Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #18

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's unclear what type of agent. Back in thread 5, someone asked, "Real Estate Agent?" I think we can safely assume DCI or FBI.

lol...had me looking into the real estate agent that sold the house to Dalton's brother / fiancee :(

A snap can be sent with or without a caption

The snap and where she was and what her demeanor appeared to be seems important, unless it's known by LE that it was sent so early on the timeline that it's not relevant.

How does one disappear like this? You can argue the facts, as they are, but at the end of the day she vanished. Last known at home, jogging, at pig farm, she’s still gone. Gone.

With snaps, is it just an image or can there be written content, as in a caption or other info? The BF has said that it appeared she was in a house, but it was dark and he couldn't tell what environment she was in. And I've seen a couple of references to the mother saying that LE asked her if Mollie was in a house at 9:45. I wonder if this is a time stamp they found related to the snap and it's really not clear where she was, and this is part of what's concerning?
Yes, you take a pic and then you can write a small caption across it. The timestamp is from when you open it, not from when it's sent. I have mine set so I don't get interrupted every 5 mins so I don't even know I have any until I open the app. Then I open it, and when I view the person's snapchat it stamps it with when I opened it. But it may have been sent the day before.

@crhedBngr said:
No, not strange at all. My family has migraine sufferers as well. Darn things will really wipe you out. When I had them, I had to sleep them off for several hours.
Glad you have Mum to help you through these!

O/T but Mother orca just spotted, still carrying her dead calf --16 days later.:(

WOW. That really makes a statement. Poor, poor Mum. Thanks for sharing.

I was born in raised in a city of 150,000 but for the last 30 years have only lived in several small towns. The one I live in now and have for over 20 years has a population of just over 475 people and not all of that population is year round because some have their summer homes here. Never locked my doors for most of the 30 years in various towns, this being the smallest one it's ironic that I began locking them about 2 or 3 years ago. Why? I am nearing 60 and I think you get a little more cautious as you age.

We have always had large dogs which are an amazing deterrent to people both known and unknown to us, to enter our property. Currently we have a 125 lb German Shepherd that every delivery driver from mail to USPS is petrified of. He is a big bear and more chicken of them then they are of him BUT, I never tell people that. He is extremely vocal and stronger then heck so between the low, ferocious sounding barks and the obvious struggle I have attempting to restrain him enough to answer the door, always results in whoever is on the other side getting their business here over VERY quickly and scooting away. Yes, even townspeople.

I also wanted to add my two cents about small towns. I think people have a misconception of small town life. You hear over and over again people state yeah small towns are great because everyone knows everyone else. That is soooooooooooooo not true that it is actually funny to me.
My experience is definitely the opposite. I've lived her for 20 years and I can count on less then two hands the names of people I know and what they do for a living and where they live. Like all small towns there are "original" families that still live here. Those are the people I could tell you their names because one is the chief of police and the other is a paramedic and his wife who is a nurse. The other 2 are people that came in recent years I had actually purchased a former home from in yet another small town I lived in prior to here. (pop 5,500)

If I am outside people all beep and wave as they drive by. I have never met them, do not know their names. The people I have met in town I know by first name, know nothing other then they live "down that road" and certainly have no idea how they live their lives, if they have children or anything else for that matter. The lady that works at town hall is a gossipy thing about 10 years younger then I so anything I learned about people it was through her. She said you and your family fit right in because we don't "mix" and keep to ourselves, which is true. With our small population I did meet some kids my youngest went to school with (regional schools) and I met their mom's too. Having talked to the mom's I felt my kid was safe to visit and so they had play dates. After school there was none of that because our houses are miles away from each other. Even though we have a small population we are VERY spread out. We have one of the smaller properties of only 18 acres. Some people have over 800. Lots of old farmhouses with lots of land. I have what you would call 5 "neighbors". Out of that five 3 live 2 miles away and the other two live over a half mile away across from each other. I am surrounded by woods.

There was ONE business in town when we moved here, a general store. That is where I saw the most of my fellow townspeople. No one knew my name nor I their's. That closed about 7 years ago so we do not have that nor even our own post office or church. We have a tiny library that is barely open but 5 hours a week and has mostly childrens books. There used to be two celebrations a year one celebrating the end of black fly season (parade and party on the lawn of the closed down meeting house) and now since they built a new firestation/police dept/community hall across the street from me, they have a yearly fire dept steak dinner. We get free tickets because of the guilt they all feel about the vote that they held whether to build that building across the street from us. Considering there were MANY places in town where it could have been built where not a person would have been within a mile, I was NOT happy the town voted to build it here.

At that firemen's dinner we are approached by neighbors and 20 years later we STILL hear, you moved into the old Griffin house right. They do not know our names or what we do nor do I know them or what they do. We are still referred to as the "young couple" who bought the Griffin's house. Well I am almost 60 so not really young anymore LOL and Griffin died 25 years ago.

So to sum it up, no, small town life is not everyone knowing everyone's name and all their business. In fact it is the opposite. The ones that lived here before mind their own business and we mind ours. Yes, they wave and smile and are friendly and we are as well, but that is the extent of it. Brooklyn appears to be this way too and was underscored when someone on this forum said they recently took a drive into Brooklyn and people were waving at him. They did because that is what we do LOL... Most are loners that have their time filled up with their own families and outside interests and enjoy living out in the country where bear, moose, deer, mountain lion tend to wander through our yards, eat our blueberries and hosta and meander away. It is a life we CHOSE to get away from the over congested cities and suburbia. We could have a break in and NO ONE would have seen a damn thing because we do not live close by anyone really and unless someone is driving by (I live on a main route) and happen to be looking over, they would miss it. They certainly have no idea what anyone living in this house "routine" is. This was verified by some of the locals that were interviewed one woman who was volunteering was asked by the reporter, so you knew Molly and the Tibbets family. She said no, not really. I know who they are....and there you have it. Just what I was saying. Yes, we may know a name but NOT the person or how they live.

Thoroughly enjoyed your post. I have question - do you have a local newspaper?

Yes, but they would have to analyze pings from 100,000 different cell phones and then start contacting those who could be pinpointed to that area, which would probably be a lot. Theoretically it should work, but again I can't find any case of it being successful.
If the fitbit is more precise and it stands to reason that both fitbit and phone would be destroyed at about the same time, it may not be necessary. On the other hand, if the fitbit data was not useful, and the phone was active for a longer period of time, hopefully they will try. Surely if the phone were pinging anywhere outside of the area they wouldn't be stuck at the pig farms.

Yes, you take a pic and then you can write a small caption across it. The timestamp is from when you open it, not from when it's sent. I have mine set so I don't get interrupted every 5 mins so I don't even know I have any until I open the app. Then I open it, and when I view the person's snapchat it stamps it with when I opened it. But it may have been sent the day before.

Yeah, I get that, I'm wondering about the question to the mother as to whether or not she was in a house at 9:45 and the BF's remark that in the pic she sent she appeared to be a house but he couldn't make out where exactly she was.

Here are a few key points IMO.

WC had his cell taken by the FBI overnight and examined with a fine tooth comb. Well let’s hope so. Questions I have.

#1 - WC said he never went into Brooklyn. His cell phone records records should either be able to prove that or discredit him if he does go into Brooklyn.

#2 - WC cellphone two days prior to and the day of the disappearance should show where he was those days and even the day after she went missing. Was his phone more active than usual or not used at all. If not used. Maybe a burner phone he owns.

#3 - Did he have a burner phone he used and could they get that information from credit purchases or nearby cellular stores customer information to prove the phone the FBI examined wasnt the only phone he had.

#4 - How long has he had his cell phone they checked and is there a backup program on it like Dropbox or iCloud backup with data to extract.

I have not heard of an official taking and keeping your phone such as this. This is an interesting thought. Again, it points to information gathering versus use of warrant based on his statements.

I saw at least three different women as plaintiffs or mention in the cases/charges against WC. None of whom were his ex wife - who is not JJ, btw. It's possible they are all exes, but still concerning in terms of there being an ongoing pattern of behavior.
This right here. Thank you for sharing your experience. You are amazing.

As a general plea, can we please try to be careful and avoid accusing victims of WC of being opportunistic fame-seekers or money-grubbers? JMO, but it comes across as victim blaming, this is a victim friendly site and the woman who was interviewed, and her daughter should be viewed as victims. It's corroborated in public court documents.

WC pled guilty to some of the charges and was convicted. Protection orders and no contact orders were granted against him many times. There's a pattern of behavior here against multiple women which is troubling. It's not just one, that needs to be emphasized. Harassment in the 1st degree involves threatening to commit a felony against the person, by the way.

It's disturbing to me that people (not just here but everywhere) seem to be downplaying stalking, harassment and violating no contact orders. Downplaying domestic abuse allegations. Obviously having been a survivor of DA myself(and being stalked by a SO after having left the country where the DA resided), my personal experiences are going to make this a very hot issue for me. I have a bias, but I am going to share my perspective anyway in the hopes of helping others to understand why I am disturbed by the train of thought I mentioned above.

I had to flee a country to escape my abusive ex and he still tried to make contact, made inquiries which got back to me which indicated he might attempt to enter the country that I had fled to (due to knowledge of some future plans I had told him prior to the abuse). I've had panic attacks decades years later when I thought I glimpsed his face in a crowd, even though logically I know it couldn't have been him. The trauma and stress may lessen over time, but it doesn't take much to set off those same feelings of being terrified for my privacy, my safety and, at times, even my life. It is difficult to articulate what it feels like to live with that kind of ongoing fear. It can be paralyzing.

All I ask is for people to pause before accusing confirmed or even alleged victims of DA and other personal crimes as being attention seekers looking for a pay out.

There's still a massive stigma surrounding the reportage of domestic abuse, stalking/harassment and sexual assault. Far too often victims are accused of being crazy, hysterical, vindictive liars, willing participants or having provoked the criminal acts in some way. Is it any wonder so few women report crimes against their person when they often are the ones who get their reputations dragged through the mud even more than the accused? It takes a lot of courage and fortitude to make formal complaints to the police and even stick it out through the court process.

So, please, please can we be mindful of this and err on the side of sensitivity when discussing victims?

Last edited:
A few questions : who was the first person to enter the house after Mollie went missing ? How long were the dogs believed to have been left alone in the house ? because Mollie's BF mentioned that when he went into the house, the dogs had plenty of food and water. Were the doors unlocked at the house when the first person entered ?

Great questions and I wish I had the answers!

So then if she went missing on her run or on the way to mom's house that would make the time between 7:45 and 9:00 pm. Is that right? That she went missing?

I believe it was Mortvedt who said early on (before public disclosures were silenced) that her jog went from approx. 7:30 to 7:45 p.m..

My thought has been that it is likely not a coincidence that Mollie disappeared while at the house alone and for two nights.

Added to that - no vehicles in the driveway, especially overnight and very early morning.

If someone had been aware of this - perhaps he thought that there would be a long time period before Mollie was discovered "missing" - since no one else seemed to be home.

Just my thoughts.

I can’t think why an LE agent would call her mom to ask her if Mollie was in the house, or a house? RE agent made more sense to me, if maybe an agent thought it was being shown or on the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
enthusiastic