Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #25

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Chicago is four hours east off I80. That's an easy round trip drive for a murderer, he gets in and out quick for his murder fix. Poor Mollie. I feel so bad for her and her Mom and Dad. I don't see this having a happy ending.

True, but could infer same for Des Moines, Minneapolis, KC, & STL (to name a few). IMHO this has more the feel of someone who is familiar with Brooklyn, knows the back roads, & wouldn’t stand out in a small town.

I’ve got a weird feeling whatever happened to Mollie was done by a young person even a teenager high on drugs. Were the carnies in their trailers and tents at that time? Many are drifters and homeless who join the carnival. Before my husband retired he said they had more crime and drugs then usual mainly meth, heroin and crack cocaine also more break ins and theft then usual.
I’ve got a weird feeling whatever happened to Mollie was done by a young person even a teenager high on drugs. Were the carnies in their trailers and tents at that time? Many are drifters and homeless who join the carnival. Before my husband retired he said they had more crime and drugs then usual mainly meth, heroin and crack cocaine also more break ins and theft then usual.
Now I'm wondering did the FBI and other investigators interview all these carnies if they were there? I mean they would have stood out like a sore thumb. Big red flag.

Re: the trucker theory.. someone mentioned it would be hard to drive a semi on her jogging route. If they were hooked up to a trailer/load it would be very difficult but bob tailing would be easy. My husband is a truck driver and my father in law owns a trucking company and we all live in the country, very rural areas.. my husband parks his truck at our house everyday. You would be surprised where you can drive/fit a semi, if you’re good at it.

LE will need a lot more evidence than someone checking out the website. How would that even work? Your Honor, we know it's him because he looked at the map??

I had a stalker for 5 years. We had a slight suspicion as to who it was, but nothing concrete. They would send me harassing emails from different accounts, post awful comments on my blog, etc and that was just the digital stuff. The in person stuff was awful. (They broke into our house 3 times.) LE was finally able to figure it out when they surveyed my website (I didn't have a hosted site in the beginning, just a blog.) In a 6-month timeframe, the same IP visited my site 21,000 times. They cross-referenced that with other things that we were able to digitally track. The comments and emails weren't enough on their own, but taken altogether... Once they arrested my stalker for cyberstalking, they fingerprinted them and the prints matched the ones found in the break-ins. They weren't in the system before that.

It isn't perfect, but sometimes that info can help LE connect the dots. In my case, Amazon even helped with the digital stuff. They found out that 8 of my bad reviews on my books also came from that IP. The weird thing is that the stalker was so crazy that it wasn't just bad stuff they sent me-they would post scathing comments on my blog and then send me a sweet email under another name, commisserating with me about the nasty commenters (which was them).

Thanks Otto. I'm 5'3" and 120 and could be overtaken easily IMO.
It’s always fascinating to me how everyone perceives things differently. Granted I am much taller at 5’10”, but only 130lbs and I don’t consider myself easily overtaken at all. In my mind it’s largely about attitude/reaction. There’s a statistic I was taught in a self defense class that if you can scream for 1 minute, the chances of you getting away increase significantly. I haven’t followed closely enough to make an educated guess about how timid or outspoken MT is (and truly, who knows how someone, even yourself, would actually react in that kind of situation). If she was very headstrong though, I’d be more inclined to think it was someone she knew whereas if she was more quiet I’d lean toward the stranger/random abduction angle.

Right, and the times they don't get lucky, it usually barely makes the local news.

The one who killed Sierrah Joughlin had an earlier "not lucky" attempt.

The one who killed Amber Dubois and Chelsea King had a "not lucky" attempt, in the same geographical area, between those two.
Exactly. On Paula Zahn last night, the suspect was able to kidnap and murder a little girl who was riding her bicycle. The same guy later attacked a 24 year old riding a bicycle. Luckily for her, a car happened to drive by during her attack, saving her life. Both attacks occurred in relatively isolated areas.

But there are two close together in front which I believe are lights.

I think they are cameras. I think the one in middle between bays is looking at money changer so it can get more of a persons face and not just the top of their head and the one above the bay on the rt is looking at incomeing cars so if someone claims damaged there they have video that shows was or wasn't. looks like in encasements so soap etc doesn't damage cameras.

I am curious why they are limiting the hours to 10 PM. It makes sense to have an expiration if LE knows that she left the area at this time. How could they know this? Have they figured out the original send time and place of the Snapchat to DJ at 10 PM?
I believe because 7:30 is the time they are interested in most and that time is right between 5 and 10

From https://findingmollie.iowa.gov/:

"On Wednesday, July 18, 2018, Mollie Tibbetts was last seen jogging in Brooklyn, Iowa in the evening hours. There have been no credible sightings of, or communications with, Mollie since that time.

Law enforcement is currently seeking additional witnesses and wants to speak to anyone who was in the areas indicated below on July 18, 2018 between the hours of 5PM and 10PM." (bbm)

Maybe I'm reading too much in to it, but the 5pm time frame seems a bit earlier than previously discussed. I'm guessing they just have some reason to be curious about the time leading up to whatever they suspect happened to her- this makes sense if they do have a perp in mind (maybe they knew the person was in town starting around 5 or something of that nature).

They aren't casting doubt that she was dropped off at 5:30 and texting with her mom though, right? If I read those two paragraphs together, it kind of sounds like they are. But, if I keep them as separate thoughts in my mind, I think it means that she hasn't been credibly seen or heard from since she was seen running, and then separately, they also want to hear from people at those spots from 5-10pm.

Just my thoughts.
maybe the 5pm goes along with them believing that the person involved is not a stranger to Brooklyn and possibly was working there or doing business there prior to 5pm when a lot of business would be wrapping up.

I understand this is a very serious matter but couldn't help but chuckle reading your comment... Obviously in jest but with truth as well. Thanks for the much needed levity.

I kinda giggled also...it is quite the laundry list.

If what happened wasn't preplanned to go the way it did--hit and run or someone stopped by "just to talk" and things went sideways or whatever--the perp may have found themselves stuck driving around with a body to conceal/crime scene to clean up and no body-concealing/crime-scene-scrubbing supplies.

From too many hours of watching Dateline/48 Hours/DiscoveryID I've noticed that a surprisingly large number of folks who find themselves in that spot end up going immediately to the nearest big box store--one with a huge loss prevention budget and so cameras galore--and purchasing the necessary implements and chemicals. Sometimes the perps do this at an hour that you'd think the cashier would look at someone buying saws, shovels, bleach, Red Bull and a pack of gum at 3 am and immediately notify LE.
They don't notify squat. I did that at Walgreens just for fun in the middle of the night about 5 years back. I asked for a tarp, etc. The pharmacist was very matter of fact. Crazy. edit: that was iowa city, muscatine drive

I do believe convicted Felons ex cons should be able to get jobs and have the opportunity to change their life around.

Of course. In my city it was a program to reintroduce them into society. There was a counseling program that goes with it. One of the things they learned was that things that happen are not directed at them For instance, if they are in line for a long time someplace, it is not a hostile plot, Different things like that.

Anyway, simply pointing out the reality and discussing the possibility of car wash workers.

In my city, another group that were hired at the car wash are teen boys. Always hilarious to me thinking of the state of a teen boy’s room.

My son and son -in -law both worked at a car wash while attending college. They told me about their coworkers.

My daughter worked in the rehab for awhile teaching new skills to recently released prisoners. It is a great program

I agree. After watching the videos that SharonNeedles posted (excellent work btw), I don't think it's out the realm for her to be abducted. It's a small town, sure - but it's also very rural. Especially if she was on one of the back roads, who would even hear/see anything? It reminds me of a lot of rural areas I've driven thru in WI, and if she wasn't in a neighborhood when she was running then I think an abduction would be quick and quiet :(
Where I live so many joggers, dog walkers and casual walkers everywhere. Usually early in the morning before work when it’s cooler not so much in the evening. I’m just not used to seeing rural roads like SharonN posted and imagine a young single girl all by herself wanting to go it alone. I would probably get a treadmill. DJ is young so I guess he is cool with her jogging alone or she might do it anyway. It’s probably no different then leaving your door unlocked until it happens to you. I warn my son to shut his windows in the summer because intruders look for that knowing peeps leave windows open when it’s hot. He doesn’t listen to me he’s in his own apt so at least I try.

I always wondered about that. What a great story to go with your 'handle'. Thanks again for taking us through Brooklyn.

You are so familiar with all of this when do you make of this new map and area? I'm completely lost when it comes to maping of places I don't know.
Actually I think this new map tells us a lot. Watch this video again. At 1:30 I'm driving West on Historic US 6, then I turn right onto 385th Ave. That section of 385th Ave. (one of the highlighted areas) is gravel then dirt. Yes, dirt. Mollie is not going to run down that road. Out of towners are not going to come in to town that way. And once it rains nobody is going down that road except for 4wd mud runners who will leave evidence of it. The only conceivable reason that section of road is highlighted is that somehow Mollie can be placed there. Note it's that's the quickest and easiest route from DJ's house to Grinnell when it's dry.

Go to 12:10 in the video, as I'm heading West down 2nd street you'll see that carwash on my right. What's the significance of a carwash in Brooklyn? It's right along Mollie's running route. I didn't pay any mind to it, it would be a terrible place to try to snatch somebody unnoticed at 7:30pm at night. But what if she saw someone she knows there? What if she stopped and talked, then got in the car and caught a lift back to the house? It's a straight shot to DJ's house from there. And we know we're looking at that carwash in reference to Wednesday night before it rained.

If what happened wasn't preplanned to go the way it did--hit and run or someone stopped by "just to talk" and things went sideways or whatever--the perp may have found themselves stuck driving around with a body to conceal/crime scene to clean up and no body-concealing/crime-scene-scrubbing supplies.

From too many hours of watching Dateline/48 Hours/DiscoveryID I've noticed that a surprisingly large number of folks who find themselves in that spot end up going immediately to the nearest big box store--one with a huge loss prevention budget and so cameras galore--and purchasing the necessary implements and chemicals. Sometimes the perps do this at an hour that you'd think the cashier would look at someone buying saws, shovels, bleach, Red Bull and a pack of gum at 3 am and immediately notify LE.
I’m a fan of the same shows and you are absolutely right. Do they have a camera in the tru value hardware store in town Sharon pointed out in the video. If they checked it on July 18th May see the perp.

I think it's been made as simple as possible to make it user friendly. Not everyone is a tech-savvy millennial. Many people have difficulty navigating websites, and this one is pretty easy to use and understand. Anything too sophisticated would be discouraging and frustrating if a person is not really computer literate. I like the approach they took with this website.....don't make it hard on the public to reach out to LE.
This was my initial feeling too. Keep it as easy as possible.

It's a data point. If the person says they have no interest in the case and don't even know who the girl is, yet they have 682 visits to the site when the average across all IPs is 3, I think that's a valuable data point. You can then ask the person about it. It would certainly throw someone off guard.

Maybe so. I often thought because of me checking here in the Lindsey Baum case several times a day for the first several weeks, that if I didn't live across the country I would have been looked at. I still check every few days. And now here I am checking a lot again... this time for a resolution for Mollie. Both cases touch my heart. I wonder how often people are looked at because of a strong interest in a case?

I believe because 7:30 is the time they are interested in most and that time is right between 5 and 10

I see what most of you are saying about the timeframe, and I guess the focus is on the time of abduction. Maybe I’m wrong, but if it’s believed to be an ongoing kidnapping/someone is held against their will wouldn’t LE want people to report anything unusual from 5 PM until the present...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MisstressNifer