Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was kind of late to find out about this case, and have only been following for the last few days. I have lots of theories, but most have been mentioned by others. Here is one that just crossed my mind.:

- IF there is any possibility that Mollie was really doing homework later at night, perhaps she was in communication (via snap chat?) with someone in her summer class (if it was NOT an online class)?Maybe she was working in a group and communicating via live chat that accompany certain live document sharing programs? Maybe she mentioned being home alone to a classmate? Maybe a study session was arranged? The only reason this popped in my head is that when I was a college student taking a summer session, a classmate formed a mini obsession with me. It was a smaller class, so classmates got to know each other quickly. In my case, the guy was normal and accepting of my explanation that I had a boyfriend and was not interested...but perhaps Mollie attracted a classmate who was not so understanding of rejection.

What does NOT fit with this scenario, is why only her running accessories were missing. Still, just wondering if she attracted a predator in her summer class, and that person was aware that she would be home alone and also that she was going out for a run. However, if something like this were the case, likely LE would find some kind of record of communications, unless it was strictly through snap chat, or an account they are not aware of.

Edited to add: I just heard an interview with Mollie’s father and Nancy Grace, and father mentions ONLINE classes, which I assume makes this scenario much more unlikely.

Last edited:
Why do you feel that he is not the perp? How many people who know who have been convicted of stalking not once but twice? Most cases of stalking are not even prosecuted. That he has two convictions suggests to me that stalking women is probably his primary occupation, with pig farming being a sideline.
There were two instances of stalking behavior with an ex. One involved calling her when he was not supposed to. We don’t have any evidence that he stalked people that he didn’t know. “Stalking” sends up everyone’s radar, but we have no evidence of him targeting people that he didn’t have a prior relationship with.

Why do you feel that he is not the perp? How many people who know who have been convicted of stalking not once but twice? Most cases of stalking are not even prosecuted. That he has two convictions suggests to me that stalking women is probably his primary occupation, with pig farming being a sideline.

Sometimes things are not as they seem, is the best way I can put it. Yes, it could be him, his priors indicate that stalking behaviour is not an alien concept to him.
But
There are a lot of Cheneys out there. It could easily be someone in his family, someone he has suspicions/proof of, maybe even helped cover-up, but it wasn't actually him. My mind is leaning in this direction today. No doubt it will be somewhere else tomorrow!

With the Jacob Wetterling case , he was missing at least 25 years. The killer was actually interviewed by the media early on. Why no one followed up on him is totally bizarre.

He did not live in the same town, but after he was caught, there was a podcast done and it was discovered that he probably had stalked the neighborhood and his activities had been reported.

He also did some attempted snatched before. Apparently he never did another one after Jacob.

He was a laborer that worked on a turkey farm I think. It might have been another type of farm. Totally messes up life. He looked at child *advertiser censored* but stuff he made himself .

What would be the profile of someone that took Mollie? There seems to be all types such as the creep that took Hannah Graham. Ted Bundy. Those cousins that took the girls out in the paacific Northwest. BTK. Keyes.

I wonder if there are any reports of peepers or attempts on girls in the 25 or so mile area

There were two instances of stalking behavior with an ex. One involved calling her when he was not supposed to. We don’t have any evidence that he stalked people that he didn’t know. “Stalking” sends up everyone’s radar, but we have no evidence of him targeting people that he didn’t have a prior relationship with.

We do not actually know what he has done. It was only reported by him and he said one incident when we know it was at least two

It's kind of crazy that we all invest so much time, brain cells, and emotions on these cases when we almost never have all the info LE does...and even LE, with all the info they may have, cannot solve them.

I've been here at WS for a decade (I've had to change my username several times due to password/email issues), and it just becomes so disheartening with case after case, doesn't it?

And, yet, we're all still here...

As usual, I'm making no headway on catching up, so I apologize again for anything repeated and/or disproved in the last few pages.

I haven't heard anything about what kind of damage was done when the hardware store was vandalized, so I'm going on the premise that it included a broken window. Someday I just may have to write a murder mystery! Okay, so I'm sticking with my other scenarios in that she got dropped off around 5:30, went inside, took care of the dogs, did some changed into her running clothes, did some homework, chatted with her mother about the dessert, dinner and going for a run. She then took a quick picture and sent it to DJ through SC, put the dogs back downstairs and left for her run. She may have grabbed her red shirt (if she did have one there) in case she decided to spend the night at home after dinner. She went east on W Des Moines, where she was seen by the neighbor, turned south on Jackson (where she was seen by the funeral home), and west on Front Street (which is where the hardware store is.) A person may have been watching her and waiting for a chance to grab her without witnesses, and may have seen the opportunity just as she was getting to to the HW store. He grabbed her, but she fought back and they ended up crashing into the window. If she did have the shirt with her, he may have grabbed it to avoid leaving any evidence of what had happened. Then ... a bunch of other stuff happened, but I'll have to do some work on the next chapter. :confused:

The FBI visiting him multiple times, his refusal to take a polygraph, and the idiocy of telling Fox News (which broadcast it to the world) that he refused a polygraph, are sending up my radar up to the moon.

I have a three part question - how I wish someone local was here on our board -

When I tried to use google maps I looked at surface water and when you drive along the road where the HS is you go over BIG BEAR Creek not far from it, that creek actually winds its way to that 170 road that takes off North from Dalton's home. When I looked over the the rails along Hwy 398 I could see car tracks -

How does one get down to Big Bear Creek? Is that something folks do out there? Drive along the creeks?

I really hope this isn’t going to be a case where Mollie is found by hunters several months down the line. I’m very worried about dna not surviving and the perpetrator catching a lucky break. I’m sorry to post as though Mollie is no longer with us I hope and pray that somehow she is.

Mollie’s family, law enforcement and FBI must be emotionally and physically exhausted.

That's what I'm worried about too!

I believe the report was file don July 18 because I believe something LC said confirms the date. LC said, (bbm) "The night she went missing, I was distraught." Since it wasn't until July 19 that MT did not show up for work, we must conclude LC was distraught on the night of July 18, which coincides with the "reported missing July 18, 2018" information on the Missing Persons Clearinghouse website.
The sheriff's call log - posted on their Facebook page - clearly shows that the Missing Persons report was at 5:56pm on July 19th. There is no mistake on when she was reported missing. When law enforcement thinks she went missing is an entirely different matter.

The FBI visiting him multiple times, his refusal to take a polygraph, and the idiocy of telling Fox News that he refused a polygraph, are sending up my radar up to the moon.
Mine too. I’m just saying that people might be reading too much into his prior “stalking” behavior, because of the context. I’m just saying it’s not necessarily as nefarious as that part sounds.

I’m just saying that we don’t have evidence of him going around, stalking random women.

You are correct, he does not however appear to be very mentally stable. Just the fact that he'd continue to talk to reporters after multiple discussions with the FBI and that he doesn't appear to have invoked his 5th amendment rights strike me as very strange. I wonder if LE has looked into whether he is under psychiatric care.

That is great info! Thanks. Most on here seem to be leaning towards a slightly older perp. But I wonder if someone younger than MT or perhaps a group of younger folks could have simply overwhelmed her while on a run? She wasn't physically large so I don't think the perp would have had to be very large and I can easily see a strong younger person being able to overpower her? Given what you know of the locals, do you think this scenario is likely or do you think person from outside the area is more likely? I'm baffled at this point.
If she disappeared off the streets at 7:45ish I don’t overpowering her would be a likely scenario - potential witnesses everywhere. If anything happened in plain view it would have to look like normal behavior not worth noticing - like getting in a car with a friend, but even that would likely be noticed. If there was any overpowering going on it would need to be out of sight and silent.

I think a person from out of town would be more likely, but also more likely to be seen and remembered by someone. Again, not something I could see as a possibility at that time of day.

If it could be established that Mollie did return from her run I think it most likely that somebody known to her drove to the house to pick her up much later in the evening and she left willingly with them.

You are correct, he does not however appear to be very mentally stable. Just the fact that he'd continue to talk to reporters after multiple discussions with the FBI and that he doesn't appear to have invoked his 5th amendment rights strike me as very strange. I wonder if LE has looked into whether he is under psychiatric care.
He’s definitely a strange dude, and absolutely worth looking at. I’m sure they’re looking at all aspects of his past, to include mental health.

I would ask, why is WC speaking with the press at all. He was questioned by the FBI and they took his phone for a while. <modsnipped>
As to the hardware store, back when I thought Mollie could have been taken from her house in a different timeline, I thought maybe it was to divert limited overnight LE attention to a different location before the real crime was committed. Pure speculation with no specifics. I was thinking something thrown through the window...
Last, what are the legalities of using car satellite/OnStar type data? If they can pinpoint where Mollie was via fitbit and phone, can they track vehicles back to her same locations? If this were someone local and this was not premeditated, wouldn't this give them away?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member