Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #20

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like everything has gone quiet in the last few days. No new statements from family or LE, no big news on increase in reward fund leads me to believe they are on the verge of a break and may also know she is no longer with us. Is it possible someone confessed?
It may be possible that LE is very busy following leads and reports to media interrupt the investigation.

I

I don’t recall anyone making a jab at any current FBI agent or LE working on this particular case in these threads. If your referring to me because I said I lost faith in FBI that’s my own personal opinion. Only some not all FBI agents. Someone posted a msm about a former FBI profiler not someone working on Mollies case. Im entitled to have my opinions. Im presently married to a retired LE officer my BIL is a current Sergeant in a local department. My ex fiancé is a retired assistant Sheriff in Oakland. I completely respect law enforcement and everything they do. They work their rear ends off to save the lives of others.

I think that was me and I posted it not to trash the FBI but to point out that I believe she misspoke. She is not on this case only doing an interview with some news outlet. I happen to think that those are not helpful in cases because inevitably many people watching will get the wrong impression and believe the FBI in THIS case said XYandZ.

I believe the FBI in THIS case has acted very professionally. I know it is tough not getting news on this case because we all want it solved, however, I know the less WE know the better the case is moving forward on it's own. They do not need the public for answers as they are following their own investigation with whatever evidence they do have. I'm sure if they do need help from the public they will ask for it. Also, I am very glad they are involved here because the local LE is certainly at a disadvantage when it comes to resources available. It's a no brainer that the FBI has access to the best when it comes to methodologies and equipment they may need to resolve this case as well as experience.

As far as concurring about losing faith in the FBI by responding to the post I am responded as I did about the leadership both past and present and I agree that politics should not even enter the dominion of the FBI because they are supposed to be for the benefit of all American's. Hence someone's criticism of them and my concurrence because the HIGHER UPS have crossed that line. Nothing that has or will have any effect on field agents doing the jobs that they do. Perhaps it was irrelevent and inappropriate to be brought up here but when I read it I chuckled and agreed with the poster because it is a mark against them that they DO have to overcome. Their problem to solve not ours.

One of my best friend's is the chief of police. I am an avid supporter of LE. I was raised to respect them and to listen to and follow their authority. I am almost 60 years old and still live by that premise. I have raised my children to respect and obey them and now my grandchildren too as well. Being in LE especially these days is one of the toughest jobs in the country. It infuriates me when my fellow Americans openly criticize or disrespect our police officers. I have gotten into many an argument with friends for them criticizing the police or accusing them of being biased etc. I am a 100% advocate and everyone that knows me understands that.

Last edited:
when I was a bit younger than Mollie I willingly got into a car with a man that said he would give me a lift. It was really hot and I had been waiting for a bus with groceries for a long time and I just wanted to get home.

I dont know why I got in.. the moment I did he drove the wrong way. The car was rigged so I couldn't escape, but I did...for the life of me I will never know why I got in that car.

years of hitch hiking with friends around our neighborhood, I don't know , just a moment of WRONG.

He was going to rape and murder me, he told me so. I broke his nose, he tried to run me over..I got away.

just a split second of weakness. MOO

I was on this website years ago and just returned due to this case. I apologize in advance if this was already discussed but the timeline has me a bit confused. So brother drops her off at house around 530, probably grabbed something to eat feed dogs etc. then off for a run. Text mom about dinner around 730ish? Probably while on the run. But guy comes forward seeing her around 8pm passing his house. So now it’s kind of late for dinner if that sighting is true. At 47 I would totally crash my mom’s house for dinner sweaty and all but being the mom of a 20 year old myself I’m sure that wasn’t the plan. Being there was no sign of struggle at the house I am pretty sure she ended up missing on this run sometime after 8pm based on witnesses.

She went for her run between 7:30 and 7:45 pm. Which many of us take to mean she left during that time period.

I believe she texted her mom before the run. As a person who jogs, I can't text and jog. Impossible for me.

That is interesting that even local law enforcement may be in the dark!
I wonder why?

Maybe there is some involvement of local LE (direct/indirect) in the disappearance or some fault (intentional/unintentional) in the early investigation by LE. This was an early theory when the large FBI and State contingent became clear.

In the majority of missing person's and murder cases that I have seen over the last five years, LE remains tight lipped.

There was a great article I found that I can find again but it really explained why and how mistakes in the past led them to be unable to confirm a suspect was telling the truth or was the culrpit, when confessing or accidentally incriminating themselves, because crucial info had been released to the public.

Right, and even then its on a case by case basis. In some cases, they may not have any witnesses or a solid timeline, so they release what they know in hopes that someone can fill in the blanks. In cases like this, they have obviously weighed the risk/reward of staying quiet and decided that the risk of compromising the investigation is greater than the potential reward of an amateur sleuth piecing together something the LE professionals could not.

when I was a bit younger than Mollie I willingly got into a car with a man that said he would give me a lift. It was really hot and I had been waiting for a bus with groceries for a long time and I just wanted to get home.

I dont know why I got in.. the moment I did he drove the wrong way. The car was rigged so I couldn't escape, but I did...for the life of me I will never know why I got in that car.

years of hitch hiking with friends around our neighborhood, I don't know , just a moment of WRONG.

He was going to rape and murder me, he told me so. I broke his nose, he tried to run me over..I got away.

just a split second of weakness. MOO

How did you get out of the car?

Good for you!!! I hope he was caught!

Not arguing with you, but it's been three weeks and no arrest. How can he say that? What might be a possible explanation?

This is a very important point,imo. Because LE does have a responsibility imo to warn the public if they suspect an active predator operating, especially nearby (of course there are always predators among us that we don’t know about). They will sometimes release to the public, in order to help get information from the public a standard FBI profile, etc., should they suspect a (random) predator.
And as I mentioned before imo a big giveaway is if they say “the community must remain vigilant.” (If you ever hear that, it is NOT good, trust me).

So the fact that no active danger warning to the community possibly tells me that:

A) they have a poi under surveillance
B) do not suspect a random predator and/or suspect someone close to the victim, which is maybe or maybe not related to a motive of SA
C) they have no idea (yet) what the deal is (which in that case imo the possibility of a random predator still should be mentioned).

Any other possibilities?

Last edited:
I think everyone needs to let go of the notion that she left voluntarily.

1. There's no way a 20-year-old college student has enough money saved up to survive very long.
2. She would have done at least some Google research about where to go, etc., and police would know.
3. If she had phone or electronic contact beforehand with some other suitor, that would be known to police. If there was another suitor, they for sure would have had at least some prior communication that can be tracked.
4. If she was gone willingly, she would have logged into her social media by now -- and police would know. No young person that age is not going to check social media to at least see what people are saying about her disappearance.
5. What could possibly be a motive for her wanting to run off, if not another suitor? There's no debt problem, no family problem, no crime to run from, nothing like that.

Voluntarily leaving in this case just makes no sense at all.
I don't believe she permanently left voluntarily. I believe she voluntarily left with someone she knows, totally believing she would be back at BF's house before bedtime.

Right, and even then its on a case by case basis. In some cases, they may not have any witnesses or a solid timeline, so they release what they know in hopes that someone can fill in the blanks. In cases like this, they have obviously weighed the risk/reward of staying quiet and decided that the risk of compromising the investigation is greater than the potential reward of an amateur sleuth piecing together something the LE professionals could not.

Yeah and they've got hundreds of pros working this case. The though that an amateur could piece together what none of them can seems very remote.

Mollie and her brother shared a car. I wonder if Mollie had the car with her when she lived on campus. How did she get home from Iowa City? Or did she keep the car while at school?

4EC7655100000578-0-image-a-65_1533323800175.jpg

Caption:
This is the Silver Pontiac G6 Mollie shared with her brother Jake and would drive to work. She failed to reply to her brother's text on July 19 when he asked if she need a ride

LE has denied that there is an immediate risk to the community. If there were a heightened risk would they not be obligated to tell the community that? And when asked directly in that first LE press conference, he hesitated slightly then answered no. Not “we don’t know”, he denied it.

Well if that is the case and LE have denied any stranger danger for the community, then IMO, it would seem it has to be someone she knows. Investigations always start with the entire family
since they feel they know the victim best. In this case maybe her boyfriend since she was staying at a house owned by the brothers girlfriend It then fans out from there according to what they have learned in these interviews.

LE owes the public absolutely nothing when it comes to what their investigation has turned up . They do have a responsibility to WARN the community if they feel it is stranger danger. IMOO LE has all the information they need to solve this case or they would be asking the public for help. They just have to fit the pieces together.

They probably do not think it is a danger to the community because they know or suspect it id someone involved with the victim.

IMO This is good, these cases are the most likely ones to be solved. The worst is some crazy running from state to state just killing for the sake of killing.
When it is someone tied to victim , IMO, the question might be "Why Now".

While I respect the FBI and have the utmost confidence in them as a whole, it is very frustrating when ex FBI or retired FBI go on national television and give their input on cases that they have no direct knowledge or involvement in. They are forming opinions based on expertise, just as many do here on WS, but they are often being mistaken for having inside knowledge of the case. The "FBI' speaking out on fox news and the like do not have any inside info. MOO.

Being a sleuther on WS, that to me sounds a little like the pot calling the kettle black... since I'm absolutely no expert.

Does anybody know if WC polygraph was cleared or is it just an assumption due to the fbi profiler thinking its someone who knows her took her.

I believe it's likely that she did get into a car willingly, but I don't believe she went missing willingly. I think that's a big difference. If someone I know offers me a ride to the grocery store and I accept, that doesn't mean that I willing went with him/her out of town to a location nobody would ever expect me to be. MOO

Snipped by me.

Yes, exactly. I've seen no evidence that would rule out the possibility she was catfished or groomed by a predator. There would most likely be a trail in her private social media, but we haven't seen that. LE has.

How about... "Hey M, Want to see some baby pigs? Newborns just born today...yeah... come on get in...sure, I'll take you to your mom's after..."
Mollie is a smart girl and being an avid runner I’m sure she was fully aware of all the risks that comes along with a woman jogging alone at night. Shes young and we all know young folks think they know everything and us adults don’t. Im sure she was at a comfortable level running alone at night for years as she never had a bad encounter. I think that night she was running happy and carefree looking forward to her trip and the wedding. She let her guard down and she wasn’t prepared for what happened and therefore vulnerable to a bad person. I pray she’s found soon and alive.

She went for her run between 7:30 and 7:45 pm. Which many of us take to mean she left during that time period.

I believe she texted her mom before the run. As a person who jogs, I can't text and jog. Impossible for me.
Sure I get that. However if she left for a jog at 730 say and she normally took 45 minutes that could put her at her moms house after 9 for dinner just kind of odd. And with only a response of “ok” regarding dinner tells me someone else answered that text. Just my opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaximusWolff