Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #17

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The dads interview from yesterday seems Like he has very much thought through a senerio. I’m wondering if it’s all his personal feelings or if it’s coming from information they have been given as a family.
I thought I remembered him saying something about the family not being given much information so as not to like implicate someone close...or something like that? I just re-listened though and he does not say that here. Did anyone else hear that anywhere or did I misunderstand something the first listen?
Mollie Tibbetts' dad believes she is with someone she knows

"Why she is missing" bothers me. Talking to her Dad for 3 hours right before she goes missing bothers me. "...spending this time getting to know Mollie...." bothers me.
MOO....I'm still sticking to the fact she made it home. But after her dad's interview today and him feeling she's still alive made me think of that 3 hour phone call with him. Three hour phone calls with dad take place because your tush is on fire about something. So...based on the pictures I'm leaning toward thinking she had found someone she wanted to perhaps see more of and was going to go out with that night. But because she is the type of person she is, she was talking it over with dad about having these feelings for someone else beside her long term boyfriend. I'm beginning to think she willingly went out late with this guy to investigate these feelings while boyfriend was out of town and instead got WAY over her head when she found out that he wasn't her safe boyfriend.
Think about it. When I was a teen, I dated a lot. Most times I had fun. But a couple or three or four of those times, I found myself in situations I didnt want to be in because I was in a situation I didnt know how to handle and was scared. Could this have happened to her? Could it have been a casual acquaintance from town who she talked to more in depth on the computer and it turned out that when she went out with him, he wasn't what he said he was or she thought he was? Has he got her captive somewhere or did he hurt her when she started fighting?

Last edited:
If she was supposed to pick up the car that evening, then why does the brother wait until the next morning to text her about the car. Also he had just dropped her off in their shared car at 5:30. She really would go to the house 2-3 hours later to pick it back up? I was always under the impression that she picked up the car in the morning if she needed it. IMOO

This is what is bothering me as well.

Some parts of Mollie's missing are starting to remind me of a local lady missing a few months ago (Marshell White). Marshell had a job that needed her the next day, adored her children and grandchildren, her daughters stated they knew her mom wouldn't harm herself or leave her grandchildren, and she posted a few vague messages regarding suicide on her social media.

Marshell was finally found a month later of suicide. One note was that Marshell had taken off in her vehicle which obviously Mollie didn't and Marshell sent a couple of texts before erasing and powering off her iPhone.

Still not ruling out suicide or abduction at this point.

ETA: Marshell also had a red herring of a tumultuous relationship with her second husband. They were divorcing. Lots of attention was given to the husband until she was found.

Thank you so much for sharing! I myself am an 18 year old college student and honestly I have been looking through this and it seems pretty normal for a college girl :) Since I can't find her VSCO linked on her personal social media (as far as I can see), I do think she posted these herself. I use VSCO and it is pretty hard to find someone's account if it's not linked somewhere. A lot of people use it to post pictures they don't want to post on their Instagram or Twitter, but still want their close friends to see. Also, I think the topless pics are probably just sharing her fitness journey. All of that is just IMO, but I wouldn't think anything is out of the ordinary if my friends posted those things!

Random thoughts:

1. This case is definitely weird. The first people looked at by LE would be family/friends, then the circle would widen. By this time, I'd think the circle has gotten very wide -- but still, I'd think a huge circle has been interviewed by FBI and state LE. Is there anyone they like?

2. The lack of info released by LE: My experience is that they release info only when they need to warn others of possible danger, or when they want info from the public. In this case, I'm sure everyone already knows that police want info.

3. Have there been manhunts? In rural Iowa, I'd think that an army of ATVs could be assembled in an hour or so. I've not heard of any massive hunts.

4. Corn fields: If you walk between rows, the damage would be minimal. But you'd cut the heck out of your arms and any other exposed skin. You could hide a body simply by dragging it 2-3 rows into a field -- corn fields are very dense. You wouldn't need to search entire fields -- there'd be no need for a perpetrator to go beyond 5 rows. (For the most part, killers are lazy and would see no need to go deep into a field).

5. The hog farmer: I'm leaning heavily toward him having no involvement. He doesn't seem bright enough to outsmart FBI agents. As for the polygraph, even an idiot knows that you don't take a polygraph (or a breathalyzer), unless you're a family member and you're wanting to quickly clear yourself (so police can find the real perpetrator). Although I think it's a slim possibility here, I'll hedge my bet by saying that I've seen a few cases where a complete idiot gets away with a major crime simply by being lucky. I know of one case where a couple was killed and their house was set afire. There were about 50 volunteer firefighters and neighbors who arrived and tried to put out the fire -- making a total mess of the crime scene.

6. The dad: You can't put much stock into what he says. He's hoping for a good outcome, perhaps unreasonably. And LE has likely not told him everything they know -- because until the case is solved, everyone is a suspect, including family. As for media interviews, there's no right or wrong thing to say -- imagine how difficult it would be.

7. Electronics: Police can surely tell when her computer was turned on, turned off, browsing history, etc. Same with her phone. The fitbit, I'm not sure, but maybe. Police no doubt have a great amount of information from her electronics and her social media. And contrary to what some posters here have said, social media companies will quickly give that info to law enforcement when a life is possibly on the line. I've seen it done in a matter of an hour -- the detective calls the media company, and the media company begins putting the info together while still on the phone with the detective. Another detective secures the search warrant at the same time, and the deal is done. The social media companies might say publicly that they protect your privacy. But I have literally heard cops tell companies, "I don't want to have to tell reporters that this girl is dead, and it's because your company wouldn't cooperate in the search for her." It's amazing how effective that is.

8. Her social media postings: I don't make much of them. I've got daughters that age, and they post songs/memes of stuff all the time. And the suggestion that she wanted to commit suicide or run off and start a new life? No way. A 20-year-old simply breaks up with boyfriend and moves on. If he were breaking up with her, maybe I could see her being upset, but there's absolutely no evidence of that.

9. She has another suitor? Even if true, that guy would have been tracked down long ago, electronically, and thoroughly investigated.

So, with all of the above, here are my conclusions:
1. They're looking at someone in her circle, which might explain why they're not sharing much info. They've got a good hunch, but maybe not enough for a search warrant?
2. They think a stranger was involved. But if so, wouldn't they be doing manhunts in fields and such? Wouldn't they be asking the public for help in searching for certain types/colors of vehicles, which were perhaps seen on security cameras in town?
3. They think it was someone in town. I don't think so. I'm sure almost everyone in town has been questioned. I'm just not feeling it.

It's all very unusual.

I respect your opinion. However, the suicide posts were commonly shared during the time of high profile suicides in the media. I shared and continue to share regularly posts about depression and mental illness. I'm a mental health professional with a psych background. But, my friends in other fields equally share the same. I'm not depressed or suicidal. I agree that nothing can be ruled out but am cautious to judge based on what she shared. Jmo.
Thank you Momma for everything you do in this field. I have family members going through this and I try to help as much as I can too.

Last edited:
As am I and as do I. However, when I do share those posts I do it on ALL platforms, and particularly the ones that have more viewers. Not just one smallish platform, and one that I also happen to have all of my "raw and uncut" self and thoughts permeating my feed.

JMO.

She posted the same suicide hotline support, mental illness awareness posts on her public Twitter. She posted a lengthly thread about her struggles with her weight and self image on Twitter - in a way that I felt was meant to encourage other people to love and accept themselves. We don't know what she posted on her Facebook page since it's private. I don't see the issue. Thousands of people have been posting similar things since Robin Williams' suicide, continuing through the very public suicides of Kate Spade and Anthony Bourdain. These were very well loved celebrities and it hit many young people very hard.

Suicide is always a possibility. It's worth noting that asthma patients are twice as likely to develop mood disorders and anxiety. This is a published medical fact. Mollie discussed her asthma, during her class speech which is over on Youtube.
"When nothing is ruled out.... anything is possible."

She posted the same suicide hotline support, mental illness awareness posts on her public Twitter. She posted a lengthly thread about her struggles with her weight and self image on Twitter - in a way that I felt was meant to encourage other people to love and accept themselves. We don't know what she posted on her Facebook page since it's private. I don't see the issue. Thousands of people have been posting similar things since Robin Williams' suicide, continuing through the very public suicides of Kate Spade and Anthony Bourdain. These were very well loved celebrities and it hit many young people very hard.
Did anyone see the movie Eighth Grade that’s out now? It’s a very good movie about the struggles of an introvert girl in her last week of eighth grade.

She also posted a screen shot of Ed Sheerans song “Save Myself” with the comment “that kind of day”. I looked up the lyrics and they are somewhat melencholy. The date of this was back in April. Not sure what to think at this point. I’m baffled as everyone else. As far as the underwear photos, they are all too common today.

I am behind, did I miss something? How are the social media posts related? I don't know much about social media.

From experience on reading through this site I’ve noticed that when family members are the ones primarily speaking to the media, it usually means that LE are trying to make the POI believe that there is no evidence and that the case isn’t going anywhere, hoping that the POI slips because there is not much evidence. I truly hope & wish that Mollie is still alive. It would be a miracle.

Wow! look at the two portraits of her towards the bottom. She looks so much like Jodi Arias in her younger pretty days before she became the slasher killer.

I have seen the resemblance from the beginning. She does look like <modsnip: name variations are not allowed, even of convicted murderers> Arias.

Last edited by a moderator:

I am about 2/3 of the way through this and wanted to throw out some tidbits for our members who can't view the video. I left out Dad's comments at the beginning which were basically that his previous interview was purely speculation and that he has no particular person in mind.

• MOM: As far as the investigation goes, they don't know exactly when she went missing. "She told me she was coming home for dinner, but that she was going for a run first."
  • DALTON: Last saw her Tuesday morning before he went to work. He gets up at 4:30, so she was still asleep. He kissed her goodbye while she was still asleep. Wednesday night they were texting back and forth. Just normal conversation. He says the AC didn't work very well in Mollie's room at her mom's so she was basically staying at his house because it was cooler. He describes the normal evening routine at his house as follows: She'd run, then shower or eat (depending on what order) then she'd do some homework, then they'd go to bed.
  • DAD: Last 3 weeks has been a blur, but have gotten more organized. All of the media is meant to drive more tips to law enforcement.
  • MOM: Worked in conjunction with Dalton's employer to get the reward going. Took well over a week to get it running.
  • DAD: Still believes Mollie is alive and said they couldn't function if they didn't.

Last edited:
The Fitbit data tied to a hog farm. WC sold the farm some time ago, right? So it can't be tied to his property.
It’s near his place that’s why the search started there.

If she had been suicidal, she likely would have left her phone and fitbit at home. If she purposely had kept her fitbit and phone for location purposes, they would have found her body by now. IMHO, suicide is out.

Again, everybody has complex emotions and complex events happening in their life. Say I went missing....people could all of a sudden start picking apart my social media—I just posted something the other day about people ruining other people’s lives (it’s because of a loved one going through a hard time) but people could probably try to use that and make up a scenerio on why I might be missing because someone ruined my life. I have some children with special needs. Somebody might guess, oh, maybe she had too much stress and she ran away. I write poetry and post it on social media. Some of the poetry is highly introspective and melancholy. People could probably make some really creative stories based on my poetry, and think up of a whole plot on what could have happened to me. I think we need to stop overthinking things. College girls can have complex lives, but usually they deal with them, and they are usually fine, and they grow up like everyone else.

I think we are trying too hard. She was, IMHO, taken during a jog like so many before her. Her fitbit was likely removed and thrown out OR it is buried with her body which has somehow not yet been found. If the perp is not WC, it is probably a serial dude—there are tons of cold cases out there, and who knows how many are connected. It is extremely sad and extremely scary. Women should take self defense lessons and they should always have some sort of self defense on their person if out jogging alone, plus practice situational awareness, because this awful stuff happens. I took the Sherry Arnold case kind of hard, for some reason...because it was out west, where I used to live, and assumed it was safe. But some random dude just saw her and was like, you know what, I’m suddenly in the mood for crime. Totally random. She was running in what seemed to be a very, very safe area. I would have thought nothing of running alone out in the rural west. So, anything can happen anywhere you go, even in the semi-rural Midwest. Scary stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay