Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #23

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
A town of 1500 people, a 20 year old female with a social media presence 'just disappears' and the FBI and local Law Enforcement can't solve this case in 3 and a half weeks..!! Really??? This is a shame and an embarrassment for LE . Makes one question their efforts, their focus, or their abilities. Where is Liam Neeson!!!
I absolutely respectfully disagree with this post a thousand percent. LE is doing everything they can, I have no doubt. Every case is not immediately solvable due to various factors. Unfortunately there are an infinite number of cold cases which, despite multiple law enforcement agencies and massive efforts, are unsolved.
To use the word “shame” and “embarrassment” for LE is unwarranted imo. One has noooo idea how much heart, work and effort some of these investigators are putting into Mollie’s case. These investigators are under a lot of pressure, and very public pressure, to do their best and believe me they want Mollie’s case solved as much as anyone, if not more. To dog LE is highly disrespectful. They are not dummies. They have all kinds of experience (FBI) and resources at their disposal so if they’re having trouble or things are taking time there must be a reason. Sorry I’m being harsh, I see you are a new member and I do welcome you, and you are entitled to your opinion. Like any LE will tell you, real life is not a one hour episode of CSI. As one who has seen countless investigations, I have no doubt that LE is working this to the best of their abilities. While 3 weeks is certainly an eternity for Mollie and her loved ones, it is actually not that long compared to many other cases we have seen here. This is not to say that LE doesn’t make mistakes, but I do believe they are doing their best. We do not know what is going on behind the scenes, nor do we necessarily need to know.

Everything is JMO.

Last edited:
A town of 1500 people, a 20 year old female with a social media presence 'just disappears' and the FBI and local Law Enforcement can't solve this case in 3 and a half weeks..!! Really??? This is a shame and an embarrassment for LE . Makes one question their efforts, their focus, or their abilities. Where is Liam Neeson!!!

Wow, that is pretty harsh zxz! In this technological age, yes, a person can be followed/located fairly easily to a point. However, take those away and your guess is as good as mine. Anyone who watches crime shows knows that you need to get rid of the phone, fitbit, or any other equipment that is on her person which would leave a digital footprint. Or, if whoever took Mollie has no direct connection to her that is digitally visible, (think of a neighbor who has a crush and quietly watches her or a random stranger ), those are absolutely the hardest cases to solve. With no evidence in a case like that it does seem like a person could vanish into thin air.

To question the efforts of focus of law enforcement in this case is pretty critical when you really don’t know what, if any, evidence they have or what is going on behind the scenes.

I want to know more about the security cameras next door. Was it the whole system that went out or one camera? If one camera, where was it to be viewing?
I believe it was on their website to advise people who go there to pay their bills in person.

Welp and that could be gone by now because I noticed they’ve removed certain sections of their website in the past week. <modsnipped> Too much national interest and too much contact info online.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried to track down where the information about the cameras came from and never could find it, but I don't generally have much luck searching this site. Here is some of what I found (no MSM links, so far).

IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #9
IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #13
IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #15
IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #15
IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #20
Thanks Pommy. Doesn't sound like LE has told us this.

I can’t confirm if this was on the site previously but I can no longer find things that were on line <modsnipped> Perhaps there have been modifications to the site or user error on my part.
It’s been modified for sure.

Edit: though I have idea if it used to mention cameras.

Last edited by a moderator:
This one is my first look through town. If you view this before youtube finishes trimming it, note that the hardware store I see is not the hardware store that was vandalized. This one gives you a good feel for the town, next one will be a closer look at the residential streets.

This video starts as we leave Casey's and continue west down Historic US 6 to 385th Ave just west of town. I had never been down this road before and now I can see why - it's gravel turning to dirt before it turns into West Des Moines St. I really don't think Historic US 6 or that stretch of 385th are relevant as potential routes, but maybe they should be noted.

(3:15) As I enter West Des Moines St and continue East you'll see the house where Mollie was dog sitting and the Electric Co-Op to my left. You can get plenty of close up via google street view if you're interested.

(5:10) W Des Moines meets Jackson St and I turn left (N) towards the high school. To get to Mom's house one would turn right at the 6:30 mark. I'm not going over to those houses. I continue North to Hwy 6 (not the same as Historic US 6), then turn around and go back South.

(9:30) Heading South on Jackson, I turn left (E) on Pershing. This is likely a street Mollie would have jogged along regularly. 10:45 I turn right (S) on Mills St and follow that south to 2nd street (11:35).

(12:35) I'm stopped on the corner of 2nd and Clay St getting ready to turn North. Note the view from here, you can see Casey's up ahead from the that intersection. I turn and follow Clay St north until it ends at E Des Moines St (14:35). Here I turn left (W) back to Jackson, then turn south and head towards the Business District. Notice Casey's again off to my right at 15:50.

(16:00) The Business District in Brooklyn is really just the one block of Jackson St south of Casey's. It's a one-way (south only) street.
Thank you for taking the time with your daughter to film. You did a great job! Your footage is so clear and your narration is great. Very nice of you. I live in Southern CA, I’ve been jogging last 30 years and there is no way I would jog those desolate roads alone and especially at night. No way! Not even if Mollie went missing. Too creepy for me. If I screamed nobody would hear. There are so many places Mollie could be hidden I saw many thick cornstalks, ditches, dense bushes and trees like at those animal parks. There are so many places and I’m sure they weren’t all searched. Now I’m feeling worse because if she was killed her body could be hidden anywhere along that route. Geez what’s the population like 500? Where do people go to buy cars and shop around there? Are there movie theaters? malls? For young folks doesn’t seem like much to do in a small sleepy town like that. It’s like everyone in that town could be a suspect cuz I’m sure everyone knows everyone’s business. Maybe Mollie did want to get out of dodge where there is more action for a gal her age and more opportunity. Im sorry not to hurt anyone’s feelings but I would be bored living there.

• This was the second night that Mollie was alone in the house
  • There were no vehicles in the driveway (as there usually would be) The above from page one. I had wondered how long she had been staying there before her disappearance.. Now i read it was her second night alone. I would bet that on her first night their she went for a walk/run around the same time. As far as the condition of the house. This was not a robbery. I am not surprised that nothing seemed admist or messed up.

Can't believe we are already on thread 23 and still nothing. Hoping today is the day! Is there still a PC tomorrow or is that one rescheduled again too?

Thank you for taking the time with your daughter to film. You did a great job! Your footage is so clear and your narration is great. Very nice of you. I live in Southern CA, I’ve been jogging last 30 years and there is no way I would jog those desolate roads alone and especially at night. No way! Not even if Mollie went missing. Too creepy for me. If I screamed nobody would hear. There are so many places Mollie could be hidden I saw many thick cornstalks, ditches, dense bushes and trees like at those animal parks. There are so many places and I’m sure they weren’t all searched. Now I’m feeling worse because if she was killed her body could be hidden anywhere along that route. Geez what’s the population like 500? Where do people go to buy cars and shop around there? Are there movie theaters? malls? For young folks doesn’t seem like much to do in a small sleepy town like that. It’s like everyone in that town could be a suspect cuz I’m sure everyone knows everyone’s business.
When you see something like “population 1500” in these rural towns it always includes a radius that’s not in city limits. It’s a very small community. My circle of friends doesn’t include many 20somethings, but I’d be pretty sure that Grinnell is going to be the destination of choice for young people looking for something to do.

Does anyone have a link regarding Mollie being seen at the Funeral Home? I can't seem to find mention of it in MSM reports.

The earliest mention of the funeral home sighting came in thread #2, but I’m not certain there was MSM reports that confirmed this? I’m not able to find any MSM quotes in any of the posts from my search.

IA - IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #2
IA - IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #4

This next post quotes a post that gives anectodal information, but the original post appears to have been deleted.
IA - IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #14

After reviewing SharonNeedles’ vids (thx btw!!), I was struck by the vastness of what is a “town” in Iowa. Talk about a needle in a haystack...

Things like this also remind me how dangerous it can be to run alone, when no one would even be alarmed if they didn’t hear from you for almost 24 hours. You could fall, break a leg-I guess you are depending on being conscious and able to call for help.

When my elderly Dad lived alone, he used to call someone before he showered. If you didn’t hear back within 30 minutes, it was agreed that someone would have to run over to check on him, or alert the authorities. Now, there’s that “I’ve fallen and I can’t get up” alert that you can wear. It even detects falls via motion.

Thank you @SharonNeedles for the town video! I found it very helpful. IMHO, the only reasons for a non-local with no local connections to venture into town would be to make a delivery or pickup, or to get gas. Casey's would have video. My other thought is that in such a small town, there might be less video surveillance going on. Many people in larger towns and cities install video cameras on their residences facing the street to avert burglaries.

I’m dying to know your theory after going thru Brooklyn!!
I can’t really hitch my wagon to any theory until LE shares what they know about a timeline. All it takes is one piece of information to turn a theory from implausible to likely. Pending further info I tend to think she got in a car with somebody willingly and it became involuntary at some point after that.

When you see something like “population 1500” in these rural towns it always includes a radius that’s not in city limits. It’s a very small community. My circle of friends doesn’t include many 20somethings, but I’d be pretty sure that Grinnell is going to be the destination of choice for young people looking for something to do.
I pictured it smaller in my mind! There were quite a few vehicles in town.

Thank you @SharonNeedles for the town video! I found it very helpful. IMHO, the only reasons for a non-local with no local connections to venture into town would be to make a delivery or pickup, or to get gas. Casey's would have video. My other thought is that in such a small town, there might be less video surveillance going on. Many people in larger towns and cities install video cameras on their residences facing the street to avert burglaries.
Casey’s is my biggest takeaway from yesterday. It seems that just about anybody going through town ends up driving past Casey’s at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro