Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #24

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
From the website http://findingmollie.iowa.gov :
Although we have not ruled out any scenario that could explain Mollie’s disappearance, we must consider the possibility that foul play is involved. Individuals who commit violent crimes often exhibit behavior that is recognized by those with whom he lives, works, attends school, or is in an otherwise close relationship with. Often, someone in the community will unknowingly be associated with the offender, and may be in a position to observe behavioral changes in that person. They will recognize the change and may even question them about it, but will not relate the change to that person’s involvement in a crime. Since Wednesday, July 18, 2018, you may have noticed one or more of the following changes:

• Change in normal routine, which might include missing school, work, or routine engagements without a plausible explanation;
  • A vehicle unexpectedly taken to a repair shop or sold/disposed of;
  • Unexpected or intensive cleaning of a vehicle, possibly at an unusual time of day;
  • Unexplained lack of contact or inability to get in touch with someone you know the evening of July 18th into the morning of July 19th;
  • Altering of physical appearance (growth or removal of facial hair, change in cut or color of hair);
  • Displays of anxiety, nervousness, stress or irritability;
  • Unexplained injuries;
  • Changes in consumption of alcohol, drugs or cigarettes;
  • Changes in sleep patterns;
  • Interest in the status of the investigation, including close attention to media coverage or an unwillingness to discuss the investigation.
____
This leads me to believe they think she was transported/ attacked in a car.
This leads me to believe it is someone who lives in the area or who frequents the area (work, family, etc)
They describe the possible perp as a "he"

We also glean an idea of the route they believe Mollie took or where they believe she was, as noted by the highlighted circles on the map. When you click on them, they zoom in and you get more details. They have some definite areas of interest. Is there anyone who can provide insight into these specific

I know a lot of you are thinking they didn't release any info from this presser, but I think a lot can be interpreted by what they did or didn't say.

bump

Thank you, Caitlin. Welcome and please stay.

Last edited:
If you live near a TA truck stop, please go out and put up a poster for Mollie. If they feel that someone travelling through or utilizes that facility may have either seen something while travelling through Iowa, or may have seen something out of state then it's worth jogging a memory by putting up a poster.

While I agree that LE should have pushed the list of things to be on the look out for regarding a persons behavior much earlier, maybe this website will be enough to freak the unsub out a bit and someone will notice - maybe even think back to the beginning and remember something.

After that they talked about behavioral changes, and a change in physical appearance. In my opinion, if Mollie was hit, it was to facilitate her abduction. The overwhelming majority of hit and run cases don’t involve taking the body with you. Panic sets in, and a perp doesn’t want to hang around any longer than he has to.

You're right. That's why they call it hit and run.

From the new find MT website.. they keep it gender neutral expect 1 time in the paragraph under the title "click to visit our tips page"... They write the word HE instead of using the word they or person. Probably an error but at this point, anything could mean something.

Quote from MT tip website: Individuals who commit violent crimes often exhibit behavior that is recognized by those with whom he lives, works, attends school, or is in an otherwise close relationship with.
That right there could have been for the perp to know they know it's a him.

I am starting to think something isn’t right in this county. I live in a county with a population of 160,000. We have zero unsolved murders and their is no missing persons since the 80s and we have a major interstate that goes through the county. We also have truck stops along said interstate. From what I can tell of this Poweshiek County, there is a high violent crime rate (per capita) and from the call logs and jail bookings on their own FB page there is quite a bit of those. It may be time to look into a new sheriff as they handle these cases in the beginning when things are very fragile. Don’t underestimate having the right people in place when things go wrong. I am also getting the feeling that the locals are not going to help take down one of their own. They would prefer to think the boogeyman came from far away.

BBM I don't think that's fair. There was extensive conversation over these threads about people not locking their doors in rural communities. It's unheard of where I live but I wouldn't presume someone isn't equipped for life if they don't lock their door or go up to a car, for example to help someone asking for directions. Again - something I wouldn't do - I stay back and yell the directions.

As for women who run alone and something happens, your comment sounds to me like victim blaming.

Moooo

No people have been saying LE should have been telling people these things right from the beginning (like "if you saw anything, then tell someone, contact police...") And "advise people about their possible danger." In every presser I've ever seen in years of following criminal cases, police advise the public to lock doors and windows, be aware of their surroundings...ie the common sense things people's mom's tell them to do. These are the things they say when asked "what should I do with some criminal or abductor out there?"

There's no victim blaming. It is *common sense* that a female running alone in an out of the way or off the beaten path location is more at risk than a male. That's statistics, not victim blaming. And when someone does give advice on safety then it gets called "victim blaming." In other words, IMO, LE can't win no matter what.

They will eventually find her when someone stumbles across her remains. I just don't see searches actively looking for her in all that vegetation and fields. People have been driving through there giving us updates that city is like vacated during the day.
bbm
Yep -- hunting season is a common time for the bodies of missing persons to be found. Some of the first remains of Ted Bundy's victims weren't found until a hunter stumbled onto bones which were id'd fairly quickly.

Since the PC, this thread is moving so fast that I am not sure if someone else has stated this observation. If so, I apologize for the repeat. I just noticed on the new website this statement: "A large reward is being offered for information leading to the recovery of Mollie." They used to say "for the safe return of Mollie". This just made me unbelievably sad and disheartened. :(

They absolutely have a timeline. Why wont they release it!!!!???? Very baffling technique.

They kind of did. Or at least they narrowed it down. The web site focuses on getting information from 5PM-10PM on July 18. So I think it is fair to say that whatever may have happened was during that time period. And logically, they think it happened close to the middle of that time period because they would want info from anyone who may have seen the before and after. That's much more than they've given in the past in terms of a timeline.

What was said today is what is or should be said at the first PC announcing a person is missing.

Not one thing said “we have a POI” but “need 10,000 more useless tips on this non-working website just in case”.

They clearly do NOT know what happened to Mollie in any way, shape or form. Not for lack of trying I’m sure but the lack of asking the public the right questions a month ago may indeed come back to haunt them.
Jmo

One cannot run to their phones and call the police, every time someone cleans their car, gets a haircut, fixes a tire, has insomnia, or changes their schedules!! These are all perfectly normal behaviors.

That's not what they're saying at all. People have routines. If someone started changing or acting differently or nervously at the time of the disappearance, LE will want to look into it. I mean maybe it's a coincidence that someone happened to not come home the night she disappeared and then shaved his head and grew a beard and dumped his car and started drinking heavily and got angry any time Mollie was mentioned on TV, but that's certainly someone LE would want to talk to, wouldn't you think?

Them saying they don’t believe the public is in danger doesn’t necessarily mean they know what happened ... but they can’t claim the public is in danger if they don’t know what happened. Right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelpingHandz