Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #29

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just wondering if she ran farther than we're assuming. Here are pictures of two possible routes. In one, it would be a circle from/back to the BF's house. In the second, it would be from the BF's house to her mom's. (The map generated addresses where I dropped points, so I blacked them out. And I cut the route off before it actually reached her mom's house as not to post exactly where her mom lives.)

The circle route is 2.3 miles. The route to her mom's house is 2.1 miles.

Mollie's track records from HS are posted online. In the 1500 meter (so, a little less than one mile), she ran it both times around 7 minutes. In the 3000 meter (so, less than two miles), she ran it in under 15 minutes.

So, for those of you who were in track and still run, how different would her jogging speed be from her track records? Would someone who could run a mile in less than 7 minutes jog at a pace of 20 minutes per mile?

That's at a meet, a shorter distance, years prior at 100% effort...
I would bet her casual slow run days she would be at a 10:15 mile for 3-4 miles

If she started at 7:30 and looped around through town with the idea of eventually ending up at her mom's house, she had plenty of time. She could easily have a route planned that would accomplish this in 45 minutes, and it would still be plenty light. It didn't start getting dark until after 9, if I recall. And in the summer, such a plan is preferable to jogging in the head of the day.
She may have started earlier than 7:30.

1. She typically picks up the car at her mom's house before dark
I snipped PommyMommy's post to just this part.

PommyMommy, can I ask where this info comes from? That she usually picked up the car before dark. I can't find any note of it in MSM. I've read the brother needed the car that night. Then he texted her in the morning to see if she needed it. The only reference I can find about going to her mom's was possibly for brats. Can anyone find reference that she was going to pick up the car that night? tia

"Brother Jake said that on Thursday, July 19, the day Mollie was reported missing to police, he'd texted her in the morning to see if she wanted to borrow a car they shared so she could go to work at Grinnell Regional Medical Center."

Mollie Tibbetts' boyfriend, brothers, father urge witnesses to 'come forward' in exclusive interviews

Wow. Discussing moderation is not allowed. Okay. If I post a response to the person who replied to my deleted post will that response be deleted?
From our rules:
Posting in a thread to comment on, question, or criticize moderator or administrator action is not allowed. Please utilize the board's Private Message/conversation function or email to contact staff if you wish to discuss these issues.

Rules - Etiquette & Information

Sunset on July 18 in Brooklyn was at 8:40PM.
Sunrise and sunset times in Brooklyn, IA - July 2018

She started jogging at 7:30. Her typical 45 minute run takes her to 8:15. If we believe that she ran in a circle, it doesn't really add up that she still had to eat dinner and collect the car and avoid walking/jogging before dark.
———-
It seems so strange to me that she didn’t eat between 5:30-7:30. I don’t like eating right before a run but I would think: she gets home, lets dogs out, feeds them, feeds herself, checks social media, watches tv, etc. then changes and heads out for her run. I know it’s been discussed ad nauseum but it makes the “ok” text to her mom strange to me.

For those who have wondered if MT case is related to Evansville, IN murders ... I do wonder, would the same person who took an 8 and 10 year old (and for what reason) have the same interest in a 20 year old? Don’t normally child abductors want child age?
Generally you are correct. There are of course exceptions but most perpetrators do stick to a certain age group, especially if the crime is sexually motivated.

I posted a route that was 4.17 miles and the .17 could be considered a walking cool down I suppose. From DJ house to mom’s house

Okay, I thought about this route, too. That would keep the initial two witnesses correct (jogging east on Pershing), it would discredit the third witness, but it seems like there might be some problems with his account anyway. But it would put her directly on a path to the intersection where the third red dot is on the police map.

In reply to Otto who wondered why Mollie would go back to her bf’s house instead of picking up the car during her usual jog.
I’m just going to take a stab at this Otto.

After the 5:30 drop off she goes in, let’s the dogs out, feeds them, chills for a while. She texted Mom about dinner at some point. Also at some point she changed into jogging attire. (Side note: Do we know what she was wearing when she was dropped off by her brother?)

At about 7:30 she goes for her 45 minute jog, getting home about 8:15-8:30. This is the time she might have done some homework. There would be light in the sky until after 9:00 in the summer. It said somewhere that her mother said that 1) she didn’t often stay alone at bf’s house, 2) she “kinda lived between the 2 houses that summer”, 3) her mother found 2 of the red camp shirts at her (Mom’s) house.

To answer your question of why she would go back to Mom’s to get the car later instead of while she was out jogging, what if she planned to spend the night at Mom’s? She probably had other clothes there. Maybe she didn’t want to carry extra stuff, so she could swing by her bf’s the next morning to grab her purse, glasses, or anything else she may have needed. She might have wanted to finish homework and let the dog’s out one last time.

OR She was going to pick up the car to go back to the bf’s house and really didn’t think of it as another jog per se, but just a walk/trot to Mom’s on a 1 mile route where she’d grab a bite to eat, hang for a while before heading back.. She always wore the Fitbit and likely wore the phone to listen to some music.

Thoughts?

Ot but I am sure Pence was in Iowa anyway...not a special trip to meet Mollie’s dad. Iowa is a red state as far as I know and the praying bit would appeal...

Also OT, but Iowa isn't a red state. The western part is very red, the university areas are very blue, and the manufacturing centers along the Mississippi generally vote blue due to union influence but are more red in terms of culture. The rest of the state is pretty evenly mixed with a healthy dose of small-l libertarianism thrown in for good measure.

For those who have wondered if MT case is related to Evansville, IN murders ... I do wonder, would the same person who took an 8 and 10 year old (and for what reason) have the same interest in a 20 year old? Don’t normally child abductors want child age?

You mean Evansdale, IA, I presume? Two girls were abducted and murdered in Delphi, IN (Abby and Libby) with a very similar case to the girls in Evansdale, also along the highway. Many believe the murders were connected and police have not ruled out a connection, from my understanding. From what I've read, it sounds very likely those two could have a connection. Personally, I don't have enough information to form a conclusive opinion about whether Mollie's case could be connected to Lyric and Lizzie. As you mentioned, I have wondered why someone who abducted an 8 and 10 year old would abduct a 20 year old. However, we know killers often evolve, so it's not entirely impossible, and it's been 6 years. Theoretically, we don't know what has happened in this individual's life during this time period.

PommyMommy, can I ask where this info comes from? That she usually picked up the car before dark. I can't find any note of it in MSM. I've read the brothe

"Brother Jake said that on Thursday, July 19, the day Mollie was reported missing to police, he'd texted her in the morning to see if she wanted to borrow a car they shared so she could go to work at Grinnell Regional Medical Center."

Mollie Tibbetts' boyfriend, brothers, father urge witnesses to 'come forward' in exclusive interviews

——
So strange, too, that this wasn’t decided before, when he dropped her off. “Hey, do you need the car tomorrow?” “Yeah, I’ll get it later” or “no, I’ve got a ride”

Okay, I thought about this route, too. That would keep the initial two witnesses correct (jogging east on Pershing), it would discredit the third witness, but it seems like there might be some problems with his account anyway. But it would put her directly on a path to the intersection where the third red dot is on the police map.
Yes! And the only reason I put the jog up Mills St was because of a weird feeling I got when watching SharonNeedles video #3. Could have been Mills to Green to Boundary and up to North. The Mills/Green/Pleasant area bothers me a lot.

Edit: Correction ...it was video #4

Last edited:
IMO, I am a runner (9 half marathons) and no runner would run twice.
I run half as well. I ran twice a day some weeks. That was my groups routine. Also a long run every other week of 12 plus miles. In my very small town we ran alone, down back roads, and gravel roads at dusk and dawn..... my long run was my spa. Loud music playing. I got surprised many times by a car or something passing by that I never heard. After watching or reading one of the MANY crime or serial killer documentaries, I quit doing that... MT’s town looks similar. We know everyone (or think we do) we get complacent and drop our guard. Now that I travel, I have to keep reminding myself to lock my doors... MOO is possible SK, she was being watched, someone got her on back road, possibly taking advantage of her listening to music to snatch her or hit her with the car just enough to stun her. If she knows them??? Then was too trusting? I do worry tho that this will go cold. Elizabeth Smart was held right by her home. In her book she talks of the hopeless feeling when the searches were called off. I do think they should be actively searching unless they have proof she’s dead but not yet located... JMO

PommyMommy, can I ask where this info comes from? That she usually picked up the car before dark. I can't find any note of it in MSM. I've read the brother needed the car that night. Then he texted her in the morning to see if she needed it. The only reference I can find about going to her mom's was possibly for brats. Can anyone find reference that she was going to pick up the car that night? tia

Thank you for asking that again gliving. I also asked that question, but never got a response.

It also makes more sense when Mollie's Dad said in a statement, "She doesn't drive.", that "borrowing" the car meant needing to borrow her brother driving the car that they co-owned.

Let me rephrase because I’m curious about who might have seen Mollie to become possibly negatively attracted to her. On July 18th when her brother dropped her off at 5:30, did he have to pick her up from her job? Or did she have the car while she was at work and then have to pick him up from his job first? Never heard anything about if her brother needs the car to go to work during the day as well. Also what time did she finish work and how far a drive is it from her place of work to Brooklyn?
I believe someone told me her brother had picked her up at work, but I don't know that for a fact. I have wondered if she got a ride back from someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member