Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
For us old people please explain Canvas.
The easiest way to understand it is that it is a computer based platform that is online where students login to their classes. MT was taking a history class if I recall. So, this platform would have the course syllabus, assignments, professor lectures in audio and video formats, videos, link to communicate with professor, possible chat space for students and teaching assistant, reading materials, links to reading materials in the library or maybe outside links as necessary. Students typically have to submit their assignments via this system using the appropriate file format by a certain time and some schools even let students take tests on the system (my school did not allow this). The system would recognize the time the assignment was sent and document that for the professor to make sure the student was on time. So, the system effectively creates a 'hub' where virtually everything you need for your class, including access to professor and fellow students is all in one place and in my experience everything is tracked behind the scenes by the system. In the system I used we had the ability to form study groups within the course link and all kinds of documents, audio and video could be shared and we could do audio and video meetings through the platform. So, if MT was taking a class this summer she no doubt spent a fair amount of time online using the system. Hope this helps.

Yes, this case is being handled very poorly. They are not really interested in the public's help. Which I can understand to a point. When they make a public appeal, they can get thousand of leads, including a lot of bad information, that just wastes their time.
A large reward can waste their time, too, considering the great volume of false leads it brings in - though with a reward, it must be said, it keeps the case in media.

Why didn't her mother think something was off during the evening of July 18? Wasn't MT supposed to eat dinner with her mother and/or pick up the car that night?

I mentioned this earlier. I don’t understand it at all. 1. She didn’t show up for dinner and 2. She didn’t pick up the car
Her mother lives close and didn’t even think to check on her? I live by my parents and we are close, talk frequently. If I told them I was coming over for dinner and didn’t show, they would call me. If I didn’t answer, my dad would be stopping by just to make sure everything was ok. The fact that no one even batted an eye at her being a no show is very strange to me.. was that something she did often? Just not show up when she says she’s going to do something?

Yes, I accidentally activated mine fanning myself with an iphone 7. If you wave the phone like a fan.....a horrible noise like a siren plays and says on the screen 911 is being dispatched to you. You have to speak to someone to stop it.
Btw.. when this happened to me I was in public and totally embarrassed because I had no idea it was a feature on my phone.. I also said if i was kidnapped this would be horrible to actually do because the noise was loud and would tip the perp off I just called 911 vs. a silent alarm. And my phone was on silent at the time.

@wary said:
How do we know she got home safe from jogging?

In my experience here and elsewhere, I find the most difficult and misunderstood concept in computer and mobile forensics is the "digital timestamp." Accordingly, I'm quite confident that the initial idea put forth by LE that Mollie worked on homework late in the evening (i.e., inferring homework after 7:30 pm run) is most likely an incomplete analysis, or misinterpretation of the "digital timestamp." Whereas understanding the Epoch, Unix, UTC, encoding of digital analysis is beyond the scope of this post, it's suffice to say the computational systems that create digital timestamps nearly always differ or drift from real-world time. (And just to make it more complicated, the University server/cloud adds yet another layer of difficulty to establish the timestamp).

I believe Mollie took care of the dogs and worked on homework between 5:30 pm -7:30 pm-ish; left BF house for her run intending to eventually end her jog at Mum's house where she'd enjoy a brat, and collect the car, but met up with danger before she arrived at Mum's place. I think she disappeared in her running clothes, and the red camp t-shirt and contact lenses irrelevant. It's becoming too difficult for me to watch this shattered family endure one more PC, and truly hope this nightmare comes to an end for them very soon.
yes--seems logical to do homework--then relax

I completely agree. I think mom and brothers just assumed she decided not to come for dinner. A lot of reasons for this, maybe they knew she was working on a paper, thought she was talking to boyfriend and lost track of time, fell asleep and took a nap after a busy day. Being a parent of a 20 year old woman is not an easy thing ( ask me how I know) especially the first summer back from college. It is a balance between letting them have their independence while still taking an interest in their safety. Assuming Mollie was taken jogging perhaps it's a good idea to make sure women have the ability to call 911 and quickly when they are out alone. I know that Apple watches have the ability to call 911 fast without entering a pin. Is this something that newer models of a fitbit can also do? If Mollie had had this capability it might have saved her life.
At one time in life, I was a very weight conscience (this hasn’t changed) college girl (this certainly has!) who exercised avidly. And I can tell you that if I was going to be in a bridesbide gown and bikini in the DR in a few weeks, I’d say “no” to the brats! Nothing cancels out a run and ruins a bod like brats. I’m betting the “okay” her mom got was more of an “okay”....(I’ll be passing on that). So I really don’t think the dinner no-show tells us much on time of disappearance.

I don't know if it has been brought up here or not, but I believe part of the reason for LE to keep returning to the pig farm is to see the consistency (or lack of) in the behavior of both the owner but also the animals there.

Pig farms have been used many times in the disposal of bodies falling victim to crimes. Just this last year or so a father was convicted of feeding his young son's corpse to his pigs just outside Kansas City (on the KS side) after abusing him to death. Horrible to even type this but it does happen.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4373748/Kansas-dad-admits-murdering-son-near-pigs.html

Also I am wondering if LE has used a drone to fly over and photograph the property. Does LE have to have a search warrant to do that? In a case in CO LE used a drone to follow cell phone pings to map out where the killers took the body after they killed him.

JMO

Last edited:
I don't get it. If she "typically" collected the car in the evenings....why the heck was no one concerned she didn't show up to get it?? Or that she never responded about the hot dog dinner? I really don't think the family is involved but as a mom, I cannot understand why these non-typical actions didn't raise a red flag sooner...
I think it didn’t raise alarm because their town has been so safe, that the thought of something bad happening to Mollie wasn’t what crossed their minds. They probably thought something like, “Well, I guess she doesn’t need the car, after all. She must have arranged a ride with someone else for the morning, I guess.” It was probably easy to think casually like this when nothing ever bad happens there. We’ve heard how people don’t bother locking their doors.

In my post in Thread #13, I posted about a great read I found online about a person’s experience with exploring the town of Brooklyn, IA. The writer mentions and marveled at the fact of seeing two bikes just sitting unlocked up in front of a bldg, with no apparent need to be concerned of them getting stolen.
IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #13

At one time in life, I was a very weight conscience (this hasn’t changed) college girl (this certainly has!) who exercised avidly. And I can tell you that if I was going to be in a bridesbide gown and bikini in the DR in a few weeks, I’d say “no” to the brats! Nothing cancels out a run and ruins a bod like brats. I’m betting the “okay” her mom got was more of an “okay”....(I’ll be passing on that). So I really don’t think the dinner no-show tells us much on time of disappearance.
agree
my daughter and I get our communication mixed up/confused a lot!

@wary said:
How do we know she got home safe from jogging?

In my experience here and elsewhere, I find the most difficult and misunderstood concept in computer and mobile forensics is the "digital timestamp." Accordingly, I'm quite confident that the initial idea put forth by LE that Mollie worked on homework late in the evening (i.e., inferring homework after 7:30 pm run) is most likely an incomplete analysis, or misinterpretation of the "digital timestamp." Whereas understanding the Epoch, Unix, UTC, encoding of digital analysis is beyond the scope of this post, it's suffice to say the computational systems that create digital timestamps nearly always differ or drift from real-world time. (And just to make it more complicated, the University server/cloud adds yet another layer of difficulty to establish the timestamp).

I believe Mollie took care of the dogs and worked on homework between 5:30 pm -7:30 pm-ish; left BF house for her run intending to eventually end her jog at Mum's house where she'd enjoy a brat, and collect the car, but met up with danger before she arrived at Mum's place. I think she disappeared in her running clothes, and the red camp t-shirt and contact lenses irrelevant. It's becoming too difficult for me to watch this shattered family endure one more PC, and truly hope this nightmare comes to an end for them very soon.

That's certainly the most direct and simple interpretation of what we know.

My starting point with Mollie was to look at points where she was seen running. That information is incomplete, with the last point I'm aware of being the Funeral home. If it was her intention to head North towards her mom's house from that point, one reason why there are no more sightings of Mollie is because she might have been abducted between the funeral home and her mom's house.

..I always have my daughters text when they arrive and leave a destination
..if no text, I start to ''worry'' a little--because the older one forgets to text sometimes
..if I was a female, I'd be ready to dial 911 when approached by anyone--ready for action--not insane/obsessed--just aware
..there is a ''danger'' button on some phones, I thought??

Yes, but the problem is it is hard to jog with a phone in your hand and per Mollie's mom she kept her phone in an arm band, which would be awkward to access quickly enough to get off a 911 alert. I also don't think she got into her abductor's vehicle ( assuming their was one) voluntarily. First, the weather was nice, and the distance from boyfriend's to mom's house is short, so why accept a ride? Also even if she did, once she realized she was in trouble ( assuming she had an iPhone which I think I read somewhere) why not immediately active 911 with a voice command to the phone. " Siri call 911" As soon as she does that the perp is screwed, because they have an active 911 phone coming from Mollie's phone in their car! So why didn't she do this? The most obvious to me is that she was physically overcome and knocked out immediately with absolutely no time to respond. MOO

I mentioned this earlier. I don’t understand it at all. 1. She didn’t show up for dinner and 2. She didn’t pick up the car
Her mother lives close and didn’t even think to check on her? I live by my parents and we are close, talk frequently. If I told them I was coming over for dinner and didn’t show, they would call me. If I didn’t answer, my dad would be stopping by just to make sure everything was ok. The fact that no one even batted an eye at her being a no show is very strange to me.. was that something she did often? Just not show up when she says she’s going to do something?

I think it may not be unusual since she was 20 and staying at a separate albeit nearby home. Twenty is a transition age, for sure. All the same, I am sure any text evidence of whether she was heading there for dinner for sure have been analyzed. Not shared with the media though.

I think it may not be unusual since she was 20 and staying at a separate albeit nearby home. Twenty is a transition age, for sure. All the same, I am sure any text evidence of whether she was heading there for dinner for sure have been analyzed. Not shared with the media though.

True..

I’m in my 30s and my parents still check on me and we keep in close contact so maybe our relationship is just not the norm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper