Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this a typo? Has this been posted already?

“Mollie Tibbetts was reported missing to the Poweshiek County SO, in Montezuma on Jul 18, 2018”

Missing Persons
I think there was some discussion about the date* being “last seen,” but this is the first time I’ve seen it as being reported missing as of that date...again, might be semantics/typo?

I am really surprised at everyone thinking the case is going cold... IMO they have a suspect but it is an extremely delicate rescue operation. They are potentially waiting for this guy to leave his house so they can make an arrest without harming Mollie. I wouldn't compare this situation to Delphi because IMO and according to her father, Mollie was likely taken by someone she knew which would make it easier to solve. Maybe a mentally unstable acquaintance asked if she could help and hang out, she obliged, got in his car, and was held captive at his house. I get the sense that this is a very strange case.
If indeed she communicated with a person on social media before she was picked up (if she was picked up), then they may know the identity of the person. I agree they may have a good idea whom it is, and may be attempting to locate them. JMO

If someone who was an acquaintance wanted to be more but was rebuffed, or had been trying to warm up to her but was rejected, she would have told someone, confided to a close friend or her mom or her BF. Hard for me to think someone who knew her was that obsessed yet never sent an email, text or a card or something on IG of FB. They would have left electronic crumbs if that were the case and LE would have a name. They would not be appealing for a name.

Montezuma? It’s a town south of Brooklyn.[/QUOTE

Okay....wasn’t even focused on town, just on date (18 vs 19)...now this Montezuma business I’m thinking must be a typo? I’m telling myself that so my mind doesn’t start wandering. Sorry for the glaring oversight on my part!

As usual, I default to my usual optimistic (albeit naive) outlook and have decided the press conference delay means they're about to crack this case wide open.
NewMama, part of me thinks the same.

And this...so what happened between that PC last week with CS and the family where they looked so solemn (like they may have received bad news) and today? Today the PC was cancelled until Friday and Mollie's father came out with this new statement...could it be to possibly not tip their hand? Just something else to think about.

Montezuma? It’s a town south of Brooklyn.

Sorry - replying on phone and things are getting all sorts of messed up.
Okay....wasn’t even focused on town, just on date (18 vs 19)...now this Montezuma business I’m thinking must be a typo? I’m telling myself that so my mind doesn’t start wandering. Sorry for the glaring oversight on my part!

As usual, I default to my usual optimistic (albeit naive) outlook and have decided the press conference delay means they're about to crack this case wide open.
I must have missed something. Press conference delay?

Not to be a broken record..,but how does searching fields, ponds etc and spending time with WC equate to LE has a POI and knows Mollie is being held? Actions are better judges, imo, to tell,what they may know or not know. Just for the record, I doubt WC is guilty of any role.

Case followers often get to the point where they believe nothing is happening when information is not released and because they can't personally see what's going on an assumption forms that nothing is happening, but that's not the situation within the first year of a missing person's case. The work is being done behind the scenes, and the professionals are running down leads and gathering as much information as they can and they update their files and records constantly. Often it will be someone who stumbles across remains while out and about doing whatever and that's how a body is found.

For an example of this, go back in time and look at the Chanda Levy case. Her remains weren't found for a long time, but there were still people working the case.

" ...If Mollie is still alive at this point, she is in a relatively low risk situation, ...

TPeeFitz - I hope you won't mind me snipping your post - How do you get there?

Here is my thinking - If Mollie was put someplace without any consideration of her well-being, so someone could have time to distance himself from IOWA, she may now be without food or water for a critical time. If she was left outside, in only a sports bra and pair of running shorts all of the environmental elements may be a struggle.
I know many folks in that region enjoy camping but I don't know exactly how much Mollie might know about survival methods if lost outside or being restrained outside.

If she was taken during or after her run, she might not be as hydrated as if it happened at a different time.

Last year I had to have emergency surgery long story irrelevant for the most part, my surgeon said I would have died in about 2 hours time because I had been unable to eat or drink anything from May 1 until the surgery May 19th. I could have lasted a longer time when it came to food but the water part was something I now understand much better. Just one of the reasons her continued disappearance has bothered me so.

If she was taken by someone and is alive, which I truly hope and pray is the case, mightn't her captor be getting more stressed and therefore more dangerous as each hour passes?

It almost seemed as though you would have to start and stop with the inclusion if alive, she is with an accomplice to conclude 'low risk'.

Help me better understand your thinking and how you got there.

But who would choose to leave this way when it would hurt so many people? Just to avoid a proposal. This seems so crazy to me. She could have just moved to Cali with her dad, with no explanation owed to boyfriend. Why go to such lengths? To me the only thing that could make a person decide to do it this way, would be incredible trouble coming up (ie, she murdered or raped or kidnapped someone and was going to be caught or stole a massive amount of money or got caught up in something too shameful to face), not an impending proposal.

There actually was a missing case here, a few years ago, with that type of scenario. The missing woman's desperate boyfriend became a member here. With guidance from members he created missing fliers and posted them wherever he could. He logged in and posted for hours on end trying to get advice on how to find her. I don't recall the name of the missing woman or all the details. Weeks went by and she showed up at a police station. She didn't want anything to do with the boyfriend anymore and wanted to be left alone. The boyfriend was devastated.

The second scenario you propose, does not apply to Mollie, but we had a case here with those circumstances. Michelle Roode Boyd in our located section. She was missing for 16 months after leaving her car abandoned. Many members accused her husband. She was found alive.

Found Safe - TX - Michele Roode Boyd, 41, San Antonio, 24 Nov 2016 *Arrest*

I must have missed something. Press conference delay?
One was originally scheduled for tomorrow morning but they announced they were postponing it until Friday.

If someone who was an acquaintance wanted to be more but was rebuffed, or had been trying to warm up to her but was rejected, she would have told someone, confided to a close friend or her mom or her BF. Hard for me to think someone who knew her was that obsessed yet never sent an email, text or a card or something on IG of FB. They would have left electronic crumbs if that were the case and LE would have a name. They would not be appealing for a name.
Unless the dude was older and knew he didn’t realistically have a shot so he waited until the opportunity was right. It’s easy to play the guessing game without any factual evidence.

Also WC's property seems like it is just far enough outside town to stop a vehicle and destroy a phone or fitbit to stop the trace.
Agreed, and maybe even that it was near hog farm(s) made it a good spot that would mislead / throw LE off their trail, since there have been bodies 'disposed of" where hogs are that would destroy the evidence. This possibility also could apply to the scenario where she went off with someone willingly or initially voluntarily - ditch the phone & fitbit or turn it off permanently outside of town, and leave no trail after that for awhile.

I wonder if LE ever traced the person who set up the fake MT fb page that said in capital letters something like stop blowing things out of proportion, I just needed some time away.

Not to be a broken record..,but how does searching fields, ponds etc and spending time with WC equate to LE has a POI and knows Mollie is being held? Actions are better judges, imo, to tell,what they may know or not know. Just for the record, I doubt WC is guilty of any role.

Agree. LE is looking for a body. Their actions demonstrate the belief, based on the amount of time that's passed, along with the info they've developed, and having a lot of experience (FBI assisting) in these kinds of cases, they know most of the time it will be recovery of remains.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KatWal