IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
:) thanks
Can you please tell me what BBM stands for? I'm new here and do not know what some of these abbreviations mean. :)

"Bolded by me" as is bolding part of a post to address...

There is a list somewhere of these things, maybe someone will link it.

LE is trying to humanize the girls in case the perp is watching. Common technique. If they feel the perp may not want to harm the kids deep down, humanizing them by announcing the voicemail may be a great way to tug at the conscience of the captor. Imo

Didn't he mean sat the 14th? Maybe I misunderstood.

i think you are right...found the message on last Sat...sorry for the confusion...typing and trying to listen and watch. guess I am not the best multitasker :/

oh that's baloney that someone JUST NOW FOUND A VM. I don't buy that a second.

I've felt a little too picky to bring this up, but why was he watering between 12 and 3? Maybe Texas is different enough heat-wise that my experience is not theirs, but watering in the heat of the day isn't usually optimal.

It's common in Iowa.

We don't have droughts here like Texas has droughts. In 2008, we were having catastrophic flooding. Back in February and March 2012, we had too much darn rain.

So the aquifers are full, it's just the ground moisture that is in short supply.

My bet is that with the way things are going this year, we'll have too darn much rain in September and October, hindering the harvest of what little crop there is.

Some towns are instituting water restrictions not so much due to a lack of water but due to a lack of water plant capacity.

Didn't he mean sat the 14th? Maybe I misunderstood.

I am just going by what was written here, didn't see the interview. If he found it on that Saturday, it is somewhat more believable, but then it's just odd to me that he had an unheard voicemail from the very child he was searching for. Don't you find that odd? Don't get me wrong here, I really lay no blame on any of the family since I haven't seen any evidence against them at all. I can only say it seems out of the ordinary, but not in a sinister way, just in a, "ooopsie that was a ditzy overlook" way. KWIM?

This just sounds a little contrived to me. I mean, your child is missing and a week later you find a voice mail from her that she left on the day she went missing? Wouldn't you check your phone for all messages in case someone called and left a message about an emergency or something else. I mean a WEEK later... What if she had left a message saying Dad i'm at ____ and I need help....
I just think this was made up by either the FBI, the family themselves or the TV station to keep the story alive. No way do I believe he _just_ found this message.

:cool: Ditto.

I think maybe LE helped them cook up this story for strategic reasons.

"Bolded by me" as is bolding part of a post to address...

There is a list somewhere of these things, maybe someone will link it.

Thank you! I looked for a list earlier because I didn't want to ask. :) but couldnt find one

I am just going by what was written here, didn't see the interview. If he found it on that Saturday, it is somewhat more believable, but then it's just odd to me that he had an unheard voicemail from the very child he was searching for. Don't you find that odd? Don't get me wrong here, I really lay no blame on any of the family since I haven't seen any evidence against them at all. I can only say it seems out of the ordinary, but not in a sinister way, just in a, "ooopsie that was a ditzy overlook" way. KWIM?

Yes I find it odd too because I would be constantly checking my phone. However I do live in the same town as they do and there have been many times I have had vm show up days later. I even got a new phone because of it but it still occasionally happens. Happens to my husband too. Must be the carrier. Yet I still think le had the Collins play it to humanize the girls as pp suggested.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/21/us/iowa-missing-cousins/index.html?hpt=ju_c1
"Cooperation with law enforcement is the key factor in discovering the whereabouts of Lyric and Elizabeth. Unfortunately, in this case law enforcement has not received total cooperation from all family and close friends. It's important to note that the majority of the family has cooperated 100%," Breault said. "We believe there's someone out there and we would urge them to come forward."

I fear this isn't going to end well :(

“We kind of thought it might have been an abduction, so them officially making it one sucks,” said Lyric’s mother, Misty Cook-Morrissey. “It sucks because we would have wished five days ago that the entire state of Iowa was under surveillance, and they haven’t. I mean, someone in seven days could have gone a long way.”

Still, the girls’ aunt, Tammy Brousseau of Waterloo, said she understood the process that needed to be followed.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/ar...missing-Iowa-girls-alive?odyssey=mod|mostview

I think that maybe Lyric is more like a little sister or a friend in Misty's eyes. Someone she misses now and loves to an extent, but not the way a mother loves her child.

My understanding of addiction is that the addict loves the drug more than another person. But that still doesn't make her a child killer.

I've heard that and I used to think it was true.

Then my husband, a tobacco addict for a long time, said it wasn't true. He started smoking at 15 when his father told him that cigarettes would make him lose weight (since my husband topped out at 5 foot, even five extra pounds looks like a lot on him).

Yeah, we're so old that we both grew up in the time when it didn't raise an eyebrow for a parent to start their own child smoking.

My husband quit smoking about 5 years ago, so that makes, um, er (don't have enough fingers and toes for this, darn) close to 50 years of smoking. Including 12 years of marriage to me.

He said it was always clear to him that he loved me far more than he loved cigarettes. He was afraid of trying to quit because he'd tried before and turned into an ogre each time.

When Chantrix came out, he knew that was his chance and he took it.

He said that I didn't understand that addiction is like having something constantly pushing at you, constantly pushing you to light up again (in his case).

It had nothing to do with enjoying smoking because he'd stopped enjoying it many years ago. It was about avoiding the feelings that happened when he tried to quit.

The plural of anecdote is not "data," I understand this. But it makes more sense to me than saying the addict loves the substance more than they love another human.

Maybe I'm a sucker or too optimistic. I dunno. But I think my husband is right about himself and I hope he's right about most other addicts.

I've heard that and I used to think it was true.

Then my husband, a tobacco addict for a long time, said it wasn't true. He started smoking at 15 when his father told him that cigarettes would make him lose weight (since my husband topped out at 5 foot, even five extra pounds looks like a lot on him).

Yeah, we're so old that we both grew up in the time when it didn't raise an eyebrow for a parent to start their own child smoking.

My husband quit smoking about 5 years ago, so that makes, um, er (don't have enough fingers and toes for this, darn) close to 50 years of smoking. Including 12 years of marriage to me.

He said it was always clear to him that he loved me far more than he loved cigarettes. He was afraid of trying to quit because he'd tried before and turned into an ogre each time.

When Chantrix came out, he knew that was his chance and he took it.

He said that I didn't understand that addiction is like having something constantly pushing at you, constantly pushing you to light up again (in his case).

It had nothing to do with enjoying smoking because he'd stopped enjoying it many years ago. It was about avoiding the feelings that happened when he tried to quit.

The plural of anecdote is not "data," I understand this. But it makes more sense to me than saying the addict loves the substance more than they love another human.

Maybe I'm a sucker or too optimistic. I dunno. But I think my husband is right about himself and I hope he's right about most other addicts.

I guess it depends on the addict. My ex-husband tried Chantix more than once and still hasn't quit smoking. However, I don't think he loves smoking more than he loves other people.

I really don't know much about addiction (fortunately), but I think I read that saying about addicts loving drugs more than they love other people somewhere.

I also think some drugs are more mind-altering than others. Comparing cigarettes with meth doesn't seem to be an equal comparison in all regards.

I missed about two or so hours of posts..can someone direct me to the article about the boyfriend (that we had just heard about BTW) getting arrested? TIA

How unique is an individuals scent signature ? IF (big if, I know) a closely related family member/s had been at that locale prior to the girls disappearance, and IF (again, a big one, but humour me) their scent signatures were very similar, could the dogs have hit on someone other than the girls, ie. a sibling or close relative with whom they had frequent, daily, even physical contact ?

Trained tracking dogs can distinguish between identical twins, apparently as easily as they distinguish between unrelated people (judging from their behaviour).

Genetics is only a part of what creates a person's unique scent. Environment in the form of what the person has eaten, the person's fitness level (research shows that people in excellent physical condition secret less protein in their sweat), their personal culture of skin bacteria and mold, etc, go into making each person's scent unique.

I suppose there's a chance that if identical twins did everything identically and always together their entire lives, a dog might not be able to distinguish them. But I don't see that as a realistic experiment.

The reason they had the family do a lineup together for the dogs is so that if the scent articles (or anything else) had a family member's scent on it, the dogs would ignore it.

his name has not been released in the media and he has not been named a person of interest in this case... So No, we will not be sleuthing him until anything changes on that matter

:bump:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member