Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #22

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with your thinking. They could still charge he perpetrator with murder, but that would require a great deal of evidence. If not that, you certainly have the possibility of a kidnapping charge (if you can gather enough evidence). Further down the list you have obstruction, and certainly misleading an investigation. But if they do have a suspect, this could very easily be a waiting game, as you suggest. Suspects have unwittingly lead LE to a body in the past, and that could be the hope here.

In other cases I've followed, they've arrested the suspect on unrelated charges--drug charges, driving charges, violation of a restraining order or probation, that kind of thing.

I can't remember a specific case right now, unfortunately.

Infrared detects metabolism. I remember over 90 degree (?95) on my body which is much hotter than the ground (I have an infrared camera that attaches to an Iphone). For instance I could see dogs and cats (very helpful). A dead body continues to metabolize for a long long time.

As I said I think I could see graves in the cemetery, which could have been an artifact.
Not sure it could be detected that deep, but maybe. I was thinking it was possible if it was a shallow grave.

The "possibility" and "normal" is causing the debate. The way I read it was that it is possible for a typical 20 year old to be flattered by someone's attention or go on a date and that we shouldn't assume it not a possibility bc we have the "girl next door" image of her in our minds. Likewise, even if she did do something like that, it would not make her "abnormal" or any less deserving of the empathy and concern and certainly no more likely to be responsible for what happened to her. Moo.
Well. You just articulated it much better than I did right there. Thank you

Oh geez, please don't make me wade back through Lord knows how many pages to find where I read that. I am certain I did, but just take it with a grain of salt if you need to, because I did my 6th day in a row at work today, and honestly don't think I have the energy to search for it now. Maybe someone else read that too, or if not, if a mod wants to delete my post, my feelings wont be hurt.

I don't expect you to wade back through anything. In fact, I said I've seen it mentioned a couple of times myself, and decided to ask because I simply couldn't remember if it was an official statement, news article or what. Didn't mean to upset you.

Gforce previously wrote this:

I don’t think LE cares whether we are checking SM as long as you aren’t doing anything illegally. I think you have your head in the sand if you don’t think it’s a possibility that a normal 20 year old girl away from home for a year, whether she has a bf or not, would go on a date or two And married men have been known to ask 20 year old college girls for dates.

Can't we all just get along????? :)
I'm getting along while vehemently disagreeing. :) gforce I'm sure understands that I can disagree with his opinion while still appreciating that it comes from a good place of wanting to find a young girl who is missing.

It seems that you are assuming that her phone was active until she stopped moving, but that isn't necessarily how it works.

Imagine, for a moment, an abductor who understands the basic technology of a Fitbit and cellphone, and that they have to be in close range of each other for the Fitbit signal to be sent via wifi to a remote device. If the abductor disabled Mollie's phone or Fitbit at the moment she is abducted, that would provide a clear location to police regarding where she was abducted. The smart thing to do is to leave the Fitbit and phone active and in close proximity to each other, and to drive to a rural location, such as Guernsey, to un-sync or disable the devices.

The result is that police will spend days searching the Guernsey area. This is what the abductor wants police to do - to waste time and resources looking for Mollie in the wrong place. Mollie could very well be alive after leaving the Guernsey area regardless of the last signal from her Fitbit and/or cell phone. Intensive searches in Guernsey may be a complete waste of time.

I agree, but I was referring to a theory of an attacker who doesn't have a car, and had to ditch everything close to the scene of the crime. I think that in that case, she would have been found.

All text messages are saved... They are saved at the Switch level and there are copies of every message sent, no matter the carrier. They require a supeana to get copies, but they are often obtained for divorce court and criminal cases. This is why people get "burner" phones and air gapped laptops... There are ways to limit your digital footprint or throw people off...

This was true 20 years ago but not today if you use iPhones or messaging apps. End-to-end encryption means the data is encrypted during transmission so there's no message for the phone company or app maker to read. There's nothing to subpoena.

Here's the information directly from Apple:

iMessage and FaceTime
We use end-to-end encryption to protect your iMessage and FaceTime conversations across all your devices. With watchOS and iOS, your messages are encrypted on your device so that they can’t be accessed without your passcode. We designed iMessage and FaceTime so that there’s no way for us to decrypt your data when it’s in transit between devices. You can choose to automatically delete your messages from your device after 30 days or a year or to keep them on your device forever.

Third-party apps that use iMessage do not have access to participants’ actual contact information or conversations. iOS provides each app with a random identifier for each participant, which is reset when the app is uninstalled. iMessage and SMS messages are backed up on iCloud for your convenience, but you can turn iCloud Backup off whenever you want. And we never store the content of FaceTime calls on any servers.

Privacy - Approach to Privacy

The "possibility" and "normal" is causing the debate. The way I read it was that it is possible for a typical 20 year old to be flattered by someone's attention or go on a date and that we shouldn't assume it not a possibility bc we have the "girl next door" image of her in our minds. Likewise, even if she did do something like that, it would not make her "abnormal" or any less deserving of the empathy and concern and certainly no more likely to be responsible for what happened to her. Moo.
True, he said not impossible for a normal girl. Not that's what normal girls do.

Does anyone think that the past at least 2 weeks involved mainly figuring out how to get the perp to release MT? Maybe they have successfully negotiated the release terms and the PC is to announce that she is alive and well? A dramatic end to a puzzling case.

That sure would be great, if so!

My husband has worked at AT&T and currently at T-Mobile in management. I'll have to ask when he gets home... I'm almost 100% certain he personally does not have access to the information even if it does exist.
My husband has worked at AT&T and currently at T-Mobile in management. I'll have to ask when he gets home... I'm almost 100% certain he personally does not have access to the information even if it does exist.

I had a husband who wasn’t faithful. Armed with just his iCloud password, I was able to view all of his texts, deleted or otherwise. I could view photos, videos, calls made, everything.

Here is where my mind s at tonight:
1. PC will be unnecessary, and something will break tomorrow.
2. There are only a few real scenarios, all of them are possible, and at different times I suspect them all.
To me it is probably either of these:

1. Someone she knew well, possibly a co-worker or fellow student had an unrequited crush on her and it went off the rails. This person lured her away easily and is keeping her in some fashion.

2.Someone she thought was someone else, ie: on SM, someone who pretended to be a peer, etc. Or in person, a person she knew on sight but who used a ruse of something familiar.

3. She had a flirtatious but non-meaningful online banter with someone who is IRL not stable, and they went and got her. Maybe she went to meet them, and it went off the rails from there.

None of these things point at her as the person responsible, because any of these would be due to someone manipulating a young nice person. Even people who seem like your BFF online or at school or what have you can have issues you never suspect. And as far as 2 and 3 up there, I am still thinking "mean girls". I hope whatever it is, she is alive and ok, and gets home safe. Even if someone is embarrassed or ashamed or frightened to come forward, this has really been torturous for a family, it's using up crazy amounts of resources, and it's just plain sad. So let's hope for the best.

In other cases I've followed, they've arrested the suspect on unrelated charges--drug charges, driving charges, violation of a restraining order or probation, that kind of thing.

I can't remember a specific case right now, unfortunately.
You are absolutely right. There was recently a quadruple murder of a family in my area. The potential suspect is currently behind bars on four counts of misleading an investigation. It’s a solid tactic.

I don't expect you to wade back through anything. In fact, I said I've seen it mentioned a couple of times myself, and decided to ask because I simply couldn't remember if it was an official statement, news article or what. Didn't mean to upset you.

Oh, you didn't upset me. I always appreciate your posts, and if I had not seen what I posted, and someone else had posted it, I would have been asking the same question as you. I really did read it, and it seems like that was stated before the official postponement notice was posted. Maybe the wording used just caused me, and others apparently, to read more into it than was meant. Who knows.

Last edited:
He wouldn't... But they have the data... In 2003 they could actually pull the info, but now it's not available at the local level

Thank you!

The most I can say about that theory is that the person in question is of the same peer group, and likely known by her. The individual has had some SM posts that, on the surface (and when also looking beyond just the communication to MT), reveals a bit of a narcissistic, pushy, and, perhaps, misogynistic personality. However, people of that age frequently just try to be edgy. So who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mjinmidwest