Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #15

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a tendency on this forum to view a set of circumstances through one’s own filter. As in — no way would I be concerned about spotting an unknown vehicle in my neighborhood late at night. However, in a town so very tiny, that is a significant anomaly. I live in a far larger small town, and you better believe we are noting unknown vehicles on our dead end road. In fact, we have been known to grab binoculars, weapons, or call the sheriff — in no particular order!

In order to be helpful sleuths, we simply have to get into the mindset and life experience of the community in question. Of course, it’s also valuable to view circumstances from a different mindset. The locals have been especially helpful, and I’ve learned a bit about corn crops. Hugs to everyone close to this, and respect to all helping to solve.

Hi! I’m new, but I have been here in the forum on and off when big cases arise. You guys have a great thing going here!!!!

A few thoughts....IMO the “black SUV”, seeing as how it is so vague and the information came out relatively delayed, seems like a neighbor wanting her few minutes in the spotlight. But of course I could be wrong.

Also, I haven’t seen anyone mention the idea that someone other than Mollie could have returned to her house and gotten on her computer? The dogs could have been left in the basement, and it was known that she did not lock the doors, right? Just a thought. That could have given the appearance she was at home and on her computer when she really wasn’t, to throw off the timeline.

Also the red shirt bothers me. It seems planted. Is it possible she planted it herself? That, or whoever could have entered her house later at night and gotten on her computer could have grabbed the shirt...although the only benefit to a red herring IMO would be if she herself planted it to help her run away for some reason. Or maybe it was a plan to run away with someone and it went wrong. Just thoughts. She shouldn’t have been wearing that shirt. However if she was wearing it, I suppose she could have thrown it off on purpose to leave a sign that she was abducted, that is the only other thing I can think of. Although the neighbor supposedly did not see her wearing a red shirt.

My final thought was when the story initially broke, the news mentioned that her fitbit was an older model that may not give enough information as to her route. But I tried to find the link, and could not. It seems like now they are saying it did give them some GPS information, so that’s good.

Are their purchases regulated at all? Could LE know who has one? Understand of course some weapons may start out trackable and then slip to the dark side. I am not sure how stun guns work?
Ive researched stun guns years ago. I bought one and had two teens think it was funny when zapping each other sooooo. Wouldn't do a thing. Ive researched videos where a large guy was zapped with the strongest one available at the time and it didn't really faze him. The police are the only ones that can be issued one that will put you on the ground. Unless they have changed that in the last couple of years, I think that they give a false sense of security and can be dangerous for a person to think they will deter an attack. Again unless in the last couple years that has changed with them selling to citizens ones as strong as the police get issued.

I want to believe Sharon is right... but my head tells me you are on point.
imo, mollie voluntarily disappearing is low on my possibility list at this point. however, with the little we have to work with, i just cant rule anything out.

the only way i see the voluntary disappearance as a possibility is if she is with someone who is supporting her. and he/she (the former would prob be someone romantically into her and the latter a true BFF, i cant see other types of relationships doing this for someone). but anyway, he/she has driven her out of town, is the one going outside to purchase groceries, mollie is using their phone/computer as a way to check in w the world etc.

just a thought - if LE suspected this, at a certain point does being held captive or voluntarily living under someone's protection become a blurred line? re LE thinking shes staying bc shes brainwashed or this person legally shouldnt be covering for her anyway/give her the option of hiding....confusing to think about & hard apply concise labels to some relationships & situational dynamics in life sometimes.

I just don’t see this being likely. How would they have communicated in a way that would not be easily traceable by LE?
Using throwaway cell phones maybe? Don't these lack SIM cards and/or can't be traced? Unsure, just an idea on other means of communication, not leaning at all towards Mollie voluntarily going missing, but it's a more hopeful scenario in terms of her still being alive vs. abduction.

Also, I haven’t seen anyone mention the idea that someone other than Mollie could have returned to her house and gotten on her computer? The dogs could have been left in the basement, and it was known that she did not lock the doors, right? Just a thought. That could have given the appearance she was at home and on her computer when she really wasn’t, to throw off the timeline.
Hi and welcome! Regarding the part of your post I snipped above, this was discussed pretty extensively awhile back and accompanied by pages of discussion about login information, the number and security levels of logins necessary, and so forth. Not to mention the probability of such a thing happening... Just FYI, as things to consider with that theory.

Personally, I think in either case (on the jog or after returning home) that it’s someone she knew. Seems like more than a coincidence that all of her housemates were away. Not suggesting housemates had anything to do with it, but I believe whoever took her knew she was home alone.
With only the information that we know today, that's my best guess as well. I'm thinking that she was abducted either during or just after her run (based on cell phone, Fitbit, jogging clothes, and earbuds missing), and by someone who knew 1) that her boyfriend had left town and his brother and fiancée were also out of town, and/or 2) her jogging routes and the time of day that she preferred to run. Barring further information that leads in a different direction, IMHO, it will be someone known by Mollie, perhaps not particularly close. And someone that no one currently suspects. All IMHO.

@oceanblueeyes

Hi OBE! I see you lurking!!! What are your thoughts here?? Do you think a random abduction is likely? I do!

Hi there. I have missed you.

Its possible like everything else, but with a community so rural, I tend to doubt it is a total stranger without any connection to the area. They would have to be awfully lucky for no one in the town to see them at anytime nor notice them or their vehicle at all. And in small communities strangers stick out like sore thumbs.

As I posted last night in the prior thread, I think the suspect is from the general area, and may be someone Mollie knew even if slightly. He could be just a familiar friendly face she sees often when she is out and about. I also believe they may have known beforehand the three would be out of town that week, and Mollie would be there alone. Talk travels in small towns even if her boyfriend or other construction workers were idly chit chatting about it at a store in town and it was overheard. Or someone who already knew everyone in the home was going out of town but Mollie was staying there.

I find it highly significant that she was taken at the very time she was staying alone in the home pet sitting for her boyfriend. I don't think that is a coincidence, nor mere lucky timing for the abductor.

I am glad they have cleared the person in the black SUV. I have seen that on every MSM news channel today as if it could be the break they needed. I wish it had panned out, but at least now maybe all of the MSM will set the record straight so the person isn't hounded by the media since it has no connection to Mollie's case. It does show that people in the community are observant though.

So while I believe the abductor lives in the general area possibly right among those who are grieving for Mollie ...what really matters in this end is no matter who they are..I pray they are exposed for the vile evil human being they truly are, and that Mollie is found and returned to the countless people who love her. May justice come soon.

Hi and welcome! Regarding the part of your post I snipped above, this was discussed pretty extensively awhile back and accompanied by pages of discussion about login information, the number and security levels of logins necessary, and so forth. Not to mention the probability of such a thing happening... Just FYI, as things to consider with that theory.

Oh okay my apologizies! I did read quite a bit of the threads, but not every single post. I must have missed earlier discussions. Thanks!

RSBM and O/T, but what type are they? I was just looking the other day at some but have held off for now pending further research & budgeting...

This is the brand I ended up getting below. I have noticed other brands do similar things these days. I am happy with mine. No monthly fee really surprised me.

Wondering if they will be forced to charge a monthly fee in the future because so many people seem to be getting them these days.

Weatherproof Outdoor Security Camera, Blink XT

FOR WHAT EVER motivation le has to not share info, it’s the cards they are playing.

I also understand, with as many personnel on the case there is a collective scrutiny and as a result very good reasons for doing so.

It very well may have related victims in other disappearances. The FBI maintains a site for unsolved disappearances posted here in previous threads. I’ll find it again. There’s a map.

Highway Serial Killings Initiative
This reminds of the MAP project here on WS...looking for link...maybe we can search data here..

Welcome to The Murder Accountability Project!

If someone else logged in, LE surely would have dusted the laptop for fingerprints? From the daily mail article, Mom checked the browsing history from what I understand and discovered the login to the UofI student account from this computer. I wonder if she saved her password/login - if so, anyone could have logged in to create that browsing history and make it seem like she was home (if she was not).

Oh okay my apologizies! I did read quite a bit of the threads, but not every single post. I must have missed earlier discussions. Thanks!
No apology needed. Just wanted to mention some of the things everyone deemed worthy of extended discussion so you could consider them as you ponder that scenario.

Not where I live they are not and they are easily ordered online. I have several since I hate using a gun and I travel the roads (especially interstates) constantly.
I can carry and have before, I just don't ever want to have to make that decision.

ONLINE - now, good grief - what would be required to require a warrant for some place like Amazon to provide all stun guns delivered to Powesiek County. Something tells me it would take someone AT Amazon just doing it. Never thought if their TOS included or warrant - person by person?

There is a house next door that appears to be close

That house next door just across that gravel road (170) faces Dalton's house!

I feel I could and even more so if I could pick the time, like night. could be a few states away before even noticed gone. not having contacts or glasses...who keeps count of a adults contacts and glasses. no one knows how much or little cash I have at any given time or how long I have had it.

she could be gone by choice, she could have started out gone by choice, she could be gone completely not by choice.

Maybe a few days. Not for 3 weeks with the FBI looking for you.

Is it normal in cases such as these that the SM sites remain public. I thought they are usually set to private.
Someone has to change the setting to private, or LE can take it down. I remember Teri Horman kept her FB public and was online the day Kyron disappeared according to her posts. I suspect LE wants to keep them open and available for some reason.

Regarding the voluntary disappearance theory, when MT first went missing, my thoughts were immediately towards Iowa City and the University. Has there been any mention of MT having friends or contacts from school and LE investigating them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elenabarlow