Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #25

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
From https://findingmollie.iowa.gov/:

Law enforcement is currently seeking additional witnesses and wants to speak to anyone who was in the areas indicated below on July 18, 2018 between the hours of 5PM and 10PM." (bbm)

Maybe I'm reading too much in to it, but the 5pm time frame seems a bit earlier than previously discussed. I'm guessing they just have some reason to be curious about the time leading up to whatever they suspect happened to her- this makes sense if they do have a perp in mind (maybe they knew the person was in town starting around 5 or something of that nature).

They aren't casting doubt that she was dropped off at 5:30 and texting with her mom though, right? If I read those two paragraphs together, it kind of sounds like they are. But, if I keep them as separate thoughts in my mind, I think it means that she hasn't been credibly seen or heard from since she was seen running, and then separately, they also want to hear from people at those spots from 5-10pm.

Just my thoughts.

I took including the last half hour of MT work to mean she could have made contact with someone during that point in time before her brother picked her up. Perhaps if not the perp someone who may have talked with her and hope she may have revealed her plans that night to him/her. Or simply anyone witnessing MT speaking with anyone who could have followed her and her brother home to see where she lived. Anything. I think LE would be interested in MT and her surrounds before the crime especially because she could have interacted with that person that close to going missing.

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but, my two cents:
I suspect LE is watching the website's traffic very closely, in the hopes that the perp will visit it - to see the map. The map that you can only see by clicking on a website. LE can track the IP, address, etc. of the people who visit the site.

I think LE just set a brilliant trap.

If so, are we defeating their purpose by posting about it here?

I noted in the press conference that search warrantS have been served. It's not easy to get a search warrant, you need probable cause and articulable facts to get a judge to authorize a search warrant. The language in the PC was very deliberate and their tone over the past 3 weeks, more so lately, has been very controlled.
Husband was in the hospital today for surgery, so I missed the presser!

Did LE say that they DON’T believe Mollie is alive anymore?
No, sorry. That was my own interpretations based on what they did say. It's my opinion only... Reading between the lines and having "some" experience in investigations. Didn't mean to confuse.

Last edited:
An update to my earlier question about the area across from the car wash: When I went to the map on the website they put together, it looks like Doc's Auto Sales is across the street.

I would assume later in the evening, it may not be open/manned, and if there are regularly cars parked there, it could still be a good place to park unassuming.

Husband was in the hospital today for surgery, so I missed the presser!

Did LE say that they DON’T believe Mollie is alive anymore?
They didn’t say much of anything you can watch it it’s posted in the thread

Okay, the start of a new theory. Is there anywhere in town that someone from out of town might work and finish work about 5 pm? My timeline is based on nothing, so you haven't missed anything if something doesn't sound right to you!

This guy gets off work at 5:00, cleans up a bit, talks to a few people and gets out of the building 5:15-5:30. He stops at the car wash because he's in no hurry to get home, or he may have seen MT running some days when he had worked later than usual and was hanging around town waiting to see if she'd be out that day too. After washing the car, he goes to the truck stop to eat dinner/supper and flirt with waitresses, talk to other's there and maybe get some gas. By this time, it's already close to 7:30, and he decides to make a run through town to see if he sees MT (or just looking for any vulnerable girl if he hadn't seen her before), and sees her toward the beginning of her run. He drives around a bit waiting for her to get to a fairly isolated spot, but tries not to be obvious enough to spook her.

Since the routes we've had mapped out seem a little bit short to me, I think she kept going straight on 2nd until she got to 385th. When she turned there, or just before she did, he stopped and got her into his vehicle one way or another. Then it gets pretty vague in my mind... I'll say he took her to the spot east of town (the woods?) and assaulted her there, and most likely left her body there but didn't realize her phone had dropped on the floor of his vehicle. He then headed home, but heard MT's phone ring or make some sound to say a message had come in and realized the phone was there. He grabbed it and turned it off, and then somewhere down the road he threw it away.

Probably not a word of truth in this, but at least it sort of fits. MOO

Can you perhaps elaborate?

It's all wrong so there is no place to start.

There's no rule saying that government can only keep track of incoming IP addresses on a .gov domain and not an .org domain.

"Restricted access"? You can't claim restricted access when it's an open website that not only is open for the public to visit, but is one that you've openly invited people to visit.

Keeping track of IP addresses? There are probably hundreds of thousands of people who have visited the site, just to view information on a case with major news coverage. You seriously think the cops are going to look at every IP, get a subpoena from a judge where the justification boils down to "this person went to a website we publicized during a press conference about a missing person whose case has been on national news", not have the judge laugh, not have the ISP laugh, then do what, go find Granny who is "concerned about that young girl who went missing in Iowa" and grill her at the police station about where she was on July 18th? Maybe do good cop-bad cop?

From https://findingmollie.iowa.gov/:

"On Wednesday, July 18, 2018, Mollie Tibbetts was last seen jogging in Brooklyn, Iowa in the evening hours. There have been no credible sightings of, or communications with, Mollie since that time.

Law enforcement is currently seeking additional witnesses and wants to speak to anyone who was in the areas indicated below on July 18, 2018 between the hours of 5PM and 10PM." (bbm)

Maybe I'm reading too much in to it, but the 5pm time frame seems a bit earlier than previously discussed. I'm guessing they just have some reason to be curious about the time leading up to whatever they suspect happened to her- this makes sense if they do have a perp in mind (maybe they knew the person was in town starting around 5 or something of that nature).

They aren't casting doubt that she was dropped off at 5:30 and texting with her mom though, right? If I read those two paragraphs together, it kind of sounds like they are. But, if I keep them as separate thoughts in my mind, I think it means that she hasn't been credibly seen or heard from since she was seen running, and then separately, they also want to hear from people at those spots from 5-10pm.

Just my thoughts.

It could be that they are interested in a particular vehicle. Throughout their interviews, if the vehicle was seen by someone else at 5 pm (but they did not see the driver), perhaps they are trying to find someone else who did?

One of the strangest things my son warned me about, when he began his cop job, was to be cautious around CAR WASHES. I was like 'What?'

Turns out that local drug dealers love to hang out there to make transactions. They are shielded somewhat, and can make exchanges relatively out of sight. And if a cop drives by they continue 'washing' their car. lol

On the local cops street patrol, they often make regular cruises through the Do It Yourself car washes to keep the dealers on their toes.

Mollie may have jogged by the car wash, not realizing who was lurking there, watching?
In my neck of the woods, the drug dealers hang out in Denny's parking lots. I am not sure why, but I have witnessed it.

I wonder if RT will backtrack on his theory that Mollie is with someone she knows and thinks she is still alive. It will be interesting to see what he has to say in any future interviews. Everyone looked a bit defeated during the press conference. I felt SO bad for them.
Yes, I watched the replay of the press conference, and maybe it is my laptop but the people behind the speaker did not have good poker faces, and Mollie's Mom and Dad looked really bummed. Even the news teams looked sad.

What time was this filmed? Was it early in the morning while everyone was sleeping? I saw 3 people in all those vids driving around except one with Mollies Dad. One man getting in his truck, two people driving in a golf cart and a guy on a scooter. No kids anywhere, no kids playing in the front yards or neighborhood, no one riding bicycles, no one coming or going in their houses, walking on the driveways, no one taking a walk, walking dogs or jogging. Even driving through town their were cars parked but no people anywhere!!! Where is everyone? It’s like totally dead. This is just so bizarre to me. I’ve lived in some small towns but it was nothing like this. All those big corn fields that’s where she is if she didn’t purposely get out of this town. I would go insane living there. Where do people work around there? The homes are very pretty but I would be miserable living there as a teen or young adult. I got to get off here watching these vids has depressed me. Ugh.

I kind of dug it. It looks very much like my small town. You wouldn't see people outside during the week, either. Most people work out of town and don'tget home until early evening. Thanks to urban sprawl, our downtown area is mostly empty buildings; the few stores that are there close around 5. People keep to themselves. One of the reasons I enjoy our annual Mushroom Festival is because it's two days out of the year that our town actually comes alive.

This way of life may not be for everyone, but many of us love it. I have lived in several large cities and all over the world, but I prefer the quiet isolation of my small town-even with its dead downtown and empty streets. We have seen no indication that Mollie was unhappy there. Indeed, the fact that she returned home for the summer when college students generally have other options available says something, as does the fact that she chose a university close to home in Iowa (when she probably could have looked at places nearer her father).

And without being morbid, having grown up around cornfields and tobacco farms, if she were deceased in one of them right now, it wouldn't be hard to find her. A deer died in the cornfield across the road from us last week. Within 24 hours, it was obvious from a 5-mile radius. Critters come and you can't miss them.

Last edited:
An update to my earlier question about the area across from the car wash: When I went to the map on the website they put together, it looks like Doc's Auto Sales is across the street.

I would assume later in the evening, it may not be open/manned, and if there are regularly cars parked there, it could still be a good place to park unassuming.
Yes! And using the car wash on the map is a way to distract from that specific spot but still in the area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Curious38