Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #28

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I totally believe him. He doesn’t know Mollie and had no particular reason to remember details about somebody he regulary sees jogging on his street.

I believe him too, isn't he the witness that first posted on the Sheriff's Facebook page a few days after her disappearance? Seems like it just took the media a week or two to catch up with and interview him.

For reference purposes, here's what has been reported about Mollie doing homework after her run. One can form their own opinion. If you choose to use it to form a theory.

"Kim Calderwood, her aunt, told ABC News. "The run happened and then she was at the house as far as we know. I don't think she would've run in the dark."

"Family members told KCCI on Saturday that evidence shows she was doing homework on her computer late in the evening on July 18. Authorities declined to release a specific time, saying it could hinder the investigation."

"BROOKLYN, Iowa (KMTV) -- The older brother of 20-year-old Mollie Tibbetts says investigators told him evidence shows she was doing homework on her computer last Wednesday evening."

"She had been dog-sitting at her boyfriend’s house — which he shares with his brother and the brother’s fiancée, according to Fox News — and after her run, she returned to the home to do homework, police have said."

"Neighbor Dave Collum, a retired maintenance director for the school district, said he was interviewed by investigators who told him that data from Tibbetts' Fitbit showed she jogged past his home that evening and made it home from the run safely. He said investigators told him she was doing homework on her computer later that evening."

"According to Fox News, Tibbetts had been dog sitting at her boyfriend’s house and after her run, she returned to the home to do homework, policesay. But at some point, she vanished. The FBI is investigating foul play."

"Tibbetts was last seen jogging through her 1,400-person town of Brooklyn, Iowa, on July 18, but local reports say she’s believed to have made it home safely after her run, and was using her computer to do homework later in the night."
The issue is, these reports came from the early days of the investigation. More throrough analysis performed at a later point, may have changed LE’s thinking here. So it’s a maybe for me.

There are two guys on the registry anywhere near her route, both committed their offenses when they were 13.
Doing the math based on one site, one offender would've been 14/15 and the victims were 0-13 and the other offender would've been 19/20 and the victim was 0-13. I'm estimating age due to the conviction possibly being months after the actual incident. They are currently 30 and 35 respectively.

He could still be a sex offender from outside the community, and LE would be looking at offenders within a particular radius of Brooklyn. I’m not saying the perp is a sex offender, just that they would cover their bases by interviewing them.

I have no doubt that the person who abducted Mollie is a sex offender. He may or may not have an arrest record. Based on the last press conference, my understanding is that he is not from the Brooklyn community, but he is familiar with the community. Someone who lives 100 miles away from Brooklyn might be familiar with the community. I'm sure that police have interviewed people who are on the sex offender list near Brooklyn.

He seemed quite unsettled with knowing that the girl who often jogged down his street was all over the news as a missing person. Although he mentioned something like black 3/4 length yoga pants rather than shorts, that's a minor detail that seems irrelevant. It's quite possible that she sometimes jogged in shorts and other times in yoga pants.
I would never Remember what a certain jogger was wearing on a certain day, but could still recognize the jogger based on hair in a ponytail and general appearance. I think he recognized it was her by recalling which day it was when he last saw her, and I believe he did see her on that day. He may not have the outfit exactly right but he saw her. Also... did the others witnesses who saw her jogging say her hair was pulled back in a ponytail? I haven't seen it anywhere.

And there are plenty of other sex offenders in the region.

Yes, but some are far more likely to need deeper investigation. For instance, they are going to be looking at high risk offenders first, especially those who are more likely to commit the particular crime in question. For instance, if a sex offender, even a high risk one, has a rap sheet for being a pedophile that has molested a number of young children all under the age of 7, he is not going to be high on the list of suspects. On the other hand, a tier 3 offender that has raped teen or college aged girls is going to be right near the top.

I have no doubt that the person who abducted Mollie is a sex offender. He may or may not have an arrest record. Based on the last press conference, my understanding is that he is not from the Brooklyn community, but he is familiar with the community. Someone who lives 100 miles away from Brooklyn might be familiar with the community. I'm sure that police have interviewed people who are on the sex offender list near Brooklyn.
That’s a great point. Not all sex offenders have been caught, especially if they are on the younger side.

Yes. Pull the battery and the SIM card, and your phone is an inert piece of hardware. It ain't talkin' with nothing!

Without the phone to sync with, no more Fitbit data or run tracking can be uploaded to the Cloud, as Fitbit uses Bluetooth to connect to the phone at short ranges (20 feet or less) - meaning that a Fitbit can't ping off of a cell tower or communicate with a GPS satellite (via an incoming signal the phone uses to figure out where it is - e.g geolocate) on its own. Also, if you lock a phone in a cookie tin can or an ammo can - any heavy metal box or maybe even a Mylar potato chip bag (e.g. a Faraday cage) that should also block any incoming/outgoing signals to/from a cellphone. If in doubt, then go to work with a hammer on the phone (and his little friend Fitbit too) after pulling the battery and SIM card from the phone, wrap the pieces in a roll of aluminum foil folds, bake at 325 degrees for several hours, and hide the phone remains at the bottom of a coal mine! Let NSA find that!

I read recently that Apple is developing hardware driven Technology that will allow not yet released Iphones to call 911 (and, presumably, maybe be able to geolocate via GPS satellite info, and MAYBE allow Apple to ping a "dead" phone's location) if the phone has no battery (for you technerds out there, the article did not say how - maybe a capacitor?). But this Tech is still down the road.

I hope this helps.

MOO
There is no "pulling the battery" in an iPhone.

For reference purposes, here's what has been reported about Mollie doing homework after her run. One can form their own opinion. If you choose to use it to form a theory.

"Kim Calderwood, her aunt, told ABC News. "The run happened and then she was at the house as far as we know. I don't think she would've run in the dark."

"Family members told KCCI on Saturday that evidence shows she was doing homework on her computer late in the evening on July 18. Authorities declined to release a specific time, saying it could hinder the investigation."

"BROOKLYN, Iowa (KMTV) -- The older brother of 20-year-old Mollie Tibbetts says investigators told him evidence shows she was doing homework on her computer last Wednesday evening."

"She had been dog-sitting at her boyfriend’s house — which he shares with his brother and the brother’s fiancée, according to Fox News — and after her run, she returned to the home to do homework, police have said."

"Neighbor Dave Collum, a retired maintenance director for the school district, said he was interviewed by investigators who told him that data from Tibbetts' Fitbit showed she jogged past his home that evening and made it home from the run safely. He said investigators told him she was doing homework on her computer later that evening."

"According to Fox News, Tibbetts had been dog sitting at her boyfriend’s house and after her run, she returned to the home to do homework, policesay. But at some point, she vanished. The FBI is investigating foul play."

"Tibbetts was last seen jogging through her 1,400-person town of Brooklyn, Iowa, on July 18, but local reports say she’s believed to have made it home safely after her run, and was using her computer to do homework later in the night."

Bump. Merci, Giving!

Otto, thanks for showing the way!

The issue is, these reports came from the early days of the investigation. More throrough analysis performed at a later point, may have changed LE’s thinking here. So it’s a maybe for me.

:) It's all a maybe for me. Some are dead set she was taken while jogging. Some opine she made it home. Some think a stranger, some think it's a known person. As long as it keeps us thinking of Mollie, it's all good.

Yes, but some are far more likely to need deeper investigation. For instance, they are going to be looking at high risk offenders first, especially those who are more likely to commit the particular crime in question. For instance, if a sex offender, even a high risk one, has a rap sheet for being a pedophile that has molested a number of young children all under the age of 7, he is not going to be high on the list of suspects. On the other hand, a tier 3 offender that has raped teen or college aged girls is going to be right near the top.
And I don't think it would take long for LE to narrow the search by not only higher risk groups, but also persons in that group who would have reasons to be in Brooklyn, ie. job, farm ground, family, etc. At least those would be the ones top on the list.

I have always believed the brothers statement. It came around the same time the neighbor stated the same thing. I think LE informed them both of this early on, and then since it was something investigators announced would not be discussed, there was nothing further. Which ever investigator told them this, it was right after FBI first arrived, and he may have slipped out the information before he knew it wasn't to be revealed. Jmo

Yes. Pull the battery and the SIM card, and your phone is an inert piece of hardware. It ain't talkin' with nothing!

Without the phone to sync with, no more Fitbit data or run tracking can be uploaded to the Cloud, as Fitbit uses Bluetooth to connect to the phone at short ranges (20 feet or less) - meaning that a Fitbit can't ping off of a cell tower or communicate with a GPS satellite (via an incoming signal the phone uses to figure out where it is - e.g geolocate) on its own. Also, if you lock a phone in a cookie tin can or an ammo can - any heavy metal box or maybe even a Mylar potato chip bag (e.g. a Faraday cage) that should also block any incoming/outgoing signals to/from a cellphone. If in doubt, then go to work with a hammer on the phone (and his little friend Fitbit too) after pulling the battery and SIM card from the phone, wrap the pieces in a roll of aluminum foil folds, bake at 325 degrees for several hours, and hide the phone remains at the bottom of a coal mine! Let NSA find that!

I read recently that Apple is developing hardware driven Technology that will allow not yet released Iphones to call 911 (and, presumably, maybe be able to geolocate via GPS satellite info, and MAYBE allow Apple to ping a "dead" phone's location) if the phone has no battery (for you technerds out there, the article did not say how - maybe a capacitor?). But this Tech is still down the road.

I hope this helps.

MOO

One additional thing. There is an internal battery which is inaccessible and provides peer to the click and skeletal functions. And it can record certain criteria.

:) It's all a maybe for me. Some are dead set she was taken while jogging. Some opine she made it home. Some think a stranger, some think it's a known person. As long as it keeps us thinking of Mollie, it's all good.

There's no evidence that Mollie communicated with anyone after she went jogging.

The reason that people speculated that she went jogging and then returned to the house-sit was based on a belief that she was doing homework on her online course later in the evening. If she was doing homework on her online course, there would be evidence that she "communicated" with that online course after 7:30PM (jogging time). That is, she would have refreshed a page or posted a comment - both of which indicate a form of digital communication. That digital communication would be confirmed through the LMS.

There is no evidence that she communicated with anyone after she went jogging, which means that we can eliminate the speculatation that she did homework later in the evening.

True, but usually LE would go out of their way to refute something so critical if they weren't virtually certain of it. This makes 2 people now - one witness who saw her jogging and this brother - that we know LE has told this to.

If she did make it home and do homework, this changes everything for me. If she did, she likely left to go out with someone. And that someone could've been a quite careful middle-aged married male with similar interests and perhaps even a degree of authority over her. We see these types of men groom and take advantage of young women all the time, only usually the only things that go missing are self-confidence and self-respect. Sometimes, though, things get out of hand. Maybe the wife found out. Who knows?

A friend or close associate would not need to do a street grab or a home invasion. He would use his familiarity to either be invited into the home or use her trust in him as a means to get her compliant into a vehicle.

There's no evidence that Mollie communicated with anyone after she went jogging.

The reason that people speculated that she went jogging and then returned to the house-sit was based on a belief that she was doing homework on her online course later in the evening. If she was doing homework on her online course, there would be evidence that she "communicated" with that online course after 7:30PM (jogging time). That is, she would have refreshed a page or posted a comment - both of which indicate a form of digital communication. That digital communication would be confirmed through the LMS.

There is no evidence that she communicated with anyone after she went jogging, which means that we can eliminate the speculatation that she did homework later in the evening.

Bump for reference, for me.

The information in that article from July 30 is speculation related to something on her computer. Police have since updated the information as follows:

"Mollie Tibbetts was last seen jogging in Brooklyn, Iowa in the evening hours. There have been no credible sightings of, or communications with, Mollie since that time."

https://findingmollie.iowa.gov/

This means that Mollie was not communicating through her online course after she went jogging. Therefore, there is no information or evidence to support the claim that Mollie returned home after she went jogging.

Thank you! This is what I remember but I didn’t have the info on hand to post. Busy day today. Just checking in and out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member