IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Smoking is taking over this thread. :crazy:

I'll get it back on track.

Hopefully today is the day FBI and LE find these girls safely and bring them home. And, hopefully this tragedy will help Lyric's parents get back on track with life.

The Weekend Today Show is covering Elizabeth and Lyric. Although nothing new, but at least they are still getting media coverage.

I find it amazing the FBI is saying they think the girls are alive but that they are not getting full cooperation from family and close friends.
Seems one would cancel out the other.
Prayin they are right!!

Smoking is taking over this thread. :crazy:

I'll bite:twocents:

I quit,when pregnant with my son. But,even after I quit....before it was banned on airlines,I always sat in the smoking section....with the people who knew how to have a good time! if,I find out,I have a short time left before I meet my maker...i am going out & buying a carton of cigarettes and smoke every one of them.

On Topic
I worry so much about Elizabeth and Lyric ...I have a sinking feeling that like Adre'Anna Jackson they are vunerable. Adre'Anna truly broke my heart.

I appreciate each and every post keeping us up to date.

BBM

Almost $70 a carton???!!!!!!!!

When my husband quit, it was in part because getting cigarettes from the Mesquaki Settlement was getting too expensive at $11/carton.

I am so sorry cigarettes got you. I saw how my husband really wrestled with it (and still does to some extent). I almost feel guilty because I started smoking when I was 16 and quit cold turkey when I was 24 with no trouble at all. I just didn't want to smoke any more.

Of course, that wasn't my main addiction (food) and I have never gotten that addiction under control.

Even though people say cigarettes don't affect their decision making, in a sense, I think they do. My husband chose to have both of us go hungry at times so that he could smoke, even though I know he loves me and would give his life for me.

Other people let their craving for cigarettes lead them to take risks they would not ordinarily take (as you said above you were tempted to do last night).

And the mood swings, increased stress, inability to focus, etc, that happen to many smokers when cigarettes are withheld for too long are potentially able to influence decision making ability.

I think it's only to be expected that DC and MC apparently have problems staying sober. And, sadly, it would not surprise me if one or both of them relapses in the stress of what is going on.

If my husband felt a push all the time to smoke the next cigarette (many times while he was still smoking a cigarette!), then what they are feeling must by like having an elephant shoving against their backs.

You could be right about decision making. I forgot to insert the coffee pot into the maker this morning and had coffee everywhere....even under the stove....before making my trip. :floorlaugh: Back on track now.

They are alive...and we need to find them!

I find it amazing the FBI is saying they think the girls are alive but that they are not getting full cooperation from family and close friends.
Seems one would cancel out the other.
Prayin they are right!!

If LE suspects that the girls were abducted by someone who knew DC or MC, then their refusal to cooperate (which may now be over, apparently; see link upthread) could make it more difficult to figure out just who the suspect is.

Does that prevent, say, a baby sitter from picking the kids up at school? It seems to me like that would be a fairly common arrangement and if allowed, an easy way to have an informal caregiver do school pick ups.

It would be easy enough for a noncustodial parent to keep enrolling the child in school if there were some way for a designated person other than the legal guardian to pick up the child from school.

In Iowa, it's apparently not a big deal because I really do know a lot of people who have taken in their grandchildren or nieces/nephews or whatever without any court decree being involved.

What we do is on yearly erollment information papers, the parent/guardian can list any people that have their permission to pick up their child. When someone other than the parent does come to pick up a child, the person has to show a valid picture ID which is checked against the child's information on the computer system. If there is sill a question, the office personnel contacts the parent by phone. If the parent cannot be reached, the child stays at school.

What we do is on yearly erollment information papers, the parent/guardian can list any people that have their permission to pick up their child. When someone other than the parent does come to pick up a child, the person has to show a valid picture ID which is checked against the child's information on the computer system. If there is sill a question, the office personnel contacts the parent by phone. If the parent cannot be reached, the child stays at school.

We have that system in place in my school district as well, but it can only really be enforced for checking a student out of school. After the kids are dismissed at the end of the day, if student is a "car rider", they go out to the car rider ramp where the looong string of cars are waiting at parent pickup. When their car pulls up, they get in it and go. There are teachers outside that work the ramp but only to keep it flowing smoothly and of course watch out for obvious abductions (like a screaming kid being snatched into a car). What the teachers do not do is look inside every car and make sure the driver is on the parent pickup list. It would take hours for the kids to get picked up every day.
This is just how it works at MY school. I'm not saying that that is the way it is at their school.

First, I wanted to thank Ollipop for the great pictures. Wow, that area is even scarier than I imagined, with respect to the secluded area on the trail. Knowing what may have happened there amplified the creepy feeling for me, I am sure.

Second, I think it is wonderful that you called those items that you found into the tip line. Sometimes, things really do get overlooked. It never hurts to err on the side of caution. Especially when two little girls are missing.

So, great job!

My impression is that the presser was throwing out red herrings (re: the family cooperation). I still think they were nabbed or lured by, obviously, someone who was on that bike trail after 12:15 and before 4:00...

I mentioned the man on the bike previously...but, response was that he is a known good community member, etc., as if there is no reason to look into him. Often that is the description of people living double lives, and there are numerous examples of this historically. This person frequents the area. This person does not appear athletic. This person lives in Waterloo. My belief is that this person needs to be thoroughly ruled out, but I'm not sure how. I really want to know that I'm barking up the wrong tree.

I would be looking in Waterloo. Lyric was in Waterloo when she was late...All of this is just my personal opinion.

If LE suspects that the girls were abducted by someone who knew DC or MC, then their refusal to cooperate (which may now be over, apparently; see link upthread) could make it more difficult to figure out just who the suspect is.

I really hope they didn't met someone and continued to meet this person or persons each day at the trail and they gained their trust to take them somewhere. Being an unknown person. If anything i hope police are right they have person of interest and figure out where the girls are very soon.

I think you are correct about the red herrings. Those pressers are very well-scripted. They have to be. There are deliberate snippets of information given as well as deliberate omissions. Certain info is not released to the general public or even the family because they withhold certain details to slip up the perp later. When questioning a POI, the POI may reveal a bit of info that had not been released to the public during the investigation. "things only the perp would know" and then LE knows to focus on the POI, and then classify them as a suspect.

My impression is that the presser was throwing out red herrings (re: the family cooperation). I still think they were nabbed or lured by, obviously, someone who was on that bike trail after 12:15 and before 4:00...

I mentioned the man on the bike previously...but, response was that he is a known good community member, etc., as if there is no reason to look into him. Often that is the description of people living double lives, and there are numerous examples of this historically. This person frequents the area. This person does not appear athletic. This person lives in Waterloo. My belief is that this person needs to be thoroughly ruled out, but I'm not sure how. I really want to know that I'm barking up the wrong tree.

I would be looking in Waterloo. Lyric was in Waterloo when she was late...All of this is just my personal opinion.

I agree and i even believe that the neighborhood couple need to be looked at. However this is why no one with possible information may not want to come forward. Too scared police will investigate them. But nothing wrong with using a tip line.

Reasonable guess on Pic 5 would be a maintenance shed....lawnmowers, brush clearing equipment, what have you....

Good observation Tucarra. Obviously the town is maintaining the grassy areas around the lake and in that back corner. How are they doing that? Is it possible they are renting that building from the property owner to store equipment? Do they really show up at the park side with lawn mowing equipment on trailers and cut all the way around the lake from there? Do they do maintenance from the back portion as well?

That building just doesn't sit right with me. Anyone could hang around behind the building and watch the traffic on the trail without being seen by the residents. Who is maintaining all that grassy area even around that building and how?

There have to be a lot of people, even Parks Dept employees, who are well aware of that area. Did they hire anyone recently?

MOO

Could definitely be some dna on the energy drinks and beer. Who uses energy drinks and/or beer? Worth a swipe I'd think.

The way we sleuth. Police should pay for a plane to get all members here to where a missing child was last and we will get the job done. Pop cans over missed etc. :saythat:

But on a serious note the police are doing a great job so far. Just want to know these girls are safe.

Could definitely be some dna on the energy drinks and beer. Who uses energy drinks and/or beer? Worth a swipe I'd think.

If LE is right and the perp is someone the family knows...Wonder who knew the girls liked energy drinks or liked the drinks themselves? That is if they are truley a missed part of the crime scene. JMO

Looks like my post got posted twice...sorry...don't know how that happened :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dinkeydave