Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's simple. At this point it seems to be an isolated incident, at least in that immediate area. So there is no unusual danger to other residents. If a second person gets kidnapped in the area, then they might reevaluate the threat to others. If the police warned nearby residents every time a single crime was committed, everybody would be under constant warnings. Because crimes happen everyday, even in small towns.
I think they are trying to keep people as calm as is possible considering the conditions. I can only guess that people are eyeing each other with great suspicion, arming themselves, and so forth. If people become overly wrought there could be some unfortunate accidents. I'm sure LE is attempting to avoid that perhaps?

What I can't reconcile is that LE isn't telling the public that they are in danger etc. If she was abducted, they'd at least have a duty to warn then to be vigilant and careful etc? Lock doors etc? Even if they didn't know who?
Does that mean if abducted, it's someone she personally knew and this was targeted and specific? I can't reconcile this aspect. Anyone?

This is my line of thinking as well. Each time W has been asked about the public being at risk, he has given the cookie-cutter reply (I would tell everyone to ALWAYS be aware of your surroundings, etc...), but (to me), he appears almost annoyed when he says it. Just speaking for myself, I get the impression this is someone Mollie knew (or, at least, someone who knew Mollie).

Regarding other posts about LC speaking to the media. I'd like to think I'd be calm, cool and collected if my child were missing, but frankly, I wouldn't be...and you better believe I'd be screaming from the rooftops (especially after this much time and ZERO info from LE). It's easy to sit, from a distance, and judge what a mother should or should't do...but, as a mother, when it comes to my child's safety, rationality plays NO part. It's pure emotion and fierce protection (for me). It definitely wouldn't take being paid to get my message across. I'd be singing like a canary to anyone who would listen.

Speaking of being paid for information: another poster, replying to my post about co-workers not speaking, prompted me to question the LACK of leaking info from ANYONE who knew Mollie. How unusual is that? I have to believe, if LC was offered money for an interview (and I'm not convinced she was), others involved have been offered money, too. So is it simply that allllllll those who knew Mollie are THAT loyal to LE? Or is it just that no one has any real info?

I think she was attacked in the area and that her body was moved. Someone probably has suspicions but will the person report those suspicions? LE almost certainly has looked at store videos to see "clean up" purchases -- gloves, cleaner - in the days after. We've seen incriminating store videos a fair amount in other cases.

Did anything ever become of the "other" stalker? Re: The man taking pictures of joggers? Was he cleared? Reason I ask is because I wonder if he is the pig farmer.
He was identified and is from Des Moines, IA. Not the same person: Police 'continue to pursue' man taking photos of girls in Pella

Having read through several comments with hypothetical explanations for Mollie's disappearance, I get the impression that there's a hope that Mollie encountered a gentleman abductor. If we look at a known home-invader, abductor and murderer, like Israel Keyes, we know there is often nothing soft in the attack. No one wants to truly peer into the mind of someone who abducts young women and girls, but my guess is that regardless of whether she was taken during her run or from the home, this was a violent attack that left Mollie unable to help herself. That is, I'm doubtful that she was gently lured to accompany an abductor.
RSBM. I think one reason people (including myself) are speculating that it wasn't INITIALLY super violent is that it doesn't seem (from the little bit we know) that there was much of a trail left at the house, or anything that really stood out around town. It seems like there would have been something noticeable, particularly if it happened in the house, if it were super violent. Maybe not, but that's where some of my reasoning is coming from.

FoxNews just ran some videos of Mollie I had not seen before. What a vibrant young lady.
Hope today is the day she comes home. This case is sounding more and more familiar. I never changed my pic from Mickey Shunick. she was nabbed riding her bike I’m sure y’all recall. Praying hard!!
Would you have a link? Thanks

Having read through several comments with hypothetical explanations for Mollie's disappearance, I get the impression that there's a hope that Mollie encountered a gentleman abductor. If we look at a known home-invader, abductor and murderer, like Israel Keyes, we know there is often nothing soft in the attack. No one wants to truly peer into the mind of someone who abducts young women and girls, but my guess is that regardless of whether she was taken during her run or from the home, this was a violent attack that left Mollie unable to help herself. That is, I'm doubtful that she was gently lured to accompany an abductor.

Mollie's mom seems perplexed by Mollie's homework activity in the evening and the point that Mollie's running clothes and devices are missing. I understand that she expected Mollie to drop by later in the evening to collect the car, so I'm curious why she doesn't fill in the perplexing gap with the assumption that Mollie was abducted after doing some homework and before she collected the car.

I think an explanation would be what time of night LE claims she was up doing that homework. If it was late then that wouldn't support a timeline that had her abducted while jogging earlier in the evening. I increasingly believe LE is purposely putting false information out there to get people to slip up. Out of curiosity Otto..what is your field of expertise?

Linda Massengale is the store manager at Casey's General Store near Mollie's boyfriend Dalton Jack's home. In her interview, she watched the security video from the store, didn't see anything unusual. Gave it to LE. She also says that hundreds walked the corn fields, row by row, looking for Mollie on that Friday.

Mollie Tibbetts' family, friends and community speak about the on-going search
I have participated in a similar type of search, and I can assure you that you feel like throwing up every step of the way....afraid of what you might find. It's horrible, but necessary. Thank you to these good people who are doing this. Horrible situation.

I am behind again - trying to catch on THREAD 12

Had a thought about the red shirt - in so far as where it may have been found - in a ditch

Could the severe weather on the 19th have caused the shirt to move to that location?

Quote @Safeguard (from Thread 12):

Her VSCO and Instagram and FB (IIRC) were all open to the public. There was no need for someone to come and stalk her in person to gain, very personal info that could have led to her abduction. All they had to do was comb through her social media to learn her routines. From her Twitter alone, without even logging in, you are able to learn:
  • Full Name
  • School
  • Class schedule
  • Her mom's exact address
  • The full names of several friends
  • The fact that her boyfriend leaves for long periods of time
  • Her political views
  • The fact that she's a runner
  • and more...
She could have been being stalked, remotely, for quite a while without ever even being aware of it. SM can be like an "All Access Pass" to a persons life, habits, friends, family, hobbies, hangouts, personal weaknesses ect...
(If anything, this case should be a teaching moment to set your SM to friends and only add those whom you trust.)

-------
Absolutely. There was also a public Twitter post re donating for something where she included her email address in a photo.

I agree there's no such thing as a gentleman SK or gentleman criminal.

And I also agree that there's a high chance Mollie is dead.

But I think LE and the fam's words in the PC have sparked some speculation that there may be a mentally ill or otherwise troubled acquaintance, who could be fixated on Mollie...but may not have a history of violent acts/intentions. This is just speculation about lesser possibilities...as we try to think through what purpose LE and fam might have for the kinds of comments they've made.

He was identified and is from Des Moines, IA. Not the same person: Police 'continue to pursue' man taking photos of girls in Pella

RSBM. I think one reason people (including myself) are speculating that it wasn't INITIALLY super violent is that it doesn't seem (from the little bit we know) that there was much of a trail left at the house, or anything that really stood out around town. It seems like there would have been something noticeable, particularly if it happened in the house, if it were super violent. Maybe not, but that's where some of my reasoning is coming from.

IMHO

No one goes on a jog and stays in there sweaty, smelly clothes (especially a girl) = she never made it home.

Given her age, spirit, future plans, et al = she would have fought like hell if had the chance.

If brother texts in the morning to ask if you need a ride, etc. = nothing was prearranged.

Also - no worry on Wednesday night by anyone = no one was planning to see her, and then didn't (I'm thinking the Mother specifically).

LE knows that someone must have her and thus the tight lid = why else would you call off the search party? - and why would you still have a bevy of detectives stil on the case? (Unfortunately - as we live in a society fraught with "bad parenting", et al - there are plenty other crimes for the detectives to be working on!)

Hoping for the best, but acknowledging that the worst is more probable after this much time. :-(

I wouldn't read anything into whether LE tells people to lock their doors...I mean, isn't it common sense to do so? People should always lock the doors and windows to their homes and vehicles, even in rural locations, even if they think there's no need.

If LE doesn't know or doesn't have a qualified suspect in mind who they believe abducted Mollie then they can't assure the community of anything (safe or unsafe). All they can say is they don't have answers yet, and if they haven't arrested someone, then the community knows whoever it is is still out there somewhere.

rom the Iowa Department of Public Safety Missing Person Information Clearinghouse:

Missing Persons

bbm

Mollie Tibbetts was reported missing to the Poweshiek County SO, in Montezuma on Jul 18, 2018.
July 18?

URGH! Just more sloppiness from STATE folks or the SHERIFF dept actually dated the report wrong?

I have wondered about the actual time of day they drove to Montezuma and made that report. Someone has to sign a missing person report right? Could the date have been placed on the report by one of the family because that was the last day THEY knew where she was?

<modsnipped>
I think you should forward this to the tip line just so they can eliminate any connection. I doubt it is someone taunting the wedding party whose event they just ruined, but...stranger things have happened. For now, I'm sticking to the known acquaintance abducts/manipulates her on jog/walk theory.

Last edited by a moderator:
<modsnipped- please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread>

Sadly I believe that Mollie is deceased and that her body will be found within a 10 mile radius of the pig farm (assuming WC is involved).

Too late to respond to bestill on the last thread, but agree this the scenario, and agree with bestill that it will be many months before her body is discovered--if it is.

I think the most mundane and frustrating outcome (no pressing discovery, arrests, or announcements) is the most plausible at this point. Other scenarios (e.g. affair gone bad, social media stalker; relative; serial killer; accident; medical event) require new evidence to enter the realm of plausibility.

Quote @Safeguard (from Thread 12):

Her VSCO and Instagram and FB (IIRC) were all open to the public. There was no need for someone to come and stalk her in person to gain, very personal info that could have led to her abduction. All they had to do was comb through her social media to learn her routines. From her Twitter alone, without even logging in, you are able to learn:
  • Full Name
  • School
  • Class schedule
  • Her mom's exact address
  • The full names of several friends
  • The fact that her boyfriend leaves for long periods of time
  • Her political views
  • The fact that she's a runner
  • and more...
She could have been being stalked, remotely, for quite a while without ever even being aware of it. SM can be like an "All Access Pass" to a persons life, habits, friends, family, hobbies, hangouts, personal weaknesses ect...
(If anything, this case should be a teaching moment to set your SM to friends and only add those whom you trust.)

-------
Absolutely. There was also a public Twitter post re donating for something where she included her email address in a photo.

MOO but this is not some random internet stalker. The problem with that as I see it is that in this small town a person loitering around whom nobody in town knew would be immediately noticed and pointed out by locals and we would already have reports of locals reporting a stranger in town. I have had experience in small towns both as resident and as outsider and everyone in town knows when someone new is hanging around, and locals aren't shy about asking who you are, where you come from and what you're doing there. Even if you're just a family passing through for lunch on a family road trip. As far as locals protecting Mollie as one of their own too, I think that this is exactly the strategy LE is going for and whether someone steps forward or not will depend on the perceived power structure of the town... and where Mollie and the potential perp fit in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member