Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #16

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Although I'm one of the few that leans towards the thought that she may be alive after dad's statements, I still have lingering questions, as some of what he is quoted as saying doesn't make sense. Humor me, and let's say we're putting stock into his interviews. Can we logically answer the following?
  • Should we assume that the person who is with Mollie would also be missing? "I think they're in a place with Mollie and don't know how to get themselves out of this horrible situation...." So if said person is acquainted with Mollie, and is also missing, wouldn't that be super easy to nail down by now?
  • If she went willingly, and this person isn't missing, are we to assume she is safely stowed away somewhere while he/she goes about their life and they come back to Mollie at the end of the day?
  • If she didn't go willingly, dad has implied that this is a person who she trusted/cares about/they care about her...so again, through process of elimination, wouldn't this be figured out? I find it hard to believe she got really close to someone who literally know one else in her inner circle knows about...
My thinking always used to be that after the first 12 hours, if they weren't found then they were most likely deceased. After the Duggard girl was found years later and the girls that Castro had, I began to change my mind. What really threw me for a loop was Kibby. A random abduction, on a busy street, people all around, middle of the afternoon, he lived in a trailer park in close proximity to other people and went to work every day, even got arrested for drug possession and had friends over and AH was right there. So I do believe Mollie could be alive and captive somewhere and I just pray she hangs in there until she can be found.

Kapua,
I'm with you in regards to WC. I'm playing devil's advocate here for just one second and asking this: Who's to say WC doesn't have more than one phone? It's no uncommon for some to have more than one phone. Is that something LE could verify? It could be a phone obtained through other sources. I'm not a IT person and no clue how pings, cell phone towers, etc. work other than the basics. Again, just throwing it out there and thinking outside the box. Probably not that case and I hold the same thoughts as you in regards to WC.
I know people who have more than one phone. Those people have one business phone and one personal phone. I'm not seeing it in this case.

Then there is Nathaniel Kibby who kidnapped his victim and released her, near her home, after 9 months.

Nathaniel Kibby wanted to testify before taking plea deal in teen kidnapping, torture case - The Boston Globe
I just said the same thing. I remember when she walked back into her home and we heard about it and were gobsmacked. That's why we just don't know how long someone planned this situation. Kibby had planned this for years and when he was ready went hunting for his victim. Too often we think of someone who sees someone and makes a snap decision to grab them. That's not what happens, it's been planned, sometimes for years, and when they have everything ready then they grab someone. Which is why, even if someone points a gun at you, you don't get into the vehicle. It's called a secondary location and you fight going there.

Interesting new developments. If Dad's plea was sanctioned by LE, it puts a whole new spin on this case. Their silence in view of a kidnapping, makes sense. They wouldn't want that person to panic and harm Mollie. Silence would protect her. I'm not sure now that anything in this case is as I thought it was.

Well I guess that silence would be gone now since Dad said something. I think he’s being optimistic.

For those that think she is no longer with us, how do you take the dad's recent comments? Over the weekend I was thinking she was gone, mostly because of the increased interest in WC and the farm but the dad's comments have me thinking otherwise. The dad seems to be saying things really carefully, almost like he's sending a direct message to someone who may be involved
Unfortunately, I think the dad is trying to justify in his mind any scenario where Mollie is still alive but hasn't contacted anyone for all of this time. This sort of stress makes people do things and think things they rationally wouldn't. I don't blame him at all, though. If I were in his position, I'd also look for any way that my daughter could be alive and return to us as well.

While it's certainly possible, I don't think it's going to be the likely outcome here.

Jealoushe,
Thanks for the reply. Very dangerous. I'm not in the LE or psychological field. Just wondering if that would come into play.

Here are some of his charges:

August 12, 2009, Harassment 1st degree (aggravated), Poweshiek, Iowa

December 28, 2009, Burglary 3rd degree, Class D felony, Poweshiek, Iowa

March 16, 2010, Harassment by personal contact, Poweshiek, Iowa

July 1, 2010, Violation of No Contact Order, Poweshiek Iowa

February 7, 2011, Violation of PO/No contact, Jasper, Iowa

January 3, 2014 Stalking, 1st offense (Aggravated), Marion, Iowa

May 3, 2015 Harassment 3rd degree, Iowa, Iowa

Marion County Sheriff's Report
Sorry if this has been discussed but what qualifies as "aggravated" stalking?

My thinking always used to be that after the first 12 hours, if they weren't found then they were most likely deceased. After the Duggard girl was found years later and the girls that Castro had, I began to change my mind. What really threw me for a loop was Kibby. A random abduction, on a busy street, people all around, middle of the afternoon, he lived in a trailer park in close proximity to other people and went to work every day, even got arrested for drug possession and had friends over and AH was right there. So I do believe Mollie could be alive and captive somewhere and I just pray she hangs in there until she can be found.
These cases give us a sliver of hope. I wish all of the missing were kept alive and able to return to their loved ones at some point. Elizabeth Smart and Jaycee Dugard are doing well now.

Kapua,
I'm with you in regards to WC. I'm playing devil's advocate here for just one second and asking this: Who's to say WC doesn't have more than one phone? It's no uncommon for some to have more than one phone. Is that something LE could verify? It could be a phone obtained through other sources. I'm not a IT person and no clue how pings, cell phone towers, etc. work other than the basics. Again, just throwing it out there and thinking outside the box. Probably not that case and I hold the same thoughts as you in regards to WC.
I would think if you were an evil person doing bad things, you would have a burner phone or two. You can get them at walmart, 7-11, etc. I do wonder if even burner phones will ping off of cell towers - I don't understand that technology but I would think the phone still has to register somewhere to make calls and text messages?

I think the theory is that she left willingly with someone she knows but now is being held from returning against her will.

.....rest is snipped for focus of above......

JMO
I agree with above theory. I think this makes the most sense to me of what could have happened here.

The only thing that goes against this theory to me is wouldnt LE know all her personal contacts by now and checked all of them out. So how is this person not found by now if he/she knew her.

I don’t find a lot of meaning in any story the family floats. They’ve said on the record that LE isn’t telling them much, and we know from following other cases that families always construct the most hopeful scenario in the beginning, just as I probably would. Statistically, this is likely a very sad case.

I

If that’s the case as in the late 60s after harvest the ground is turned. Depending on the rotation and what is to be planted the following crop, a plow can go pretty deep. I know as I plowed many years.

Also by air LE is looking for areas in any planted field that are disturbed. And That would most likely cause a patter disturbance even in tall crops because all crops generally are planted close together for a high yield.

I also tend to believe after 3 weeks she is dead. It means a very sad end to this story. Statistically the best resolution would have been the very few early days.

Law enforcement knows the stats and I recently read them again. It’s very unlikely she is going to come home alive, and I am almost ready to conclude they may not find her.

I’m hoping her name is not added to the missing along interstate 80. The serial killers active in that highway are believed to number a few. Some are long haul truckers who are very difficult to track.

And I believe I 80 is within 5 or so mikes of Brooklyn. There are trucks in and out if that area with loads to meat processors and pig plants. A truck in that general area wouldn’t raise any suspicion at all. And there’s plenty of room to hide a petite female.

The only grace us mist loads withmeat as cargo are sealed for theft.

I can only hope they were able to obtain info from her phone and Fitbit. Most likely the reason they are targeting searches.

1. Fall field work - even using a moldboard plow - would NOT got 6 feet under the surface (my post stated burying the body - Deeply - not close to the surface - which also would allow it to not be detected by animals, etc - especially if it was treated/wrapped, et al).

2. As previously mentioned; it would be very easy to be in the middle of a field, totally secluded and you'd have plenty of time to bury deeply and it would be undetected by flying over - especially given her height and weight.

3. Time to fly over all fields in a mile, ten, fifty, etc. radius would be extremely time consuming - and futile.

4. Another distinct possibility are the numerous wooded areas around Brooklyn and in the Midwest.

5. I mentioned previously that the southern edge of Brooklyn is approx. 2 miles north of interstate 80.

6. A semi would stick out like a sore thumb in Brooklyn - unless - it's down by the Brooklyn Grain Elevator - as its not a town that's a common thoroughfare!!!

Hope that helps clear things up - and I'm not trying to be a jerk - just stating the obvious!

Sorry if this has been discussed but what qualifies as "aggravated" stalking?
Differences between stalking and aggravated stalking?

From the above article:

Secondly, aggravated stalking requires the accused to have “the intent to place that person in reasonable fear of death or bodily injury.” While stalking simply requires essentially repeated unwanted contact, it does not require the intent and fear issues. More often than not, aggravated stalking will involve some sort of written threat to satisfy the intent requirement. In our experience, these threats are often made electronically, which makes it somewhat difficult to defend because electronic records are so carefully maintained these days. We have also seen aggravated stalking charged where the accused makes some sort of violent threat or action toward the victim.

Although I'm one of the few that leans towards the thought that she may be alive after dad's statements, I still have lingering questions, as some of what he is quoted as saying doesn't make sense. Humor me, and let's say we're putting stock into his interviews. Can we logically answer the following?
  • Should we assume that the person who is with Mollie would also be missing? "I think they're in a place with Mollie and don't know how to get themselves out of this horrible situation...." So if said person is acquainted with Mollie, and is also missing, wouldn't that be super easy to nail down by now?
  • If she went willingly, and this person isn't missing, are we to assume she is safely stowed away somewhere while he/she goes about their life and they come back to Mollie at the end of the day?
  • If she didn't go willingly, dad has implied that this is a person who she trusted/cares about/they care about her...so again, through process of elimination, wouldn't this be figured out? I find it hard to believe she got really close to someone who literally know one else in her inner circle knows about...
I’ve been asking myself these questions too. My theory is that if Mollie’s dad does believe this he may have someone in mind. He might not know a name but something or someone Mollie may have mentioned over the last month or two may stick in his mind. That doesn’t answer whether this guy is missing too but it might explain why if his behavior is off people in Mollie’s circle haven’t noticed. It’s someone she knows (or is acquainted with) but they don’t. Perhaps someone from school.

If you are not a Fitbit wearer, you might not recognize the device as something capable of tracking an individual's data. People ask me what mine is all of the time. It looks like a black bracelet. Some look like watches. Whoever took Mollie might have left the Fitbit on her. However, it would need her cell phone to sync and certainly by now, it has lost its charge.
Posted in a past thread arevery real tech methods that info can be gleaned from a dead cell phone. There is an internal battery that keeps some very minimal things going For example the clock. Tech has come a very long way in the last few years and what we knew two years ago may not be what companies know today.

I think they have it will have an informed idea what occurred when, but I also think the ending will be sad. I hope they find who did this and that they are punished.

I’ve been asking myself these questions too. My theory is that if Mollie’s dad does believe this he may have someone in mind. He might not know a name but something or someone Mollie may have mentioned over the last month or two may stick in his mind. That doesn’t answer whether this guy is missing too but it might explain why if his behavior is off people in Mollie’s circle haven’t noticed. It’s someone she knows (or is acquainted with) but they don’t. Perhaps someone from school.
And after I posted my third bullet point, I questioned myself. I do suppose it's true that she could've entered into a companionship/relationship with someone that was completely unbeknownst to anyone else. Who her family portrays her to be and who she is portrayed as on social media doesn't mean she has zero secrets...

Samantha Koenig was kidnapped in Alaska, she was taken from a coffee stand and it was caught on video. Oh that was terrifying to watch. There was also a reward in that case. Circumstances in the cases are different, but ...
FBI Releases Details Of Samantha Koenig's Abduction & Murder

We were in anchorage as that happened. Sad and locals looked hard for her. I think if I remember right the coffee stand was in Muldoon.

They caught Isreal Keyes in Texas using her atm card. And he turned out to be a serial killer. Took the easy way out and committed suicide in jail. They found her in a lake north of anchorage. I think they connected him to 5-6 murders but suspected many more. Jail personnel were fired over his death. The fbi didn’t get to finish interviews with him. Evil and sad for everyone. Shocking as well. Alaska may be the largest state, but the entire population is about 670,000. Word travels like wildfire up there, but I can tell you the generosity of people us second to no where. If I needed help it was as close as my phone. And for 25 of 35 years I lived there
cell phones were non existent. People really watch out up there because it takes a split second wrong choice and you’re in trouble. Alaska was a great place to raise a family and have the best most generous people in the world.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member