Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #29

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
In full press conference, Iowa authorities update the public on the Mollie Tibbetts search

I just went back and rewatched the most recent pc. One of the things that stood out to me was that Wednesday, July 18th is the date they focused on...they didn't ask for any information about seeing any suspicious vehicles, people, etc., on July 19th at all. IMO, even though they won't release their timeline, LE has concluded that the evening of July 18th is when the abduction occurred.

IMO, it would have helped if early on in the investigation LE had released any video footage they were able to obtain of MT from security cameras that evening. It might have helped jog some witnesses' memories. I think too much time has elapsed now, so any possible benefit of releasing any video footage of MT from that night is likely lost at this point. JMO.

In full press conference, Iowa authorities update the public on the Mollie Tibbetts search

I just went back and rewatched the most recent pc. One of the things that stood out to me was that Wednesday, July 18th is the date they focused on...they didn't ask for any information about seeing any suspicious vehicles, people, etc., on July 19th at all. IMO, even though they won't release their timeline, LE has concluded that the evening of July 18th is when the abduction occurred.

IMO, it would have helped if early on in the investigation LE had released any video footage they were able to obtain of MT from security cameras that evening. It might have helped jog some witnesses' memories. I think too much time has elapsed now, so any possible benefit of releasing any video footage of MT from that night is likely lost at this point. JMO.
I completely agree with you. As to the video, perhaps there isn’t any, or any video they have is of poor quality. If it does exist, and has any evidentiary value (car, suspicious person etc), I can’t imagine they wouldn’t have put it out there. Edit*I see now you were talking about video of HER specifically.

I completely agree with you. As to the video, perhaps there isn’t any, or any video they have is of poor quality. If it does exist, and has any evidentiary value (car, suspicious person etc), I can’t imagine they wouldn’t have put it out there.[/QUOTE]

BBM: Yes, that is what I'm wondering now. If they have no video footage at all from that night, then they're reliant on digital footprints and eyewitness statements. I hate to say this, but my own impression coming off that pc is that LE is floundering a bit right now, not for lack of effort, though. They are clearly focused on the mission of finding Molly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I completely agree with you. As to the video, perhaps there isn’t any, or any video they have is of poor quality. If it does exist, and has any evidentiary value (car, suspicious person etc), I can’t imagine they wouldn’t have put it out there.
Does that mean that the suspect may have got lucky, and missed being caught on the few cameras in town, or that he might be a local who purposely avoided those in town cameras ?

Does that mean that the suspect may have got lucky, and missed being caught on the few cameras in town, or that he might be a local who purposely avoided those in town cameras ?
I suppose both are possible. I guess it’s impossible to determine without knowing specifically where the cameras are, and where they point.

Not to rehash the past.. but one comment by WC just bugs me so very much- the "some guy has her" cannot figure out why he said that- why not just say I have no idea or I don't know? Does this bother anyone else or am I just stuck on it for some ridiculous reason that I cannot explain

snipped for focus

If someone is insulted, please report the post then scroll and roll. Let the mods handle it. They're excellent.

Also, you can ignore someone by clicking their name and choosing "ignore." They don't know, but their posts no longer show up for you. It can be a way to give someone a "time out" if you don't like their style or you aren't getting along.

I forget to add earlier, lots of high school and young adults were out driving around all summer. Many of them are pretty new at driving. They drive just because they still like it, like to show off their new ride, new beau, etc. They tend to drive through town numerous times a night, stop and get food, stop in a parking lot to talk and chill with each other, etc. This 5 area thing is interesting but late, imo. This "if you have any tip" isn't way to get information from the above population either. They need specific questions- and they needed them weeks ago - most are now back or going to school, etc. etc, and their brains are now focused on what has happened very recently, or is happening around them.

Last edited:
Security cameras only went out that night at the TPI or other places too?
I do not know. The car wash had outside camera film that LE took, but no info on the film, has been placed out for the public to see. I would guess they are trying to match up matching vehicle traffic in that area, with vehicle traffic at Casey's and the Truck Stops, during that evening and night.

According to the official Iowa RSO registry website on these neighborhood Tier 3 RSOs:
One is 6’2”, 240lbs and in his mid 30s, while the other is 5’3”, 150lbs, and in his mid 20s. It is definitely creepy. If you first heard about this case without knowing anything other than that she was abducted, this is the direction Occam’s razor would lead you. Especially given that they both probably see her running all the time and have had ample opportunity to plan and carry out any plans. However, I’m sure checking these high risk RSOs out was probably one of the first things LE did. Granted, such sexual predators fantasize about these things all the time for years, just stewing, and have had a long time to come up with a plan to satisfy their sick itch and also to avoid getting caught doing it. These particular RSOs must have given a rock solid alibi to LE, otherwise they will continue to be looked at closely until the resolution of this case.

I have quoted this before there are ten in this area of high risk offenders located within 10 miles of this place, there are some right on here path one of them.

Whenever I see profiles its always some guy in his mid 40's with partime kids or no kids, how about Sex offenders, they literally have been assigned risk level to do with interviews, and there past, I think the most likely profile is a high risk so that has already been arrested for something else.

That guy that killed dru sjodin recently got out of jail after 23 years for raping a girl and attempted abduciton drove 40 miles to grand forks stalked out local mall stalked a girl in the parking lot and threw her in car in plane sight, in a larger town of 70k people and no one saw or head anyhing.

Our jails are shoving these people back out all the time

Brooklyn is much smaller than where we live- and my 2 that still live in the area can tell you pretty much everyone that was home from college this summer, what they were doing for a job if any, where they were hanging out-and with whom, as well as any breakups, new partners, jealous old ones, and their stalkers- if any. The young adults in Brooklyn may be the best source of info- if they are asked.

But rumor and objective conjecture also play high in such circles; it makes it difficult at best to ascertain fact from speculation from outright fiction. Even 'peer corroboration' becomes useless, although those sources shouldn't be dismissed outright as that information flow might eventually lead LE to where they need to be to get to the truth, whereas, no information would lead them to nowhere.

Not to rehash the past.. but one comment by WC just bugs me so very much- the "some guy has her" cannot figure out why he said that- why not just say I have no idea or I don't know? Does this bother anyone else or am I just stuck on it for some ridiculous reason that I cannot explain

I forget what he was asked, but if it was "what do you think happened to her?" that answer, which was given a few days after she went missing, didn't seem unreasonable. A lot of people here thought at the time that she was being held. I'm pretty sure some people still think that, and nobody has any inside knowledge about the case.

I take it like her father saying that he thought it was someone she knew - he doesn't know, he's guessing.

We keep going back to the fact that LE isn't warning about danger to the public, but I don't think they would unless they had some good reason to believe another attack was imminent. Realistically, what are they going to ask people to do? Not go outside? I lived in NYC until a few years ago and after 9/11 there were random times where LE warned of a higher risk of attack, and nothing ever happened. Then there were random terrorist attacks with no warning. Even after actual attempted attacks (like the Times Square bombing) Mayor Bloomberg got on TV and told people to go about the normal lives.

Unless there's some concrete evidence of something preventable happening, what is there to warn about? Presumably just announcing that there is a missing person would cause parents to keep a closer eye on their children and people to not venture out alone.
Very good reasoning. There was a case a while back where a teen was abducted and then released. She was afraid to put a sketch of the man out in the public. She was afraid of him. However, the authorities convinced her and he was found. Point being, they told her others were at risk! They NEEDED that sketch drawing. We don't see "constant public warnings" with MT.

I have quoted this before there are ten in this area of high risk offenders located within 10 miles of this place, there are some right on here path one of them.

Whenever I see profiles its always some guy in his mid 40's with partime kids or no kids, how about Sex offenders, they literally have been assigned risk level to do with interviews, and there past, I think the most likely profile is a high risk so that has already been arrested for something else.

That guy that killed dru sjodin recently got out of jail after 23 years for raping a girl and attempted abduciton drove 40 miles to grand forks stalked out local mall stalked a girl in the parking lot and threw her in car in plane sight, in a larger town of 70k people and no one saw or head anyhing.

Our jails are shoving these people back out all the time
It’s a terrible reality that these people are all around us, and not behind bars. It’s for this reason that LE focuses on them, especially early on in an investigation like this. You can safely bet they’ve been interviewed here.

Guys... in small town, rural Iowa, it is not strange at all to walk across town for any reason. Especially in a town you’ve lived in most of your life. A town that is dotted with realatives and friends along the way. It is not strange for teen siblings to share a vehicle. I have three teenaged children, very close to the ages and spacing of Mollie and her brothers. My children do not each have their own vehicle. They share. They work out their school/ work/ and personal schedules with each other and one day doesn’t look the same as the next. It’s messy, it’s sometimes chaotic, but my kids always figure out a way to get where they are going. Sometimes they grab a ride with friends, sometimes a neighbor. I don’t keep track of their daily schedules, as it would be impossible. That’s on them and they are always responsible and arrive on time. Mollie’s mother is giving her children space and life skills by letting them learn to manage time, rides and relationships. Mollie’s mom has deep roots in Brooklyn. Nothing like this has ever happened there. Nothing like this happens in small rural Iowa towns and our kids have lots of freedom. Please think outside the cultural norms of your urban towns. I’m sure the LAST thing Mollie’s brother thought was that something terrible had happened to his responsible, reliable sister. He most likely thought, “Eh, she probably caught a ride with a friend.” Nothing about this situation seems like an abnormal response by anyone in her family. People here have a farming mindset. We are relaxed, friendly, and time moves slow. There has never been a reason for panic in Brooklyn until now.
LE says the public "is in no danger". Why is there panic in Brooklyn? I am asking this slightly "tongue in cheek" but do wonder what is leading the town to panic?

IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #29

I reviewed the video of the presser and extracted this exchange:

Question from reporter:

"Is the public at risk?"

Response from Special Agent (in charge at the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation) Rick Rahn:

bbm

"We don't feel that the public is at risk, per se. I mean, certainly, that's something that people are concerned about, we understand that. But if we, as an investigative agency or an investigative team felt that the public was at risk we would certainly notify them of that, we would provide that information and thus far we haven't found the need to do that at this point."

It's that "per se" that has me wondering.

This tells me MT was purposely singled out a "a" target. Thus why her Dad felt it was someone with "misguided affection." (or words to that effect)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VS2009