IA - Jetseta Gage, 10, abducted & murdered, Cedar Rapids, 24 March 2005

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I will first post the link..... then copy and paste the story here with the information highlighted.... I think it is better to read it from start to finish, so you can see that roger and james Bentley are 2 different people yet BROTHERS and BOTH of them were molesting Jetseta.... at least james was doing it for over 2 1/2 years and Roger just recently did it right before he killed her , not sure about any other time.... read carefully.... for that person who said I did not know what I was talking about that James never molested her, and I was talking about the wrong child .... here is the link, again followed by story....

http://gazetteonline.com/2005/03/25/Home/amber.htm

Girl abducted from C.R. home; family fears worst

Body found near Kalona; male suspect in custody

Published:03/25/2005 08:55 AM
Updated:03/25/2005 11:32 PM

By: Christoph Trappe - The Gazette

Trena_Gage.jpg.jpg

Trena Gage, mother of missing girl Jetseta Gage, 10, talks with a Gazette reporter about her daughter Friday. Jetseta Gage, 10, was taken from her home Thursday night. Trena Gage is staying with family in Marion.

CEDAR RAPIDS, IA - The search for a 10-year-old girl abducted from her Cedar Rapids home ended Friday with the discovery of a body in a dilapidated mobile home in rural Johnson County.

A registered sex offender, Roger Bentley, 37,
of Brandon, was being held in the Linn County
Jail last night on a charge of child stealing.
Bail was set at $32,500. A duty officer at the jail
said a ``hold'' had been placed on Bentley for
Johnson County, but she did not know for
which charges. She said he had been taken to
the jail about 9:30 last night.

Police had been looking for Jetseta Gage since 8:47 p.m. Thursday when she disappeared from the family home at 448 Jacolyn Dr. NW. An Amber Alert -- the notice of a missing child … was issued statewide at 11:47 p.m.

Cedar Rapids police canceled the alert at 2 p.m. Friday, saying a body had been found in rural Johnson County.

"A positive identification of the body has not been made and may not be made for some time," Lt. Steve O'Konek said. "We would like to thank all those involved in the use of the Amber Alert system, which directly led information from the public to the location of the body and the suspect."

A person who saw the alert spotted Bentley or his pickup at a mobile home at 4703 Orval Yoder Turnpike, rural Kalona, and contacted authorities, according to the Cedar Rapids Police Department.

Deputies from the Johnson County Sheriff's Office arrived at the home about 7 a.m. Friday. They found the pickup, as well as a body inside the mobile home, and took Bentley into custody.

The mobile home appears abandoned and does not appear to be connected to electrical lines. The property, owned by Ann Enck of Waldo, Fla., is strewn with debris and several vehicles; Enck has an unlisted number and could not be reached.

Crime tape is strung around the property.

Bentley's pickup -- a black and silver 1982 Datsun King Cab with a silver topper and Iowa license plates 392MIZ -- was parked on mud more than 100 feet from the road. Police said the pickup is owned by Bentley's father.

Bentley is on the Iowa Sex Offenders Registry because of a 1994 conviction in Benton County for lascivious acts with a child. The victim was a 7-year-old girl, records indicate.

Jetseta's mother, Trena Gage, 29, said she didn't know Bentley was on the registry.

She said Bentley was at her home on Thursday working on the transmission of her white van -- help that she appreciated because she's a full-time student and a single parent.

Trena Gage went to class Thursday evening and, when it started raining, Bentley came inside the house for a while, according to Teresa Gage, 54, Trena's mother and Jetseta's grandmother.

"I told them (the children) that they had 30 minutes to play" before bedtime, Teresa Gage said. "(Bentley) left (at around 8:15 p.m.) and when he left, I locked the door and went downstairs to check on Jetseta. I couldn't find her."

Jetseta's younger brother, Ian, 7, told his grandmother he'd seen his sister leave with Bentley.

Teresa Gage called her daughter, who was at Hamilton College in Cedar Rapids, where she is pursuing a degree in accounting. Trena Gage rushed home, knocking on neighbors' doors, trying to find Jetseta. She called police at 8:47 p.m.

A short time later, somebody spotted Bentley's pickup and Jetseta at the Casey's Convenience Store at 130 41st Ave. Dr. SW, which is near Highway 30 and Interstate 380.

Police were unable to locate them at that time, Gage said.

"I'm distraught, and I'm just praying," Trena Gage told The Gazette on Friday morning.

The women said Jetseta was going to a special school in Cedar Rapids where she was receiving help with behavioral and mental problems.

At a 5:15 p.m. news conference Friday, Johnson County Sheriff Lonny Pulkrabek announced the discovery of a body -- "possibly" that of a young female -- in an area just northwest of Frytown, but said it had not been positively identified, pending an autopsy.

The Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation remained at the scene last night collecting evidence.

"This is an extremely difficult day for me in my new office," said Pulkrabek, who took over as sheriff in January. "I think that this is a difficult day for all of us in law
enforcement."

On Friday, the Gage family waited at a cousin's home in Marion for word of Jetseta Marrie, also called "Jet."

"I was trying to think of a boy's name," her mother said. When the baby turned out to be a girl, she adapted it. "I just liked it."

Police called at 11 a.m., telling the family they had Bentley in custody but hadn't found Jetseta.

"I just want her here, and I want her home with me so I can hold her," Trena Gage said, tears rolling down her cheeks.

"I miss her, and I love her," grandmother Teresa Gage said. "You love your kid, but grandchildren are just a little more special."

The family said they had been unable to locate Jetseta's father, Chris Kolvar.

Police told the Gage family not to return to their northwest Cedar Rapids home, where an officer was guarding the house. Police removed three bags of evidence from inside the white, split-level home. The Gages moved into the home in December from low-income housing elsewhere in the city.

Trena Gage said she met Roger Bentley about five years ago through his brother, James Bentley.

James Bentley, 33, is in the Linn County Jail on a second-degree sexual abuse charge. Trena Gage said he's awaiting trial for sexually abusing Jetseta. That trial is set for May 31.

Trena Gage met James Bentley while talking on CB radios. They eventually met and dated for about a year, she said. She later met his brother, Roger, whom she described as a friend.

Gage, who still talks to other people on CB radios, said people from all over the state were on their radios late Thursday and early Friday, talking to truckers driving across the state, asking for their help in locating the girl and Bentley's truck.

Neighbors in the Gages' neighborhood voiced concern Friday morning about what happened so close to their homes.

"It scares me. I have kids on my own," said Kim Pope, 29, a neighbor. "It's really worrying me."

Wow, two sexual predators within the same family, whats that all about?:hand:

Were they both abused as children? Inquiring minds would like to know?

:twocents: DS

Thank You Jovin for the welcome !! Happy Easter to Everyone !
Yeah, I think everyone would like to know why there are 2 offenders in one family ? Probably were abused ! and/or drug users ?
In the city neighboring mine there are 2 adult men , late 40's... who are brothers both convicted of sexual offenses (multiple kids) against kids less than 7 years of age, they have been in and out of prison for these offenses, and they always tag team their victims, one female child... raped by the 2 brothers ... SICK and the very worse part is , no matter how many kids they rape, they never spend more than 2 years in jail at a time. What about the ones they have not been caught for ? They live across the street from the elementary too, because while it is the law, that no sexual offender can live next to an elementary/day care... these 2 brothers lived together in that same house before they first got convicted and since the law did not go into effect until years after that , they are said to be "grandfathered in" that the law does not affect them, as long as they KEEP going back to that same house, once they move elsewhere they law would affect them for their new address only... that sucks and the law needs to be re written to include ANY sexual offender... I think it should even be against the law for them to live ANYWHERE near residences with any kids... personally I think LIFE would be great on their first offense !!!
The man that sexually abused me (my dads best friend) did the same to many other girls/women before anyone would believe that HE ( a long standing perfect record police officer) could ever be doing this to anyone, as it turns out , after many accusations , there was finally a case against him with enough merit to get him sentenced to jail... but guess what ? because he was a LEO (Law enforcement Officer) (cop)... THE OTHER COPS protected him, they did not press charges on him if he promised
to drop himself from the police force, so, he voluntarily resigned , and is now working for the prison, as a prison guard... so he suffered NOTHING, not even listed as an offender, no bad marks on his record at all, no time served, no counseling, not a thing ! He had been accused publicly of more than 8 girls that I know of, after ME, and 3 woman(that I know of), who he raped after threatening to arrest if they did not cooperate... who knows about the ones that never reported him, or that he might have killed (not sure if any) anyhow, he is and always has been living free and clear in osage county , Hominy Oklahoma... with no one even having the chance to know what lies in their midst, probably still doing the same things ???? I confronted him through a letter, a few years back, just trying to get some closure, explanation , or something ? His wife, who has been by his side the whole time, knowing he did these things, had the nerve to say it was ALL MY FAULT even though after reading my letter and giving it to her to read, he said, I did that too her almost 20 years ago, why does that want to bring that up now ?
I was 11, did not even know about sex, was very sheltered that way... and I am to blame ? I developed a chest early, and was already in a c cup at 11 and according to her, I was ENTICING him ??? by being too sexy ? see, so it is NOT just the men that are sick, it is also the women who are enablers.... sick sick sick, I could have been laying nude on the couch begging him to have sex with me, and he as a 37 year old man... should have NEVER even layed a look or finger my way... but I was dressed in a non seductive manner all the time and because I had breasts she thinks I deserved it, and was intentionally arousing him ..... PUUUHHHHHLLLLEEEEAAASSSEEE
she deserves jail time, just like him.

http://gazetteonline.com/2005/03/26/Home/jetsetacause.htm

James Bentley, 33, of Vinton, is now in the Linn County Jail on a charge of second-degree sexual abuse of a 10-year-old girl over the course of more than two years. Trena Gage on Friday identified Jetseta as the victim in that charge. The Johnson County Sheriff's Office Saturday night also said Jetseta was the victim in that case.
In another article it states that she only dated James for over a year, yet here it states that Jetseta was the victim who was sexually abused by him for more than two years. ??????

Jovin,
I think either one of two things happened here...
Either Trena met James Bentley and was just friends with him for a while before dating , and maybe it was for a year or so before they dated, and then they were just friends, and he was already sexually assaulting Jetseta at this time before they were dating, and continued to do so while him and Trena dated, and then she found out and pressed charges and the dating stopped because she found out about him and her daughter ? OR the more likely scenario might be ? they dated, felt they were not in love , not the ones for each other, but remained friends ??? and he would visit her , and/or the kids even after they decided not to date anymore, cause maybe they still enjoyed each others company , even after deciding they did not want to be romantically involved that happens a lot, so maybe he would have oppurtunities while visiting Trena, or visiting the kids to sexually abuse Jetseta ? or maybe she even allowed him to babysit the kids sometimes since they had dated and were still friends ? I don't know but just because they were no longer dating after the year, doesn't mean they were no longer friends ??? she was probably still friends with both James and Roger. Or maybe he came and picked up the kids or just Jetseta to take them/her places like ball games , the zoo, whatever... and did things to her then ?? Some parents are very stupid and allow their kids to go off with just about anybody , cause they have met them, they THINK they know what kind of person this person is and they never really do...
I don't know when, or how Trena found out James was molesting her daughter, or how did she know it had been going on for 2 1/2 years ?:confused: but what I still think is REALLY REALLY STUPID:furious: is that she would have continued to allow Roger around her and her kids (knowing what his brother was like) ... wonder if he ever had any alone time oppurtunities around Jetseta also, that he could have been also molesting her before this time ? Maybe the 2 brothers were in it together ? Maybe he killed Jetseta to get revenge on Trena for pressing charges against his brother ???
Any how , one of these articles states that James comitted these sexual crimes against Jetseta in 2 different counties, and another article talks about how Trena had JUST moved into this new house in the end of last year, from a different county where she was living in low $$$ public assistance housing.
NOW... so that says right there, that she did continue to keep in touch with James, after their dating was over, for him to have sexually abused Jetseta in the old house and new , (2 different counties), I wonder if she KNEW before moving ? or if she just caught him/found out, when they moved to the new house ?
I do not know , but the whole thing should have never happened, and is VERY sad !!!:mad:

Bond for Bentley set at 1 million dollars, cash only.

Jetseta's mom is saying that she had no idea this could happen to her child. She is also urging all parents to check the registries & talk to their children about molesters.

I have no idea why this mom remained in contact with this guy but I don't believe for a second that she would have put her daughter in harm's way intentionally. Like many people, she might simply have been too trusting. My heart is breaking for her, for Jetseta's brother & Grandmother, and for all who love her.

What a heart breaking story. Jetseta's mother had dated the murder's brother James Bently for who had been molesting Jetseta for 2 years. Jetseta and her mother where to testify in a upcoming trial and Roger end up's murdering her what a heart breaking story.

Dark Shadows said:
Wow, two sexual predators within the same family, whats that all about?:hand:

Were they both abused as children? Inquiring minds would like to know?

:twocents: DS
Or was it the genes that they share? Very interesting question, one with no clear answer unfortunately.

Hopefully we'll hear more about the history of these two as time goes by. It would be interesting to find out something about what "made" them what they are.

Didn't he realize that he was going to be the prime suspect in her death? I don't understand what he was thinking. He was seen leaving with her so this is just crazy!

Jovin I totaly agree with you. What a evil group of people.

I posted several threads yesterday showing that it was said by Trena (Jetseta's Mom) that James had been awaiting a may 31st trial for the 2 1/2 years he had been molesting Jetseta, and I posted a couple replies, asking if any of you thought Roger could have killed Jetseta as revenge on the family for pressing charges on James, and sending him to jail ? This would make a lot of sense, a bad thing to do but been done before.

This is so difficult to understand! The Gage family being friends with two, adult, male child molesters...and one of the two already charged with molesting the Gage daughter/granddaughter.

I say this with respect (because I have 2 mentally handicapped male children of my own) but maybe Jetseta isn't the only one mentally deficient in this case?

It also seems odd that Jetseta's brother told his grandmother and mother that Jetseta left with Roger in his truck yet the mother went *door to door* asking neighbors if they'd seen Jetseta before calling police. That just makes no sense to me.

Such a tragedy, it just breaks my heart.

LovelyPigeon said:
......It also seems odd that Jetseta's brother told his grandmother and mother that Jetseta left with Roger in his truck yet the mother went *door to door* asking neighbors if they'd seen Jetseta before calling police. That just makes no sense to me.

I thought that was very strange too. Maybe she was hoping the brother didn't really know..maybe he just said that he thought he saw her in the truck.

As far as a revenge killing...I can't really see it. I just can't see him killing her for any other reason except impulse...or accidental....HE HAD TO KNOW HE'D BE SEARCHED OUT FOR THIS!!

BldWhtRose said:
I posted a couple replies, asking if any of you thought Roger could have killed Jetseta as revenge on the family for pressing charges on James, and sending him to jail ?
I doubt it only because the guy was already a registered sex offender. He was given the "perfect opportunity" to take off with a child, and ran with it. I think he took her, assaulted her, and murdered her the same way other predators do, for exactly the same reasons. May he finally receive the justice he should have received after his first conviction!

Besides, most of us would be completely incapable of murdering a child. Even those that seek revenge would most likely go after the mother rather than the child.

BldWhtRose said:
I posted several threads yesterday showing that it was said by Trena (Jetseta's Mom) that James had been awaiting a may 31st trial for the 2 1/2 years he had been molesting Jetseta, and I posted a couple replies, asking if any of you thought Roger could have killed Jetseta as revenge on the family for pressing charges on James, and sending him to jail ? This would make a lot of sense, a bad thing to do but been done before.

That could be a theory, except he molested her too.

He knew he was seen driving away with her, he was caught soon afterwards with her body being found on the same property he was on. What was he thinking? It's like these people have nothing upstairs. Ludicrous!

JMHO
fran

BldWhtRose said:
I thought of that too, and I don't think the fact that he molested her would discount the revenge factor. However, I think this creep would have molested her even if his brother hadn't gotten caught. In fact I wonder if he has molested her prior to this.

JerseyGirl said:
LWOP after molesting, before they have a chance to murder.

DP in every case where death is a result.
I would back this law 100% ~ and include perps who molest anyone ~ not just children ~ * ~ 20 years in prison--10 months after his release ~ and that creep who was imprisoned for "life" with parole for rape & "attempted" ~ found himself another victim ~ Dru ~ only this time the murder wasn't only an "attempt."

Life Without ANY Possibility of Parole after kidnapping and molesting, before they have a chance to murder.

DP in every case where death is a result.

Some exerpts from some of the news reports....

http://www.kcrg.com/article.aspx?art_id=96406&cat_id=123

His half-sister said she was afraid to be alone with him. "I can't stand being in the same room with him," Powell said.

Now, Bentley's half-sister says the memories of her brother still haunt her. "Whenever he looks at me, I just shudder. I don't like him coming near me," Powell said.

Now there is half-sister who sings a different tone than Couey's

Many of Bentley's neighbors didn't know he is a convicted sex offender. When they found out he lives so close to their children, they weren't happy. "They shouldn't have a second chance. You do that once, you don't deserve a second chance,"

I think we are finding this is a common scenario...people don't know...people are busy with thier lives and don't think about looking at registries. And as it's been said before, some don't have computer access. I say print their faces in the newspapers (of course it would take a huge volume to do that here) but not everyone reads the newspaper.

As far as his brother goes:

http://www.kcrg.com/article.aspx?art_id=96410&cat_id=123

Denton did admit Jetseta's death might change the case, but for now the trial is still set for May 31st.

Denton said, "Obviously we're looking at it. This is a change in circumstances. We'll be evaluating the evidence and evaluating the case and try to make a determination as exactly how to proceed."

James' case is similar to his brother's in that they are both accused of molesting Jetseta.

I wondered if this would through any wrenches into prosecuting his case...hopefully it won't. I think the bottom line for me is that the best thing we can do is go for Jersey Girls suggestion LWOP after molesting, before they have a chance to murder.

ETA...this is another one that got me

Child stealing is a class C felony carrying only a ten year term

A ten year term??!! For taking a child??!!

lady-eowyn said:
I say print their faces in the newspapers (of course it would take a huge volume to do that here) but not everyone reads the newspaper.
I was thinking about this the other day. Why not have commercials that tell people a web address or a phone number to access their registry? Run it during high viewership shows ... the news, talk shows like Oprah, Dr. Phil, Maury & Jerry Springer, court shows like Texas Justice, etc. If the shows on which the number & web site is advertised are broad enough, you could get quite a segment of the population with the commercials. To make people pay attention, perhaps mention statistics or something to get them interested enough to make the call.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back