Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The reward for tips on the whereabouts of Mollie Tibbetts has grown to $260,000 thanks to donations from individuals and organizations nationwide.

Over 200 tips have gone through Crime Stoppers of Central Iowa's system since July 29 regarding the Mollie Tibbetts case, according to a press release.

Laura Calderwood, Mollie Tibbetts' mother, said at a news conference Thursday the "Bring Mollie Tibbetts Home Safe" fund had jumped from $30,000 to $172,000. Greg Willey of Crime Stoppers of Central Iowa said an additional $48,000 was raised by Friday. Between Friday and Sunday, another $40,000 had been raised.

"As shared before, until proven otherwise, Mollie’s family believes she is alive and with that being said, someone has her," according to a Sunday press release. "It is their hope that the money raised to let her go, would far out weight any monetary value to them to keep her."

Donors from coast to coast raise Mollie Tibbetts reward fund to $260,000

iowa-county-map.gif

Lee county isn't all that far from SE Poweshiek county...

Last edited:
To address this hardware store theory. On the same night that Mollie went missing, someone reportedly discovered vandalism related to a nearby hardware store. There has been no mention since, in any news article, nor has there been any mention of this incident by law enforcement. If there were any chance that this was related, I would expect there to be mention of it somewhere. I highly doubt that it is in any way connected, regardless of the lack of reporting on it.

Of course we can all have our opinions and more than likely it's not related, but it's one of the lines of inquiry we can pursue here that doesn't violate TOS, and as far as ruling out a connection because of LE's silence on the matter, LE has been silent about everything. If a local could verify what the nature of the vandalism was it would be easy to get the issue out of the way, but so far, nobody has been able to do so.

This link tells you what student analytics are available using the Canvas LMS.

How do I view analytics for a student in a course? | Canvas LMS Community

I recently took a course using Canvas. There is no time-out period, and the LMS remembered passwords. This is different from other LMSs, such as D2L, which does not allow the computer to remember passwords and does have a time-out period.

Instructors can see how long a student has been in the course, and I can tell you from experience that it's not unusual for a student to log into the course and walk away simply to log time in the course without wasting time wading through boring stuff.

I second this, I’ve used Canvas extensively on both the student and instructor side. The U of I uses ICON for web courses, which is Canvas, branded for the University.

Nice to see you, oceanblueeyes!! Yes, a long time. Good post. I do wonder how the dogs would act -- even though they are said to be friendly -- if they sensed tension or fear on MT's part, seems like they would be alert to a stranger, if a stranger.

He could have come to the house with "there's been a bad accident involving (some family member). I know you don't have a car, but I'll take you to the hospital right now. Come on, let's go..." Than would have done it, and off they would have gone. For good.

I do agree that she is probably not being held somewhere, but there's a hope for it.

So DH retired -- Congrats to him, and good for both of you! Please keep in touch as you can. We've missed ya! ;)

I said irrefutable proof that she was actively using her computer, not the scenario you mentioned of her being logged in. Irrefutable.

I don't think there is irrefutable proof that she was doing homework later in the evening. Three people close to Mollie said that she was online after her run, but we know that if she logged into Canvas at 5PM and went for a run, if she left the browser open it will look like she was still doing homework even if she was abducted during her run.

Furthermore, her mother said that she typically collected the car in the evening. It makes perfect sense that she intended to pick up the car at the end of her run. The fact that she did not pick up the car and did not make alternate arrangements suggests that she was unable to do so.

on the previous thread, some were mentioning the vandalism possibly related to mollie's disappearance. while i think vandalism to murder is a bit of a stretch, it got me thinking about this concept as a bigger picture: maybe mollie witnessed something she wasnt supposed to either along her run, outside between the house and the co-op or an errand/some other reason she left the house we arent yet aware of (such as caseys or true hardware)....maybe she came across a fight between two people or saw someone(s) doing something nefarious....

i dont think its the most likely, just another scenario to contemplate
Tara Grindstead was a robbery..

Exactly. Plus dog hair can transfer. So if they found a suspects car or clothes with possible dog hair transfer. Then they can compare it if needed.

I also think the dogs are valuable in promoting the theory that she wasn't abducted from inside the house. Mollie's boyfriend stated that the dogs would be free to roam the home if she was home and they would more than likely sleep on her bed. He also said that the pit/lab mix would have had something to say about it should someone break in and try to harm Mollie. To me that indicates that she was taken while out of the home and that that is what the family believes happened too.

Given LE communication strategy in this case I'm not sure I would believe this until they confirm the actual identity of the body.
I will post again.. it would only take a few hours to positive id the body... things like a tattoo, hair color/length, weight, height, skin color could help quickly determine if there was a sligh possibility it was MT but not make a positive identification. If they say it isnt her, then it isn’t and another family will be getting a phone call today. My sincere condolences to them.

possible scenarios?
1.someone with a firearm abducted her
a. from what location?
b. they knew her running route/planned the abduction/knew it was an unpopulated
...as in the Missouri boys abduction in a rural area, the abductor had a gun
"From day one, he had the gun. He had the power," Shawn said. "The thing that sticks out the most is, he said, 'You were just in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Kidnapped boy recounts 4 years of captivity
2. someone she knew tricked her into going along?
a.who?
b. from what location?
3. more than one person involved? --less likely ?

So, to summarize what I think happened, without any new information today in order of likelyhood:
1) TOS Violation to discuss. Although, I"m not sure exactly who is covered by this policy, it may or may not be a violation... but I don't like getting blocked so contact me privately if you are a member and have your own ideas along these lines. 80% chance.
2) Someone that had inside information and was connected to someone covered under #1 (So, not sure if this is allowed either since it may link to people covered in #1). 17.999% chance.
3) Someone Geographically nearby. The Porcine farmer is obvious, perhaps too obvious. But that seems to be all we can talk about or things that are even less likely. 2% Chance
4) Random abduction, SK pro, Cougars, Aliens, etc
These all have the common problem of no trace, no one seeing or hearing anything, no body, etc... .001%

I second this, I’ve used Canvas extensively on both the student and instructor side. The U of I uses ICON for web courses, which is Canvas, branded for the University.
A computer forensics tech would be able to ascertain her keystrokes and times of her last keystrokes, even if Canvas can't.... LE, I'm pretty sure, has already gone this research-route.

This link tells you what student analytics are available using the Canvas LMS.

How do I view analytics for a student in a course? | Canvas LMS Community

I recently took a course using Canvas. There is no time-out period, and the LMS remembered passwords. This is different from other LMSs, such as D2L, which does not allow the computer to remember passwords and does have a time-out period.

Instructors can see how long a student has been in the course, and I can tell you from experience that it's not unusual for a student to log into the course and walk away simply to log time in the course without wasting time wading through boring stuff.
Wow! Interesting info. I will check out the link. I know the reporting from our system was quite extensive and the passwords were not remembered and there was a multi step password recovery system and then you only got so many auto password resets before you had to call in with code to do a reset - it was unbelievable but I get why its important. Prof's even had the ability to see how long you were online reading posted materials. Nothing could be printed from the system either which was annoying. But I always thought the 'big brother' reporting aspects of the system went a bit too far. But I guess nobody can make any assumptions these days about personal privacy online. I'm just surprised Iowa as a major research institution didn't have a stronger security setup but maybe the class system wasn't on the main network? Open network links to mainframes with limited security are totally bad news IMO but I'm no expert!

I don't think there is irrefutable proof that she was doing homework later in the evening. Three people close to Mollie said that she was online after her run, but we know that if she logged into Canvas at 5PM and went for a run, if she left the browser open it will look like she was still doing homework even if she was abducted during her run.

Furthermore, her mother said that she typically collected the car in the evening. It makes perfect sense that she intended to pick up the car at the end of her run. The fact that she did not pick up the car and did not make alternate arrangements suggests that she was unable to do so.
I’m just saying “if” there is that level of proof. My original theory was that she was taken while jogging, but this digital evidence threw a wrench in that scenario. If that door is open as to her online activity, then that theory still plays. The fact that LE says that they have a firm timeline, indicates to me that they know when she left the house for the last time, whenever that was.

Regarding the computer use and her having logged into her online course.. if she did login, completed some work and left for her run, if she was gone very long at all, the system would have logged her out at some point. I took online classes and if there’s a lengthy period (really not that long actually) of inactivity it will prompt you to keep the session open within so many seconds or it will automatically log you out.. so I’m guessing by the time LE found her laptop she was logged out of whatever she may have been doing. But the last login time would be there.
Also, let’s say she was writing a paper in Word and left the document open, at the bottom right hand side, it has the time of the last auto save which is generally done whenever you stop typing.. that could be a clue.
Just some thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member