Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #18

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, that would contradict all sources so far about her jogging time and how she wouldn’t run in the dark. What would make her do something she never does? The balance of probability is against it.
I don’t think she jogged later on, we know that she went because of witness statements. I’m saying that she may have also left the house at a later hour, after the jog. That’s why I asked.

In the most recent interview I was struck by MT's mother saying she wants to one day know her daughter's children. On one level I understand it, but imagine if I were in a similar situation, my main thought would be wanting to see my own child again, if that makes sense. It seemed slightly unusual and could it be that she is appealing to a specific person who has grandchildren?
I am glad I am not the only one who thought that was an odd comment. Even odder, to me, saying that a conversation she has with Mollie often is about when she was pregnant with Mollie and her brothers. I talk to my daughter daily - and that is something I don't think we have ever talked about. Just a little strange, IMO.

Being an avid jogger all of my life. I live in Southern CA and am a big chicken I never would have jogged that rural road by myself especially at night much less in a populated area at night. Maybe with a friend and big dogs. I never leave anywhere without my pepper spray. Mollie must be a brave girl. Kids today just too free and easy no worries in the world they don’t believe there are bad people in this world. I even tell my adult sons that and they laugh at me.
I feel the same. A dog is a great idea if you cannot find a friend. It also underscores letting someone know I am leaving and I will be back at this time. I have traveled extensively for work and it is definitely not chicken but very smark. I had a cabbie to call me late at night from a business card from the day pick-up prior. I did not answer but simply put his name in and you would not believe the records I found. I have the same rules for my giant sons as well.

I noticed that too. Maybe it's just her way of coping.
But then again it could have been a slip of the tongue and she knows Mollie left with someone, maybe not expecting how it ended up at this point, but left with someone.
Or maybe the slip was intentional, for the perp to hear. kwim?
I for one appreciate that Mum is unfiltered! IMO, she's given us the best details! (Dad reportedly works in Marketing, and a consummate professional-- even at his worst moment).

LE has confirmed precious few details re: MT's disappearance. My guess is they think it would compromise their investigation and they don't want to tip their hand to the perp, if she's been abducted. I know every case is unique, but I can't help comparing MT's case to that of Hannah Graham...IMO, LE in the HG case did a masterful job of getting the needed info out to the public quickly, releasing video they had, identifying the POI and asking for the public's help, etc., and as result, there was a quick arrest and a serial killer was taken off the streets before he could kill anybody else. Again, the circumstances here are very different, so I am not going to second-guess LE's strategy as they know a WHOLE lot more than we do and they're the experts. In the HG case they had video evidence that helped them...I'm wondering how much video LE has been able to gather of MT from cameras downtown that night. Anyway, the HG investigation was one of the most impressive examples of "policing" I have ever seen. Here's a link to that case timeline if you're interested:
Timeline: The search for Hannah Graham
In this case did he ever admit to it

Thanks @i'm someone - I'm interested in reading about her case (I'm also from NY)

I didn't want to draw away from Mollie's thread, but dang, there is only a small window of time to really find someone, and even though they appear to be investigating this more than most disappearances it's mind boggling this girl is still missing. I hate to point at any other case that has a less than positive outcome, but the Abby and Libby case also is still not solved, and they still are withholding information. Sometimes I think it's a disservice when the investigators withhold everything. Especially when things are never solved. How long will they withhold? In the case of a student from my hometown, they never released any information and it's been a decade and not only was no one charged in her case, I don't even think anyone is looking anymore.
Surely the police can appreciate how frustrating it is even to the people close by to hear "Call if you have any information" and yet, no one knows what exactly they are fishing for. Seems a huge use of resources to comb through a mountain of tips when they could just say or hint about what they are looking for.

Without named suspect(s), POI's, a verified timeline, last known ping location, what is there really to sleuth in this case? You could drop me into Brooklyn, IA tomorrow and I would have nowhere to look first, I would stop in the Front Street Tap just to see what the local vibe is. The press, family, and friends seem to be in the same boat and that is what I find so odd. Do they need to hire their own investigator?

If Friday's press conference even happens what needs to be said that keeps the case going?

Found Mollie?
Arrest made?
POI named
Suspect named
Timeline released
Vehicle description
Change in the reward structure

I have no faith at this point that anyone gets any of the above on Friday.......

After over 3 weeks a BOLO, or any kind of descriptions are going to be a wild goose chase.

Yeah, but in instances like this the media doesn't typically use words like "take over" unless that's what they mean. Sure, they will speculate ad nauseum and send you down a never-ending rabbit hole with purported "evidence", but they at least usually get the formalities correct. :D

Sure they do! Tuesday, FBI and state investigators took over the search, and authorities said it's beginning to appear she was abducted.

Boyfriend of missing Iowa college student cleared as suspect

I find the google roads somewhat elongated, and perhaps misleading compared to aerial view or timed route. The funeral home (on Central) is only a couple blocks from the high school, and this route also leads to residence of Mollie's Mum.

I thought that the last person to see her was a neighbor at Des Moines and Jackson. The satellite view also shows where the sidewalks are. If she chose to stay on sidewalks, she may have headed down Des Moines, turned left on Mills, left on North, then right into a subdivision on Clay Street. You can see that Clay street ends with a sidewalk connects to Bear Drive. It looks like it's a sidewalk that might have been put in place to facilitate walking to the high school from these residential areas. Here are some screenshots of this satellite view.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-08-08 at 5.42.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-08-08 at 5.42.30 PM.png
    987.7 KB · Views: 36
  • Screen Shot 2018-08-08 at 5.42.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-08-08 at 5.42.07 PM.png
    383 KB · Views: 34
MOO is that Molly did her homework before her jog. Put the dogs down with water in the basement. Left to go for her jog. Was on her way to her mothers home to shower, eat and sleep then drive the car to her job in the morning. Maybe she would stop to let the dogs out before going onto work. Nothing to back that up. Just my humble opinion.

Wouldn't she at least take her wallet with her driver's license along on her jog if that was her plan?

Sarah The Princess you can’t post reddit information here the thread is going to get locked indefinitely. It is against Websleuths rules to post reddit and social media information.

It was noted by LC that her workout clothes are not accounted for in her Daily mail interview. Of course no one can really confirm if they are a reputable source or not.

Yep, you are right. Here's what it says:
"Mollie's mom told DailyMail.com that all the items and clothes she took on her run have never been located.

These include her Fitbit, a gold-colored iPhone 7s in a protective case, some white earbuds and an armband pouch she used to hold the handset while she ran.

Her dark colored running shorts, pink sports top and running shoes are also yet to be found despite extensive searches of Brooklyn and the surrounding county."

I'm still gonna hold out probably just out of stubbornness. I want to see something in quotes. Thanks though.

Based on the location of three of those who claim to be eyewitnesses to Mollie walking past their homes, the shortest route takes approximately 23 minutes to walk the 1.2 miles between the dog-sitting location and her mom's house.

mollie route.png

It was noted by LC that her workout clothes are not accounted for in her Daily mail interview. Of course no one can really confirm if they are a reputable source or not.
Generally the Daily Mail regurgitates and rewrites stories from other sources, while adding in sensational headlines. They have their own reporting on this case, so I'm more inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt than I otherwise would.

In the most recent interview I was struck by MT's mother saying she wants to one day know her daughter's children. On one level I understand it, but imagine if I were in a similar situation, my main thought would be wanting to see my own child again, if that makes sense. It seemed slightly unusual and could it be that she is appealing to a specific person who has grandchildren?
Seems case is a master class in odd bits.

The purported digital evidence of her having returned, has me open to the possibility of her leaving a second time, perhaps to go to her mother’s house. I don’t think she went for a second jog per se, just may have left the house again. The whole thing makes a lot more sense to me if she was abducted on her jog, I’m simply allowing for that not to have happened if there is proof she made it back.
I read an article yesterday, I cannot remember the source, but I believe it was from AP?
Anyhow, they had a quote from the neighbor who said that LE told him Mollie made it back home from her jog that evening. LE won't confirm timelines in the press, but supposing she did make it home from her jog, I think it's possible she was abducted while walking to her mom's for dinner & to pick up the car that evening.

I don't want to be morbid, because I sincerely hope they find Mollie alive and well. But I keep going back to the Hannah Graham case, and how after they found her body, people in the area remembered seeing turkey vultures circling the location where she was found. These are things you don't really think about when you live in a rural area because there are always dead animals and rodents around which beckon the vultures, but hopefully people in the Brooklyn area are keeping their eyes peeled for this sort of thing as well.

I am glad I am not the only one who thought that was an odd comment. Even odder, to me, saying that a conversation she has with Mollie often is about when she was pregnant with Mollie and her brothers. I talk to my daughter daily - and that is something I don't think we have ever talked about. Just a little strange, IMO.
I know other moms who do that so I don’t think it’s all that odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolofeist