Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #29

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
——
So strange, too, that this wasn’t decided before, when he dropped her off. “Hey, do you need the car tomorrow?” “Yeah, I’ll get it later” or “no, I’ve got a ride”

We don't know that it wasn't. She may have said she needed it which prompted his text the next morning when she hadn't picked it up. Or it may have been up in the air when they parted and she was supposed to let him know later.

In reply to Otto who wondered why Mollie would go back to her bf’s house instead of picking up the car during her usual jog.
I’m just going to take a stab at this Otto.

After the 5:30 drop off she goes in, let’s the dogs out, feeds them, chills for a while. She texted Mom about dinner at some point. Also at some point she changed into jogging attire. (Side note: Do we know what she was wearing when she was dropped off by her brother?)

At about 7:30 she goes for her 45 minute jog, getting home about 8:15-8:30. This is the time she might have done some homework. There would be light in the sky until after 9:00 in the summer. It said somewhere that her mother said that 1) she didn’t often stay alone at bf’s house, 2) she “kinda lived between the 2 houses that summer”, 3) her mother found 2 of the red camp shirts at her (Mom’s) house.

To answer your question of why she would go back to Mom’s to get the car later instead of while she was out jogging, what if she planned to spend the night at Mom’s? She probably had other clothes there. Maybe she didn’t want to carry extra stuff, so she could swing by her bf’s the next morning to grab her purse, glasses, or anything else she may have needed. She might have wanted to finish homework and let the dog’s out one last time.

OR She was going to pick up the car to go back to the bf’s house and really didn’t think of it as another jog per se, but just a walk/trot to Mom’s on a 1 mile route where she’d grab a bite to eat, hang for a while before heading back.. She always wore the Fitbit and likely wore the phone to listen to some music.

Thoughts?
My issue with this is that the last known sightings of Mollie were on her jog (earlier). Your scenario is possible, but the lack of further sightings makes it unlikely for me.

It's nothing unusual for elite athletes to train 6 hours a day, but Mollie was not an elite athlete. She was a recreational jogger who was known to jog to her mom's house in the evenings before dusk to collect the car. Given the timeline of 7:30 to dusk, including a 45 minute run, it doesn't make much sense that she would lose the light by running in a circle and then run or walk again to the other end of Brooklyn at dusk.
Otto, but MAYBE for SOME odd reason she had to go back home for something. There is that possibility. Maybe to finish work. Do students submit assignments online. Maybe she had a deadline she forgot about. I don't know, because I don't go to school and have never done work online before. Just all MY assumptions. I am still thinking she was kidnapped while out on her run though and she possibly maybe never went back home (but I just don't know).

My issue with this is that the last known sightings of Mollie were on her jog (earlier). Your scenario is possible, but the lack of further sightings makes it unlikely for me.
If no one else has come forward. If LE hasn’t told us that. If she turned off 2nd and jogged up Clay to the path that goes to her mom’s. Would someone have seen her there?

When everyone was sleeping, I couldn't stop thinking about what an "awareness space" transportation corridor would look like if there was a connection between the two cases. I came up with three maps:
  • what the dots in the Brooklyn map might mean
  • what major routes connect the two locations
  • where an abductor might leave a body if this was not the first abduction/murder
Highway 21 is the major route between Evansdale and Brooklyn, and it is a factor in the Guernsey search area. This might be completely wrong thinking, but if there is a connection, I'm curious about what that might look like. Belle Plaine seemed like a good place for a body, similar hunting/fishing area to Seven Bridges Park.

Finally, I wondered where someone might live if they abducted in Evansdale and Brooklyn. The two rectangular boxes seem like possibilities.
Very early on for me I posted suggesting they look into who has hunting/trapping permission near pig farm. Now maybe a second area to compare to near Evansdale. Moo, look into who's worked in both places. This is worth studying.

I agree that if deceased, she may not be far away. Unfortunately in that area there is a lot of heavy equipment that could be used to hide a body very well and one might never be found.
NewYork625, I agree too. I really think she is in that area around WC's farm. I say that because I think that is when Mollie was fighting for her life with the perp and something happened at that time like maybe the fitbit data stopped or the phone stopped pinging or that's the last place the phone pinged when her fitbit stopped.

I believe someone told me her brother had picked her up at work, but I don't know that for a fact. I have wondered if she got a ride back from someone else.
Too many things to wonder about. It’s just that she’s arriving back home close to the same time LE has asked for info. 5:00 (5:30). If she stopped somewhere on the way home she could have been spotted? Followed? Maybe she or she and her brother stopped at the truck stop. Long shot I know. And jmo

——
So strange, too, that this wasn’t decided before, when he dropped her off. “Hey, do you need the car tomorrow?” “Yeah, I’ll get it later” or “no, I’ve got a ride”

Maybe "I dunno. I'll let you know."

(Personal anecdote here. I have a very sweet, loving, and lovable family member who hates to be pinned down to any sort of timetable or plans, even when it's in her best interests to do so.)

Yes, meant Evansdale IA not IN, oops.

After seeing SharonNeedles vids ... I know there are some buildings and businesses in Brooklyn, but geez ... area is wide, vast, whatever you want to call it. I can see how no one maybe saw anything. Plus very few people out as others have mentioned, at least during SN’s drive thru.

For those who have wondered if MT case is related to Evansville, IN murders ... I do wonder, would the same person who took an 8 and 10 year old (and for what reason) have the same interest in a 20 year old? Don’t normally child abductors want child age?

Mollie was 5'2" or 5'3" and 120 lbs. I don't know how anyone who saw her jogging would know whether she was 16 or 24 years old.

NewYork625, I agree too. I really think she is in that area around WC's farm. I say that because I think that is when Mollie was fighting for her life with the perp and something happened at that time like maybe the fitbit data stopped or the phone stopped pinging or that's the last place the phone pinged when her fitbit stopped.
They searched that area and brought in dogs.

@Veracity
Interested in the course Mollie was taking? Anyone know specifics about how it worked? Confusion you mentioned group project for an Online classes. How were the groups determined? And you mentioned you could text other students - so was a class roll distributed? Or posted somewhere? Interested in whether Mollie's telephone number would make it obvious she was from Brooklyn?
The instructor assigned groups, most of the contact came from the discussion boards and group projects, there was no class roll distributed, but everyone had to post on the discussion boards each week, several of us did exchange phone numbers in order to discuss classes (or instructors) without having to go through their messaging system. I have no idea how her course was (or courses were) set up, but I'm sure she spoke to plenty of other students when she was there in person. I'd be surprised if her home town and a lot of other information didn't come up in conversations; she seems to be a pretty open person.

Thanks for the link - surely do seem to be similar other than the ages.

You're very welcome. I think it is possible the three cases may all be related. Of those I think there is more chance the Delphi and Evansdale murders are related. Those sets of victims look so much alike. But I'd not rule out all three cases are one serial killer.

moo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member