Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #17

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel the two keys to this case are:
information obtained from her cell phone, lap top, social media, etc.
And the Fitbit info.

The fact that she did not take her wallet, personal items with her...
Obviously indicates that she did not intend, to leave the house, for any extended time. If she had left, with someone she knew. Therefore, I don't
Believe she left to "start a new life", as some people have stated. Nor, would she had not refrained from communicating with her parents, after three weeks.

I am very interested in Friday's LE public briefing. IF they have had some solid leads, they certainly wouldn't divulge this info to the public, and possibly compromise their investigation. The fact that LE postponed their public briefing, does not necessarily mean that their investigation has stalled. Any suspect would be watching the media also. Evidence is likely still present, and would not want the suspect to decide to destroy it.

This case seems wide opened to me. I don't know what direction, it might go.

I agree. If MT was my daughter, sister or GF I would've spent the last 3 weeks trying to hack into her email, facebook, and other SM accounts hoping to find some clues.

Here's an article about how the FB app constantly tracks your location.
Facebook Is Tracking Your Phone’s Location, Here’s How to Review Your History

I just signed up for this site.

I am a retired police officer, with over 30 years of experience. Like many others, I am intrigued by this particular case. I have read as much as possible, to become as knowledgeable as I can.

I have kept an open mind, and not jumped to conclusions. I would suggest others do the same.

I feel the two keys to this case are:
information obtained from her cell phone, lap top, social media, etc.
And the Fitbit info.

The fact that she did not take her wallet, personal items with her...
Obviously indicates that she did not intend, to leave the house, for any extended time. If she had left, with someone she knew. Therefore, I don't
Believe she left to "start a new life", as some people have stated. Nor, would she had not refrained from communicating with her parents, after three weeks.

I am very interested in Friday's LE public briefing. IF they have had some solid leads, they certainly wouldn't divulge this info to the public, and possibly compromise their investigation. The fact that LE postponed their public briefing, does not necessarily mean that their investigation has stalled. Any suspect would be watching the media also. Evidence is likely still present, and would not want the suspect to decide to destroy it.

This case seems wide opened to me. I don't know what direction, it might go.

Welcome to WS! It's great to have you on board. Hopefully you'll look at our other cases too and lend an expert opinion. You can also become a "verified insider" - how to do that is on this thread.

@kkdj

I didn't forget your questions, I just decided to tie them in with the FitBit reports so it took awhile. Here is what I came up with:

1. When was the red shirt found? Best I can determine, Thursday morning, 7/26. I came to this conclusion based on statements by Mortvedt that nothing was found 7/25, then Thursday morning – another search and boom, they brought in the dogs Thursday afternoon after a red shirt was found.

2. Was the red shirt found on WC property? No, according to reports, it was found by someone mowing, in a field nearby his property.

3. When did LE first interview WC? July 26.

Hi- this is my first post (at least in years if not ever!) so not sure i am doing this right but... did they find her jogging clothes at the house? I would assume she would shower or at least get changed if she came home. I know they have not found her armband or phone but i do not hear much mentioned about the clothes.
They have not said they have found her clothes. Also, the boyfriend said after going for a run she would either shower or eat, in either order, before doing some homework and going to bed.

Hi- this is my first post (at least in years if not ever!) so not sure i am doing this right but... did they find her jogging clothes at the house? I would assume she would shower or at least get changed if she came home. I know they have not found her armband or phone but i do not hear much mentioned about the clothes.

as far as we know her jogging clothes are missing with her.

A search warrant is common in a situation like this because of all of the reasons listed above.
I don't know why one wasn't obtained for the hog farm. Time restraints? I don't know

After seeing that video of WC on the mower, it caused me to wonder if he isn't the one who found the red shirt while mowing? Then LE goes to retrieve it and talk to him and he says go right ahead and search...?

ETA: Who found the shirt?!

Last edited:
I just looked up my nieces, who are roughly mollie’s age and neither of them have an account. That may be because one of them is a college athlete and she already gets cyber stalked by creeps.

They may have alternate names for their accounts. I have two instagram accounts, none under my real name.

I was thinking about another angle. I keep thinking about Winkler saying we have to get to know the real Mollie...and the dad saying there is a misunderstanding. Perhaps Mollie was like a lot of young girls these days, wanted attention and money. Possibly she was on a dating site where the men pay the women for company - Like Sugar Daddy.com type of thing. Maybe she was to go out for the night with someone, they came to the door and she wasn't quite ready yet. They came in while she was getting ready and then forced her to leave...

This is outside the box but it is more common than you think for women her age who want to live a lifestyle they can't afford. I have asked about her financial situation a few times but no one seems to have any clue.

According to Mollie's mother in an interview with the Daily Mail that was published Friday the running clothes were not found.

We don't know what they have found or not found because LE is understandably not divulging that information.

It is better for the person being searched because warrants, as far as I know, must be very specific about what police are looking for. If you've let them in, they can search anything. You may think you have nothing to hide, but you may be wrong. In Washington, for instance, prescribed controlled substances must be kept in the original bottle. You can't put pills in those 7-day dispensers; you know, the ones people who typically take a lot of prescriptions use. Congrats, they've got you for a crime.
That might be again where “Iowa Nice” comes in. I doubt statistics are kept, but I’d venture to guess a very high percentage of requests to search are granted here. I was asked a few years ago if my car could be search after a speeding stop, I said sure without ever thinking of what you just mention.

Agh! I lost track of this discussion when the thread closed a couple of days ago, and totally missed threads 15 & 16. Just discovered we’re well into thread 17. So, apologies is this has already been discussed, but...

The video of her from the day before she disappeared, appears to be at the summer camp where she worked (by kids in the background), answers 2 open questions to me.
  1. She was wearing a pink and white t-shirt, so camp counselors did not wear red shirts to camp every day. The red shirts were likely just for field trips.
  2. The Fitbit she was wearing appears to be an Alta or a Charge, with an aqua band and a black display.
New video of missing Iowa jogger from day before she went missing

Probably doesn’t help much in finding Mollie, but I know these questions have come up more than a few times.

Obviously, it makes sense to cover the more likely scenarios, but I would like to suggest some less likely ones, possibilities that I am not sure I would ultimately support but I am throwing out there anyway.

1. The guy that was watching female joggers and turned himself in, could he have been a scout of some kind? So even though he wasn’t directly involved maybe he was given some sort incentive to provide photos or details of joggers to some other source (e.g., another online creep of some kind, or even a network of creeps). A source perhaps even anonymous to him ... and if that were the case, it wouldn’t be too difficult for him to keep quiet and say he didn’t know anything. It would be true.

2. I beat the drum on this issue in an earlier thread, but what's the deal with the reported burglary that was recorded in the July 17th police log (it was called in on the 16th) just up the road on W Des Moines? If that burglary is still unresolved, it would mean that there are some possible implications. The house in question is another big white house, just like Mollie’s BF’s house ... and it is also on a corner. Was this an abduction where others were given second hand info to nab her (e.g “ She’s in the big white house on W Des Moines”) and they simply went to the wrong house that night? Or was a person in town looking specifically for her, asked for her location and got it wrong (and ended up ultimately getting her outside of her house or jogging at a later time)?

"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
—Sherlock Holmes​

This case just stays on my mind. As I was reading your #2 it made me starting wondering:

There are two Sheriff Dept folks who live in Brooklyn per the Sheriff. There is no substation there. I wondered how close they lived to Mollie's parents? Please don't misread or try to read something negative about LE in this post. Could the person have been watching Mollie for some time and because of how close Mollie's mom lives to where local LE live, nothing happened. But this summer Mollie was spending more and more time away from her mom's home. With the way she runs, would not take long to learn her routine this summer. Same POB. Same boyfriend. Not sure how long ago Dalton moved in with brother. Could be LE lives near Dalton's parents? Could the reason nothing happened until that day was the proximity of LE?

And I have always wondered since the Sheriff's office is in Montezuma. If the person was local (and by that I don't necessarily mean LIVING there at the moment in time Mollie vanished. I don't even mean born in the state of IA much less that county. Could have family: grandparents, in-laws. Could work a biz route/territory, etc- when I use the term LOCAL I mean knows the town -the streets, the way LE works, good idea of businesses and how folks daily, and in this case, specifically during the week, move about.) how many officers are there who respond when a call comes in? Since there is a contract between Brooklyn and County Sheriff office is a particular officer or number of officers supposed to always be available for any call to Brooklyn? I wonder if it could be known that so-and-so would be working on X day at the Sheriff's dept and the person responsible was able to either monitor calls (can you still monitor police calls?) and know officer so and so was responding to a call on the other side of the county. (maybe even make the call that sends so and son in that direction) Or know that so and so doesn't work Wednesdays, was on vacation that week?

If she was snatched while either walking to mom's or during or after her run - doesn't that open the door to either some one very brazen with no concern or someone who felt comfortable on WEDNESDAY in BROOKLYN or sometime Thursday from midnight to the time Dalton sent that morning text to which Mollie which she never responded. What would make someone comfortable -

I initially thought NO POLICE - they are in Montezuma! With a population for the whole county under 18000 how many officers are there in the first place? How much ground do they have to cover? Do THEY have specific routes they work on particular days? Do they have specific officers who work particular days - locations? Does anything stand out where Wednesday July 18th after 5:30 to the time Dalton sent that morning text in regards to the Sheriff's dept?

The Sheriff said two people in his dept live in Brooklyn. Are they deputies? Or some other job? And could over time enough be learned about LE to give someone confidence and comfort to take Mollie?

And as far as the ex-hog biz guy, does that route and location mean anything to local LE. A poster mentioned folks in the region where the biz is are more connected to Montezuma than Brooklyn? Could someone be expecting that, using it to their advantage?

I want to know if infrared searches have been done - been reading about all of the advances since the 1970s when the first article I read about how plant/light change over where a grave is located and there are signatures which can be seen using infrared that the naked eye can't see.

And I can't shake CAMPING. and I don't know why! There are some campsites which don't require reservations. Could any of them hold anything. Anyone else wondering about camp grounds/ camping?

Things I want to know:
1.What was the condition of the house? Door unlocked? Did she normally lock doors? Dogs? Shower used?
2. What time was the Snapchat photo taken?
3.Is the red shirt real evidence or not?

YOU ANGEL
angel2-smiley.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members