Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #20

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I apologize if this has been addressed, but it’s been nagging at me. The brother said he messaged her about using the car (the night before I believe) and no response from Mollie...what I don’t understand is A.) is that typical that she doesn’t respond and no one follows up? I have 2 brothers and if we were sharing a car for the summer he would have at least messaged back and said “okay I’m taking it” or something. Maybe her brother did, but I guess I just think that would be something you would want an answer on and would follow up until you got one! B.)if she didn’t take the car how did she get to work; I’m doubting there is public transportation where she was; so did she walk, jog, ride a bike, did someone swing by and pick her up. I’ve not seen addressed anywhere how she typically got to work if she didn’t use the family car.
Which is leading down this road of what if someone who knew her schedule swung by unannounced to take her to work ( a friend also home from college, an old HS friend, maybe a co worker, but doubtful) under the whole “hey thought you might want a ride” type thing.

I know I’m rambling!! It’s really been bothering me.
I read that the brother texted her in the morning asking if she needed a ride to work. She never responded. Presumably, whatever happened, had already occurred, most likely the night before.

A few days before she went missing, Mollie's brother ST retweeted a video of an arrest in Centerville. A meth user who was part of a group who broke into someone's home and violently attacked victim. The original poster who witnessed and recorded the arrest shares the same name as Mollie (spelled differently). Could there be a connection, perhaps an act of retribution based on wrong assumptions and mistaken identity? Did someone related to that violent group think Mollie had something to do with their arrest?

I’m confused as how some are saying the lack of evidence points towards her going somewhere willingly. I believe the lack of evidence points towards a random abduction.

Whenever someone goes willingly, there is almost always some sort of electronic trail of some sort. There would also probably be video surfacing of them stopping at stores for snacks or gas. You can see other random abductions that work out that way, such as the teacher that took the teenage girl a year or two ago.

If she was abducted suddenly by a stranger or slight acquaintance, there would be zero electronic evidence. There would be very little physical evidence. There would be zero video evidence because she was probably killed within 24 hours (probably less). And the body could literally be anywhere in the country.

I agree with this. I strongly believe that this was an opportunistic random abduction.
Though we don't know whether LE has a POI or have solid leads to Mollie's disappearance, I believe, at this point, after 3 weeks, that the perp came from "outside" the community. I think that even temporary workers or known visitors have been thoroughly investigated.

The only thing that gives me some pause is that LE is not warning the community. Could this be because statistically there is very little chance a random stranger would come back to THAT community with so much present LE activity?

I keep thinking of the Delphi case....cold, no resolution. And there they actually had a photo and a voice.
Was the Delphi community warned about an unknown killer? I don't know.

Mollie was dropped off after work at 5:30. She sent Dalton two messages that evening, the first being a text message sent at 7pm. We know she had homework to do that night and was going to make a dessert to take to work the next day.

Her mom said she and Mollie had exchanged several text messages that afternoon. “She had sent me a shopping list for a dessert she wanted to make and take to work. I texted her that I got the ingredients and asked if she was coming home for dinner”. Mollie said she would be home and asked what they were having. “Brats,” she replied. “OK”.

https://www.thegazette.com/subject/news/public-safety/mollie-tibbetts-missing-brooklyn-poweshiek-county-police-investigating-disappearance-20180723

Mollie’s mom said, “Yes, we were texting that night until approximately 7:30. She told me she was coming home for dinner but she was going on a run first”.

https://whotv.com/2018/08/07/13raw-tibbetts-family-keeping-hope-alive-that-mollie-will-come-home-safe/

My thoughts:

Mollie would have let the dogs go outside to potty as soon as she arrived home after work. As she had to make the dessert that night, she started her online homework in the 2 hour interval before going jogging and planned to make the dessert when she returned later. She sent her usual nightly Snapchat selfie to Dalton before she left. At approx. 7:30 she put the dogs back into the basement and left for her mom’s to have dinner, collect the dessert ingredients and drive home.

She was seen by a neighbour circa 7:30, was later seen on the streets of Brooklyn and at the funeral home and disappeared shortly afterwards.

It’s possible she accepted a lift from a friend/acquaintance but unlikely as she had already completed a good portion of her run and was en route to her mom’s.

We don’t know where she was when she sent Dalton the Snapchat selfie but it’s fair to assume she would have been smiling. While we don’t know when it was sent, Dalton said he opened it at 10:00 and thought it was in a house. Had she been coerced/forced into a car and taken to a house against her will, she would hardly have sent the selfie from that location.

I think it’s highly likely that whoever abducted her drove past the pig farm until she was taken to a residence. She was still in possession of her Fitbit and phone at that point, hence the searches in that area including repeated visits to WC but to date he hasn’t been named as a POI. The FBI asked her mom if Mollie was in a house at 9:45. I believe they asked this because there was no sign of forced entry of the home where she’d been staying and things looked undisturbed. The FBI would not have had her Fitbit data the day after she disappeared.

So far there have been no witnesses that we’re aware of who have come forward saying they saw her leaving Brooklyn en route to the house where she was staying.
Minor point...but the dessert was going to be taken into work on Friday. Therefore it did not have to be made that night, but the next night. Her mother did get the ingredients that day, but like I said, the dessert was not going to be taken to work on that next day.

Totally Plausible IMO. Newborn piglets (newborn any critter) are soooo cute, an elevated, local, young adult version of 'can you help me find my lost puppy' that is such a timeworn ruse because it's so effective (playing on someone's sweet, caring nature).
There was a
Well if that is the case and LE have denied any stranger danger for the community, then IMO, it would seem it has to be someone she knows. Investigations always start with the entire family
since they feel they know the victim best. In this case maybe her boyfriend since she was staying at a house owned by the brothers girlfriend It then fans out from there according to what they have learned in these interviews.

LE owes the public absolutely nothing when it comes to what their investigation has turned up . They do have a responsibility to WARN the community if they feel it is stranger danger. IMOO LE has all the information they need to solve this case or they would be asking the public for help. They just have to fit the pieces together.

They probably do not think it is a danger to the community because they know or suspect it id someone involved with the victim.

IMO This is good, these cases are the most likely ones to be solved. The worst is some crazy running from state to state just killing for the sake of killing.
When it is someone tied to victim , IMO, the question might be "Why Now".
I disagree that LE owes the public absolutely nothing. They are now telling the community to be aware of surroundings. Why?

Yeah and they've got hundreds of pros working this case. The though that an amateur could piece together what none of them can seems very remote.

(One of these days I’m going to help solve a case, or someone else here is, and it’s going to be BIG, :wink: )

(ETA: As Tricia has mentioned before about LE reading here on WS, who knows how many ideas or leads have been generated by members here or in other cases that we don’t even know about. :) )

Last edited:
^^^This. The two biggest things that strike me are:
1) the missing jogging clothing and shoes which indicate she never finished her jog. The homework log in could have happened at any point before jog due to there being date stamp but no time stamp, as I recall reading somewhere. Not sure what to make of the Snapchat, but from reading how they work that could also have been sent earlier as I don’t think there’s been a reputable direct confirm from LE on time sent. I also don’t think a neighbor’s statement that LE told him that MT made it home from jog should be relied on as neighbor could have interpreted wrong and there has been no confirm from LE directly on that to my knowledge.

2) While it very well could be a stranger abduction on her run, I feel like if LE thought this was even a remote possibility, they would have warned the public, telling people to be aware of their surroundings when out, take precautions, etc. Yes they want to solve this case but they also have a duty to protect public and prevent other similar abductions from occurring. I have not seen LE do this in this case which would lead me to believe that they are pretty confident it is not random stranger.

I am new here following this case and it hits close to home. My hubby and I are both from Iowa and just spent 2 weeks last month with my kids visiting family across the state.
just a question but would "made it home" mean
First, I don't believe witness DC fabricated anything, and neither did brother Jake or Mum laura when each reported that LE allegedly told them Mollie was doing homework in the evening or late in the evening. I believe LE "evening homework" theory was the basis for assuming Mollie returned home after the jog (also think LE computer digital timestamp incorrect and/or analysis not adjusted for real time). Personally, I think Mollie was doing homework before jogging (between 5:30-7:15p ish), and never returned to BF house after jog.

I wonder if she possibly made it home, but never got through the door . If it happened at the house but not inside.

BBM

This is a very good point and does differ with what Winker said (2nd press conference, I think?) which was that he would encourage everybody to just take some standard precautions and be cognizant of their surroundings. Further, he said, if you see something, say something. If you observe suspicious activity, don't be afraid to report it.
It’s already at high risk to be taking someone with a possible neighbor seeing them and I think the majority agrees that’s what has happened...whether it be a stranger, lurker, or someone she is relatively familiar with. Everyone is on edge and has their eye out for anything different. I would be shocked if whoever took her decided to do it again so soon. Unfortunately because of this person, everyone probably is safer :( bittersweet.

I have not seen that posted or reported as a fact. The devices may or may not have anything to do with the farm. They may simply want to rule out nearby people with a history. If the phone pinged in that area, it may or may not be accurate... if accurate the phone may simply have been passing by that area and it may or may not have been with her.
LE returned there too many times. They had a good reason to go. And it's out of the way - not in close proximity to sightings.

And I stated from the outset that it's a theory so I obviously wasn't stating it as fact.

I think everyone needs to let go of the notion that she left voluntarily.

1. There's no way a 20-year-old college student has enough money saved up to survive very long.
2. She would have done at least some Google research about where to go, etc., and police would know.
3. If she had phone or electronic contact beforehand with some other suitor, that would be known to police. If there was another suitor, they for sure would have had at least some prior communication that can be tracked.
4. If she was gone willingly, she would have logged into her social media by now -- and police would know. No young person that age is not going to check social media to at least see what people are saying about her disappearance.
5. What could possibly be a motive for her wanting to run off, if not another suitor? There's no debt problem, no family problem, no crime to run from, nothing like that.

Voluntarily leaving in this case just makes no sense at all.
I totally agree -- unless she was just catching a ride for convenience, or maybe the weather, and I feel sure that you were not posting about that possibility. I just don't see her going with someone, even for a few days, voluntarily. She had so much to look forward to doing in the near and far future. She seems like a responsible young woman -- her summer job which she also had in prior summers where her coworkers are probably friends of hers by now; the upcoming wedding about which she had to be happily anticipating; going back to college soon; her parents & friends, and her boyfriend. Not contacting anyone for three weeks -- nope, don't see it from what we know of MT.

Mollie is a smart girl and being an avid runner I’m sure she was fully aware of all the risks that comes along with a woman jogging alone at night. Shes young and we all know young folks think they know everything and us adults don’t. Im sure she was at a comfortable level running alone at night for years as she never had a bad encounter. I think that night she was running happy and carefree looking forward to her trip and the wedding. She let her guard down and she wasn’t prepared for what happened and therefore vulnerable to a bad person. I pray she’s found soon and alive.

Molly may be an experienced runner, however, she is obviously not aware of the danger associated with wearing headphones while jogging.

just a question but would "made it home" mean

I wonder if she possibly made it home, but never got through the door . If it happened at the house but not inside.

I wonder that too-why the dogs were in the basement? Or if she walked in, out again to take out the trash...

An additional reward needs to be established for information leading to the arrest/conviction of whoever is responsible for the disappearance of Mollie. The current reward is only for Mollie's safe return.

The current reward won't pay people if Mollie is found deceased and many people believe she's deceased. Some people may not call in important tips because in doing so they will be investigated by the FBI and then "prosecuted" by mob mentality. People who may have tips don't want to suffer through an FBI investigation and mob attack without even being eligible for the reward. In addition, they may put themselves at risk by calling in a tip against a neighbor, but wouldn't receive any reward unless Mollie is found alive, which at this point is unlikely.

Last edited:
Last edited:
checking in..

just one thing kinda nags at me and that is the post about her belonging in Brooklyn NYC and not Brooklyn IA,

sounds like something that could have been said to her.

to lure her..it just bugs me I can't fully explain. MOO

Yes. It struck me the same way. Somebody grooming her.

What I’m trying to say is I wonder if we should strive to find that balance between maintaining online privacy while still allowing for crucial info to be available to LE as soon as possible in the event of an unthinkable. Does that balance even exist?

Balance as you said is a very tricky proposition. If you ever want an eyeopener in terms of personal privacy then activate the google app via maps on your phone and allow location tracking. I posted the other day about how we all sat down at dinner and wrote down all passwords and login's for all accounts/apps etc. and commited to kep the lists current and put it all in individual envelopes to only be used in an emergency. I actually felt like a bit of an idiot after I posted it as it seemed such a basic idea and that the info I had from the kids was years out of date. It shocked me how many logins/passwords/apps etc. there were, even for the kids. What also shocked me was a sometimes nonchalant attitude to the topic of friend requests. Its not unusual for kids in a relatively small town to have over 1,000 'friends'. Who are all these people and why does anyone need to communciate daily activities to such a large number of people when the true friend group is very much smaller?

We have been managing privacy settings for the kids and ourselves and don't allow any new apps for kids w/o approval. But now we got everyone to agree to no friend request approvals from anyone you don't know and no approvals from friends of friends (seems a bit obvious but we had a surprisingly long conversation about this topic!). There are all kinds of entities out there that simply send out random friend requests, even to private accounts and sometimes kids approve these requests. I read an article the other day about how some of these 'bots' simply screen grab pics of kids and then use them on child *advertiser censored* sites. Ugh.

But, along the way we got lax about following through on checking in on kids accounts periodically. So, the exercise we went through was long overdue and was something of an eye opener but I am glad we went through the process. I plan to investigate some stand alone apps and consider reactivation of some of the apple/google apps that would do a good job of tracking in the event that it becomes necessary.

I was surprised and encouraged with how relatively aware the kids were about privacy and safety and how they knew that activating geotags for all pictures might not be something you want to be public etc. and why keeping your SM accounts private is a good thing. I am certainly going to have to invest more time tracking SM accounts, friend lists etc. In reading this it sounds like I have become no different than a cyber cop and this gives me pause. But, in watching this case play out and even not knowing the outcome yet, it become clears that access to digital data as quickly in the investigation as possible could make a huge difference in a case outcome. So, I am going to suck up some of my personal queasiness about privacy, control what I can to try to keep the family safe and allow some tracking capabilities for a few apps TBD to give me some piece of mind. I also very much appreciated the comments and suggestions that others posted on here of how the keep family and loved ones aware of their location. It seems like just very basic guidelines about checking in can be made into a routine. I was also encouraged to see that Uber is making it possible for alerts on your location to be shared anytime you take a ride.

An additional reward needs to be established for information leading to the arrest/conviction of whoever is responsible for the disappearance of Mollie. The current reward is only for Mollie's safe return.

The current reward won't pay people if Mollie is found deceased and many people believe she's deceased. Some people may not call in important tips because in doing so they will be investigated by the FBI and then "prosecuted" by mob mentality and they even won't be eligible for the reward unless she's found alive.

There might be a very good reason they've chosen to structure the reward just that way...

Seems a little creepy in and of itself, to me...high potential for abuse, defamation, etc. Not sure that this solution isn't nearly as bad as the problem its hoping to solve. JMO!
Not if it is private. No one would see it but the password would be known to someone close so LE could get into the account. I think it is a good idea myself. Some women are in fact harmed by people that they have met that gave them the creep factor. I know I have been. In my case I was not seriously harmed but I knew a particular person was going to try something with me. I felt it. He made a nuisance of himself and was always in my face which led to me turning him down many times. He was aggressive and reluctant. He did make a move and luckily I happened to be wearing construction boots and kicked him where it hurt. I did not report it. I didn't want to instigate it further. I would have if he had persisted but apparently he got the message because he stayed away from me. I don't know what his total intentions were but I can guess what one of them was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper