Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #18

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had assumed from mom's explanation that Mollie sometimes didn't show up for dinner, and she was not worried when that happened, that that didn't really help much in the timeline. However, now that I think about it, I wonder how common that was that she wouldn't show? Especially considering she did need the car for work the next day? This was a different scenario than the norm, since she was at BF's house alone, and didn't have his car to use, which it was stated she sometimes did. So you would think it would be more likely that she would go to her mom's to eat dinner, or at least get the car before dark. I also wonder how much she liked brats? Is that something she would usually pass on, or was it one of her favorite dinners?

ETA--Also, since mom said two red shirts were at her house, you would think she would definitely need to go back to mom's to get that shirt for work, just like the car. I'd think this increases the odds that she planned to go to her mom's for dinner, get car, get red shirt for work, but never made it. Maybe going missing sometime between 7:30pm and dusk/dark?

Of course, LE has said they have a solid timeline, so at this point it's just for our own conjecture since they're not sharing...

I know I was excited to learn about the new injection treatment until I learned it cost nearly £6,000 a year privately and wasn’t available on the NHS. Most days I’m sat in the dark with a cool patch on my head. Migraines are horrific.

I’m sorry greg. The injections have been life altering for my son, however he now has coverage. Migraines are brutal and debilitating to say the least. They had such an impact on his family life. I hope NHS will change.
OT. Sorry

Maybe it's not what he's done so much as what he knows. With his past someone might figure he might not be a fan of LE or they might have something on him so
Here are a few key points IMO.

WC had his cell taken by the FBI overnight and examined with a fine tooth comb. Well let’s hope so. Questions I have.

#1 - WC said he never went into Brooklyn. His cell phone records records should either be able to prove that or discredit him if he does go into Brooklyn.

#2 - WC cellphone two days prior to and the day of the disappearance should show where he was those days and even the day after she went missing. Was his phone more active than usual or not used at all. If not used. Maybe a burner phone he owns.

#3 - Did he have a burner phone he used and could they get that information from credit purchases or nearby cellular stores customer information to prove the phone the FBI examined wasnt the only phone he had.

#4 - How long has he had his cell phone they checked and is there a backup program on it like Dropbox or iCloud backup with data to extract.
Maybe the interest in him isn't so much what he's done but what he might know. With his past someone might figure he might not be a fan of LE or they might have something on him so they figure they can easily enlist his aid in disposing of evidence.

I can’t think why an LE agent would call her mom to ask her if Mollie was in the house, or a house? RE agent made more sense to me, if maybe an agent thought it was being shown or on the market.

I thought her mother referred to LE? Maybe not. There is so much flying around.

Delete...duplicate post
I really can't take credit! Thank you for your contributions. :)

WHAT WE KNOW
  • Mollie's jogging clothing and devices are missing
  • she has about 3 different routes and likes to mix them up
  • the dogs were in the basement
  • Dalton said the door was probably unlocked
  • she was seen running East on Pershing towards the Funeral Home
  • she was seen at the Funeral Home
  • she typically picks up the car at her mom's house before dark
  • she went for a run at 7:30
  • she usually runs for 45 minutes
  • LE reconstructed her run, relying on Fitbit data, cell phone pings and eyewitnesses
  • a digital signal led police to the Guernsey farm area
  • video was collected from various businesses
  • Mollie's mom was asked by FBI if Mollie was "in a home" at 9:45
  • she may have done homework (time unknown & unconfirmed)
  • Snapchat appeared to be indoors & taken that day, viewed at 10PM
  • Mollie was a creature of habit
  • Dalton sent her a text in the morning and she did not respond
  • This was the second night that Mollie was alone in the house
  • There were no vehicles in the driveway (as there usually would be)
  • Her driver's license and debit card were at the house
  • Usual evening routine: run, shower/eat or eat/shower, homework, bed
  • No signs of a struggle or forced entry
Thank you for the last one @Stippling.
When was Sunset that evening in Brooklyn, IA?

Just a thought... some seemed to find the father’s comments as odd. With his gut feeling that she was being held by someone she knew and all. Is it possible the FBI coached him on what to say? Trying to make the culprit believe they weren’t on to him and buy Mollie more time? If they do have a suspect or POI, and he didnt know Mollie prior, it might cause him to relax about being caught immediately and causing him to do something rash. Even more rash tan abduction, I should say. MMO

The family appears to be learning through the process of giving out known information versus speculation. Whatever they do say is vital to bringing their daughter home so review and input and limits would be set.

I started this earlier today:
So, going back to the facts because maybe something will come up.
Mollie Cecilia Tibbetts
Twitter handle-Motibbs Mollie Tibbetts (@Motibbs) | Twitter
FB-https://www.facebook.com/mollie.tibbetts
Instagram: Motibbs
Father- Rob Tibbetts, married, lives in CA
Mother-Laura Calderwood, divorced from Rob, lives in Brooklyn, IA
Brother- Jake Tibbetts
Brother-Scott Tibbetts
Boyfriend-Dalton Jack
Boyfriend's brother-Blake Jack
Fiance of Blake-Allie Houghton

Mollie is:
20 years old
student at U of Iowa in Iowa City
brown hair
brown eyes
5'2" 120lbs
wears glasses/contacts
uses fitbit
avid runner
psychology major
intern at childcare daycamp at Grinnell Regional Medical Center
shares car with brother Jake
was best man at father's wedding earlier this year in CA
was supposed to be in Blake and Allie's wedding/Dominican Republic
was living between her mother's home and house owned by Allie

camera from elec-coop was broken
video taken from Casey's General store
there was an agricultural fair in town
there was a biking event in town

July 16:
Blake and Allie leave house and are gone during the entire time.

July 17:
Dalton left to work on a construction site 100 miles away "early morning".
Molllie's first night alone.
House nearby burgalled.
Mollie was staying in Allie's house to dog-sit two dogs belonging to Blake and Allie.

July18:
Mollie went to work, taped by friend and video released of her laughing and sticking out tongue.
Jake picked up Mollie and dropped her off at Allie's at 5:30pm
Mollie chatted with Dalton on social media and text msg just before she went out for her routine evening jog. Timeline of the disappearance of University of Iowa student Mollie Tibbetts
Mollie was last seen at 7:30pm jogging in black shorts, pink sports top and sneakers. She had a cellphone in an armband, fitbit and earbuds.
At 7:30 she texted with mother about items needed for children the next day and asked what was for dinner, mother replied "brats", Mollie responded "ok". MISSING WOMAN: 20-year-old missing in Poweshiek County
At 10pm Dalton opened a snapchat from Mollie, she appeared to be inside but he couldn't be sure and no other details about the snap. What Snapchat can and can't do to help find Mollie Tibbetts
Local hardware store vandalized

July 19-
Dalton sent good morning text, but it wasn't answered
Jake sent a message asking if she needed ride to work, no answer.
Child care center called Jack in the afternoon looking for Mollie.
Jack called her family.
Mollie's mother called LE to report her daughter missing

Possible facts:

Dave Collum: police interviewed him, he was on Mollie's running path. He stated Mollie regularly ran by his home, he didn't see her on the night of July 18th, but stated LE told him she had run by his home. He also states that LE told him Mollie made it home and was studying "late into the evening" on her computer.
Mother of missing Iowa college student recounts last text she sent to daughter

Roger Thompson: says he saw Mollie that night, walking nonchalant.
Neighbor offers new testimony about the night Mollie Tibbetts disappeared

Rob Tibbetts: Feels someone may have misinterpreted relationship and Mollie is still with that person.

WC- Previous hog farmer, has been questioned by FBI, home and land searched, cellphone confiscated for 24 hours, 2 previous stalking violations. (as per Heavy.com)

Nate Howood: stated he saw Molly running west on Pershing Drive at 7:30pm.
Mother of missing Iowa student Mollie Tibbetts says she does not believe she returned home | Daily Mail Online

General Timeline:
Mollie last seen at 7:30pm 7/18
Brother tried to contact at 7:30am 7/19
that : a 12 hour window. Sometime between 7:30pm on 7/18 and 7:30am 7/19 is when she went missing. Let's see if we can fill in those hours somehow.

If you'd like me to add anything, let me know.

Last edited:
does anyone have the article(s) handy regarding the burglary in the neighborhood right before mollie went missing? i cant find it. does it say what was stolen/give a good description. same question for the hardware store.

if its possible these are connected, may help to look at each scenario on its own but next to each other. not sure what im looking for but can start by looking.

Was it raining that evening or the following morning? If so, how was the visibility?

This sounds like my childhood. I also walked alone, numerous times between 8 and 11 years old a half mile between my 2 aunts's houses passing taverns along the way, some with their doors wide open and patrons looking out. At home, my mother would send me outside and I would be gone morning, home for lunch and then gone in the afternoon starting at 6 years old. Never could we or never should we do this nowdays. I lived in an uppermidwest town of 40K people.
Crime has actually declined. True risk isn't greater than in the "old days" but the awareness as a result of media has amplified fear. MOO.

I lock my bedroom door even....esp after watching the story about the serial killer in California for years cased homes and came back at night after loosening a window or mapping out an entry..keep my gun handy too...

Guestwriter, I don't look my bedroom door but I'm with you. Especially if one has family to protect.
  • Home alarm
  • Guns available
  • My Belgian Malinois aka "the Maligator".

"My window's right there, facing the sidewalk and my tv's right there, so I'm sitting there and looking out the window and that's why I noticed her," said Thompson.

"This girl that was out walking by had the black shorts and a sports bra and tennis shoes and she had a telephone," he said. "I'm almost positive."

"She was just walking nonchalantly like nothing was bothering her, like nothing in the world," said Thompson.

"I don't know which way she went after she either had to go north or south, because she didn't come back the same direction," said Thompson.
Seems it was still daylight. Need to know what time it became dark. Strange that the reporter didn't ask the approximate time.

does anyone have the article(s) handy regarding the burglary in the neighborhood right before mollie went missing? i cant find it. does it say what was stolen/give a good description. same question for the hardware store.

if its possible these are connected, may help to look at each scenario on its own but next to each other. not sure what im looking for but can start by looking.
The burglary is on the police report for 7/16. It simply gives the address and states it was a burglary.

What was the reason she didn't have her car with her at the home?
Why didn't her mother become alarmed when she didn't show up for the car or for dinner?
Did anyone try to contact her the night of the 18th?
She shared a car with her brother. Brother texted her in the morning to see if she needed the car/a ride to work. Mom said it was not unusual for Mollie to not show up for dinner. Adding your last question to our group list.

I can’t think why an LE agent would call her mom to ask her if Mollie was in the house, or a house? RE agent made more sense to me, if maybe an agent thought it was being shown or on the market.

Several people speculated that LE may have determined that the Snap was taken at 9:45 pm and were trying to pin down "where." Like so many other things in this case, I don't know if there was ever a general consensus.

Possible facts:

Dave Collum: police interviewed him, he was on Mollie's running path. He stated Mollie regularly ran by his home, he didn't see her on the night of July 18th, but stated LE told him she had run by his home. He also states that LE told him Mollie made it home and was studying "late into the evening" on her computer.
Mother of missing Iowa college student recounts last text she sent to daughter

Roger Thompson: says he saw Mollie that night, walking nonchalant.

Rob Tibbetts: Feels someone may have misinterpreted relationship and Mollie is still with that person.

WC- Previous hog farmer, has been questioned by FBI, home and land searched, cellphone confiscated for 24 hours, 2 previous stalking violations. (as per Heavy.com)

If you'd like me to add anything, let me know.

Newbie here, hopefully this posts appropriately. But question:

Why does everyone keep saying the brother who dropped her off was the last person to see her? Should we include the individual who was reported in the Daily Mail article:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...etts-says-does-not-believe-returned-home.html
who as far as I can tell, is *one of the only* people (the only person?) who actually saw Mollie *jogging*? And in this article appears to be the last one who saw her on Pershing?

Last edited:
In a post where the OP deemed it odd that Mollie's Mum said she told Mollie and her brothers stories of her pregnancy (with them), I commented that we don't know the context, and related it to my own Mum telling me the story of day I was born, whenever I'm incapacitated with migraine. Soon multiple posts about migraines blew up the thread, and I just want to thank all the good people here for sharing their knowledge, ideas, and remedies -- albeit totally off topic. Cheers! (And apologies to the Mods)....

Any others?
Things we want to know:

1.What was the condition of the house? Door unlocked? Did she normally lock doors? Dogs? Shower used?
2. What time was the Snapchat photo taken?
3.Is the red shirt real evidence or not?
4. What route did Mollie jog that evening?
5. Who was also in that area?
6. Did the surveillance video provide any clues (parked vehicles, etc.)
7. Did LE find anything during their searches?
8. Who else did she communicate with that day/evening? Especially on Snapchat.
9. Who knew her housemates would be away that night?
10. When and where did her phone lose power?
11. What was her eyesight?
12. Did she run with contacts in?
13. How was she getting to work in the morning?
14. ho was the first person to enter the house after Mollie went missing?
15. How long were the dogs believed to have been left alone in the house? Mollie's BF mentioned that when he went into the house, the dogs had plenty of food and water.
16. Were the doors unlocked at the house when the first person entered?
17. Did anyone try to contact her the night of the 18th?
18. What time did Mollie normally leave for work in the morning?
19. Why do police think she was on her computer that night? (I leave mine on for days at a time)
20. Did she ever wear her armband to listen to music while doing homework? (They’re not usually very comfortable, and it seems unlikely she’d wear it for anything other than being outside)
21. Would she have taken the trash out to the curb that night? (Or have some other house chore/reason to be outside after her jog and before she let the dogs out)?
22. Which pair of Mollie's shoes were missing? Running sneakers or work sneakers?
23. Was there food in the West Des Moines house that Mollie could have chosen to eat for dinner rather than going to her mom's house?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member