Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #15

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a post at least a couple threads ago that I thought had some good ideas and I forget who posted it. But the person had mentioned rural mail carriers (or people like mail carriers in general) knowing the ins and outs of who lives where, who is gone, who normally has cars at home, etc. I think this is an interesting line of thought to consider. We have seen it happen before with a delivery person who came back to their route to attack.

If it's not someone MT knew well, I could see this being a really good possibility, even more so than a totally random outsider. Someone who is in the community or maybe lives in a nearby community but has regular business here. Someone like a delivery person or mail person (note, I am NOT accusing MT's mail person!) that would notice the comings and goings of residents, when cars that are normally at home are not, that kind of thing. Someone who may have seen Mollie when they were doing whatever their business is but may have never even spoken to her or just in passing "hi" kind of a thing. I am assuming LE has already questioned folks like the regular mail person, delivery drivers, etc that would have a reason to frequent the BF's house and her running route, but just a thought.

That is an absolutely excellent idea.

Couple years past I had the rural mail carrier from hell. He would scream and swear and yell at people. He would throw packages at houses, never getting his big rear out of the Jeep. He scared my daughter (25) once screaming and yelling so loudly she was going to call the police. He was swearing at me, and I was using a walker after surgery. Every day was anger and screaming and profanity.

When we went to complaint the Post Master it was obvious she too was scared of this explosive weird guy.

Someone like that could explode...

just a thought - if LE suspected this, at a certain point does being held captive or voluntarily living under someone's protection become a blurred line? re LE thinking shes staying bc shes brainwashed or this person legally shouldnt be covering for her anyway/give her the option of hiding....confusing to think about & hard apply concise labels to some relationships & situational dynamics in life sometimes.

i imagine it definitely can...you could voluntarily go with someone that then becomes involuntary if they don't let you leave. And then the reverse of that is the situation of Stockholm Syndrome and also Patty Hearst where it is initially involuntary but then becomes voluntary due to brainwashing and/or the need to survive.

i do not believe Mollie is missing voluntarily, but if she is i completely doubt LE knows or suspects it. If someone is perfectly fine, not being held, la di da-ing out somewhere because they need some chill time and you know or suspect that, you do not bring in the FBI and even take agents off other cases. It just doesn't happen.

I'm wondering why they don't take some of the reward money and pay the farmers to let them cut down the corn?

I think maybe because the nation and the locals need the actual corn, for food and for animal feed, etc. And there is not enough evidence that she is actually there in the fields.

Could they fly drones with cams to check out the corn fields?

Maybe we should look up crime maps for Dubuque, Des Moines etc for the dates at hand. He might have attempted an earlier unsuccessful abduction, or perhaps been on a spree.

I think maybe because the nation and the locals need the actual corn, for food and for animal feed, etc. And there is not enough evidence that she is actually there in the fields.

Katy, re: drones in the cornfields, I was wondering about this as well. I’ve noticed lately that these search drones are becoming more and more common in these investigations, practically standard like thermal detection copters, and suspect this has been/is being done, should a certain area of cornfield be deemed potentially search worthy, especially with FBI being on the case.

Regarding the voluntary disappearance theory, when MT first went missing, my thoughts were immediately towards Iowa City and the University. Has there been any mention of MT having friends or contacts from school and LE investigating them?
I wonder about that as well... even assuming she did leave voluntarily it wouldn’t be unheard of for a 20 year old to leave for the night intending to return early the next morning. Still, LE’s approach to locating her would be the same.

Thank you for the kind words, I definitely needed them today! So many of the cases I follow haven’t been solved in months/years, and in many instances the body hasn’t even been found. Every time I revisit one of those threads and there is nothing new, I think about deleting the bookmark on my browser. But I don’t. These people cannot have us give up on them.
Thank you for your post, I agree one of the most horrible aspects of people going missing with no trace is how very many young women (and other ages & genders) go missing in the US all the time, and their bodies sadly are never found.

I wish for a time in the future when there's technology available to do a 'low fly-over" of an area that detects human remains. There's geophysical technology to detect buried metal like drums, rubble, etc. I hope something like that may be in development for identifying buried bodies/skeletal remains or decomposition, though this hope is probably pretty pie-in-the-sky.

Just a thought that I wish there could be an easier way to track down human remains besides someone stumbling upon them months or years later. So terrible for the deceased's loved ones to not know where they are, even if they never discover what happened.

(Thank goooodness, you had me in a panic there for a minute!! LOL)

(ETA-I’d be quite embarrassed if she knew how many hours I’ve spent staring at her photos :( )
Now I want to go check her out and stare at her photo but don't have a name! :p

I can't believe we're on to thread 15 already, and we basically have nothing. The only changes from day 1 is that WC has been interrogated twice and refused a polygraph, but that could be nothing. For all we know he could be a witness. Or they found some evidence in a ditch on his property that could have been thrown by anyone and they're grasping at straws with him. Just like the land owner in the Delphi case.
(It is potentially RLish, same thought crossed my mind.)

It sounds like to me though they are taking a very serious look at him, moo.

I think they have used drones but cannot see below the top of the corn. If you go to google earth and look you will get perspective more on the miles and miles of corn. It is overwhelming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sanmails