IA IA - Jodi Huisentruit, 27, Anchorwoman, Mason City, 27 June 1995 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Steve Ridge met with John Vansice in 2019. One thing Ridge said afterward was:
"What has never been known all this time is the fact that he did in fact have a steady girlfriend at his own age," said Ridge. "But due to some circumstances that I can't disclose yet, he was not able to see [his girlfriend at the time] in public."

New in Jodi Huisentruit case: Corridor man speaks to person of interest

But we know that LW already had said that JV had a GF in 1995, and that the GF was LW's friend. What circumstances might have prevented JV from seeing this GF in public?! And what are the circumstances that Ridge says keep him from disclosing why JV was not able to see this GF in public? Strange.

Ridge would not say one way or the other whether he thought JV abducted Jodi: if he didnt' think that was the case why not just say no i don't think he did. hmmmm

"What has never been known all this time is the fact that he did in fact have a steady girlfriend at his own age," said Ridge. "But due to some circumstances that I can't disclose yet, he was not able to see [his girlfriend at the time] in public."

But we know that LW already had said that JV had a GF in 1995, and that the GF was LW's friend. What circumstances might have prevented JV from seeing this GF in public?! And what are the circumstances that Ridge says keep him from disclosing why JV was not able to see this GF in public? Strange.
It seems to me, reading these tea leaves, that this mysterious female friend of LaDonna Woodford which friend was JV's secret girlfriend at the time of Jodi's disappearance, is probably the individual Steve Ridge says recently admitted to having destroyed evidence back in '95 and thereby potentially hindered solving of the case.

Last edited:

To me there’d only be one reason then: she was married. And one reason now: she’s still married to that same person. Or wanting to save face in her church/ friend circle/ community/ professional life/ husband’s professional life? Maybe wife of a deputy or chief?

ETA: If you were a paramour or spouse of a paramour, wanting to know the truth of an affair, a diary/notebooks would be a logical place to look for information/ evidence. Jmo

Last edited:
Because maybe JV was accessory after the fact, protecting the GF? So not guilty, but not innocent either?

There are several possible suspects---- i hope someday we find out who it is- at this point I remain stuck on JV as the one who did this but at this point--- we just have to hope this case gets solved some day!!!

There are several possible suspects---- i hope someday we find out who it is- at this point I remain stuck on JV as the one who did this but at this point--- we just have to hope this case gets solved some day!!!
I definitely share that hope. I’ve waffled regarding whodunnit since I first read about the abduction in the newspaper back in the day. Most often think JV. Then not. Idk!

So we have Steve Ridge who is not affiliated with law enforcement drawing out the investigation that I'd wager has already been covered by official law enforcement. I wish him luck. Perhaps he has uncovered a new lead but what's it going to take to get the authorities to bite on his latest revelation? Ridge cannot convene a grand jury.

So we have Steve Ridge who is not affiliated with law enforcement drawing out the investigation that I'd wager has already been covered by official law enforcement. I wish him luck. Perhaps he has uncovered a new lead but what's it going to take to get the authorities to bite on his latest revelation? Ridge cannot convene a grand jury.

You have to wonder how much attention this very cold case is getting---- i am sure they have active cases that take a lot of their time -- do they have a cold case unit? There is something about Jodi that makes us care so much that her abductor be identified. She touched us.

You have to wonder how much attention this very cold case is getting---- i am sure they have active cases that take a lot of their time -- do they have a cold case unit? There is something about Jodi that makes us care so much that her abductor be identified. She touched us.
MCPD claims that it has never gone cold -- many close to Jodi doubt this however.

Based on 2017 search warrant, Brinkley claiming "cat in the bag" in 2018, and the various facts that have been assembled, it seems likely that MCPD have almost enough to take JVS to trial except for a body or confession. Whether he is guilty or not, who knows. Just speculation ofc

After watching a lot of crime shows on ID and such, I have come to the conclusion that some prosecutors need an almost perfect case to take to trial and so they never take it to trial, while others will take a chance, even without a body, if they feel they have enough evidence. It is hard to know what the situation is here.

I definitely share that hope. I’ve waffled regarding whodunnit since I first read about the abduction in the newspaper back in the day. Most often think JV. Then not. Idk!

The more I learn, the less sure I am. I'd put at at 50% one of the John's did it, 25% the stalker and/or crank caller, 10% someone else whose name has come up (a cop, perv, drug kingpin, rapist, co-worker, friend, penpal, boater, etc) and 15% someone whose name has never come up.

Last edited:
Jim definitely wasn’t fixated on JV. He actually had a handful of potential suspects and yes JV was always one of them. He accumulated an unbelievable amount of knowledge on Jodi’s case over the years and had a passion like no other to solve it.
Thanks. Then I'd simply note that he repeatedly tacitly referred to JV in those portions of the interview that made it past the cutting room floor. Would like to have seen the unedited interview.

Check this out - it was posted on the FindJodi site recently. Police report reveals truck following Jodi in 1994 was white • Find Jodi Huisentruit. In a math equation 2+2+ (100*0) = 4. What if JVS did do it, but someone else was following her around. Someone like the former city manager mentioned in the Up&Vanished show? That would be enough of a variable to throw off the investigation for 25 years, because people would want to save face - and because the evidence against JVS is all circumstantial and he even passed a lie detector test. Bringing someone to trial on circumstantial evidence is possible, but if there are other admirers out there that MCPD didn't fully look into (for various reasons), it's complicates things.

Check this out - it was posted on the FindJodi site recently. Police report reveals truck following Jodi in 1994 was white • Find Jodi Huisentruit. In a math equation 2+2+ (100*0) = 4. What if JVS did do it, but someone else was following her around. Someone like the former city manager mentioned in the Up&Vanished show? That would be enough of a variable to throw off the investigation for 25 years, because people would want to save face - and because the evidence against JVS is all circumstantial and he even passed a lie detector test. Bringing someone to trial on circumstantial evidence is possible, but if there are other admirers out there that MCPD didn't fully look into (for various reasons), it's complicates things.

Do we know for sure JVS passed a polygraph? I thought that was what JVS stated, but LE has never confirmed that he passed one.

Do we know for sure JVS passed a polygraph? I thought that was what JVS stated, but LE has never confirmed that he passed one.

This linked article references a 2018 press release by CBS concerning its then new 48 Hours episode in which press release CBS asserts that MCPD had confirmed that Vancise had passed a polygraph.

’48 Hours’ to feature Jodi Huisentruit’s 1995 disappearance in Iowa – Twin Cities

“Vansice denies any involvement with her disappearance,” the release states. “Police have never called him a suspect and confirmed he passed a polygraph. Still, in 2017, police obtained a search warrant for GPS information from two of his vehicles.”

This linked article references a 2018 press release by CBS concerning its then new 48 Hours episode in which press release CBS asserts that MCPD had confirmed that Vancise had passed a polygraph.

’48 Hours’ to feature Jodi Huisentruit’s 1995 disappearance in Iowa – Twin Cities

“Vansice denies any involvement with her disappearance,” the release states. “Police have never called him a suspect and confirmed he passed a polygraph. Still, in 2017, police obtained a search warrant for GPS information from two of his vehicles.”
Still bugged about that GPS. Did they think he’d return to some body-dump site & they’d find Jodi & finally have a case? Clearly he either never went anywhere suspicious, or MCPD never had the right tools/manpower to find remains wherever he went. I’m guessing it was a dead end.

Still bugged about that GPS. Did they think he’d return to some body-dump site & they’d find Jodi & finally have a case? Clearly he either never went anywhere suspicious, or MCPD never had the right tools/manpower to find remains wherever he went. I’m guessing it was a dead end.
I believe they absolutely thought or hoped he might visit the site Jodi was at for some reason. It’s a clear tell to me LE thinks he’s responsible but can’t prove it.

I believe they absolutely thought or hoped he might visit the site Jodi was at for some reason. It’s a clear tell to me LE thinks he’s responsible but can’t prove it.
Then there's always the possibility that if JV isn't the perp LE's fixation on him may have resulted in failure to pin down actual perp. See Jacob Wetterling case.
Wetterling neighbor says police treated him unjustly

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heatherrandolp