Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #25

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
At the PC, the speaker paused before saying "abroad." I think he misspoke and in the moment was trying to think of a word to describe other counties outside of the county. "Out of state" or "out of our jurisdiction" may have been more appropriate than abroad, but I didn't read anything into it and didn't think he meant there was really some foreign connection.

Wow... I haven't been to this site in years, but this case has caught my attention like all of you.

I am an active 28 year law enforcement officer with a major municipal agency.
From the LE website, if I am interpreting this correctly, LE believed the following;
  • They are looking for a man
  • A vehicle was involved in transportation of Mollie, and possibly criminal acts besides
  • The individual they are looking for works or lives in the area
  • He has his own vehicle
  • He is fairly mainstream
  • He has a cell phone
  • She was taken after 5pm, but he was in the area by 5pm
  • By 10pm they believe he, and probably Mollie, were out of the area
  • He probably has family or close friends who would note his unavailability for a period of hours
  • The believe she is no longer alive
  • They have suspects on their radar
I'm sure none of this is new to anyone here, just thought I'd add another LE perspective.

Husband was in the hospital today for surgery, so I missed the presser!

Did LE say that they DON’T believe Mollie is alive anymore?

I wonder if the lot across from the car wash is still vacant 5 years later. It looks like some broken down vehicles and a bus are there in this shot from Sept '13. Just thinking if it is still a vacant gravel lot that regularly has abandoned vehicles parked there, could someone have parked there and grabbed her from that point if she ran past the car wash? They are asking for people who were at the car wash that night, but this area is just across the street and if you were at the car wash, you may have seen someone sitting in a vehicle over there, etc. But perhaps that person would be out of view or not as easily viewed on the car wash cameras. Just a thought/question I had.

EDIT: From a different angle it does look like there is a small brick building in that lot. I wonder what that is?

From https://findingmollie.iowa.gov/:

"On Wednesday, July 18, 2018, Mollie Tibbetts was last seen jogging in Brooklyn, Iowa in the evening hours. There have been no credible sightings of, or communications with, Mollie since that time.

Law enforcement is currently seeking additional witnesses and wants to speak to anyone who was in the areas indicated below on July 18, 2018 between the hours of 5PM and 10PM." (bbm)

I am curious why they are limiting the hours to 10 PM. It makes sense to have an expiration if LE knows that she left the area at this time. How could they know this? Have they figured out the original send time and place of the Snapchat to DJ at 10 PM?

Thank you for clarifying as I missed the start of the PC - and once I realized they weren't likely to provide much in the way of details - I was bummed and lost a significant amount of interest in the PC.
It states exactly that on the new website. It is written no one said it.

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but, my two cents:

LE didn't display the new website's map (the one with the interact-able red circles) at the PC. They could have. They had a satellite image map propped up there, all it was missing was the red circles. They gave the website, a .gov website, mind you -- not a .org website -- meaning the website has restricted access, and allows governmental agencies to monitor its traffic.

I suspect LE is watching the website's traffic very closely, in the hopes that the perp will visit it - to see the map. The map that you can only see by clicking on a website. LE can track the IP, address, etc. of the people who visit the site.

I think LE just set a brilliant trap.
Uh, there are dozens of anonymous proxy services available, some free and some paid, which would allow someone so disposed to view the site without revealing his native IP address.

Also on the FBI flyer:

"Mollie Cecelia Tibbetts was last seen on July 18, 2018, running on Pershing Drive in Brooklyn, Iowa. She was wearing shorts and a sports bra, though the color of the clothing is unknown."

I just watched the presser. Didn't they say (again) that the general public was not at risk?

BBM: Yes, or to be more exact, they said they "don't feel the public is at risk per se."
Am I the only one who had a problem with them throwing that phrase in at the end? Usually there's a big "but" that follows on the heels of it.

I have to admit, when LE started asking the public to think of any vehicles that had unexplained damage, or however they worded it, my first thought was poor Mickey Shunick, and it gave me the heebie-jeebies to think that Mollie may have suffered a similar fate. Mickey is one of the cases I have followed here that really hit me particularly hard, for some reason.

From https://findingmollie.iowa.gov/:

"On Wednesday, July 18, 2018, Mollie Tibbetts was last seen jogging in Brooklyn, Iowa in the evening hours. There have been no credible sightings of, or communications with, Mollie since that time.

Law enforcement is currently seeking additional witnesses and wants to speak to anyone who was in the areas indicated below on July 18, 2018 between the hours of 5PM and 10PM." (bbm)

Maybe I'm reading too much in to it, but the 5pm time frame seems a bit earlier than previously discussed. I'm guessing they just have some reason to be curious about the time leading up to whatever they suspect happened to her- this makes sense if they do have a perp in mind (maybe they knew the person was in town starting around 5 or something of that nature).

They aren't casting doubt that she was dropped off at 5:30 and texting with her mom though, right? If I read those two paragraphs together, it kind of sounds like they are. But, if I keep them as separate thoughts in my mind, I think it means that she hasn't been credibly seen or heard from since she was seen running, and then separately, they also want to hear from people at those spots from 5-10pm.

Just my thoughts.
Yes I believe now that the 5-10pm time frame is inclusive of noticing possible perps or vehicles. Interestingly, the first paragraph seems to rule out the she made it home and was doing homework late into the evening hours.

Uh, there are dozens of anonymous proxy services available, some free and some paid, which would allow someone so disposed to view the site without revealing his native IP address.
I have some knowledge about VPNs. But, even if there's only a .001% chance that the perp wouldn't use a VPN, it's worth checking out. MOO

I wonder if RT will backtrack on his theory that Mollie is with someone she knows and thinks she is still alive. It will be interesting to see what he has to say in any future interviews. Everyone looked a bit defeated during the press conference. I felt SO bad for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nikkirhea