Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #20

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think everyone needs to let go of the notion that she left voluntarily.

1. There's no way a 20-year-old college student has enough money saved up to survive very long.
2. She would have done at least some Google research about where to go, etc., and police would know.
3. If she had phone or electronic contact beforehand with some other suitor, that would be known to police. If there was another suitor, they for sure would have had at least some prior communication that can be tracked.
4. If she was gone willingly, she would have logged into her social media by now -- and police would know. No young person that age is not going to check social media to at least see what people are saying about her disappearance.
5. What could possibly be a motive for her wanting to run off, if not another suitor? There's no debt problem, no family problem, no crime to run from, nothing like that.

Voluntarily leaving in this case just makes no sense at all.
You need to distinguish between leaving voluntarily (IMO the only plausible scenario) and remaining missing.

(On a light note for a second, I got a giggle out of a post on a couple threads ago...I was saying how I think I’m in the minority as far as having a very high hinky meter reading on WC. Well, a poster responded, maybe Kapua or whiteorchids, saying “You are in the majority.” Well looking back at that post, seems I was the only one who liked it hahaha... Meaning, I really must be in the minority, since nobody liked that post LOL.)

(ETA: so many possibilities here...again IMO, SA motive seems the most likely. Female jogger alone. Not to mention other cases I’m reminded of that keep popping up in my head for whatever reason (upstream I posted 10 examples of cases I’ve referenced here so far while brainstorming, and that didnt even include others I forgot to mention like Kathlynn Sheperd, others...). But this doesn’t necessarily mean it will turn out the same as those cases (SA). We have seen so many unexpected twists and turns here on WS. I never take anything for granted here. Just when you think....just like in Joleen Cummings case for example...or Noelle Paquette...)

Last edited:
LE could be working hard and eliminated lots of people a d theories and still not know how to find her. No one can say we have not seen that happen too many times. They could even make an arrest and unless they get a confession, still not find her. Look at poor Stacey Peterson...I know he is not in prison for her murder but he most certainly killed her and he will never say where she is. Same with Natalee Holloway. Or they could have eliminated everyone she had contact with and be left with very little. She may know lots of people she has never texted, etc...if no digital trail..and no confession, .then what?

1. There's no way a 20-year-old college student has enough money saved up to survive very long.
2. She would have done at least some Google research about where to go, etc., and police would know.
3. If she had phone or electronic contact beforehand with some other suitor, that would be known to police. If there was another suitor, they for sure would have had at least some prior communication that can be tracked.
4. If she was gone willingly, she would have logged into her social media by now -- and police would know. No young person that age is not going to check social media to at least see what people are saying about her disappearance.
5. What could possibly be a motive for her wanting to run off, if not another suitor? There's no debt problem, no family problem, no crime to run from, nothing like that.

I know it's been clarified ad nauseum but I think there may still be some confusion between her initially leaving voluntarily with someone and then meeting foul play vs her voluntarily disappearing completely on her own. I am doubtful many, if any, are still contemplating the latter. But, IMO it is very likely she left with someone known to her. MOO.

After three weeks I finally have a theory -
One or both of Mollie's devices led LE to the pig farm.
They were disposed/hidden there by someone who has access or is familiar with the property.
snipped for focus
I have not seen that posted or reported as a fact. The devices may or may not have anything to do with the farm. They may simply want to rule out nearby people with a history. If the phone pinged in that area, it may or may not be accurate... if accurate the phone may simply have been passing by that area and it may or may not have been with her.

How about... "Hey M, Want to see some baby pigs? Newborns just born today...yeah... come on get in...sure, I'll take you to your mom's after..."
Totally Plausible IMO. Newborn piglets (newborn any critter) are soooo cute, an elevated, local, young adult version of 'can you help me find my lost puppy' that is such a timeworn ruse because it's so effective (playing on someone's sweet, caring nature).

checking in..

just one thing kinda nags at me and that is the post about her belonging in Brooklyn NYC and not Brooklyn IA,

sounds like something that could have been said to her.

to lure her..it just bugs me I can't fully explain. MOO

That is a sentimental and whimsical thought, is it not? Knowing that Mollie performed on stage in plays during high school may have led her to have a bit of longing for the limelight. Maybe she weighed the options and chose Psychology instead of theatre. Smart decision.

I hear what you are saying though. Was this her idea or was someone making impressions on her to pull her away from her family, relationships, and current life goals?
I have some very talented dancers and musicians in my family life and even with the best education and opportunities these positions are very competitive and scarce.
jmo

He did not claim that. His original statement was that after he heard she was missing he figured out it was likely the same girl that jogs down his street regularly and he thinks he saw her that night.
He also apparently told investigators that he " dreaded" he might be the last one to see her, that's different from saying "I was the last person to see her alive."

Imo. I don’t think it was a friend. And I don’t believe she will be found until someone happens across her. It’s sad.

The DOJ, the agency in charge of the FBI has put much stronger procedures in place to limit contact between fbi employees and the media.

It is doj reaction to the tsunami of leaks surrounding Director Comey.

Although I have read state and local procedures that indicate media release of info for help, the non information might well be a new and much more stringent relationship with the press. As a person who dealt with media, and found them useful most if the time, I can’t imagine any other reason for le to remain so silent.

In the majority of missing person's and murder cases that I have seen over the last five years, LE remains tight lipped.

There was a great article I found that I can find again but it really explained why and how mistakes in the past led them to be unable to confirm a suspect was telling the truth or was the culrpit, when confessing or accidentally incriminating themselves, because crucial info had been released to the public.

I don't have an answer to your question but it has struck me as odd. As tight lipped as LE has been on this case it seems unlikely that they would divulge this much info to him, unless it was a tactic to get info. I still feel she was taken on the run, it just makes the most sense to me. But time will tell. Hopefully there will be more details released at the PC on Monday.

Thank you so much for the map, Jennifermn. It's good to know what you think, especially having gone through the process of making it, based on what's considered plausibly true.

Someone asked where people in Brooklyn go shopping...which is kinda funny.

Norman Rockwell towns really do not exist anymore. First radio, then TV, then cable, then the internet has tied everyone together tighter.

In Brooklyn Iowa you can easily see the fashion in Malibu CA, then order it on Amazon. I may have outdoor toilets but I get all my shoes off Amazon. Even if you want something illicit, you can order it online.

Now speech is something else. I hear 'Git outta here' all the time. And 'Is the crick good for fishin today?'.

You say big city folk are sophisticated, they see 'Hamilton'. We drove the horse and buggy to Des Moines the other day to see Hamilton there.

Is that clear, Burr, Sir?

Did you mean to quote my post?

I get what you're saying, but I don't see how it relates? Maybe I'm just dense, sorry.

I was on this website years ago and just returned due to this case. I apologize in advance if this was already discussed but the timeline has me a bit confused. So brother drops her off at house around 530, probably grabbed something to eat feed dogs etc. then off for a run. Text mom about dinner around 730ish? Probably while on the run. But guy comes forward seeing her around 8pm passing his house. So now it’s kind of late for dinner if that sighting is true. At 47 I would totally crash my mom’s house for dinner sweaty and all but being the mom of a 20 year old myself I’m sure that wasn’t the plan. Being there was no sign of struggle at the house I am pretty sure she ended up missing on this run sometime after 8pm based on witnesses.

At this point I don't think she's left voluntarily. But...Ivy Merck.

I have not seen that posted or reported as a fact. The devices may or may not have anything to do with the farm. They may simply want to rule out nearby people with a history. If the phone pinged in that area, it may or may not be accurate... if accurate the phone may simply have been passing by that area and it may or may not have been with her.
The red shirt that might have been found and may or may not have been relevant might be a reason too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaximusWolff