is very different. If I had that kind of record I would expect to be very closely looked at!! Their child could have come in contact with all kinds of nuts. Where would someone go to do meth? Maybe a secluded area?
I am trying to understand why people feel focusing on the lake is a waste of time. Why focusing on Misty and Dan is a waste of time.
I am sure they are investigating other things we don't know about but as far as the media goes, Misty and Dan have been very vocal, as well as that aunt. They have left themselves wide open to being discussed.

I can not find the shoes online now but I know I bought the shoes she is describing for my nieces last summer. They came with a matching outfit and each of the flops had half of the characters face on them. When you sat them side by side it made the whole face. The outfits came in small, medium and large. My oldest niece was 11 then and has a bigger foot than me (I'm 35 and wear a 5) and the large fit her. I'm trying to get up with her mother to get a pic if she still has it but the flops were rather flimsy and cheap made so I'd be shocked if they lasted the whole summer season. I can't imagine riding bikes in those shoes either way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's my understanding that the description of the flip flops have changed from the original Sesame St. Flip flops to Purple Flip Flops, Size 9 that were bejewled on the straps with diamonds.

Is there still an active search by volunteers? If not, how many days did the volunteers search?

Okay, so the pre-trial hearing was on the same day which would have been a week ago. Assuming DM did not testify last Friday, why are the 2 girls still being held and why wouldn't Mom go fetch them if she knew where they were. A better way to force somebody not to testify against you would be to kill the person who was going to testify imo not kidnap two innocents.

Unless an ex-partner in the meth lab business felt he’d been cheated out of major profits and a kidnapping is his twisted way of seeking revenge? Perhaps it was planned to be a warning — a short abduction and release of the girls — and things got out of hand?

It does seem as if Elizabeth’s parents might be casting suspicion on Daniel (Lyric’s father) with respect to the possibility that someone out there may have a vendetta against Daniel regarding his drug dealings.

Back in this thread we posted the abduction stastic's and it mentioned where abducted children where transported two and how they were transported etc..

Giving that most stranger and non stranger abductions both commited the crime in cars and transported the victims to a home or other building and the fact that if they have been abducted it is most likely a local ,what signs could the neighboring community be looking for to indicate a possible connection to the crime?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SammyC37