Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #28

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, that's crazy! These kids may be a bit younger, and you are talking about a school trip which is very different. Still, we have parents lining up to attend trips in our schools. Volunteers must meet qualifications and have criminal background checks as well.

Yeah I would think they did background checks on EVERYONE. I know a while back my husband and I went on a field trip with my kids (through a state homeschool program) and they did a background check on us and all the parents that wanted to attend. If we had not passed they were not going to allow us to go, because of being around all those young kids. I would assume that all the teachers had the same thing done. Not sure if that is done everywhere though. But with young kids I would think they did do background checks on everyone (or at least they should). I thought that was great for the kids' safety.

I totally believe him. He doesn’t know Mollie and had no particular reason to remember details about somebody he regulary sees jogging on his street.
True. I think he recognized HER but may not have recalled what she was wearing. Also, other witnesses described her in shorts, which those short yoga type leggings could be described as also. I don't think he ever said she was wearing full length leggings or ( yoga pants or whatever he said) see how it gets confusing?!

I think the sex offender could be from a neighboring country because they are only registered in the country in which they live and people in the next county over know nothing about them. They may be very familiar with Brooklyn because of the close proximity to where they live plus they could get out of the area rather quickly

I think the sex offender could be from a neighboring country because they are only registered in the country in which they live and people in the next county over know nothing about them. They may be very familiar with Brooklyn because of the close proximity to where they live plus they could get out of the area rather quickly
Agreed. I think the radius would be well into neighboring counties for that.

True, but usually LE would go out of their way to refute something so critical if they weren't virtually certain of it. This makes 2 people now - one witness who saw her jogging and this brother - that we know LE has told this to.

If she did make it home and do homework, this changes everything for me. If she did, she likely left to go out with someone. And that someone could've been a quite careful middle-aged married male with similar interests and perhaps even a degree of authority over her. We see these types of men groom and take advantage of young women all the time, only usually the only things that go missing are self-confidence and self-respect. Sometimes, though, things get out of hand. Maybe the wife found out. Who knows?

We know that she did not communicate with anyone after she went jogging.

"Mollie Tibbetts was last seen jogging in Brooklyn, Iowa in the evening hours. There have been no credible sightings of, or communications with, Mollie since that time."

https://findingmollie.iowa.gov/

If she had returned home to do homework using the LMS to access her online course, that constitutes digital communication - similar to sending a text. There is no communication after she went jogging, so there is no evidence at all that she returned to the house-sit after she went jogging.

Our late great Foxfire was very fond of pointing out that such offenders count and look for jurisdictional blinds, naturally.

I have not seen anyone speculate that the 'perp' may have used the computer to throw off the timeline. That seems like the big fulcrum point in establishing MT's location and potential time and point of abduction. I would imagine the computer was dusted for prints? If the perp returned to the house after the 'crime' and clicked a few buttons it would wreak havoc on nailing down the sequence of events.

True, but usually LE would go out of their way to refute something so critical if they weren't virtually certain of it. This makes 2 people now - one witness who saw her jogging and this brother - that we know LE has told this to.

If she did make it home and do homework, this changes everything for me. If she did, she likely left to go out with someone. And that someone could've been a quite careful middle-aged married male with similar interests and perhaps even a degree of authority over her. We see these types of men groom and take advantage of young women all the time, only usually the only things that go missing are self-confidence and self-respect. Sometimes, though, things get out of hand. Maybe the wife found out. Who knows?
I’m not sure that they would refute it here, simply because they have neither confirmed or denied many important aspects of this case. They said as much as one of their early press conferences. You’re absolutely right though, her making it home would change everything.

"Mollie Tibbetts was last seen jogging in Brooklyn, Iowa in the evening hours. There have been no credible sightings of, or communications with, Mollie since that time."

If she had returned home to do homework using the LMS to access her online course, that constitutes digital communication - similar to sending a text. There is no communication after she went jogging, so there is no evidence at all that she returned to the house-sit after she went jogging.

Yes, I agree. Online course work would constitute communication of a sort. Basically they are saying that they have no credible activity for Mollie since she went jogging.

That article does not say at what time she was doing the homework, only that she did it that evening. She could have done it before her run.
True, it has also been stayed as "late in the evening", but there are different versions of what late into the evening might be.

Although the type of data available depends on the device (a fitness tracker, iPad, iPhone, etc.), Stedman said law enforcement officials often look for GPS, heart rate, steps, and activity spikes. They don’t always need the device to sync to a computer to be able to pull data, he noted, which could be helpful in locating those who go missing, as in Mollie Tibbetts case.
Better to have it all, I shouldn't have cut the quote;)

I don't think doing homework is "communicating".

The reason that family speculated that she returned home and was doing homework was based on doing homework for an online course. Logging into an online course constitutes digital communication, as does refreshing a page of an online course, clicking on an article, and essentially doing anything with that online course. I'm guessing that her online course was open on her computer the following day.

If she was simply writing a paper for a course, there would be no way to determine when she did that homework, so no one would have claimed that writing a paper meant she returned home from jogging.

If she was doing homework using her online course after she went jogging, there would be digital communication between her laptop and the university LMS. Since police have said that there is no communication from Mollie after she went jogging, we know that she did not return home and use her computer to access her online course.

Doing online homework does not constitute having communication "with anyone". "Anyone" is persons. LE would have said "anyone or anything" if they were referring to her entire digital footprint. Plus, we also know that many texting and social media apps now auto-delete messages, so them not finding any communications does not prove that there were none.

JMO.

bumped for reference

Yeah I would think they did background checks on EVERYONE. I know a while back my husband and I went on a field trip with my kids (through a state homeschool program) and they did a background check on us and all the parents that wanted to attend. If we had not passed they were not going to allow us to go, because of being around all those young kids. I would assume that all the teachers had the same thing done. Not sure if that is done everywhere though. But with young kids I would think they did do background checks on everyone (or at least they should). I thought that was great for the kids' safety.
Yes, especially these days. In our school, they started requiring the back ground checks for all volunteers about 10 years ago. If you dont have it, no field trip with the kids. Even if you are the principals wife.

The reason that family speculated that she returned home and was doing homework was based on doing homework for an online course. Logging into an online course constitutes digital communication, as does refreshing a page of an online course, clicking on an article, and essentially doing anything with that online course. I'm guessing that her online course was open on her computer the following day.

If she was simply writing a paper for a course, there would be no way to determine when she did that homework, so no one would have claimed that writing a paper meant she returned home from jogging.

If she was doing homework using her online course after she went jogging, there would be digital communication between her laptop and the university LMS. Since police have said that there is no communication from Mollie after she went jogging, we know that she did not return home and use her computer to access her online course.
Just one minor point. If she was writing a paper there would likely be a record of that within the document itself. Microsoft Word for instance, automatically saves your document every 10 minutes (by default).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shouldersbroad