Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #22

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I lived in cornfield land when that movie came out. Still creeps me out. It's bad enough I can't take a shower with the curtain closed, try driving through IL...at dusk.
I saw it in 1984 at a drive in movie theater with A Nightmare on Elm Street as the first movie. By the time it came on I was so freaked from the first movie that all I did was laugh at the Children of the Corn one. It was cheesy compared to the other one. I absolutely hate horror movies. Those two were my first and last ones.

Ve

Veracity, Interesting about the construction job. I read on another site a few days or so ago about someone that suspected Mollie was abducted by a construction worker. Her boyfriend worked in construction. Maybe he had some friends in construction that ALSO knew Mollie. Maybe they also knew (via the boyfriend) that Mollie was going to be home alone that day (because her boyfriend ran his mouth to his friends). Maybe one of Mollie's boyfriend's friends (who worked construction with him) was also following her on social media because he was infatuated with her. Maybe Mollie also knew this guy because of course he was a friend of her boyfriend's and he also worked with him. Maybe since he is in construction he is no longer in the area. Maybe she trusted this guy (he showed up at her house), but something happened and it turned deadly. Or something along those lines.

The other thing about perps in construction...I know I’ve heard of at least one missing/murder case where the perp buried the body at the job site (access to diggers etc.) I cant remember the specific case, but I believe LE was able to figure it out by evidence of travel between place of work and where victim was last. (Receipts, cameras etc.) But it was a case that took a long time to solve.

Obviously, I am hoping this has nothing to do with Mollie’s disappearance, but whenever I hear “missing” and “construction” it reminds me of that previous case. JMO

Right, and this is where a few people on WS have speculated that the whole thing might have taken a negative turn. Her awareness that she was not going to mom's house prompts a negative reaction. That negative reaction to being abducted in turn forces the driver to use force to subdue her. And, it goes permanently negative from there.

I think there are two different basic scenarios with a familiar person.

Something starting friendly with hopes of more, and she was not on that same page, and it led to violence. That would pose a lot of problems for the killer if he was not planning on that ending and had a body to hide, and I think something would have emerged about that by now.

An intentional ruse of something like 'Hey, how about a ride', then not going to Mom's after all, and having to subdue an unwilling passenger while driving.

I can also see if she was willingly at someone else's home, or other private environment, she could have been harmed for resisting advances, but that goes back to whether or not it's plausible that she'd end her day with a social thing that had her in her running attire.

I think there are a number of scenarios and the one that actually happened might not be anything we've even considered. But I do think a stranger abduction is on the list of strong possibilities.

What do people think of a man, who when interviewed about MT, keeps tugging at his wedding ring?

Nothing? Nervous? Mean something?
It would bug me about as much as wrist wear in another interview video(try rewatching a few mainstream media interviews, you might spot it)......gives me pause. But probably nothing.

That's what I thought too, but a previous post cited pig cadaver research that shows maggot activity can raise body temp to significantly detectable levels on infrared for 3 months post death and dumping of a body! Who knew?

That's assuming the decay and insect infestation started... If they used cameras in the dusk hours day of or day after being killed...where the ground would still be warm, air cooler, but a body at the ground temp... I can aim the infrared camera and see handprints left on surfaces...

What do people think of a man, who when interviewed about MT keeps tugging at his wedding ring?

I think rings just bug some people and I think other fiddle with their rings out of habit or because they need something to do with their hands. I fiddle with my band likely several times a hour and its been there almost 25 years.

Her Mom's house is just a little Northeast of the High school.
I know, but the person I quoted said her family lives in a nearby town? Which family is that? Not her Dad's. Her hometown isn't Brooklyn?

I'd have to see video of him in other circumstances to know whether it's worrisome. Some people do play with their ring as a nervous habit--I do sometimes.

But my first reaction would be that it's a bit hinky...

Good point about obtaining a baseline video.

Interesting that some TV stations focus a shot on the hands. I never paid attention to that before. But it is a good idea.

Clenched fist = anger; tapping fingers = nervous (or a drummer for the Who); chewed fingernails = nervous; playing with wedding ring I always read as someone who is thinking of his relationship, and not in a good way; picking nose = yuk!

What do people think of a man, who when interviewed about MT, keeps tugging at his wedding ring?

If most of us were interviewed, we'd most likely have odd quirks. I have a friend who blinks, a lot. She uses it like a period at the end of every statement. "It's hot out (blink, blink, blink, blink)" It's not what someone does, but the circumstances of it. If he's tugging at his ring even when talking about the weather, then it's just a nervous habit. If he only does it when answering specific questions, then it can indicate deceit.

BBM

I've seen this mentioned a couple of times now and am curious where you saw this, because the press release has the exact same wording as the prior press conferences (that updates will be provided regarding the investigative response).
???

Postponement of Friday's Press Conference

At the very end of the last PC, the spokesman said they'll have more info on Tuesday, which was pushed to Friday, then postponed to Monday. Taken literally or not, or whether the postponements are strategic or for lack of more that may be shared, we won't know.

Given the family has continued to garner awareness this weekend and that another witness to Mollie's jog went public late last week, whenever the PC does take place, lets hope it has the effect of engaging the public in a way that can help with awareness and jogging peoples' memories for solid leads.

In Chelsea Bruck's case, having images of her handmade Poison Ivy costume widely circulated was key. Her family moved heaven and earth to raise awareness of what the public should look for. The kid who found the costume was hesitant to report it. His sister helped him find the courage to do so on Easter, IIRC. They knew just enough about Chelsea and her family to between them care enough to say something.

Last edited:
One theory that I just can't stop thinking about is this: When MT went to California for her dad's wedding, could she have possibly been introduced to someone while she was visiting or at the wedding, and that encounter boiled into a sexual advance (wanted or not wanted). MT and this person stay in contact with each other after her return to Iowa. Then, suddenly she finds out she is pregnant and calls her Dad. This conversation last three hours and in MOO entails how to deal with this situation so relationships and careers don't get ruined. The person in question, (which I don't even know exists) becomes upset when told of this situation and thinks they must come to Iowa to resolve this or to make it go away before their career, marriage, lifestyle is ruined. According to MSM, RT believes she is with somebody she knows. Is that person somebody she met in California??? This is totally speculation and 100% MO. What do members think?
Totally speculation- Haven’t thought about Mollie and a pregnancy? But I would think Mollie would speak to her father relating to anything like that? They are close as RT has stated.

I cannot see an arrest happening unless she is found, short of a confession. A kidnapping with no victim is very difficult to prove, until years have passed, unless there was a very telling crime scene.
I may end up being very disappointed, but I feel they have a lot of evidence. I hope she is alive, but I doubt it. I believe FBI knows who took her and is watching him/them, and when their cornstalks are all in a row, they will arrest him. Well after that, depending on Mollie’s outcome, they will tell the family, and then tell the public. I don’t want to be disappointed. It is so hard watching her dad and b/f. I just want an ending for them.

So we've speculated about whether a guy (any random guy, not thinking of a particular person here) might have taken her friendly personality as more than she intended.

What if it wasn't the guy, but the guy's girlfriend/partner/whatever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flimflam