Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would you report that her cell phone was turned off? We have no idea that's the case. It was 12 hours later that she didn't respond texts. Also, she could have easily had another pair of contacts that mom/boyfriend doesn't know about.
I said maybe it was dead or turned off. I can go back and look for the quotes from DJ where he says the phone went straight to v/m. Also, I reported what was said in the Heavy.com article by DJ’s mom about the contacts. It wasn’t my theory, it was her report.

1) LE would know if her phone was on, if fitbit stopped communicating and where it had been.
if she regularly used the earbuds while jogging then it makes sense they would go with the phone.
2) I haven't seen any public statements by bf, family, roommates if the circumstances with the dogs was normal or unusual.
If they often were kept in the basement like that, it would not be strange. If they never were kept in the basement like that, then that is a clue.
3) She may have been wearing contacts. leaving glasses and contacts behind doesn't seem to indicate anything.
4) Leaving wallet / ID doesn't make sense if she planned on driving as the endpoint to the jog. Although, again, those close to her would know if leaving that behind is normal or not. If it's not normal then it would indicate to me that she was home.
5) Where is the fact about the phone being off or dead come from?

re #4... mom's house where the car was, is I believe only 1 mile from boyfriend's house. I actually can imagine leaving my ID and wallet even if driving the car home for a ride that's only a mile long, on a rural road. my mailbox is 1/2-3/4 of a mile from my home and I can tell you I have jumped in my car and driven there without anything but the key.

I think the answer is that he can't get away with it 100% but the punishment for returning a person unharmed or even just alive is going to be A LOT less than the punishment for kidnapping and murder. Either way, I feel he'll be caught so it's in his best interest to return her alive.
Agree. Negotiated surrender with LE. Or maybe call the crimestoppers tip line and start a dialog. Or, just show up at the Sheriff office ASAP. Or, drop MT off at some unknown location with access to a phone. Or, call an attorney and have them negotiate on your behalf. There are many many options. The longer this goes on the worse the situation gets for all involved.

IMO, today has been the first day (after her father's comments) that it seems like it is starting to become clear to what someone close to the investigation is thinking. I know if I were in her parents shoes, I would grow increasingly frustrated with LE. And the cancellation of the PC could have been a tipping point to the dad, and he decided to let something slip.

The getting to know Mollie, the who was in Brooklyn that night that was out of the ordinary - those are the only things LE has basically given us. The tend to fall in line with my theory that someone she knew was driving through town, and she ran outside to say hey (maybe that is why she didnt head over to her moms). If this person had ill-intention, you can prevent someone from getting out by simply putting the child lock on. The family has to know things that we dont, and they have been able to appeal to those close with them to help get the reward amount high. This person had feelings for her, so that is why the comments have been made that they think she is still alive (they dont have it in them to kill her - thank God and hopefully still).

But that wouldn't explain the missing items she typically takes when she jobs. (Then again, have the armband and earphones actually been verified as missing?)

MT’s boyfriend said in an interview that he tried calling her phone everyday for like a week and it was just going to voicemail.
If the call goes straight to voicemail it’s typically turned off/dead.
Well technically it will go straight to voicemail if you decline the call as soon as it comes in but you would have to literally be holding the phone to decline it that fast.

Re: the dogs- I read the dogs seemed normal and nothing was out of the ordinary with them.

ETA - both of these topics have been discussed and links were posted but I don’t have them handy but hopefully that info helps.

But he didn't start calling until the next day. There is no indication that the phone was dead at 7:30 the night before. She had just texted with her mom.

I've thought for a while now that Mollie left voluntarily with someone she knew and trusted and that at some point it turned out bad. Perhaps the person had other ideas. I have felt like her dad has also felt this for awhile due to his comments, like "just come home, be okay."
I felt this comment he made on a Today show video made it sound like they had a better idea of what went down than they are sharing with the public.
He said, " we sorta know what general timeline, we sorta know where it took place, we know what has happened, there is no why, it makes no sense."
Here's that video interview where he made the comment above.
Twitter

Agree. Thinking she willingly went with someone for a short ride, not knowing what was about to come.

I said maybe it was dead or turned off. I can go back and look for the quotes from DJ where he says the phone went straight to v/m. Also, I reported what was said in the Heavy.com article by DJ’s mom about the contacts. It wasn’t my theory, it was her report.

Right, I know it was her report..re the contacts, and of course we can all have our theories. My theory is that she had a set of contacts that DJ's mom didn't know about. My daughter wears contacts and she buys them in bulk a six month supply at a time. Mollie could have simply been wearing a new pair but DJ only saw the used pair she hadn't thrown away yet.

It certainly has crossed my mind that someone took her that had the belief she wanted to be with him too. I've had experiences where men get the wrong impression of our friendship. I don't think we should rule this out. Once Mollie made headlines her friend might not have know what to do and still doesn't. Mollie might be tied up or in a basement she can't get out of because this guy that has her is so scared of the outcome. Each passing day would be worse for him. He might finally snap and just let her go tho, but she knows who he is. (this is just a scenario, no evidence afaik).

1) LE would know if her phone was on, if fitbit stopped communicating and where it had been.
if she regularly used the earbuds while jogging then it makes sense they would go with the phone.
2) I haven't seen any public statements by bf, family, roommates if the circumstances with the dogs was normal or unusual.
If they often were kept in the basement like that, it would not be strange. If they never were kept in the basement like that, then that is a clue.
3) She may have been wearing contacts. leaving glasses and contacts behind doesn't seem to indicate anything.
4) Leaving wallet / ID doesn't make sense if she planned on driving as the endpoint to the jog. Although, again, those close to her would know if leaving that behind is normal or not. If it's not normal then it would indicate to me that she was home.
5) Where is the fact about the phone being off or dead come from?

I didn't think he looked angry at all, only trying to be stoic in a very difficult situation.

TR, I completely agree. Watching DJ throughout the press conference, I got the strong impression he was making a very concerted effort to maintain a poker face throughout the entire thing. I'm pretty confident LE coached both DJ and MT's parents not to show any visible reaction to any of the questions by reporters. I feel truly awful for him. IMO, DJ's being very brave and comporting himself well in what are nightmarish circumstances.

In response to posts of her picking the car up after her jog, I’m can’t see why Mollie would be dropped off by her brother (and their shared car) at 5:30 only to be considering going to her mom’s to get the car a few hours later.
Also in response to her leaving voluntarily (as in she planned it) then would she have left the dogs and her responsibilities to care for them? Leaving voluntarily is a possibility if it means she accepted a ride and then ended up in trouble. Best case is this and someone has her still and will let her go. IMOO

MT’s boyfriend said in an interview that he tried calling her phone everyday for like a week and it was just going to voicemail.
If the call goes straight to voicemail it’s typically turned off/dead.
Well technically it will go straight to voicemail if you decline the call as soon as it comes in but you would have to literally be holding the phone to decline it that fast.

Re: the dogs- I read the dogs seemed normal and nothing was out of the ordinary with them.

ETA - both of these topics have been discussed and links were posted but I don’t have them handy but hopefully that info helps.
Thanks, but LE would know when the phone was last actually on. Obviously at some point it seemed to have been turned off, when dead or was destroyed. It would be important to know exactly when the phone stopped working and when the last phone activity took place. Surely LE knows that. We can't assume that she left the house with a dead phone because the bf's calls went to VM the next day or week for that matter.

Could be someone she knows from college.

I have wondered why we have a college gal and Grinnell, also a college town and where the Medical Complex she habitually worked at this time during the summer, and her school University of Iowa have barely been mentioned? When I head out on HWY 6 or Historic 6 in the direction of Grinnell it just looks so very very picturesque.

Schools like ODU in VA and ECU in NC are schools where many locals go. They are commuter schools. How about Brooklyn or its nearby neighboring Mollie is not a freshman. She is a Sophomore, almost Junior right? So her network would be wider than a Freshman would be, wouldn't it

Trying to decide if I stay put at Dalton's house or on one of the streets of Brooklyn because of Mollie's habits or

Could it be because Mr. Winker mentioned during the first PC about "people in Brooklyn the evening of July 18th"? And my brain keep telling - in a town so tiny, there are so many places to be in Brooklyn on that Wednesday night. And police have had enough time now to look over all the videos for the window 5:30 PM to 10 AM the next day.

I haven't thought "Who might have followed her brother and her home from Grinnell on Wednesday from the direction of Grinnell. That was where she was coming from to get to Dalton's around 5:30 PM on Wednesday right?

But he didn't start calling until the next day. There is no indication that the phone was dead at 7:30 the night before. She had just texted with her mom.
LE has not confirmed when MT actually fell off the digital grid (phone off), but we know she did not reply to brothers early am text 7/19, or any calls. I believe her communication disabled/off beginning about 10pm on 7/18. MOO

if you wanted to leave and be able to deny who you were you sure would not want a id on you that said exactly who you were.

she could have been taken, just as easily though she could have walked off. not enough public info to really know.

Wow! Welcome here! Great, intelligent post.

I really don't think they would harass an innocent person to make a perp comfortable. That being said, they are almost always exploring multiple avenues at the same time and allowing that info to be public could help make a suspect feel more comfortable.

I don't see any similarites. Do you? I men she wrote an email saying she was going on vacation. She was found on the side of the road acting weird. There have been zero signs that Mollie was having difficulty.

I definitely entertained that possibility at first but as time went by with no evidence that she left on her own, that became a slimmer possibility, especially considering the heavy FBI involvement.

It's the area where they took dogs. I don't know what kind.

No. He will be charged with kidnapping or false imprisonment if he releases her. But voluntarily releasing her definitely could help with sentencing. .

Gitana,
Especially if the perp has a slight mental disorder? I know a man who believed his hairdresser wanted to be with him. She didn't at all, but they were on a friendly basis. The guy was a little off, but nice. Turns out he was schizophrenic and delusioned they were in a relationship. More to the story, but he is on meds now and it is helping.

More thoughts about the sudden increase in the reward since last week, over a quarter of million dollars raised! Something has come to light to justify that, imo. I also think that the plea is for a third person that probably knows what's going on to come forth. That person may be the one in over their head.

It certainly has crossed my mind that someone took her that had the belief she wanted to be with him too. I've had experiences where men get the wrong impression of our friendship. I don't think we should rule this out. Once Mollie made headlines her friend might not have know what to do and still doesn't. Mollie might be tied up or in a basement she can't get out of because this guy that has her is so scared of the outcome. Each passing day would be worse for him. He might finally snap and just let her go tho, but she knows who he is. (this is just a scenario, no evidence afaik).

Excellent point. Professionally I have seen this. The Dooby Bros put it into a song: What a Fool Believes.

BBM
Jack said that early on in the search for Tibbetts, he kept calling her missing phone, hoping anyone would pick up.

"I did for like the first week and a half. Not more recently. I was just trying to see literally if anybody would pick up. And then, yeah, straight to voicemail," he said.

Mollie Tibbetts' boyfriend, brothers, father urge witnesses to 'come forward' in exclusive interviews

I agree. I think it’s possible that she agreed to get dinner with someone but this guy thought it was going to be a date and she saw it as a friend thing. Didn’t one of her brothers also say something along the lines of “she’ll do what she needs to do to survive”? All this talk of her getting in the car with someone she knows and it turning south (but him keeping her alive) made me think about that again.

As always JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member