IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone please help me out with this?!
The dogs DID trace the girls scent to the lake, correct?
Then why are MC and DM, and some posters, doubting they were there?? Luric's parents insisting they were not there?

It is my understanding that the dog's picked up their scent but LE hasn't ever said where it led or if it went towards the lake. Nancy Grace's reporter had said the dogs picked up the scent and led away from the trail but honestly I haven't read any specifics on where the scent led the dogs.

That was a comment by the retired police detective on JVM about meth users in general. They can become completely amoral when desperate for meth, high, or delusional. The family in this situation appears to be able to cook their own (criminal records), so it is logical to assume they would become not become this desperate. What they would stoop to when they are high is anyone's guess. :( This family does have supportive extended family and parole officers involved in their lives which helps every type of addict as long as the family is sober and non-enabling.

And thank god for that family since Misty has not been able to stay sober.

I wonder if what Misty and Dan are saying is differing from what Heather, Drew, and the grandmother is saying.

I think it is to be expected that with their records, they would be more closely looked at. They have not been putting their child first. However I agree that a stranger abduction is possible and I think this IS being investigated. They did a neighborhood canvas, they are searching the trash, they did a neighborhood canvas. It's Misty, Dan and the aunt that keep talking sonthat's what we know most about. LE never even said anything publicly about their records. Now they are disappointed in their lack of cooperation, and so are Heather and Drew. Not that it matters but I find it disappointing too.

This case hits close to home because it is close to home.
I read one of the girls' families isn't fully cooperating...why?
Even if they have nothing to do with the girls' disappearance, this still makes a distraction away from who ever else was involved.
There have been too many cases of children riding their bikes, or doing anything else innocent and and vanishing! Like Amber Hagerman, Jeanna North, Jacob Wetterling , and many more to name! This is a bit odd though because both of these girls vanish at the same time...makes me wonder if it was more than one person or someone they knew?
My apologies if I have posted something someone already did!

Is there still an active search by volunteers? If not, how many days did the volunteers search?

I do not think at this time, I think Saturday and Sunday they had many, many volunteers.

Re the other two drug cases - what if kidnapping the girls was related, but instead of keeping DM from testifying against someone (where killing him would have been an easier solution), instead the aim was to get DM to testify that the individuals were not involved and instead to take all the blame upon himself?

I'm going to guess that with the disappearance going on, then any court appearances by DM have been put on hold - which might mean that an abductor is continuing to hold the girls because the matter has not yet been settled.

@Pensfan

What an enlightening article on meth! This stood out to me "They would sell their children for money for the drugs."

This is a theory that I don't recall being discussed here on WS .... omg would this be a possibility here?

I think it's unlikely either parent would sell the children for $$$ - consider that each parent is either going to court soon or recently involved with the law.

It is my understanding that the dog's picked up their scent but LE hasn't ever said where it led or if it went towards the lake. Nancy Grace's reporter had said the dogs picked up the scent and led away from the trail but honestly I haven't read any specifics on where the scent led the dogs.

But wasn't it stated their scent was picked up "lakeside"?

The reason I ask about the volunteer search would be to recover bodies they may have been dumped. Searches for missing children tend to go on for longer periods of time. Pieces of their clothing could have been torn on tree limbs sticking out if the girls were walked through wooded areas. I know they searched for many many days when Cherrie Mahan came up missing even though two suspicious cars were reported at her bus stop.

I think it's unlikely either parent would sell the children for $$$ - consider that each parent is either going to court soon or recently involved with the law.

I think the poster was trying to point out how crazy meth users can act.

Is there still an active search by volunteers? If not, how many days did the volunteers search?

No. The volunteer searches were called off after 3 days:

Authorities officially called off all mass volunteer search efforts Sunday evening, after more than 1,100 volunteers spent hours scouring the forests, parks, fields and waterways within Evansdale and neighboring communities over the weekend.

“It’s just going to be a continuous 24-7 operation with law enforcement,” Abben said Sunday evening.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/ar...ning-Evansdale-search-missing-girls-continues

The reason I ask about the volunteer search would be to recover bodies they may have been dumped. Searches for missing children tend to go on for longer periods of time. Pieces of their clothing could have been torn on tree limbs sticking out if the girls were walked through wooded areas. I know they searched for many many days when Cherrie Mahan came up missing even though two suspicious cars were reported at her bus stop.

Maybe someone here remembers, I thought the volunteers searched 12 square miles between Saturday and Sunday, LE dragged two lakes as well.

I can not find the shoes online now but I know I bought the shoes she is describing for my nieces last summer. They came with a matching outfit and each of the flops had half of the characters face on them. When you sat them side by side it made the whole face. The outfits came in small, medium and large. My oldest niece was 11 then and has a bigger foot than me (I'm 35 and wear a 5) and the large fit her. I'm trying to get up with her mother to get a pic if she still has it but the flops were rather flimsy and cheap made so I'd be shocked if they lasted the whole summer season. I can't imagine riding bikes in those shoes either way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember the interview where Misty started describing "sesame street characters" but IIRC, she backed up and then described them as purple with 3 diamonds across the top "like you would buy at Walmart"...I purchased a couple of pairs of flip-flops for my daughter and myself here at the Waterloo Walmart recently that were all rubber flip flops, came in several colors, and had 3 sparkly diamond-like jems across one strap that went over the top of the foot. Lyric wears a size 9 in womens...I highly doubt seasame street character flip flops come in womens' size 9...JMO

Someone posted awhile back that MCM and family should be questioning the police about time wasted if the girls arent in the lake. But maybe we should reverse that? What if the girls ARE in the lake?

Damn, can't imagine many females who have sister/relative who would be defending the ex or soon-to-be-ex, when 2 female children of one's sisters have gone missing (2 nieces). Dad (Dan) is very lucky.

I cannot relate...particularly with both histories here---but I'm open to an explanation.

I don't know any of the parties involved but speaking in general terms...

I know that when people go to co-parenting classes or receive counselling to improve their parenting skills, one thing they are taught is not to bad mouth or in any way try to make the other parent look bad to the children. It's upsetting and confusing to children if one or both parents are denigrating the other in front of the child because to a child, their parents are part of them. So doing so creates confusion and emotional conflict in the child.

Even in cases where the parents are separating or divorced due to domestic violence, it's important to be matter of fact about what the other parent has done but not in a judgmental way. For instance, letting the child know in age appropriate way that it is usually not okay to hit other people in every day life and sometimes that means having to be separate from that person but it doesn't mean the other person is evil, etc.

Also it could be a hard learned example of the Rule of Contrary in relationship advice. If a family opposes a particular person, the surest way to drive their family member into that person's arms is to bad mouth that person and force the family member to argue to defend that person. It's possible that Aunt TB has learned the hard way that if she says anything bad about Dan, Misty rushes to his defence and is more likely to try to keep the relationship going.

Lastly, if Aunt TB is absolutely convinced that Dan is not the perpetrator (I don't think it is either), she may well be terrified that LE will focus on him while the real perp is allowed to go free with the girls (who she is undoubtedly hoping are alive).

In her shoes, I'd be begging LE and everyone else not to fixate on my brother-in-law even if my private judgment of his character was that he was a total jerk.

It reminds me of an incident in Florida back in the late 60s or early 70s where a town government got all upset about a regular Wiccan gathering at various private homes. Who were the Wiccan's strongest supporters? The fundamentalist Christian groups in town who also met in private homes.

Even though several of the fundamentalists had a history of regarding the Wiccans as something akin to devil worshippers, they were able to understand that forbidding the Wiccans to meet in private homes could lead to a ban against their own group.

Common interests can make for strange bedfellows.

Then wouldnt the police just ask you how you knew they were not in there?

I question it . If my kid was missing I would want it checked and rechecked and checked again.

Do you know how many times people check the same location for lost keys? I check everywhere 3 times for keys. I think after they drained the lake I might want them to scrap off the layer of mudd that was under the water.
If Misty does not know what happened how can she say they are not in the lake ?

Huge Huge redflag that may mean absolutely nothing.

I am going off gut instinct only and given the dynamics of the lake. I truly think that if the parents thought for one second they were there they would have indicated as much (or at least ONE of the family members). Thinking along the lines of the family wondering why it has taken so long to get the divers there, pressing for a faster search of the lake, more in depth, etc.
They seem adamant that they aren't there and if they go off of the LE original statement of "just because the bikes and purse were found there does NOT mean the girls themselves were there" they could be clinging to that given the girls record of always coming home when they were suppose to. I don't know...

Again, I go back to my question a few posts back...could the dogs have been trailing a scent of the girls that could have been ON the abductor back into the woods or off the bikes, and not the girls themselves? Could the trail of the scent back into the woods be where the bikes were brought back INTO the trail to be dumped...from the back side, since it stopped there?

Maybe someone here remembers, I thought the volunteers searched 12 square miles between Saturday and Sunday, LE dragged two lakes as well.

yes...I also know they checked garages/sheds in town as well as out buildings on Sat & sun following the disappearance.

volunteers searched the weekend immediately following the disappearance and were willing to go back out Monday but were told they were not needed by authorities

volunteers searched the weekend immediately following the disappearance and were willing to go back out Monday but were told they were not needed by authorities

search stopped and 2 little girls missing seems so odd to me.:please:

@Kathi Yes, there is a parking lot where the media had been set up. That lot is now being used by the FBI, the media has had to move to a new location.
by Aaron Hepker - KCRG 12:47 PM
Are the media being kept further away from the lake now than earlier in the week? Thank you for the updates.
by Kathi 12:46 PM
oh ok thanks couldnt make out what they were doing any eta on there equpiment
by Clair Metcalf 12:46 PM
Clair Metcalf, they have divers in the water and are using sonar equipment. There are no dragging operations underway.
by Aaron Hepker - KCRG 12:45 PM
there is a pic on the paper web cite. what are the agents doing? looks like they are draging can someone claerify please thank

http://wcfcourier.com/news/evansdale_search/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member