Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
things

has the perp gone to great effort to hide Mollie? or have we just not found her yet and she is close by, in a cornfield or somewhere we missed?

she runs every day, so there is a lot to be said for some one maybe not even stalking her but seeing her everyday , running alone.

running with earbuds is dangerous, she may not have heard a car behind her. She is a very small person and would be easy to attack from behind, a gun would not be necessary if she was quickly rendered unconscious.

rural areas are fringe.

quiet, surrounded by wilderness, full of hiding places, scarce neighbors..lots uf uninhabited dwellings and structures and screams will not be heard.

Its very interesting that this happened on the one night there were no men in that house.

her day was just like any other day.

MOO

I cringe just about every time I see a female out running or exercising either wearing a sports bra and/or using earbuds and I live in a town of 100k plus. I don't think it's safe to be doing either in this world. Sadly the only way I think she is still alive is if she was picked up as a part of some kind of trafficking ring - I don't think she is being held alive at this point there in or around her town. Really hope I am wrong.

Thinking again about the most recent presser (Friday)...

In addition to no one stating they believed MT is still alive, there also were no direct pleas addressed to MT for her to return home, no direct pleas addressed to any someone who might have abducted her.... but Winker did state they are treating this as a "missing persons investigation" when asked by a reporter if LE believes this was a stranger abduction.

The only piece of (assumed) fact released directly by LE is, "Mollie was last seen jogging in the city of Brooklyn."

Has there been any other tidbit released by LE beyond the possible clothing she was wearing during her jog, and even that information is in question?

There could be multiple reasons for LE withholding what they 'know':

1) Keep a perp wondering if LE is close to discovering their identity.
2) Prevent wannabe's from taking 'credit' for a crime they did not commit.
3) Provide a confirmation path if a perp is identified and questioned for facts.
4) Ensure large press showings at press conferences, with media hoping a NEXT presser provides new information.
5) CYA. Essentially, "We're working this case day and night."
6) LE hasn't discovered much beyond that MT was jogging and has gone missing.

same...it would be a great opportunity for someone to have an opportunity with mollie alone.

taking this a step further, while low on my list, i cant rule out a female POI. this is far fetched but what if it was someone that was in love with DJ and purposefully picked that night/time period so she made sure he would have a solid alibi, along with his brother/brothers fiance. and uses mollie missing as a way to get close to him. hes a cute guy, i wouldnt be surprised if a few girls in their social circle/town liked him.

far fetched, ik but the shape of a jealous female cant be ruled out entirely for me given what little we have to go on.
No, not so far-fetched. I've watched enough Dateline to know that life is stranger than fiction.

But another girl - a jealous girl - being involved is a scenario I am going to spend the day considering.

Mom said that both red tee shirts were found in her room. That changes things for me definitely and it makes me wonder about that statement by the neighbor that she was on her computer that night.

I'm not aware of any neighbor saying anything about her being on her computer. Are you sure that didn't get mixed up with what family members have said? (And they attributed their information to LE.)

There is so much discussion here about whodunit and how. While we don't know who the perp is, the lack of information given at the press conferences along with the themes that have been repeated over and over by LE regarding Mollie, indicate to me that they do know who is responsible. If they had no clue whether she was kidnapped by a stranger during a jog or ran off willingly to Mexico with an unknown boyfriend, they'd be divulging everything they do know and begging the public for help IMO.

I think it is clear from what has been posited by investigators that the perp is somebody well known to Mollie and either one of the people that we are not allowed to discuss on this forum or somebody she was having a fling/affair with. Possibly met at college or online dating site. In this case, LE are likely aware of this person after searching her SM and computer.

I could see a case where she went to meet with this romantic interest while her BF and roommates were out of town. She wouldn't want this person picking her up in the driveway because the neighbors might see, so she went for a jog to meet with him someplace away from prying eyes. This person might be jealous of her upcoming trip to the Dominican Republic with her boyfriend and so he decides to not let that happen.

Last edited:
Could the red shirt found recently been put there by the perpetrator to throw investigators off? Could it be just another red shirt, not one belonging to victim?

I don’t think we have confirmation that a red shirt was found there. Do we?

A couple cases that came to mind while reading, just in case it sparks interest for any of you:

Chelsea Bruck case - they discovered a part of her Halloween costume 6 months after she disappeared...and recovered her body a few weeks later at a different site a few miles away.

This case just occurred to me bc it’s another case where a piece of clothing possibly turned up, and DNA did in fact confirm it being hers, but it was unexplainably found in a different location than Chelsea herself. (Similar theories were tossed around as the ones currently being pitched regarding Mollie. Was the clothing item planted to throw people off? Was she taken to that site first and then moved?)

The police were very closed off about all the details in Chelsea's case and the public was similarly frustrated at how little info was put out. But the perp was caught more than a year after Chelsea disappeared when he committed a crime and his DNA matched some found on Chelsea's body.

Toni Anderson - I don’t think this one is similar, but I will put it out here because of a small chance of similarity. This young woman was out traveling alone (but in a car) on a stormy night. It was not known who she was with and, due to some of her associates, most people believed she was abducted or the victim of foul play. She was eventually discovered in her car at the bottom of a river, though, having seemingly taken a wrong turn in dark, stormy conditions. She apparently drove down a poorly lit boat ramp at night believing it to be a road. (Of course, there were a small few who still believed that could have been staged, but investigators believed the scene was consistent with an accidental drowning.) I only throw this out to acknowledge the tiny possibility that even with all this speculation, Mollie could turn up to have somehow died accidentally and she just hasn’t been discovered yet because we are unaware of all the possible places she could’ve traveled that day.

While I leave room for other possibilities, I think the most likely scenario is:

--she was abducted or just left willingly with a known acquaintance who harmed her or is now not allowing her to leave.
--it happened on the run or shortly after.
--it happened at night rather than during the day.

I do not feel like the dogs tell us anything because there are too many reasons they could've been put in the basement (she's trying to study, someone comes to the door, she's leaving for the day). Without other evidence, we can't narrow down whether that's a helpful clue.

I also don't feel like a red shirt or part of a red shirt is helpful yet, until someone confirms it is Mollie's. If they find her DNA on one that may have been picked up by the pig farm, yes. If it has the day care logo on it, yes. Until then, it doesn't prove or disprove anything for me.

Can't remember who asked about general consensus what we believe on when/where she was taken but here is my thought process on that. I think she did return home from the jog, maybe even quickly checked in on her online class, and then prepared to head over to her moms for dinner (where she probably would have confirmed a morning work ride plan with her brother). Didn't a neighbor report that she was walking like she didn't have a care in the world? Then I think she gets a call from a friend while she is walking, or a friend pulls up alongside her in their car, and she invites them over and turns around and goes back to DJ's house. At some point they leave the house (maybe to grab a bite to eat since she never made it to dinner) and her phone is still in the armband attached to the headphones so she just grabs the whole thing, hence why they are missing too. She sends a snap to DJ at 9:45pm and the foul play occurred shortly there after and she never makes it home. I think it happened away from the home because her mom said LE asked her if she was in a house at 9:45pm so I assume the data returned from snapchat showed the snap was sent at 9:45pm and that it was not sent from BJ/AH's home wifi (otherwise no need to ask her that question at all). The contacts being at home isn't obvious in this scenario but I'm also not too hung up on that, she could have multiple pairs, or she could have gotten some dust in on her walk and decided to clean them and never got to putting them back in, etc. My entire family wears glasses or contacts for various reasons but we could all easily go without for a bit if we weren't driving.

I don't think she was taken by a stranger while out on her jog because it would have been in the 7-9pm timeframe (DJ says they texted at 7pm, she was seen out around 7:30pm, and she is said to not normally jog in the dark), but that still leaves the snap to DJ around 9:45 (see above). I don't think she was taken by a stranger at her house because they would not have known to put the dogs in the basement.

Of course this is based on accounts of events given by everyone but LE so plenty of room for error if those accounts aren't ever confirmed. Also this is my best theory that fits into WS TOS, but its not actually my top theory ;)

Last edited:
I'm not aware of any neighbor saying anything about her being on her computer. Are you sure that didn't get mixed up with what family members have said? (And they attributed their information to LE.)

It was the neighbor in an interview. He said that LE told him that. I’ll go look for the article and post it.

" Neighbor Dave Collum, a retired maintenance director for the school district, said he was interviewed by investigators who told him that data from Tibbetts' Fitbit showed she jogged past his home that evening and made it home from the run safely. He said investigators told him she was doing homework on her computer later that evening."
Mother of missing Iowa college student recounts last text she sent to daughter

No, not so far-fetched. I've watched enough Dateline to know that life is stranger than fiction.

But another girl - a jealous girl - being involved is a scenario I am going to spend the day considering.

if it helps your brainstorming, if this wasnt a girl jealous about mollies bf, my alternative scenario is a girl that liked a guy but this guy liked/flirted w mollie instead.

could be in town or on the college campus. this girl maybe was even a bit shy/felt she wasnt noticed in social circles. mollie seems pretty committed to her bf from what we know, so she prob had ZERO feelings back for this guy, which could infuriate this girl more. and maybe mollie did flirt w him - at that age just bc you have bf doesnt mean you dont like the harmless flattery.

If the shirts were in her room at mom’s, she would need to go home that evening to get one. It’s plausible that she decided to extend her jog and head there for dinner without stopping at her Boyfriend’s house. This would be an efficient use of time.

Have LE ruled out their assertion that they believed she made it home after her 7:30 run and worked on homework until late evening?

Only my second post... The first was full of questions regarding a possible abduction, this one will be different...
That three hour conversation with dad is looking larger and larger to me. ImI not sure how extensively it's been talked about here, but, I'm starting to really wonder if she left on her own accord. Possibly the stress of expectations, the boredom of small town options... Taking care of the dogs first is simple kindness, leaving things behind could be because she wanted to rid herself of the trappings of that existence. Im sure she would need help with this, but it could be a possibility.
The search in a certain area... Could be that that's where she tossed some things out of a car on her way out of town. Maybe it was planned, maybe it was spontaneous... And then, it really blows up, and she feels she can't just reappear.
I'm possibly floating these thoughts because I'm being optimistic, and don't want to fathom the sad outcome of the other theories. And... With the complete lack of evidence, maybe we're looking in the wrong direction. I really feel that long conversation with her dad could hold some keys.
Hoping the best for this young woman.

The more I read, the more I can’t help but think that this hits close to home. Someone who knew her and had a simmering anger or resentment and just blew. Who is seeking attention through this, who has an axe to grind? There are dynamics at play that we don't know about. Sometimes the most guilty ones control the information and use it to steer it away from them through leaks and misinformation. The effort to conceal where Mollie is and what has happened to her has been extensive, that would be done by someone who has a lot to lose if found out.

If it is a sexual predator, it also feels local, someone who knows the terrain and has been watching Mollie...rural areas also have so many sheds and out buildings where she could be held. The cornfields and the woods, the very thing that makes it Brooklyn beautiful also makes it a perfect hiding place.

Whatever happened, the perpetrator was aware enough of the surroundings to do this sight unseen, in a small town there are a lot of eyes, everyone knows your business. This person knew exactly what to do, when to do it, and where.

If in fact it was a random outsider, he/she would’ve had a whole different MO, if by purpose or random accident. It’s just as scary a conclusion as any.

LE has the profile by now, they have interviewed enough people to get a good picture of Mollie’s life and everyone in it.

The hardest part is in the process of getting to “know” who Mollie is, the knowledge that someone has taken this sweet girl away from friends and family. She’s a kind hearted person who wants work with and help troubled children. She’s someone who wants to do good things in this world. I pray for her return, as we need as many Mollies as we can get.

The hardest part is in the process of getting to “know” who Mollie is, the knowledge that someone has taken this sweet girl away from friends and family. She’s a kind hearted person who wants work with and help troubled children. She’s someone who wants to do good things in this world. I pray for her return, as we need as many Mollies as we can get.

And even worse if the perp is someone close to or in the family.

Hello! Long time reader and first time posting! Being a fellow runner, this case caught my eye and I haven't been able to stop thinking about it all. I had been wondering the same thing in regards to who she meet at college/hung out with/friends of friends there, etc. I know that when I was in college, you kind of had your old high school friends and your new college friends and didn't always do things with the 2 groups together.

Also, my thoughts go to the cell phone data - I would assume that LE would be able to see the basic activity of texts and phone calls via access to her cell service provider, as in calls in/out and texts in/out with a date and time? Usually you can see all that information on your cell bill. Would a cell provider or manufacture (Apple in this case since she had an iphone) be able to see what the actual contents of text messages would have been?

I really hope that there are some answers soon. My heart breaks for her family and for MT. :(
Welcome!!! Nice to meet you.
Chi :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members