Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #20

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all... longtime reader. Very seldom to I post.
IMHO The locals do not want to believe it is one of their own. I am from a small town in south georgia where 13 years ago a teacher disappeared into thin air. “Nobody” knew anything... yes there was talk of who and how, but very little evidence could be found. AND add in the fact that maybe a prominent family in the community MIGHT be involved... lips sealed tight. Fast forward 12/13 years, somebody decided to spill the beans. Case solved. Suspects arrested.
I have a feeling that the locals know something. Maybe not the entire story. Maybe just bits and pieces.
My prayer is that it will not take 13 years to find out what happened to mollie.
A local is a possibility. He may have been watching her run for quite some time and the recent events in town gave him confidence to take her and hope that the public pins it on a likely outsider.

help me please if you can..
I am searching on google for the live tv interview very recently with Jack Dalton, Laura Calderwood and Ron Tibbets. It was really good and fairly long. DJ said MT was staying with him because her bedroom at her Moms home has an A/C that doesn't work well and it was very hot.

When I search google, all the print interviews are thrown in. I cannot remember the station that interviewed them but I am sure it was a local reporter, probably form Des Moines. All three sat together for the interview and I believe it was the first part of this week. Thanks in advance.:)

JMO The "dinner" issue is a nothingburger......I think MT did plan to jog to moms, eat brats, or nuke em if everyone else had eaten....probably on the run.....not sitting at a table with grace and linen...., pick up the cake ingredients and drive the car back to D's house, let the dogs out, study a bit (or bake the cake?) and go to bed. Someone abducted her before she got to mom's.........JMO

Considering it was the last texting between her mom and her, I think it's quite an issue. I'm sure her mom considers it precious.

This^^^^. Growing up in the Midwest, the late meal was always supper. Not sure about the rest of the country?

Ahhh. Growing up in New England, dinner was when you ate out at a decent restaurant or had a holiday (or formal) meal at home (e.g. Thanksgiving dinner). I know it is now changing, but it used to be all the kids had to be home for supper. If another kid told you they had to be home for dinner, you might ask if they had company or something!

I am searching on google for the live tv interview very recently with Jack Dalton, Laura Calderwood and Ron Tibbets. It was really good and fairly long. DJ said MT was staying with him because her bedroom at her Moms home has an A/C that doesn't work well and it was very hot.
It was on Fox News...

Are you using a smart phone? On mine, even with videos, I just go to the button that you use to either text or email a link, but instead click “copy.” From there I come to WS thread and hold the touch screen down, within the reply box until I see a “paste” option. I hope that makes sense.
Thank you. I am still looking. I am on my laptop now and I knew you could forward by email or share by twitter, etc. I didn't know you could paste and copy. Will try that. Thanks again.

It was on Fox News...
It was on Fox News...
Yay!!!! Your memory is awesome. I will try to find it now and post it. Thanks.

It was on Fox News...
I think it might have been Good Morning America

The cameras were not working next door at TIP I believe because of lightening. (is that right?) They are only open until 4:00. Do they normally have lights on at night there? Were the lights out too? Was the parking lot completely dark?
If it was a lightning strike and the power did go out in the area, did dispatch send someone out to work on it? TIP is the local power company, correct? Perhaps they saw something unusual?

Last edited:
First off, THANK YOU again to the creator of this map. Absolutely fantastic.

The route here appears to begin at 7:30 PM and take her:

- W. Des Moines St. (JD's house) to W. Pershing Dr.
- W. Pershing Dr. to Jackson St.
- Turn left on Jackson St. at Casey's and down E. 2nd St.
- Last known sighting between 8-9 PM on E. 2nd St. heading towards Mills St. which is next to a field and kind of out there OR turning left on Williams St. and going back through neighborhoods

After that, there's nothing we know of. LE has searched heaviest near WC's property about 15 miles south which is further away from the home. Absolutely everything at this time points to her being taken (or leaving) on the run.

However, I'm wondering what her normal route even was. If she kept
Just a thought...

Casey's has an ATM. They usually have a camera near these. I believe LE got surveillance footage from Casey's. IIRC it wasn't mentioned that an ATM card was found with her other stuff. Could it be she ran up to use the ATM...and maybe even gotten a ride there from someone? LE would then have a time and footage of what she was wearing, confirming who saw what and when.

Google Maps

The cameras were not working next door at TIP I believe because of lightening. (is that right?) They are only open until 4:00. Do they normally have lights on at night there? Were the lights out too? Was the parking lot completely dark?
was it one camera or all cameras there? lightening may damage only one camera or the whole thing recording device included. I KNOW this could be. I KNOW cameras are replaced all over the place and called lightening damage and it will be one camera on a system, it also could be a whole system out.

They would have a generator - pretty sure. I would imagine they would have to come in during an outage (to get the trucks, tools, answer phones, etc.) so they have to have power.

Ahhh. Growing up in New England, dinner was when you ate out at a decent restaurant or had a holiday (or formal) meal at home (e.g. Thanksgiving dinner). I know it is now changing, but it used to be all the kids had to be home for supper. If another kid told you they had to be home for dinner, you might ask if they had company or something!
LOL, I used to take care of elderly people in their homes when I was in college. I would say, at supper time, "What do you want for dinner?" and every one of them here would say "Dinner? I ate dinner hours ago!" Then they'd want to know what time it is and be all confused. Here dinner=lunch, and I try not to make that error.

I see your point, but I think the stereotypes of small towns are getting in the way. If she ended up in any car, familiar or notably unfamiliar, the car and some connecting point between its driver and Mollie were equally likely to be noticed. Like the people who saw her jogging, someone would have seen her getting in a car or interacting with someone along her journey. Since no one did and no one seems to have noticed her on a return jog, I think she was farther out from all the in town and close to home areas. That to me makes it plausible that it was a stranger abduction. It may not have been, but I think the area in which she was seen and the BF's house are not really part of this.

I feel you, and I think your rationale is exactly right.

I hope it didn't come across like I was suggesting a stranger abduction wasn't a possibility, because I think it definitely is. I think it's probably the second-most likely scenario after an acquaintance being involved.

As far as the location of whatever happened, I have absolutely no idea. Could have been at or near the house, could have been quite a distance away. I lean slightly towards it happening at or close to the house, but could see it either way.

Is Mollie's case atypical of a sex-trafficking abduction? Either due to her age, the location from which she went missing, etc? For instance, does that usually happen in cities or might Brooklyn's proximity to I80 have made it an ideal spot? Do the girls who get abducted for this purpose usually start a relationship with someone voluntarily and then get abducted, or is it often a snatched-out-of-nowhere and disappear scenario?

The issues, of course, are that if she WAS abducted, it sounds most likely occurred during daylight and with no apparent signs or witnesses to a struggle...difficult to imagine unless a gun was involved. It would also be extremely coincidental for a random abduction to occur on JUST the night when Mollie is staying alone.

Seems to me the Coop would have cameras covering the entire Coop area. Most Elec Coops have all kinds of equipment in the buildings on the property which could be tempting to some folks. I'm not saying anything about someone who might want to try to steal something from the Coop -- just saying that the equipment in those building is valuable and expensive to replace -- that's why I would assume they have cameras.
Just a thought.

DreamWarrior66 said

"Plus her social media posts indicate some mental instability, hinting about depression/suicide, possible lack/waning feelings towards her bf, etc. Suicide seemed possible in the beginning. Not now because they would've found her by now, but this also makes it more likely she could've sought attention from someone else."

I took her SM a different way. I did see signs of her lack of confidence and unassuredness but I did not see depression. It could be that I too have a 20 year old daughter and was also once a 20 year old female. That age is one of the toughest following puberty. You are no longer a "kid" and are expected to start finding your way in life with career, future etc and frankly all this at a time when you are not really prepared to do so. It takes life experiences to help direct you to a path that is right for you. So you can say ANY 20 year old male or female lacks confidence and second guesses their direction.

I never once considered suicide with her. I know it is very common these days especially with young people but there was nothing I saw on all her SM or what I've read about her to make me believe she was depressed to the point of taking her life. I believe her mother is also a shrink so she of all people would have been aware of this because depression usually arrises in mid-teens if one is prone to it. She also had a very close relationship with her dad especially and close to her brothers. I believe they would have been aware of this if it was a possibility and would have shared that with authorities. I also believe if it was a fear of her parents you would have known that through their press conferences especially from her fully trained mom who would be reaching out to her in a very tender and nurturing way being sympathetic to her plight. Also her fear of what state of mind she was in. By all accounts her mother is absolutely in control, just a mom wanting her daughter back not fearing in fact her daughter taking her own life.

Having said all that I am going to add something I am aware of on a personal level that may appear to contradict what I just said. I took 2 years of psych in high school and 4 at college level even though I came out of college with a Business/Marketing degree. It may surprise people to know that many people who in fact pursue a psychology degree have their own mental health issues. That is the reason they got into the field. I have in fact met very unstable people who completed their degree and are now practicing in the field at some capacity.

The funniest one though is not someone I knew personally but someone my husband dated. She was a very well sought after psychologist in our area and had a thriving practice. I have met her once or twice but I do not know her. Hubby told me stories of things that happened in their relationship that just made you go WOW, are you kidding me. He said she told him the same thing that shrinks and psychologists as a hole are some of the craziest people you will ever know and that they all have their OWN shrinks. ROFL... It is not to say that because someone has some form of mental illness, personality disorders etc they can not be effective in their field. On the contrary, I think their personal experience probably assists them in helping others to explore different ways of coping or overcoming whatever personal struggles they are seeking help for. I just find it ironic therefore amusing.

Last edited:

When I search google, all the print interviews are thrown in. I cannot remember the station that interviewed them but I am sure it was a local reporter, probably form Des Moines. All three sat together for the interview and I believe it was the first part of this week. Thanks in advance.:)

That rings a bell, possibly in the local press, "Mercury..". Sorry to not remember better, for now.

Seems to me the Coop would have cameras covering the entire Coop area. Most Elec Coops have all kinds of equipment in the buildings on the property which could be tempting to some folks. I'm not saying anything about someone who might want to try to steal something from the Coop -- just saying that the equipment in those building is valuable and expensive to replace -- that's why I would assume they have cameras.
Just a thought.
Yes, ours has cameras everywhere! And alarms. Inside, outside, all over the yard, garages, substations, everywhere. And they are manned 24/7 by a outside service. We all also able to view all of the cameras from computers or our phones. Copper theft is a massive problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member