Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #18

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Couldn't that also mean that they have been on the scene from the onset, but that they didn't have jurisdictional justification until the evidence warranted it?
That’s also true, but I think those questions would have been asked by the media and addressed by LE if the FBI “taking over the investigation” was because they had jurisdiction for some reason. I think it’s simply because they are much better equipped to take the lead, and local LE has deferred to their expertise.

I agree, also as I struggle through all the posts to catch up, it is very frustrating to read so many posts about WC criticizing his appearance, mental health, intelligence, and past history. It is not productive and makes it impossible to catch up and discuss what is actually important to this case.
He has been interviewed five times by LE so therefore I believe he is important to this case whatever it is.

Ok. But say it happened when it was dark, say after 10, does that change anything for you?
I'm not sure how to answer because I think she was abducted on her jog on her way to her mothers house. I do know the dogs were put away<modsnipped- no link for assertion> Also as stated above the two saw her on her jog earlier. What would it change for you and how would you get her going on a second jog at 10 in darkness which is something she never did.

Last edited by a moderator:
That’s also true, but I think those questions would have been asked by the media and addressed by LE if the FBI “taking over the investigation” was because they had jurisdiction for some reason. I think it’s simpky because they are much better equipped to take the lead, and local LE has deferred to their expertise.

Yeah, but in instances like this the media doesn't typically use words like "take over" unless that's what they mean. Sure, they will speculate ad nauseum and send you down a never-ending rabbit hole with purported "evidence", but they at least usually get the formalities correct. :D

Opinion - I believe Mollie was on her way to her Mom's to eat and take the car back to her place after eating. I believe she was taken either willingly or unwillingly in the High School area.

1. Mollie disappeared some time between her pre-dinner jog and her morning routine.
or
2. If the SC was at the Jack's residence then she disappeared some time between that SC and her morning routine.
or
3. If her "late night" homework actions are verified via IP address then she disappeared sometime between her homework and her morning routine.
----------
Were there any other time frames during which she could have disappeared?
Did her neighbor indicate he saw her run by his house? I have always read this as he saw her returning past his house. I am not sure but this helps if correctly reported. Frankly, if she runs every day, it might be hard for eyewitnesses to know which day.

I'm not sure how to answer because I think she was abducted on her jog on her way to her mothers house. I do know the dogs were put away<modsnipped> Also as stated above the two saw her on her jog earlier. What would it change for you and how would you get her going on a second jog at 10 in darkness which is something she never did.
The purported digital evidence of her having returned, has me open to the possibility of her leaving a second time, perhaps to go to her mother’s house. I don’t think she went for a second jog per se, just may have left the house again. The whole thing makes a lot more sense to me if she was abducted on her jog, I’m simply allowing for that not to have happened if there is proof she made it back.

Mr. Tibbetts' reaction time/travel time/arrival in Brooklyn from CA, seems very quick.
This raises the question, was there something Mollie mentioned to him in that three hour call that was alarming to him, so that he was already scouting for flights even before he heard she was missing?
Didn't he also say "Mollie's life was a mess," in the PC?

Authorities said Tibbetts may have returned home to do homework after her jog, meaning she did not disappear away from home.

So this is still a may have not a for sure?

Authorities said Tibbetts may have returned home to do homework after her jog, meaning she did not disappear away from home.

So this is still a may have not a for sure?

LE has confirmed precious few details re: MT's disappearance. My guess is they think it would compromise their investigation and they don't want to tip their hand to the perp, if she's been abducted. I know every case is unique, but I can't help comparing MT's case to that of Hannah Graham...IMO, LE in the HG case did a masterful job of getting the needed info out to the public quickly, releasing video they had, identifying the POI and asking for the public's help, etc., and as result, there was a quick arrest and a serial killer was taken off the streets before he could kill anybody else. Again, the circumstances here are very different, so I am not going to second-guess LE's strategy as they know a WHOLE lot more than we do and they're the experts. In the HG case they had video evidence that helped them...I'm wondering how much video LE has been able to gather of MT from cameras downtown that night. Anyway, the HG investigation was one of the most impressive examples of "policing" I have ever seen. Here's a link to that case timeline if you're interested:
Timeline: The search for Hannah Graham

I have not found any mention that Mollie's jogging outfit is missing. Only her fitbit and phone.

I think it ties in with the timeline LE won't release ie, was she doing homework, was she ready for work the next morning. The only mention of her jogging outfit is that it's what she was last seen wearing. If someone can find a link that says her jogging outfit is missing I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

True, but my concern is that they were on this case seemingly from the get-go. Same day, IIRC, and that is certainly unusual.

ETA: the chances of this being sex trafficking, by default and by situational context, is slim to none, so I don't see why some folks always posit this.

JMO.
They did the exact same thing when AH was abducted.

<mod changed to initials>

Here she is, sorry it was 1998 she wen missing(1996 has a significance totally unrelated for me).
NY - NY - Kristine Kupka, 28, pregnant, Brooklyn, 24 Oct 1998

Thanks for sharing and sorry there has been no resolution.

I sometimes wonder if certain people have friends in high places that prevent things like a search warrant from being issued. It does sound real fishy and will pick a day in future to read up about that case.

I have relatives in Brooklyn so know the area well. Miss seeing the rings of Polish Kielbasa hanging from the ceilings of the local stores and being able to buy a hot Knish with mustard from a street vendor. :)

I hate to seem like I am harping on the search warrants, but bear with me. A classmate of mine went missing in 1996, and her family and friends knew for a fact the last person she saw was her BF, he admitted he was the last one to see her, he had motive to make her disappear, and she has never been found. Yet even with credible information the police were denied a search warrant, and never even took the guy in for questioning! She remains missing. I always think if they would have just granted a search warrant, she might not still be missing. Her case is on this site, and I can provide a link if it's allowed.
In this case, they got a search warrant for a place they didn't really need one, and didn't get one for a place they really should have. It would be really horrible if 20 years were to pass and one little "should have" could have made a difference.

I'm so sorry to know that your classmate remains missing. Awful. Nonetheless, it's important to respect both your investigating law enforcement, and the 4th amendment: The Fourth Amendment requires not only that warrants be supported by probable cause offered by a sworn police officer, but it also requires that a warrant" particularly" describe the person or place to be searched or seized. In the eyes of the law, there was no cause to search the BF in all these years. I hope someday your friend is found.

Ok. But say it happened when it was dark, say after 10, does that change anything for you?

Well, that would contradict all sources so far about her jogging time and how she wouldn’t run in the dark. What would make her do something she never does? What do you suggest would make her do something so out of character? The balance of probability is against it with no proof for it.

I have not found any mention that Mollie's jogging outfit is missing. Only her fitbit and phone.

I think it ties in with the timeline LE won't release ie, was she doing homework, was she ready for work the next morning. The only mention of her jogging outfit is that it's what she was last seen wearing. If someone can find a link that says her jogging outfit is missing I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

It was noted by LC that her workout clothes are not accounted for in her Daily mail interview. Of course no one can really confirm if they are a reputable source or not.

Her mother said her jogging outfit was missing in her Daily Mail interview.

I still don't think FBI involvement from early on is unusual. The town had no police force, it used a shared sheriff's department. The FBI will deploy resources according to need. If you're in a bigger city, you may already have manpower and equipment where you can handle an investigation yourself until you need specialized FBI labs or equipment. Many medium to large cities received significant homeland security grants where they have additional resources available to them and trained experts who can work on violent crimes without assistance from the FBI. Smaller communities need to call in assistance right away. The FBI has moved from purely a federal law enforcement agency to also helping fill in gaps in state and local preparedness.

I'm thinking that a cell tower dump might be useful, particularly in such a small town. LE could get the phone numbers of all the devices that pinged the cell towers in Brooklyn that night. It's a small town, roughly 1,400 people.

Mollie Tibbetts' disappearance thrusts Brooklyn, Iowa into spotlight

You also would also have to screen the digital traffic left by the many thousands of motorists and truckers passing 2.5 miles south of the town along I-80 in a 10 hour span.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolofeist