Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #22

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The only reason I would tend to think it's someone younger is the technology end of it. I'm in my 50s and I had no clue that Fitbits have GPS capability until this case, and if I was a perpetrator, I'd probably assume MT's Fitbit was a watch. Not saying that older people aren't more hip than I am, but there are many who are not knowledgeable about newer tech gadgets that are marketed to a younger generation.

Unless the older man is also into fitness and up to speed on all of that stuff.

ETA: I'm 45 and have an iPhone and Fitbit.

JMO.

I do think Monday's presser will go on, as scheduled, if for no other reason than they have cancelled the last two. They have intimated that they will release more information in the next one, and I believe that they will, but I do not believe it will be any case-breaking news. They may confirm that they have or have not found a particular item, i.e. a red shirt, but they may not confirm or deny it is Mollie's. Or they may confirm what they at least presume her running route was, or roughly the time they think she may have disappeared. I expect they will again take questions, but not answer many. If they already know there is some specific information that they need from the public, I don't see them holding it until Monday to ask for. Likewise, as I have stated before, I do not believe they will let a suspect stay free until Monday if they have enough on him to arrest him today...so I assume they do not. I think the presser is more for show than for substance, and I truly do not have a real sense, one way or the other, whether LE has any idea what happened to Mollie, and who may be responsible. JMO (because I don't MOO)

I don’t think LE cares whether we are checking SM as long as you aren’t doing anything illegally. I think you have your head in the sand if you don’t think it’s a possibility that a normal 20 year old girl away from home for a year, whether she has a bf or not, would go on a date or two And married men have been known to ask 20 year old college girls for dates.
It's not really a matter of LE caring or not, it's a matter of being respectful towards people, as far as your scenario about MT running off with a married man, I don't know what you mean by my " having my head in the sand", I've never made a comment about that scenario that you mentioned. Believe me, I'm WELL aware married men have or seek affairs with women, I would HAVE to have my head in the sand not to know that.

Is Mondays' presser on? I hope so otherwise it means they still have nothing. This is the most baffling case ever. I'm wondering if somebody in this town has a bad conscience bothering him.

Same here. Candy. Taught to be polite to the bitter end, I said "No thank you" and kept walking. I'm glad you're still here. Lots of posts & exp. like ours here on WS the past few days.
Glad you are too! People always thought I was overprotective with my children when it came to strangers, but it literally only takes seconds for someone to lure or force a child into a vehicle.

Thanks so much for the link and a wonderful laugh. Hilarious and so typical of trying to resolve neighborhood issues! As I was reading the long post I wonder if the folks in Brooklyn have anything similar to post to other than facebook? I don't want to make light of the tragic disappearance of MT but can you imagine if the first post on the Brooklyn Next Door was:

Sally to Meg: Was down at the Sheriff's office today and heard the gossip that MT has gone missing. Have you heard anything?

Meg to Sally: No way! Such a lovely and talented girl. She graduated with my oldest and they are both at Iowa together. Do you think we should ask Dan and Dave if they know anything?

Sally to Meg: Absolutely. Those guys know everyone so maybe we can sort this out together.

And on and on it goes and maybe (god willing) they resolve what happened because we sure haven't figure it out yet!

Appreciated the link!

I assumed that but it was previously posted that Monday's PR was postponed. I am trying to get someone to validate that. Is it still on for Monday, is my question.

They were just joking around because other press conferences have been cancelled. moo

The PC is still scheduled for Monday 3 pm, as far as we know.

Hey all, I got in and out of Brooklyn without incident (as expected). Ran into Mollie’s dad giving an interview at Casey’s, that was surreal... full report when we get home, enjoying some Dairey Queen first!
Thank you for doing this for us! I also appreciate the fact that you are from the area and give us a better idea of what it is like around there.

Hey all, I got in and out of Brooklyn without incident (as expected). Ran into Mollie’s dad giving an interview at Casey’s, that was surreal... full report when we get home, enjoying some Dairey Queen first!
I admire her dad so much. He really gets out there and spends his time on his mission to find his daughter. I can see why MT adored him and called him her BF. He is absoutely her BF and every day shows more proof of it. He is doing his daughter proud. If there are miracles left to be had I do pray that one happens for this family.

I was originally thinking that the FBI is having the family stay tight lipped because they ARE trying to gather evidence. Of course that's why we haven't heard much details. I can't remember who stated it earlier on in one of the threads but they mentioned the fact that LE or the FBI asked the boyfriend to say he forgot or could not remember where the Snapchat came from. Originally some information was released about it, but later maybe LE and the FBI figured that they better be more tight lipped about that Snapchat since they are thinking Mollie might have actually sent it from an unknown location (someone's house that none of her family could recognize). Maybe she WAS in someone's house when she sent that Snapchat and they person (whose house she was in) didn't know she sent it (until her boyfriend mentioned it in the media). Maybe LE and the FBI is trying hard to find out what house that Snapchat came from. If the boyfriend acted like he didn't remember and is vague then maybe the person who kidnapped Mollie would less likely believe that LE or the FBI is after them. They would pretty much remain as is and not trying to flee town. Just a thought.

In response to the questions about text message retrieval:

Back in the day when people sent SMS text messages to each other, phone companies would have a log of what texts were sent and received and from what number. LE could subpoena a carrier for the texts during a certain period. During the Casey Anthony case, Florida's public records law allowed the release to the public of the evidence introduced or planned to be introduced at trial by LE. So we got to see spreadsheets of Casey's text messages from her cell phone carrier.

iMessage is an Apple messaging app that replaces SMS messaging when you message other Apple devices. iMessages are end-to-end encrypted. This means there's no middle man storing or reading the message. The message can be read on the device(s) of the person sending and the person receiving. Apple itself and the phone company never see the content of the message so there's nothing to subpoena. There are a number of ways to retrieve these messages if you have the device that sent or received it. If your iPhone backs up to iCloud, if you have iCloud sign-in information and 2 step authorization access, you can see what was stored. But you can't subpoena Apple for it. (My good friend has worked in app security at Apple for over a decade now).

If you have an iPhone and you are texting someone who does not have an Apple device, you are not using iMessage and I believe it sends the message through traditional SMS with the phone company. The end-to-end encryption is a feature for Apple to Apple communication.

I believe Facebook messenger also now uses end-to-end encryption because they are trying to introduce payment processing. I think WhatsApp also uses end-to-end encryption. It's becoming more popular and more companies are moving towards it.
Thank you for that very detailed information. You Explained that very well, and I'm going to read it again to make sure I understand.

Thank you, Marie.

With the Alta Fitbit, there is a fairly long battery life, from what I read here. Fitbit Alta™ Fitness Wristband

Pairing with the Bluetooth feature of an iPhone info here in an instruction manual. https://images-eu.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/A1c9fLbmalS.pdf

There seem to be a lot of problems with newer iPhones pairing well with the Alta, though.

So, I guess I wonder next about iPhone apps that work with the Fitbit Alta, and how that information can be accessed.
Alta seems to have about the same battery life as my Fitbit Charge 2, five days more or less.

I don’t think LE cares whether we are checking SM as long as you aren’t doing anything illegally. I think you have your head in the sand if you don’t think it’s a possibility that a normal 20 year old girl away from home for a year, whether she has a bf or not, would go on a date or two And married men have been known to ask 20 year old college girls for dates.
Color me sandy-headed. I've never cheated on a boyfriend, ever. I really take offense to that rhetoric, aside from Mollie.

The only reason I would tend to think it's someone younger is the technology end of it. I'm in my 50s and I had no clue that Fitbits have GPS capability until this case, and if I was a perpetrator, I'd probably assume MT's Fitbit was a watch. Not saying that older people aren't more hip than I am, but there are many who are not knowledgeable about newer tech gadgets that are marketed to a younger generation.

I was not even familiar with fitbits until this case. My daughter jogs but she uses a phone app that counts her steps etc but not sure what it is and how she accesses it. It really is good to learn these things but honestly, most of the stuff marketed to younger people I would have no practical use for. My kids are always telling me to download this or that app to do this or that and it is basically all white noise to me. I make jewelry so if there is no app to help me make jewelry, it doesn't pertain to me ROFL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stefunee